none
"You must activate windows today" "This copy of windows is not genuine"

General discussion

• Just installed the beta from our Technet subscription. We have installed windows 7 using this key on a few other PCs (Virtual PC 2007 etc) without issue.

I install Windows 7 on a PC just now, and after the second reboot I get the messages about activating and it not being a genuine copy. I enter our Technet key using the activation tool and get "this key cannot be used to activate..."

Is this key provided by Technet a MAK type key with a limited number of activations?

MCTS 70-620 Certified
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:46 AM

All replies

• Strange - I ran the MS Genuine Advantage diagnostic tool and it says the validation is genuine. Validation code 6.

???
    MCTS 70-620 Certified
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:48 AM
  • How many computers have you used the Key on? it is possible that you have use the key to activate to many machines. Try going to the technet download page and receive another key and replace your current key with the new one and try activating it again.

good luck
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I too am having an issue with activating.  Although I have installed the activation key on only this one computer.  It did the same thing, it activated after I first installed and activated it then after first restart it when back to saying this is not a genuine copy, etc.  I went and obtained a new key and it still continues to say the same thing and will not acitivate.  Although when I go to the windows update site it states that there are no new updates and it is currently up to date.  Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  Is it possibly the activation servers being overwhelmed?
    DarPatten
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:57 PM