none
No Sound after Windows 7 updates

Question

• Let me make this as pithy as possible so I can save some time hopefully for anyone able to assist.  :)

Computer model and mother board spec:

Windows Vista machine updated to Windows 7 home premium

Computer:

Acer aspire

ase380-ud480a

Motherboard:

ht2000 mcp61pm-am

I am working on a very odd Windows issue.

1. Computer was having a reboot problem when I realized some of the updates were not properly installed at this point the sound worked fine!

2. After resolving the updates issue the sound no longer worked!

3. I've troubleshot multiple versions of drivers for the realtek driver from vista thru  windows 7 compatible drivers... no resolution. The sound card seems to be working fine according to windows, the fact is there is simply no sound coming out of anything. headphones or speakers. When I go to control panel and go into sound options I can see the soundcard checked as default however if I go into configure and choose any of the audio channels and choose test I receive a Failed to play test tone error.

4. I even went as far as to disable the soundcard on the motherboard and purchase a replacement card that is compatible with windows 7, yet I receive the exact same issue even with headphones plugged in I receive no sound!!!! Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!

P.S

I have started the machine up using MS config and, just to be safe, disabled virtually everything that could have been causing the issue from the startup tab and then disabled the non microsoft services as well... I allowed the new sound card to install what it needed....nothing else (not even antivirus is running) Yet still no sound!

-Also I noticed Itunes will not play anything in fact it will not even start songs

Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:33 AM

Answers

• Acer indicates that this model is not compatible with Windows 7.

Service & Support - Aspire E380 < Aspire < Desktop 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Therefore I suspect that the audio device is not compatible with Windows 7 so it does not work after Windows Update installed driver updates.

You can try to resolve the issue by reinstalling the audio adapter driver.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 06, 2010 7:11 AM

All replies

• I have noticed that my laptop speakers were set to muted after Windows Updates on several occasions. Problem solved by simply unmuting the speakers. Have you looked into that?

Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Acer indicates that this model is not compatible with Windows 7.

Service & Support - Aspire E380 < Aspire < Desktop 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Therefore I suspect that the audio device is not compatible with Windows 7 so it does not work after Windows Update installed driver updates.

You can try to resolve the issue by reinstalling the audio adapter driver.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, December 06, 2010 7:11 AM