none
0xc00000e9

Question

• I have an HP computer (specific modle in link below, have'nt changed any hardware)
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3632154&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

It came with vista home premium 32 bit, I put XP pro on it almost immediately.
    (the processor is a core 2 quad, so it does support 64 bit)
    I now wish to install Vista x64 and am getting the 0xc00000e9 error.

I burned a .iso of vista to a DVD using Nero, at uni, so I know the file is fine, and i burned it at the slowest speed, 3 times on 3 different DVDs, (none of which work) so I am assuming the burn isn't the problem, which has been suggested on many forum's i've read. The DVD drive is in full working order, and have used it to verify this just now.

I've tried booting it on a virtual PC (Microsoft virtual PC 2007) and the same error appears, below is a link to a screen shot of the error, which is identical to the one i receive when trying to boot from the DVD.
    http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=errorloadingvista2ig1.png

any help or suggestions greatly appreciated

P.s. before anyone flames me for the legality, I am at university and a member of the MSDNAA and have a legal license key

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From the symptom, this behavior is hardware related. I suggest that you boot in the existed Windows XP system, and copy the .iso file from the Windows Vista installation DVD onto hard drive, then extract the contents to a folder. Then, boot in Windows Recovery Environment (Win RE), choose "Command Prompt" and open the Windows 64bit system installation file and start the installation. Please unload all external equipments before installing.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00899280&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=3340210

If the issue persists, in (Win RE), run memory diagnostic, and run check disk command "chkdsk /r" in Command Prompt.

If the issue is not resolved, the problem is related to the hardware of the computer. In this case, we can do nothing on the operating system side. Please contact HP support and check hardware problems. Also confirm if you need to adjust some settings for Windows Vista 64bit systems.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3632154

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From the symptom, this behavior is hardware related. I suggest that you boot in the existed Windows XP system, and copy the .iso file from the Windows Vista installation DVD onto hard drive, then extract the contents to a folder. Then, boot in Windows Recovery Environment (Win RE), choose "Command Prompt" and open the Windows 64bit system installation file and start the installation. Please unload all external equipments before installing.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00899280&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product=3340210

If the issue persists, in (Win RE), run memory diagnostic, and run check disk command "chkdsk /r" in Command Prompt.

If the issue is not resolved, the problem is related to the hardware of the computer. In this case, we can do nothing on the operating system side. Please contact HP support and check hardware problems. Also confirm if you need to adjust some settings for Windows Vista 64bit systems.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3632154

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope it helps.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 6:56 AM
  • The fault Dear Brutus lies with Vista.  I have found the problem and a work around solution.  My system by the way is running on a Vista Upgrade from XP Pro 64 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

The problem comes from the bootstrap.  Vista has the unfortunate habit of losing or corrupting the the Boot Management Files after some software loads/installs.  I had major problems with ATI Catalyst loader.  It would get half way through the install and system would reboot! Then the 0x blah error page would surface - What the hey?.  I was not pleased.

I also found that when I had the solution, my display settings had gone astray.  So here is the work around which take care of everything and gives you back a nice stable, re-booting Vista OS.

STEP 1:  You have to do the Recovery Dance.  This may take more that one attempt, but put your Vista DVD in the drive and attempt to boot off the DVD ie hit the F12 key on the first page of the boot screen and choose to boot from the DVD/CD option.  It may not work the first time.  You may have to power down and try again - and again - but be patient it will happen eventually. 

When the green screen pops up, choose your preferred language option hit the next key.  (I have always been tempted to try Bantu but so far have managed to resist the urge.)

Next system should show the strip indicating Vista files are being loaded.  This may get most of the way through and fail.  Back you go to the beginning and start again.  Frustrating sometimes, but there you go.

You will eventually get to the screen where the main drivers are loaded.    The drivers may show staight away, which is the healthiest option.  They may take a while to load, in which case wait a bit - give the PC time to exhaust its options.  The third possibility is that the drivers do not load -  DANG! - which means you re-boot and try again.

Assuming the drivers load, choose the option to repair your Vista install.  This will keep all your files intact.  

STEP 2: Check your display settings.  If they are OK and the correct dispaly drivers are loaded and working then you have just taken care of Step 2.

STEP 3:  Involves getting the the bootstrap nice and stable.

Go to:  http://www.vistabootpro.org/   Download and install Vista Boot Pro - it is free!

i     Choose the MANAGE BCD OS ENTRIES option from the Main Menu.

ii    Select the OS - in my case Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (Recovered)

iii    Select the OS Boot Option - change Boot Drive button and select the boot drive

iv    Choose the Apply Update option

vi    Choose the SYSTEM BOOTLOADER MAINTENANCE option from the Main Menu.

vii   Choose the System Bootloader - in my case Vista

viii  Choose the drive to boot from

ix   DO NOT CHOOSE the Force Loader Install option - to do so will risk losing all data!

Hit the Install Boot Loader button at the bottom of the page.

Reboot the system and all should be well!

If this doesn't work, it may be that you do have a hardware conflict or corrupt files - particularly the Boot Manager.  In which case this will not help. 

Still it is worth a shot.  Try it and see how you go.

Happy PC progress to all! And to all a good night.  (Well it's getting to be that time of year isn't it?)

Ho ho bloody ho.

Ej

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:05 AM