none
Sysmain (Superfetch) -- makes my computer unresponsive

Question

• Hello,

I have installed the latest iteration of Windows 7. The product is fantastic, and I've only come across one glitch which is a huge deal for me and is causing me to lose patience with the OS:

There are times svchost.exe takes up >80% of my CPU resources and hogs up like >90mb of RAM. The RAM usage shouldn't be a big deal as my computer has 4gbs of it, yet the system performance goes waaaay down. My computer is practically unresponsive. I've isolated the problem to Sysmain, also known as Superfetch. As soon as I stop that specific service, the svchost host process goes back to normal system usage levels. What annoys me is that it does cause my computer to load faster initially, and it is for this reason which I leave it on -- but after a few hours of usage, it turns around and causes unresponsiveness. 

Any advice (other than stopping sysmain from loading at startup) would be much appreciated. Thanks. My system specs are: 

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Silly.Putty,

FWIW, similar discussion unraveling here...
    System response extremely slow when left running overnight
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Hello

you have what I feel is SAME errors that Most HP pavillion dv6985se  I reside in Sydney Australia & at time win 7 was released I was all excited about buying a new Laptop with w7.I purchased same as you,however when this laptop is checked with Hewlett^& packard website my dv6 comes up as a CQ61-212TU x86 Notebook.We have same insides mine has dual core Intel t4200 i- Core Anyway getting back to this error.

I was totally Angry that my system was a 32bit only system.Under warranty I was subjected to a 6 month period where as I had to supply new BIOS X64 bit,then I had to burn a disc with all HP X64 bit drivers,Lightscribe etc same as you,then after that I then had to complain to Microsoft that HP are selling all win7 systems here in australia all x32bit garbage using a home premium 32bit ONLY copy which Microsoft Hit the roof.QUOTE MICROSOFT TEAM MANAGER STEVEN BALLMER sent me a Gold Edition win 7 RTM Ultimate with both 32bit and x64 bit installation DVD's,I did a format and clean Install worked absolutely perfect until I also Noticed that  svchost.exe takes up 90% of my CPU resources and hogs up like  500mb of RAM.I have 4gb plus 32GB using ReadyBoost very fast until I installed Norton 360 ver 4 with 4 year licence then SVCHOST.EXE has now 30 running instances WHY? stuffed my system USB errors,Slow after startup then fast as rocket for as long as I dont use IE 8 as soon as I open IE this SVCHOST.EXE takes control I am at a loss because I have to format and clean install again to find the answer because Microsoft are totally lost here with an answer or patch to control it. 

SVCHOST.EXE is the problem to Sysmain, also known as Superfetch. As soon as I stop that specific service, the svchost host process goes back to normal system usage levels until I re boot then it goes back to way it was I also see IVP6 IE Issues which Using a wireless Hawuei USB E122 Modem its happened also with 2 NON MICROSOFT CERTIFICATES BEING FOUND WEIRD STUFF all Norton AV Malwarebytes & defender come up clean.

any new info I will post for you.if you have a fix I would appreciate some input.

thankx

jeffreyobrien

Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Sysmain(Superfetch+Readyboost) 

It's a utility that basically moves files faster. But if it's pwning your system that much - Best to disable it. Just go

Task Manager > Services > Right click on SysMain and press Stop Service.

• Proposed as answer by RobXD Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:04 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:03 PM