none
Copy a Windows 7 User profile.

Question

• I have seen many discussions on this topic, but none of what I have seen so far relates to my issue. Maybe someone can point me to a discussion or solution I have over looked?

I installed some Windows Updates last night (one of which was a new RAID controller driver) and after the reboot, Windows 7 wouldn't boot. I have attempted several times to repair the install, but nothing gets me to a working systems. I am beyond trying to repair it at the moment and have started reloading the operating system on new hard drives. The problem that I have though is that I have user profiles with a lot of information I don't want to lose.

• Picasa Web Albums
    • iTunes Music libraries
    • Outlook email configurations
    • Google Earth favorites going back a few years
    • And a whole lot more...

All I want to do is copy the user profile over, but that doesn't seem work. I know how to do most of these items individually, but it seems like that is going to take a lot more time and some of the configuration will just be lost. I know the saved passwords will be lost, but isn't there a method or tool to copy an old profile on the old disk to a new profile? 

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:20 AM

Answers

• Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? If you can, please download WAIK. We can use USMT 4.0 and save your profile with the command scanstate.exe to save your profile. Then after reinstalling, run loadstate.exe to load the profile.

The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7

User State Migration Tool 4.0 User's Guide 

If you cannot boot into Safe Mode, you may just reinstall the system without reformatting the system partition. The contents of the previous system will be saved in Windows.old folder. USMT can pick up your profile from the Windows.old folder. YOU just need to run load state to load your profile from Windows.old after reinstalling.

Otherwise, you can try to boot in Last Known Good configuration. If it successes, you can run Easy Transfer to save your profile. Then run In-place Upgrade to repair the system. In this case you do not need to reinstall the system.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum 
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 27, 2010 3:28 AM
  • You can try to boot into WinPE and run USMT.

Offline Migration 

In WinPE USMT can pick up user profile from an offline system.

Walkthrough: Boot Windows PE from Hard Disk 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, August 30, 2010 4:40 AM

All replies

• I am not sure if this will meet your needs as I never tested it with the scenario you mention, but have you considered using the Uer Profile Migration Tool?
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I have, but I don't see a way to do it... I think you are talking about the Easy Transfer Utility... Probably works great between two working computers, but not so great when you need to collect settings from a hard drive that has a dead OS... Seems to me that should be an option Microsoft offers with that tool. I don't see how it is that much harder to copy a profile from a directory path...
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:30 PM
  • I am not sure if this is a viable option, but you could try using a windows RE & preahps remove the RAID controller update, if you've made one that is. As far as reimaging the OS on other HDD's, why can't you just reinstall the OS on a partitioned section of the RAID & move the profile over directly to the newly installed OS?
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I don't know of an easy way to roll back a storage driver update on a system that won’t boot. I have done it in the past by mounting the drive on another system and replacing the offending .SYS file. This usually involves also mounting the old registry file and making sure you have the right registry settings for the old driver. I have done that pretty easily with clustered systems where only one node has been updated, but I find that a little difficult with a single system when I don't have a good copy of the old registry file.

I had really hoped that Windows 7 repair feature would have rewrote the old disk driver back on to the system, but it didn't appear to do that. I probably could have gotten that to work, but I figure a clean load is better than one I duct taped back together...

Yes, I know I should have a good backup... Hence why I just want out and got a new pair of hard drives. That will give me a mirrored hard drive for the OS and a place to backup to (I had out grown the old backup drive)...

Your right that I can reinstall the OS on the same drive, but that is pretty messy. C: drive is usually full of old applications and experiments that would need to be cleaned up... This way I get a clean build.

I believe I tried to just install a new OS on the same drive during a previous failed experiment and found that though the users folder remains in the same place, creating an account with the same name did not result in the new account picking up the old profile. I still had to migrate the data. In that case I end up slowly and carefully deleting parts of program files, ProgramData, eventually the old Windows directory, and a number of other items...

I am really just looking for any easy way to move profiles. Normally the PC is functional when I migrate, but every now and then something I have done doesn’t sit well with what Microsoft is trying to do, and I end up reloading the hardware. I was just hoping to find an easier way…

I am pretty much almost done at this point, so this isn’t a big issue for me… If nothing else, maybe someone at Microsoft will see this and think about adding a method to allow profiles to be picked up from file locations in a future migration tool release…

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? If you can, please download WAIK. We can use USMT 4.0 and save your profile with the command scanstate.exe to save your profile. Then after reinstalling, run loadstate.exe to load the profile.

The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7

User State Migration Tool 4.0 User's Guide 

If you cannot boot into Safe Mode, you may just reinstall the system without reformatting the system partition. The contents of the previous system will be saved in Windows.old folder. USMT can pick up your profile from the Windows.old folder. YOU just need to run load state to load your profile from Windows.old after reinstalling.

Otherwise, you can try to boot in Last Known Good configuration. If it successes, you can run Easy Transfer to save your profile. Then run In-place Upgrade to repair the system. In this case you do not need to reinstall the system.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum 
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 27, 2010 3:28 AM
  • I did try Safe Mode and Last Known good early on... Neither worked though... What I didn't think of was mounting the hard drive to my laptop through a USB and overwriting the SYS file. I should have been able to switch back to last known good at that point to get the older ControlSet...

I was able to verify that the following patch is the most likely cause, and that other people had the same problem:

2010-08-25 03:08:47:968 5204 173c Handler Device id = PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_82d41043
    2010-08-25 03:08:47:968 5204 173c Handler DriverPingback=1|1|PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_82D41043&REV_00|2009-04-08|8.6.2.1012|0xff0003|0x180010a|0|Intel|Intel|Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller|pci\ven_8086&dev_2822&cc_0104
    2010-08-25 03:08:47:968 5204 173c Handler Driver install of {918F6821-6220-48EC-8134-7EE3D17AD9FA} on PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_82d41043 succeeded

So I guess my only question at this point might be: Can the USMT be used to reach into the other hard drive and pull out the profile information for restore to a new system? That won’t help me now since I am 90 percent done already, but it might help me the next time I tinker with the wrong thing or get a bad patch...

Friday, August 27, 2010 1:29 PM
  • You can try to boot into WinPE and run USMT.

Offline Migration 

In WinPE USMT can pick up user profile from an offline system.

Walkthrough: Boot Windows PE from Hard Disk 

Monday, August 30, 2010 4:40 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to check how things going. Is there any more information needed?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:43 AM
  • The next time I run into a machine that won’t boot, I have some new things to try. It only took me a couple of hours to move what I needed to move on my home systems. I asked the question because having a fast way to move a profile between systems was often helpful in Windows XP. The loss of the ability to do that is disappointing.

The next time I have a profile to move from a dead system, I will try the USMT again. The last time I used that tool it was all command line and not very easy to work with. I don't mind command line, but the solution took much longer than the alternatives. Hopefully it has improved since I last used it... I think I am just trying to heighten awareness of something I perceive as a need.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

I understand he inconvenience in this case. If a system dies and user wants to install system on another partition, he cannot migrate the user profile from the old system to the new system easier. However in Windows 7 we can still realize it with USMT command lines.

Also in I may recommend Windows Image Backup in future. After you back up the system image for the current system. You can easily restore the whole system partition if it completely does not work.

Friday, September 03, 2010 7:04 AM