none
.mig file fails to transfer

Question

•  

Hi,

I have a savedate.mig file that fails to transfer and all of my data is in that file.  I created the file at 12:30pm from my Windows Vista laptop by saving it to an external hard drive.   I then baselined the machine and reinstalled Windows Vista and MS Office.  Then double clicked the .mig file to start the transfer and I get "The transfer failed" Windows Easy Transfer will now be canceled."

How can I get my data out of this file, or repair the file? - I have screen shots of the step by step usage of WET to open the file but can't paste them here.

PLEASE HELP - my life is in this file.

Thank You,

Ezun

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:03 PM

Answers

• My problem was solved by the original developer WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And as I thought it IS NOT A CORRUPT .MIG FILE

I'll spare you all the pain of dealing with overseas support.  Here's the solution I was finally given by the original developer (it appears WET fails to create a working directory):

After starting the wizard, when you are at the dialog where you choose the MIG file to restore from, you need to manually create this folder:

"%userprofile%\AppData\Local\MigWiz\WorkDir\srcworking".

If the same user will run the migration wizard the path was

C:\Users\MY USERNAME HERE\AppData\Local\MigWiz\WorkDir\srcworking.

The path %userprofile%\AppData\Local\MigWiz\WorkDir should already exist.

I hope this helps others out there who have this problem.

Friday, February 29, 2008 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Ezun,

Please verify the following points:

1.    Is there enough free disk space on your new computer?

2.    Are the old and new systems the same version? For example, we cannot transfer from Windows Vista 64bit to Windows Vista 32bit.

3.    Are the old and new systems in the same language?

4.    Before transferring, please disable anti-virus programs and firewalls.

5.    Please copy the .mig file from the external drive to the local hard drive and start the transferring.

For more information about Windows Easy Transfer, please refer to the following article:

How to use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate files and settings from one Windows-based computer to another Windows Vista-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2008 7:07 AM
  • Tim,

Here are the answers to your questions

1. Yes, I have enough space available - I have 39GB available (and the savedata.MIG file is already on C: drive (18GB) so I know I have enough space).

2. Yes, they are the same version.  This is the same computer that I pulled the data from and I re-installed Windows Vista from the same disk that it was originally installed from.

3. Yes, see the answer to the above question.

4. I've tried that.  I have AVG Antivirus and nothing else (other than what comes standard with Windows Vista).  The only thing I can turn off in Vista is the firewall, and I shut down AVG when I start the transfer.

5.  I've tried this as well (multiple times) and just tried it again now (8:57am CST).  I get the exact same error.

I've read this article as well.  Unfortunately it provides no help when there is an error.

Is there a way to get into/expand/extract this file and pull out my data?  I'm ok with losing my settings, I just want my data back.

Also, I've seen this same problem on multiple tech forums throughout the internet yet I have not seen an answer.  Providing an answer here will allow many people to benefit.

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:32 PM
  •  

Hi Ezun,

Thank you for the reply. 

First please make sure there is enough free disk space on your system. The .mig file can be small. However, when restoring the data, files will be uncompressed and the size can grow larger. If it exceeds the size of the free space area on your computer, the transfer will fail.

In addition, I suggest performing a Clean Boot before transferring the .mig file to reduce third-party programs conflicts.

Clean Boot
    =======
    1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Can we restore the .mig file now?

If the issue persists, please send us the following files for further research:

Screenshot
    --------------
    When the error message appears during the transfer, please do the following steps to capture a screenshot:

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.
    2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.
    3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".
    4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".
    5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

Windows Easy Transfer Report
    -------------------------------------
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\MigWiz\migrep.html

I have created a FTP site, and you can upload the above files to us from the following site:
    https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=5bd355ca-5637-4012-a184-149e2fdc44f1

Password: O$xDVWU1u-

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
    Tim Quan

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:00 AM
  • Tim,

Please answer this question: is there a tool I can use (other than WET) to get my data out of this file?

I have followed your directions exactly:

Clean Boot
    =======

COMPLETE

Can we restore the .mig file now?
    =======
    NO

Screenshot
    --------------
    Uploaded screenshot as error.jpg

Uploaded document error.doc showing screenshots of each step I take.

Windows Easy Transfer Report
    -------------------------------------
    uploaded C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\MigWiz\migrep

Cheers,

Ezun

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Tim,

I also added some uploaded some troubleshooting files that may help.  I titled them "vista support.zip"

Cheers,

Ezun

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:48 AM
  •  

Hi Ezun,

Thank you for the sending me the files. I fully understand that the current situation can be frustrating.

The issue is likely caused by anti-virus programs. Currently, I suggest temporarily removing all anti-virus programs on your computer.

If the issue still occurs, the .mig file can be damaged. You can try to restore it to another computer to test the issue.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:35 AM
  • Tim,

Please answer this question: is there a tool I can use (other than WET) to get my data out of this file?

Also, I have removed antivirus software and that did not help.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare computer around to try to restore this to, but I did try to restore it to friend's XP computer and that failed because of compatibility issues.

Ezun

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  

Hi Ezun,

Thank you for the time and effort.

However, as I know, we do not have a tool to open the .mig file to retrieve the data now. In addition, it does not support to migrate data from Windows Vista to Windows XP.

Currently, I suggest trying to restore the .mig file in a new account.

1. Click Start Menu, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.

3. Double-click User Accounts.

4. Click Manage Use Accounts.

5. Click Create a new account, and type the name.

6. Choose account type as Administrator.

7. Click Create Account.

8. Log off and log on with the new account.

Can we restore the data?

If the issue persists, I am afraid that the .mig is corrupted.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Friday, February 22, 2008 5:47 AM
  • Tim,

The new account had the same problems. 

I don't think the file is corrupt, I think it's an application issue.  As you could see from my uploads the migration fails before the transfer even starts.  It's something to do with the application hanging. 

Who else can we get involved to research this issue?

Cheers,

Ezun

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:56 PM
  • My problem was solved by the original developer WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'll spare you all the pain of dealing with overseas support.  Here's the solution I was finally given by the original developer (it appears WET fails to create a working directory):

After starting the wizard, when you are at the dialog where you choose the MIG file to restore from, you need to manually create this folder:

Friday, February 29, 2008 6:16 PM
  •  

Hi Ezun,

Thank you for letting us know how you resolved this issue.

I believe this solution will be helpful for other customers who encounter the same issue in the future.

Thanks again for your time and effort.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:37 AM
  • I tried this to no avail...  is their something in your solution that I'm not doing?  can you post a more detailed description?

thx
    Friday, March 14, 2008 3:24 AM
  • Gorecki,

Unfortunately this is the only detail I have, it is the exact instructions that were sent to me from Microsoft. 

One thing that I didn't list here is that they took a log file from the MigWiz directory (I searched but can't find the name of it) that shows what is going on by the second.  That log file is what they used to find out why this whole thing failed. 

Is that the instructions I gave are not clear?  Should I try to clarify them more? 

Cheers,

Ezun

Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:03 AM
  • Ezun,

Am I supposed to copy the .mig file to the srcworking folder?  If I do that, there won't be enough room on my hard drive to extract the data.  My hard drive is 91 GB, and my .mig file is 57 GB.  But I keep getting the following error message:

The migration failed: There is not enough space on the disk.

This happens whether I try restoring from my external hard drive, or if I copy the .mig file to the srcworking folder.

Thanks.

Ezun wrote:

My problem was solved by the original developer WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 8:23 PM
  •  

Rick,

Sorry for the late response.  No, you do NOT want to copy to the srcworking folder.  That folder is a "working" directory for the actual migration program and it's being used as a temp folder.  It simply needs to be created.

Cheers,

Ezun

Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:05 PM
  •  

Rick,

Also, while talking to the Microsoft Technicians it seems that the 57 GB will expand significantly.  So, if you created a 57GB file from a former system that was bigger than 91GB, you won't have enough room and you'll need a bigger hard drive.

I hope this information helps.

Cheers,

Ezun

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:47 PM
  • Hi Ezun,

I recently transferred my files from an XP to Vista OS computer. They transferred just fine. I used Windows easy transfer. Then I transferred all the files on a DVD like I was transferring them to a new computer through DVD. I used the same Windows easy transfer as well. It transferred just fine. Now, after I reinstalled my XP computer, I am trying to get the files from the DVD's back on my old computer and this is what I get: the file name on the recorded DVD is IMG00001.MIG

My XP cannot open it asking me to look for the right program either online or from the list, you know...

Can you suggest anything, but in details?

Thank you in advance,

Andrei

Sunday, May 04, 2008 3:24 AM
  •  

Andrei,

If I undersatnd correctly you started with an XP machine and a Vista machine.  You copied, via Windows Easy Transfer (WET), everything from the XP Machine to the Vista Machine by running WET on the XP Machine.  You then baselined/reinstalled your XP Machine and tried the exact same process but started by using WET on the Vista Machine.

I'm quite sure (98%) that VISTA to XP Windows Easy Transfer is not possible due to backwards compatibility not being available.

Do you still have your old MIG file that you created from your XP Machine and moved to your Vista Machine?  That file should work.

Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:14 PM
  •  

Dear Ezun,

You are absolutely right about how it happened. And yes, I still have all the files I transferred from my XP on my Vista OS. Can you plz suggest on the best way to transfer them back to my XP?

Thanks

Monday, May 05, 2008 8:01 PM
  •  

Andrei,

I don't know of a way to transfer them back to XP other than to use your old XP file.  At this point I would call Microsoft.

Cheers,

Ezun

Saturday, May 10, 2008 9:06 PM
  • I had the MIG file damaged or corrupt and was able to successfully salvage almost all of the data using MigRecover. http://www.visser.com.au/blog/migrecover-for-microsofts-windows-easy-transfer/
    Friday, August 03, 2012 12:50 AM