none
Unable to download any software, with a message 'file name' contains a virus and was deleted. Need instruction to remove the real virus that is blocking downloads.

Question

• I saw the rogue 'Internet Security' file popped up a week ago, with fake scanning and list of infected files. I managed to remove the foobar application file - with instructions from various anti-virus online forums.

The fake 'Internet Security' panel disappeared from the desktop after removal of the 'foobar' application file.

I downloaded Norton Power Eraser to an USB drive from a different PC and installed it on my laptop in 'safe mode with internet connection' and scanned, removed the files identified as 'bad'.

I still cannot download any files, including the MSE security files. The message 'file contains virus and was removed' shows up every time.

What are the anti-virus files that I should use to completely get rid of all the nuisance fake files?

What are all the steps to take to prevent future recurrence?

Please give detailed instructions. Thank you.

Friday, May 31, 2013 5:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For this issue, I suggest you contact the anti-virus software vendor, because this could be related to the software configuration:

http://community.norton.com/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 03, 2013 1:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For this issue, I suggest you contact the anti-virus software vendor, because this could be related to the software configuration:

http://community.norton.com/

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 03, 2013 1:38 AM
  • Hi, Alex,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Question: Norton Power Eraser removed some 'bad' files, I still cannot download any file - same problem persisted.

Norton Internet Security Scan result:  No risk detected. I still cannot download any file - same problem persisted.

I downloaded Window Security Essential, scanned my laptop. The result: No risk detected. I still cannot download any file - same problem persisted.

I have contacted security SW vendors. Each suggested that I removed all other SWs and install theirs. I did. I still cannot download any file - same problem persisted.

Is there an 'one-stop expertise' to get the answer to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Friday, June 07, 2013 5:20 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. I cannot download any windows updates, because file is found with virus. I have turned off Eset smart security 6 with the same issue. Every time this happens a box comes up saying to learn more and then directs me to Microsoft. I have run security essential with no luck. 
    Friday, July 26, 2013 3:05 PM
  • The problem is a Roque Trojan virus called Sirefef, which is located in your registry files. Since IE wont let you download anything...open a new browser using Google chrome or Firefox and download "Hitman Pro".  You don't have to purchase, just run scan, and delete all infected files. This is a sure winner...! I have have used it several times.  Reno the Raider.
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 8:41 PM