none
network adapter problems after updating to Windows 8.1

Question

• When do you think to solve this problem? This is really annoying for millions of users. I have tried all the "solutions" I have found on the dozens of forums treating this problem. I guess MS has a clue now what is wrong????
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 6:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you explain in detail your issue ? Did you update your network card drivers ?

/ Yannick Plavonil blog: Deploiement Windows | facebook: www.facebook.com/deploiementwindows | twitter: @yplavonil

Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller _version 8.20.815.2013. Impossible to keep the internet connections for more than 10 minutes without disconnecting.  All the other computers on my network do not have this problem(the lucky ones that are on Windows 7). It occured immediately after updating to Windows 8.1. Is it possible to go back to version 8.0 once 8.1 installed?  
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Hi,

Generally speaking, this is caused by NIC driver problem. Have you tried to reinstall the NIC driver to be latest for test? I made a search at Realtek offical site, the link below is about driver download, may be it is helpful to your problem.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#1

If problem persists, please check Event Viewer, it may identify the error message. 

In addition, about revert to Wndows 8.1 from Windows 8 problem, if you want do this, you need to make a clean install.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Yes I installed an older version of the NIC driver as was suggested on some forums and than downloaded and installed the latest driver from the RealTek site, but the problem remained. I doubt a little bit that it is a problem of NIC driver as there are so many different network cards that have shown the same problem. I guess it is more a problem of Network protocol configuration/DNS handling or something?
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Hi,

How about your network problem recently? if problem persists, you can follow the steps below to collect the scenario tracing and the WLAN logs.

1) Enable RAS Tracing on the client.

Over an Administrative command prompt.
    C:\> netsh ras set tracing * enabled

2) On the client enable the following log as well:

C:\> netsh trace start scenario=netconnection capture=yes tracefile=c:\net.etl

3) Now, turn off Wireless adapter on the client and Turn it back ON for making it to authenticate. Once it fails to connect to the Wireless network, proceed to the next step.

4) Disable RAS Tracing on the client.

C:\> netsh ras set tracing * disabled

5) On the client disable the following log as well:

C:\> netsh trace stop

6) Please provide the following files:

From the Client:
    a) ZIP folder of C:\Windows\Tracing
    b) C:\Net.etl and C:\Net.cab

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support