none
Cisco VPN Client 5.0.00.0340 and Windows Vista

General discussion

•  

Hello,

I thought I would use this post as a forum for fixes with Cisco VPN Client and Windows Vista. I have been doing support for Cisco VPN for about fours and noticed that most of the fixes I find are suggestions from posts like this. Please post any fixes, questions, and suggestions related to Cisco VPN and Vista. I will check a couple times a week to see if I can help or if someone has another fix I can add to my book of tricks.

Error 442: failed to enable virtual adapter.

Resolution

1. Try rebooting the computer and then try connecting again

2. Uninstall and reinstall
    - Control Panel - Programs and Features
    - Select Partners Cisco Systems VPN Client and select uninstall
    - Restart the computer
    - Then load the client again.

3. Another possible fix for this Cisco bug is to perform the following steps:
    - Control Panel - Network and Internet
    - Open Network and Sharing Center
    - Open Network Connection Manager
    - Enable the virtual adapter ("Cisco VPN Adapter")
    - Right click on it and select "Diagnose"
    - Select Fix

"Error 56: Unable to start the Cisco Systems Inc. VPN Service...."
    I opened a TAC case and followed the tips provided to no avail. He was a very friendly and timely person (nothing intended against Cisco Support in this post, just wanted to share my fix). The last tip I got was to re-image.

I fixed it by uninstalling Cisco, rebooting, and deleting all Cisco registry keys (do at your own risk and be careful of key words that have Cisco in them ie. ccISCore, Francisco, etc). Then reinstalling.

Error 440: Driver Failure

Usually related to Deterministic Network Enhancer

DNE suggestion - you can manually add the service to the local area connection.

Control Panel - Network and Internet
    - Open Manage Network Connection
    - Right click on the Local Area Connection
    - Select Install
    - Select Service
    - Select Have Disk
    - Select browse and browse to c:\program files\common\Deterministic Networks\DNE\dne2000
    - Select Open

Error 413: User Authentication Failed

Resolution
    If the user receives this error message before being prompted to put in their password:
    1. Close the Cisco VPN Client, re-launch and try again.
    2. If step 1 doesn't work, please reboot and try again. (note: this has worked in several cases)

If the user receives this error message after putting in their password:
    1. The User will need to contact their admin for a password issue.

Please post questions, suggestions, or fixes and I will check a couple times a week.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:22 PM

All replies

•  

Regarding  Error message442:  Have tried both recommendations to no avail.  Uninstalling the software lead to a computer crash.  Is it possible that the software is simply not  Vista ready?
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 12:54 PM
  • I can see your frustration and do agree with it. we have about 200 users on Cisco 5.0.00.0340 and there have been a wide array of the errors I posted above. Error 442 is one of the most common. I actually had one yesterday that I couldn't fix, so I am having the machine come in today. Here are a couple more fixes for 442.

Here's a couple more suggestion.

1. Control Panel - Network and Internet
    - Right click on Local Area connection and properties
    - On the Sharing tab, uncheck the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection". - Reboot and try again

2.  Go into the Network Properties and find the Cisco Systems Virtual Adapter.

Open it and assign it an IP address manually. Any IP address can be assigned.

Click OK.

I did that on the user's laptop and assigned Cisco Virtual Adapter 192.168.1.1. That fixed the problem.

Good Luck and let me know if this helps.

Friday, September 14, 2007 12:24 PM
  • Hello,

Just found out that SQL 2005 sp2 can cause Error 442, failed to enable virtual adapter. Try to remove that application and then try Cisco again.

Good luck1

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:21 PM
  • For error 56, see this http://answersy.com/zchen/2007/09/19/how-to-fix-error-56-the-cisco-systems-inc-vpn-service/
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:50 PM
  • Hello,

I appreciate the reply.

That fix did not fix the problem for my users on Windows Vista. Only thing I could do was uninstall and sweep the registry of Cisco and reinstall to fix it.

Thanks for the post.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:40 PM
  • I am trying to install Cisco VPN 5.0 for Windows Vista and am getting an error concerning the Deterministic Network Enhancer with return code 517799898. The error tells me I the DNE can't be loaded then rolls back the installation. I've tried the install logged-in as myself and as administrator; neither install was successful. I checked my registry as suggested in another forum and that was fine but I still can't install VPN. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Emily

Monday, October 08, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Hello,

My first suggestion would be to open a TAC case with Cisco, BUT... here is what I did to get around that problem.

- Right click on the Local Area Connection/properties

At this point, you may see the Deteministic Network Enhancer there already. Remove it and then reboot and try the install again.

If it is not there:

- Select Install
    - Select Service
    - Select Have Disk
    - Select browse and browse to c:\program files\common\Deterministic Networks\DNE\dne2000
    - Select Open

Then try the install again.

Good Luck,

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for responding. That sort of helped, in that I'm getting a new error message. Now when it gets to the DNE, a message pops-up telling me the install requires a reboot, perform the action and try the install again. Then it rolls back everything its done.

I rebooted my machine and re-did the install but I got the same reboot message. I was going to uninstall the DNE but when I opened the properties on the LAN the Deterministic Network Enhancer was not listed!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:20 PM
  • Hi there, i've recently been having trouble with "deterministic networks VPN" saying that there is compatability issues... Precisely it says "This driver is incompatible with the version of windows you are upgrading to. It is likely that the driver is part of another networking software package and will need to be uninstalled before you attempt to upgrade again..

the thing is, i wasn't aware i was upgrading my software, i'm runnning windows vista and it just seemed to appear all of a sudden.. i haven't tried installing anything new... If you had any ideas it would be appreciated, cheers Shboy.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:58 AM
  • I am running Vista Ultimate and have installed version 5.0.00.0090-k9-beta. It worked great for about 2 days and now the Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service will not stay started. I can manually start it, but it shuts itself off after about 2 seconds. Tried reinstalling and does that same thing.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:32 AM
  • Hi Emily,

I am having the same problem did, where you able to resolve the problem.

Thanks

Brett

Friday, October 19, 2007 6:39 PM
  • I was finally able to resolve the DNE requires reboot problem by renaming the dneinobj.dll file in windows\system32\ and renaming the dne2000.sys file in windows\system32\drivers.  I simply added .old to the end of the file names and then rebooted.  Once logged back in I was able to complete the vpn client install in vista.

Monday, October 22, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Thanks. I finally got it to install.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Hello,

Here are some more DNE suggestions for other users from Cisco.

You need to manually uninstall the vpn client

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080094b7f.shtml

If this does not work, please go to: http://deterministicnetworks.com/ and install the latest upgrade of the DNE.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:25 PM
  •  

I know this is not a fix but Im running ver vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.01.0600-k9 on Vista Business and its worked 100% of the time no problems. When I got my Vista machine I was concerned that this vpn would let me down but its solid.

One problem I do get is the user is getting 412 error and the like. They are using a wired connection but also have the wirless NIC on the vpn client is confused and does not know what NIC to use. When I tell the user to disable turn off the wireless card the vpn works. As far as I can tell from Cisco this (5.0.01.0600) is the most up-to-date ver therefore has the best chance of working on Vista out of the box. The prob with the wireless NIC/Wired NIC is on XP Pro clients but its always good to try off the wireless if you are using vpn on a cabled DSL link. thks

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:19 PM
  • well

i got the same problem here

the only difference i have is that my vpn connection works fine with the wireless on

but when i want to connect trough wireless they laptop crashes al the time

do you got any solutions for that ?

Friday, November 02, 2007 4:20 PM
  • Sorry not sure whether you are saying it works with the wireless or not? Please let me know. With remote workers I encouraged them to use the wired connnection whenever possible, if you need to use wireless fine but there no such point if they are sat next to the router and can simply plug in a wired connection, why make it more complicated than it needs to be. As always make sure the network drivers are up to date and the Cisco VPN clients is the most up to date. Also run a BIOS update on the notebook. I would need more information to comment more what is crashing,  is rebooted in the event logs good luck

Monday, November 05, 2007 11:21 AM
  • Well I have a question about creating certificates through VPN client. My problem is I am enrolling through a file request, specifying the file name as 'C:\XXXXX'; everything seems to be fine but at the end of the day i can not find that file in my C:\ drive. I have tried numerous times but could not generate it as a file.

Did anyone have the same problem on Vista using Cisco VPN Client 5.0.00.0340?

Thanks in advance.

Ibrahim

Friday, November 09, 2007 9:58 AM
  • Not neccessarily a problem with using cisco vpn but if you have it installed and then install a vista app compatibility update it stops all your network adapters with error code 41 or 42 in device manager. theres no upper or lower class filters does anyone know if the client actually patches the ndis driver itself?
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:21 AM
  •  

Guys,

Just installed Cisco VPN Client 5.0.00.0340 on Windows Vista Pro full windows updated. The installation was OK but after i configured my default Connection Entry I keep getting the following error:

Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by Client.

Reason 429: Unable to resolve server address.

Connection terminated on: XXXXXXXX  Duration: XXXXXXXXX

I've troubleshooted doing tests with all my NICs (WiFi and LAN) even if I disable all other connections I keep getting the same "error"...

I've unistalled the app twice and nothing changed.

Any ideas?

Thks in advance.

R

Thursday, December 06, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Hello Dom Pedro,

That is most likely related to the connection entry file. I suggest being sure you are using the correct connection entry file. You can copy the file (.pcf) from a known working machine to your machine and select import. That should fix your problem.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 8:20 PM
  • I tried the above suggestion with Cisco VPN in Vista and it gives me the 442 error. Error says that the VPN connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter. Any other suggestions? Are either Windows Vista or Cisco planning an official fix for this problem in the near future? Thanks. 

Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:33 AM
  • Hello 422 is an odd one, but it reflects a disconnection to the internet.

Reason 422: Lost contact with the security gateway. Check your network connection.
    -------------------------------------------
    Description or Action:
    The machine's IP address changed or the machine is no longer connected to the Internet.
    Note: The VPN Client is required to disconnect the VPN tunnel for security reasons, if the machines IP Address has changed.

442 fixes are below -

Reason 442: Failed to enable virtual adapter.
    -------------------------------------------
    Description or Action:
    Attempt a reboot before trying again. Or go to network connection property pages and try to manually enable/disable the _Cisco Systems VPN Adapter_.  Also try to add the following line to vpnclient.ini: [main] VAEnableAlt=0.

Resolution

1. Try rebooting the computer and then try connecting again

2. Uninstall and reinstall
    - Control Panel - Programs and Features
    - Select Partners Cisco Systems VPN Client and select uninstall
    - Restart the computer
    - Then load the client again

3. - Control Panel - Network and Internet
    - Right click on Local Area connection and properties
    - On the Sharing tab, uncheck the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection". - Reboot and try again

4.  I have also seen Error 442 on Vista with a program called Bit Defender - an all-in-one Security center w/ A/V, firewall etc. Disabling it in System Tray was not sufficient - had to remove the Firewall component (wound up uninstalling the whole program, but removing the Firewall component resolved the 442 error).

5. Another possible fix for this Cisco bug is to perform the following steps:
    - Control Panel - Network and Internet
    - Enable the virtual adapter ("Cisco VPN Adapter")
    - Right click on it and select "Diagnose"
    - Select Fix

Thursday, January 03, 2008 3:09 PM
  • I have a similiar issue with Vista and VPN on a IBM T61 w\Enterprise. I have used Cisco VPN clients 5.0.00.0340 & 5.0.01.0600. Fresh Vista install. The wireless card is Intel WiFi Link 4965AG adapter with the latest & greatest driver from Intel 11.5.0.32.  I can (slowly) VPN successfully connected with a CAT5 but as soon as I go in via wirelessly I blue screen after 30 seconds. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Teresdo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface due it sometime showed that it is not started but afterwards it shows ok in device manager.  I have tried different transports on the VPN client & I have the latest BIOS.  I am guessing since it works connected and not wirelessly then something with either the VPN client or something with the Wireless card adapter or settings so thats why I am asking my fellow professionals for some assistance.

Is SP1 available yet and where if so?

Cisco wants money for a upgraded registered user to open a TAC ticket but I work for a company so if any one has any work arounds for that or a answer to this riddle, it would be helpful.  Happy weekend!

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:04 PM
  • that's what i thought. i keep having the problem of using VPN client in Vista. even the VPN client is the most uptodate version. dont know why they just cant fix this annoying bug.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:25 AM
  • I've tried everything you listed above and I still am getting the 442 error- I don't know what else to do.  My VPN worked fine up until Wednesday- I was VPN'd into my office from 2pm-11pm Tuesday night, then came home Wednesday to the error- it has errored ever since...ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Any other ticks up your sleeve??  I'm wondering if reformatting my box will resolve, but that is a last ditch effort!

All assistance appreciated!

Lisa

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:41 PM
  • I have the very same issue.  I can connect wired fine but as soon as I go VPN and wireless -- BSOD here I come... I upgraded to the Cisco VPN 5.0.02.0090 and latest wireless drivers (Intel Wireless 4965AGN).  It works fine but then I installed netmon 3.1 -- BAM BSOD after 30 seconds.  I then removed netmon 3.1 and have better success. Am I missing something or was Vista supposed to prevent bad drivers from causing a blue screen?  I understand this is 3rd party party issue but Vists is supposed to prevent blue screens....
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:41 PM
  • I have an issue similar to this with the wired connection but I don’t get the 442 error

I setup a new PC with Vista business preloaded and installed Cisco client Cisco VPN Client 5.0.03.0530 on it without a hitch. I log in the VPN and am accepted into our network; receive an IP address then nothing. I can’t ping or scan anything on the network nor can I see the station from our network. If I run a “Diagnose Network Problems” I receive the error unable to contact DNS. We have many users that use VPN to work from offsite locations and have never had this issue using WIN XP, this is happening only to our users that have Vista. I am trying to troubleshoot this for our users. I have switched off the Windows Firewall and disabled the TCP/IPv6 using TCP/IPv4 as is our standard. Our network group sees no issues with the concentrator or the network configurations, we are not deploying Vista as a standard at this time but are having to deal with Corporate users that use there own equipment. This is becoming an issue and we need to have a resolution ASAP. HELP!!!!!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 6:46 PM
  • Renaming dneinobj.dll and dne200 resolved my issue.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:24 PM
  • Thank you. This resolved my issue.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:25 PM

• The following procedure worked perfectly for me (FOR THE FIRST DAY). This working setup is on a Vista Enterprise SP1 and Cisco VPN Client v5.0.03.0530.

-Uninstall VPN client.
    -Restart
    -Install DNE Update. (http://www.deterministicnetworks.com/support/dnesupport.asp)
    -Restart
    -Log on as administrator
    -Install VPN client (Right click “run as admin”)
    -Restart
    -Open VPN client
    -Open task manager
    -Click “show process from all users”
    -Set both cvpnd.exe and vpngui.exe for XP SP2 Compatibility mode, and check the “run as administrator” box
    -Restart

You will have to click the UAC prompt when starting windows, and when opening the client UI.

Note: I have had some strange issues when the client first starts. Sometime Split tunneling isn't working, but I disconnect and reconnect and it usually fixes the problem.

Note: So this setup worked flawlessly for a day. 3 restarts later, I'm getting the same 442 error. There is no way I'm going to go through this procedure every time I want to connect to my VPN.

This is really gettting old. I'm getting ready to go buy a new VPN solution that actually works on Vista.

Cisco/Microsoft,
     Please resolve this issue ASAP. It is making it imposible for my company to upgrade to Vista. We have 2000+ remote users that rely on the Cisco VPN to get their job done, and I have to tell them they cant use the latest/greatest OS??? It seems like Cisco and Microsoft need to work together to resolve this MAJOR problem.

My manager asked me...
    "Why cant I use Vista to connect to our network, I thought it was supposed to be better than XP?"
    My Response...
    "Cisco and Microsoft can't seem to work together to fix a major problem in there software, and unfortunantly untill then we have to stick to XP.
    His Response...
    Would it be a good idea to move away from the Cisco brand?
    My Response...
    Yep, it's starting to look like it.

HELP!!!!

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:35 PM
  • I ran into a computer with Vista that had that issue where it would do that and then basically uninstall it's self upon reboot.
    The reason is that a cmd line of code is being put in at start up that causes this too happen. You can use a program like ccleaner to modify the start up, After you install the program but before you reboot, remove the cisco entries in start up.
    Then reboot and the VPN will work perfectly
    Friday, May 30, 2008 3:51 PM
  • I just want to say Thanks to Paul!

Cleaning up the registry and making sure the program didn't run on startup, cleared up all my issues.

I can finally relax!!!

Thanks Again!!!

JoMoMoFo
    Saturday, June 07, 2008 12:23 AM
  • I was using the same VPN client v5.0.03.0530 on Vista fine, it was taking longer to connect and split tunneling was working ok till I upgraded to Vista SP1 then I lost the split tunneling capability,

Microsoft/Cisco. please try to resolve these issues before you termintae XP in 2009

thx

moe

Sunday, June 08, 2008 12:52 PM
  • I have the same problem. I installed Vista SP1 this weekend and split tunneling stopped working.  I also experienced slow connection times.

Anyone have any resolutions??

Thanks,

res

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:42 AM
  • This is what I found I hope it helps

Windows Vista with SP1 makes changes to the Cisco client effectively disabling it. Users that update with SP1 suddenly find that they no longer are able to connect even though they were able to before. What happens is that the client properties are changed and the Enable Transparent Tunneling is un-checked in the Transport tab (on older clients it is on the main tab). Check the Enable Transparent Tunneling box and make sure the IPSae over UDP (NAT / PAT) is also checked and the VPN Client should be able to communicate when the authorized user connects. We are using Cisco client 5.0.01.0600 and 5.0.03.0530

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:09 PM
  • That didn't work.  I found this on Cisco's site.  I will try rolling back.

CSCsq22642 Bug Details  

Vista: 5.0.03.05xx client w/split tunnel incorrectly adds 0.0.0.0 route. 
    Symptom:
    Cisco VPN Client versions 5.0.03.05xx installed on Windows Vista incorrectly installs a "0.0.0.0" route in the MS routing table when the client is doing split tunneling. With split tunneling, no "0.0.0.0" route should be installed by the client. This can break split tunneling functionality for the client.

Conditions:
    VPN Client 5.0.03.05xx must be installed on Vista. The client must also be doing split tunneling.

Workaround:
    Problem does not occur on previous versions of the VPN client (5.0.02.xxx for instance). Also does not happen on other MS OSs. 

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:40 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry folks, I have been neglecting my own post. I actually switched email addresses and was not getting alerted anymore.

I appreciate all the questions and suggestions from others. (like the split tunneling etc.)

Here are some more suggestions that I have found over the last year for problems with Cisco VPN and Vista.

1. error 442 - actually had to have the user turn off the cable modem for 3 minutes and it worked. I am not sure why that is the case because the error says "failed to enable the Virtual adapter", but I can only guess that a packet is getting stuck on the ISP side.

2. "Error 56: The Cisco Systems Inc. VPN Service has not been started, please start the service and try again."

Cause
    User maybe using a Shared Internet Connection.

Resolution
    Launch Control Panel (Classic view)
    - Network and Sharing Center
    - Select manage network connections (left pane)
    - Right click on the local area connection (Ethernet Card) and select properties
    - On the sharing tab uncheck "allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection."
    - Close out all Windows
    - Launch the Control Panel and select Administrative Tools
    - Select Services
    - Select Cisco Systems Inc. VPN Service and select Start to start the service
    - Try to connect to Cisco VPN

FYI. I am going to start a new post for Cisco Clean Access. We have had our share of problems with it at my corp. and I haven't been very lucky with other web sites and forums. My hope is to have people add to the experiences I have seen and I will try to help when I can.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:07 PM
  • That didn't work for me. I have Vista Ultimate, a WiFi connection and Cisco VPN client v5.0.02.0090. It used to fork fine until I installed SP1. Now it behaves the same as you describe, ie. adds a 0.0.0.0 route.

Here's my "route print" before VPN connection:
    ===========================================================================
    Interface List
     22 ...00 01 e3 f2 f1 10 ...... Gigaset USB Stick 108
      1 ........................... Software Loopback Interface 1
      9 ...02 00 54 55 4e 01 ...... Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
     23 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  isatap.hispeed.ch

IPv4 Route Table
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.2.1    192.168.2.202     25
            127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
            127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
          192.168.2.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
        192.168.2.202  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
        192.168.2.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
    Persistent Routes:
      None

IPv6 Route Table
    Active Routes:
     If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
      9     18 ::/0                     On-link
      1    306 ::1/128                  On-link
      9     18 2001::/32                On-link
      9    266 2001:0Big Smile5c7:a2ca:2890:1dd4:af25:7b69/128
                                        On-link
      9    266 fe80::/64                On-link
      9    266 fe80::2890:1dd4:af25:7b69/128
                                        On-link
      1    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
      9    266 ff00::/8                 On-link
    Persistent Routes:
      None

And here's the table after the VPN connection is made:
    Interface List
     22 ...00 01 e3 f2 f1 10 ...... Gigaset USB Stick 108
     12 ...00 05 9a 3c 78 00 ...... Cisco Systems VPN Adapter
      1 ........................... Software Loopback Interface 1
     29 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
      9 ...02 00 54 55 4e 01 ...... Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
     23 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  isatap.hispeed.ch

IPv4 Route Table
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.2.1    192.168.2.202     25
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    129.129.235.1  129.129.235.128     26
            127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
            127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        129.129.235.0    255.255.255.0         On-link   129.129.235.128    281
      129.129.235.128  255.255.255.255         On-link   129.129.235.128    281
      129.129.235.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   129.129.235.128    281
          192.168.2.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
        192.168.2.202  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
        192.168.2.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link   129.129.235.128    281
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.2.202    281
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   129.129.235.128    281
    Persistent Routes:
      Network Address          Netmask  Gateway Address  Metric
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    129.129.235.1       1

IPv6 Route Table
    Active Routes:
     If Metric Network Destination      Gateway
      9     18 ::/0                     On-link
      1    306 ::1/128                  On-link
      9     18 2001::/32                On-link
      9    266 2001:0Big Smile5c7:a2ca:2890:1dd4:af25:7b69/128
                                        On-link
      9    266 fe80::/64                On-link
      9    266 fe80::2890:1dd4:af25:7b69/128
                                        On-link
      1    306 ff00::/8                 On-link
      9    266 ff00::/8                 On-link
    Persistent Routes:
      None

Needless to say, I can't connect to anything.

Any more ideas?

Hena
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 8:29 AM
  • I was running 5.0.03.0530 and it had been working fine but today I kept getting error 442. I upgraded to 5.0.03.0560 and had the same problem. I tried the "diagnose" fix but it did not work.

Assigning an IP address worked the first time. THANK YOU.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:47 AM
  • I am only getting Error Code 413 on Windows Vista when I attempt to login with username / password, if I use client on XP, connects correctly with same username / password.

On VPN server side, in the logs, indicates username & SYNTAX error.

Any suggestions, has anyone seen this problem before.

Thanks

Joel W.

Friday, September 05, 2008 2:54 AM
  • Hi resnetworks. Can you send me please the link to this Cisco bug CSCsq22642?  I can't found more information (or resolution) about it

Friday, September 05, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Reason 442, some things to try....

1. Try this, as it is in the release notes.

Error 442: Failed to enable virtual adapter
    Open Network and Sharing Center
    Open Network Connection Manager
    Enable the virtual adapter (“Cisco VPN Adapter”)
    Right-click on it and select “Diagnose”
    Select “Fix…”

If this doesn't work
    Run the following from ‘cmd':
    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    Reboot

2. This worked for one person.

1. start->settings->network connections
    2. for each, sharing tab
    3. disable connection sharing

3. This worked for another person.

Try this as well -

http://www.verier.co.uk/subtext/archive/2008/01/09/reason-442-failed-to-enable-virtual-adapter-with-cisco-vpn.aspx

4. This one I was not able to get to work, but it may be worth a try.

I have had Reason 442 errors, IP Conflicts, and the program hanging in the "securing connections" mode. I was running into dead-end solutions, until I stumbled upon this fix:

open your saved profile in an editor like notebook and inject the following line into the [main] section of the script

UseLegacyIKEPort=0

5. Lastly, this didn't work for me, but did for someone else.

Remove VPN Client from Startup folder

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Hello JoelW,

413 was previously a problem with only Authentication (username, password, and your connection entry file). First be sure that your Syntax error is not related to your password or in my case (we use a password followed by a SecurID token number.

So if everything else is correct. Try this based on the before and after entering your password.

If the user receives this error message before being prompted to put in their password:

1. Close the Cisco VPN Client, re-launch and try again.
    2. If step 1 doesn't work, please reboot and try again.
    3. If the user see the login window flash and disappear, the problem is related to a third party application that saves passwords. Here are some instructions:

IBM thinkpad (Lenovo)
    - Launch Start/ThinkVantage
    - Select Client Security Solutions
    - Select Passwords - Manage logon passwords
    - You should be able to delete the save password for the "VPNGUI"
    - Close and try to connect to Cisco VPN again

HP/Compaq
    - Launch Start/programs/HP ProtectTools Security Manager
    - Select Credential Manager
    - Select Services and Applications
    - Select Manage Applications and Credentials
    - Delete the "VPN GUI" entry
    - Close and try to connect to Cisco VPN again.

If the user receives this error message after putting in their password:

1. The User will need have their SecurID Token resynched or the password reset.
    2. The connection entry file (.pcf) may need to be replaced. This can be done with an uninstall and reinstall.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Guys,

I REALLY want to thank you for your help. This solved my problem! It was the following steps that worked for me:

Error 440: Driver Failure

Usually related to Deterministic Network Enhancer

DNE suggestion - you can manually add the service to the local area connection.

- Right click on the Local Area Connection
    - Select Install
    - Select Service
    - Select Have Disk
    - Select Open

-Rickeolis-

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi Henna,

I have got the same probleme. But I cannot find an direct answer on your potcast. Is there a solution?

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:23 PM
  •  

Glad to hear.

Thanks for the mention!

Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:41 PM
  • I have tried everything here but still get error 442. I have tried turning on the log->Log Settings to get more details but can't get it to write more details in 5.0.02.0090. How can I generate detailed logs for investigation?
    Friday, November 14, 2008 9:31 PM
  • On my Vista Business PC I get a Error 1720 when trying to install/uninstall the Cisco VPN (5.0.02.0090)

I have tried using the tips from http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080094b7f.shtml but to no avail.

I'm trying to upgrade to version 5.0.03.0560 .

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Many of these errors are common, Try the following link.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a00801f253d.shtml#topic1

Most of them will have solutions built in to that page when you choose your error,reason or warning code.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 8:01 PM
  • I'm finding it difficult to find my error code that would work according to the link you gave me above.

The only error code that I know of is: Error 1720

I the drop-down list on this page doesn't list 1720 as an option.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:54 PM
  • Is this error occuring in the VPN or when you are attempting to install it ? Because error 1720 generally refers to the windows installer package being corrupted, If it's an install error and you have tried a fresh download of the setup file, Perhaps the windows installer itself is bad. First go here http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml

Download and run that file and see if it automatically rolls back the VPN installation.
    then proceed to http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Download the installer that corresponds with your Operating system.
    Now attempt to install the VPN once more
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:25 PM
  • what about my problem? i install 5.0.03.560 and for one time only i connect to a vpn nicely..but after disconecting i lose connectivity with everything. i get unidentified network error and cant connect not even localy...any ideas???

i resolved that problem before by restoring...but i need that vpn client to work... i must find a workarround. any help would be appreciated
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:41 AM
  • Please provide a details 'fix' for the reason 429.  I know that I've encountered this before and it was really simple.   Thanks

Friday, November 28, 2008 7:20 PM
  • I have Vista Business SP1 and the Cisco VPN client I was able to connect successfully, but wasn't able to ping any of the servers on the network.  I think it had something to do with the network tunneling or something.  Anyways after hours of troubleshooting uninstalling the VPN client and removing the registry entries did the trick for me...

I used this for reference when removing the registry entries http://www.howtonetworking.com/cisco/ciscovpnclient1.htm

Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Can#t see a comment/fix on the crashing issue with Cisco VPN and Vista... but hope someone knows something...

I have a Dell D630 with an Intel/PRO Wireless 3945ABG chip, running Vista SP1 and numerous updates, the Intel Driver version is 12.1.2.1 and the Cisco Client is 5.0.03.0530. If I am on wireless but not VPN'ed then its fine... however if connected over VPN it will BSOD on a random basis e.g. I can go for 6 days without a crash and then can have 2 in 2 hours.... not great when providing remote system support..

any help/advice welcome.

Cheers
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 10:46 PM
  •  

The following error "Reason 442: failed to enable virtual adapter" appears after Vista reports a duplicate IP address detected. Subsequent connections fail with same message, but Vista doesn't report a duplicate IP address detected

To work around error 442, do the following steps: 

Step 1 Open "Network and Sharing Center".

Step 2 Select "Manage Network Connections".

Step 3 Enable the Virtual Adapter ("VA"—Cisco VPN Adapter).

Step 4 Right-click on Cisco VPN Adapter and select "Diagnose" from the context menu.

Step 5 Select "Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection X". 

If this procedure does not work, run the following command from cmd:

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Then reboot.

This resolves the issue until Vista reports a duplicate IP address again. Follow the preceding steps to resolve it again.

If that doesn't work,you might have UAC enabled. If so, you must run cmd as administrator and repeat the previous registry workaround (CSCsi26106, CSCsl57566).

Monday, February 02, 2009 6:54 AM
  • I just wanted to say that I had the 443 error as well in vista using 5.0.04.300.  I ran the command prompt as an administrator, browsed to program file\cisco vpn\vpngui.exe and ran the cisco gui from the command prompt as an administrator.  It worked on the first try.  I didn't even have to run it as an administrator the second time.  That's all I have tried so far.

Another trick that has worked in the past is disabling the ICS service in the services.msc.  You can also try using windows compatibility mode.

I was wondering if there is any other way to run the program as an adminstrator than from the command prompt.

Thanks,

Alex Pfeil

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I tried running from the command prompt as you suggest - still same message box saying failed to enable virtual adapter.
    Then I did both:  First disabling ICS service (set it to manual) and the from command prompt I ran vpngui.exe - And it works!

Thank you - Now I just need to find a way to avoid doing several things to launch VPN - because I need the ICS sometimes with my mobile phone (I suppose).
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 7:32 AM
  • I have a similar issue to those outlined above.  I have a Lenovo x301 laptop, with Vista Business, using Cisco VPN Client 5.0.00.0340.  After reading through the above, I updated the DNE, which helped, sort-of.  The issue now is that the VPN only seems to work with a WIRED connection.  Using wireless, the client SHOWS connected, but cannot access or ping any network resource.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Bob,

I am having he same problem with my VPN. I am also using Vista Business, Cisco VPN Client 5.0.04.0300. I am able to connect succesfully but not able to ping any servers on the network. Reading your message, looks like you were able to fix the problem, Can you share the details how you were able to do fix the problem?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Gopi.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:00 AM
  • I tried running from the command prompt as you suggest - still same message box saying failed to enable virtual adapter.
    Then I did both:  First disabling ICS service (set it to manual) and the from command prompt I ran vpngui.exe - And it works!

Thank you - Now I just need to find a way to avoid doing several things to launch VPN - because I need the ICS sometimes with my mobile phone (I suppose).

I quote myself, just to say that I successfully installed both the Cisco VPN and Citrix on Windows Seven (clean install) just by setting the compatibility to "Vista".
    Friday, June 12, 2009 7:47 PM
  • I found that my Cisco VPN works on wired connection. But Wireless it connects but not able to ping any network servers.
    Were you able to fix the problem bssplayr?

Thanks.
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:11 PM
  • I also have a Lenovo x301 and had a variety of issues with Cisco VPN Client 5.0.02.0090.  I am running Vista for Business with SP1.

Initially Cisco VPN would appear to connect but to the VPN host but wasn't allowing my Outlook fat client to connect with the Exchange server.  Later, after installing all of the available Lenovo updates, the Cisco VPN client wouldn't load.  It gave me "Error 51:  Unable to connect to the VPN adapter" or something like that.

I uninstalled the VPN client and installed a new DNE subsystem from Citrix ... that changed nothing.

What finally fixed the problem for me was going to the Intel website and downloading their latest drivers for the Intel 5300 WiLan adapter.  Wireless VPN is now working fine but I think I may have sacrificed one or two of the ThinkVantage utilities for discovering and connecting to wireless networks.  Not sure because I haven't tested everything.  In any event, these ThinkVantage utilities don't seem to do anything that Vista can't do.

Oh yeah ... I think I've lost PAN (personal area network) over WiFi too but that's something I can live without to get the VPN working properly.

Hope this helps somebody!
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Thanks - I have a Lenovo x200s - did all the same steps - tried many client versions (now 5.0.05.0290).

Finally - I saw you posting - downloaded the latest Intel driver - and everything works! (yep, I lost some utilities, but it seems they are not important)
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:39 PM
  • This is why Idon't use Cisco Client 5.x with Vista because it just don't works right. :)

--Well an alternative is buying a copy of NCP Secure Client which works like a charm in Vista 32bit and 64bit versions....it's kind of expensive but do it's job.
    --Or install a virtual machine with XP and install the Cisco client there! :)

Good Luck

Ricardo Fuentes A+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:49 PM
  • The NCP Secure Client is indeed great -- it's the only one I've found that works on Vista x64.  That said, it does NOT solve the wireless issue that people here have reported.  I have an X301 with Vista Business x32, and both NCP and Cisco VPN clients don't work over wireless.  I can also connect, but not ping or access any network resources.  Thank goodness I finally found this thread after googling many different ways.  I'm going to try the suggestions now!  :)
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:36 PM
  • I also have a Lenovo x301 and had a variety of issues with Cisco VPN Client 5.0.02.0090.  I am running Vista for Business with SP1.

Initially Cisco VPN would appear to connect but to the VPN host but wasn't allowing my Outlook fat client to connect with the Exchange server.  Later, after installing all of the available Lenovo updates, the Cisco VPN client wouldn't load.  It gave me "Error 51:  Unable to connect to the VPN adapter" or something like that.

I uninstalled the VPN client and installed a new DNE subsystem from Citrix ... that changed nothing.

What finally fixed the problem for me was going to the Intel website and downloading their latest drivers for the Intel 5300 WiLan adapter.  Wireless VPN is now working fine but I think I may have sacrificed one or two of the ThinkVantage utilities for discovering and connecting to wireless networks.  Not sure because I haven't tested everything.  In any event, these ThinkVantage utilities don't seem to do anything that Vista can't do.

Oh yeah ... I think I've lost PAN (personal area network) over WiFi too but that's something I can live without to get the VPN working properly.

Hope this helps somebody!

Grant, THANK YOU.  This problem has been plaguing my X301 ever since I purchased it.  I ran into problems with the new driver, where it killed my wireless, then System Restore couldn't revert the driver update.  So I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the driver, and now it works!  It even seems to support split tunneling, whereas when I was connected via my wired connection, it would never allow me to access external sites.  Awesome!!!
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:43 PM
  • This has been solved.  See the post here: http://blog.edwards-research.com/2009/09/ciscovpn-client-32-bit-vista-error-1720/

Jim
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:10 AM
  • i was following the solution above but i found that i have an ip address already assigned!, i removed it and it worked from the first try.... 

thank you all
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:50 AM
  • I tried everything I found on the first 3 Google pages but without success.. Wasted hours on this.. There are other clients to connect to a Cisco VPN network.. Take a look at what I found: http://blog.hebbink.com/post/2009/12/20/Error-56-The-Cisco-Systems-Inc-VPN-Service-has-not-been-started.aspx
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Hi, Friend

I found a solution to issue error 56.

It is a solution homemade. I created a service in windows manually, in prompt(cmd).

Example:

sc create Cisco_VPN binpath= "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe"

The new service Cisco_VPN , i changed to start automatically. After reboot, I tested the connection vpn normally.

Best Regards,

Jean Tomaz

Friday, March 19, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Since I upgraded my Windows Vista from Home to Business I stoped connecting to my offices VPN with this Laptop.
    I'm using the Cisco VPN client Version 5.0.06.0160, but first I had an older version installed. I was already at our HelpDesk and they don´t know what the problem is and they say that they have never seen anything like this problem before, because I get to introduce my Password and at the Cisco VPN client Window appear the following messages:

- Authenticating User
     - Connceting to the Gateway
     - Negotiating securtity policies (It takes over a minute at this one)
     - Not connected

Even having the Log enabled, it appeares no error and no messages besides this one:

Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 5.0.06.0160
     Copyright (C) 1998-2009 Cisco Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
     Client Type(s): Windows, WinNT
     Running on: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
     Config file directory: C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\

We already tried to uninstall and install the VPN client again. We also deleted all Cisco registry keys before installing again. But no luck.

Can anybody help me please?

King regards,

Sónia

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Hello Sonia, 

I have the same problem. You could fix it?

king regards, 

Joaquín.

Monday, January 17, 2011 3:26 PM
  • I tried all other solution propose on the web...

Thanks this save my face. 

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Thanks T_J_R, your solution for Error 442 solution 2 fixed an error I was getting with several wifi miniports in my device manager that were all showing error code 31. This was preventing me from using the wifi which made meetings a pain. We use a Cisco VPN client at work and I guess it simply needed to be uninstalled and re-installed. Thanks!

Running Win7 64bit on Lenovo R400 in work network

Errors related to: Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport

Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:05 PM