none
My Windows 8 Apps are crashing in Metro

Question

• I purchased my laptop last month, it came pre-installed with Windows 8 as the OS. This is not an upgrade or anything like that. I started to notice that in the past 3 weeks, apps I opened on the Metro screen would immediately crash after opening. They would open and within seconds it would go back to the loading page or the metro screen. In the left corner I could see the program loading and would click it and sometimes the program would hang there for minutes loading. I would close them and try to reopen them but they would continue to load for minutes. I do not have a anti-virus program, McAfee just recently expired (came pre-installed with the laptop) and has been uninstalled, just the basic Window firewall and no live-time virus programs running. It doesn't matter what the program is, whether it is the email, browser or a game it will crash. I have updated my Windows OS to the KB2822241 System update. Even after the McAfee uninstall, the Metro Apps still crash. I update the App regularly from the store, so I know they are not outdated. I'm a little pissed that this is suppose to be the center of Windows 8 and it doesn't work for me. It is frustrating!

FYI: Desktop works fine, I have no problems with it but there are programs on Metro that I need to use without them crashing. I don't know how to fix this.

• Edited by CDM11 Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:22 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:20 PM

Answers

• I purchased my laptop last month, it came pre-installed with Windows 8 as the OS. This is not an upgrade or anything like that. I started to notice that in the past 3 weeks, apps I opened on the Metro screen would immediately crash after opening. They would open and within seconds it would go back to the loading page or the metro screen. In the left corner I could see the program loading and would click it and sometimes the program would hang there for minutes loading. I would close them and try to reopen them but they would continue to load for minutes. I do not have a anti-virus program, McAfee just recently expired (came pre-installed with the laptop) and has been uninstalled, just the basic Window firewall and no live-time virus programs running. It doesn't matter what the program is, whether it is the email, browser or a game it will crash. I have updated my Windows OS to the KB2822241 System update. Even after the McAfee uninstall, the Metro Apps still crash. I update the App regularly from the store, so I know they are not outdated. I'm a little pissed that this is suppose to be the center of Windows 8 and it doesn't work for me. It is frustrating!

FYI: Desktop works fine, I have no problems with it but there are programs on Metro that I need to use without them crashing. I don't know how to fix this.

Try the MS apps troubleshooter:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423

Let us know if it helped.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:37 PM
  • The problems detected were 'hardware changes might not have been detected', 'missing or corrupted files' and 'display adapters might be out-of-date'.  None of the items were 'fixed', I have restarted my computer 3 times after running the MS app troubleshoot 3 times. The problems detected has always been the same 3 after the multiple runs.  I tried to update the display adapters via the device manager, I was told that they were up-to-date according to Windows.  I'll search for a solution to these issues, not sure where they arose from but if they are the cause for the crashing I need to fix them. Thank you for the help but not sure the troubleshooter helped but I will give it a few days to see if the Metro apps stop crashing.
    • Edited by CDM11 Friday, April 19, 2013 7:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by CDM11 Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:24 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Thanks, after searching for the issues the troubleshooter stated were wrong. I fixed the one, the missing or corrupted files and I have only experienced 1 crash of a Metro App. The adapters were not outdated, went to AMD website and even downloaded their updater program. And hardware changes, not sure, could be my charging a cellphone on the computer using the adapter, it always want to to install the driver. Not needed because I just want to charge and not transfer music or pictures to the device. Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by CDM11 Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:23 PM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:23 PM

All replies

Try the MS apps troubleshooter:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423

Let us know if it helped.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:37 PM
  • The problems detected were 'hardware changes might not have been detected', 'missing or corrupted files' and 'display adapters might be out-of-date'.  None of the items were 'fixed', I have restarted my computer 3 times after running the MS app troubleshoot 3 times. The problems detected has always been the same 3 after the multiple runs.  I tried to update the display adapters via the device manager, I was told that they were up-to-date according to Windows.  I'll search for a solution to these issues, not sure where they arose from but if they are the cause for the crashing I need to fix them. Thank you for the help but not sure the troubleshooter helped but I will give it a few days to see if the Metro apps stop crashing.
    • Edited by CDM11 Friday, April 19, 2013 7:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by CDM11 Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:24 PM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 7:52 PM
  • Thanks, after searching for the issues the troubleshooter stated were wrong. I fixed the one, the missing or corrupted files and I have only experienced 1 crash of a Metro App. The adapters were not outdated, went to AMD website and even downloaded their updater program. And hardware changes, not sure, could be my charging a cellphone on the computer using the adapter, it always want to to install the driver. Not needed because I just want to charge and not transfer music or pictures to the device. Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by CDM11 Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:23 PM
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:23 PM