none
Adobe Acrobat 8 Compatibility

Question

• I have not been able to get Acrobat 8 to load properly in win 7 or in xp compatibility mode. Any solution othe than an upgrade to Acrobat 9?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 1:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• I also am having the same problem and also hoping I don't need to upgrade to fix this issue.  I tried Acrobat 8 Professional and I am running Windows 7 Professional.
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 8:53 PM
  • Hi Jeff

I agree with hfchavarria that Acrobat 8 Professional might work with Windows7, but the Setup may or may not fails to create PDF Printer. Go through the following the link to know more details http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/d469aebc-e008-4aa4-9bb4-f15535727a5b .

FYI Acrobat 9 is compatible with Windows 7, lower versions have not got Windows 7 Compatible Certification. You can confirm it by checking in this link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Software&s=Acrobat .

Thanks and Regards
    Ananda.D

Friday, November 06, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Thanks,
    I finally did get it to load, but, as you said, no PDF Printer. I can live with that.
    Regards,
    Jeff
    Friday, November 20, 2009 12:50 PM
  • what are using adobe for?  if it's just to print to pdf format, try primo pdf.  it's free and i have it installed on my ultimate 7 x32 system and it works great.  i use adobe reader 9 to open the file.
    i'll still have try it at home on my win 7 ultimate x64 system.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Hey for those that have Adobe professional 8.0 installed on Windows 7, be sure to install the 8.1 update, restart your computer, then go to DEVICES AND PRINTERS on the right hand side of your start menu. Choose Adobe PDF and right click to select "printer properties." Be sure to select "printer properties" not "properties". Select the ADVANCED tab, then select the button called "print directly to printer". This will solve the issue if you were unable to print to the Adobe printer. I tested it and it worked!
    • Proposed as answer by JLJP Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Not sure if this is the same issue.  I tried to install my Acrobat 8 Professional on my new Win 7 machine and the install gave me the following message:

"The file AdobePDF.dil on Windows Vista CD-ROM is needed"

This is a Windows 7 machine, not Vista, and I don't have an operating system disk.  Anyone run into this or have a work-around?

Friday, August 13, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Never mind.  I found the solution here.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401731.html

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:04 AM
  • I am working with Acrobat 8 Standard on Windows 7 x64 for this Solution. 

I copied the link below from Adobe website.  If it does not work here in my response, just go to there website and do a search for the fileaname.  You can download the adobe 64 file below from their website.  You do not need the CD.  Then rename the file by removing the 64 from it.  When the install window comes up asking for the adobepdf.dll file, you must have already renamed the adobepdf.dll_64 to adobepdf.dll(just remove the underscore and the 64 from the filename).  Select the newly renamed file and it will finish the installation and it will load an Adobe PDF printer.  I have run into one small issue.  When I try to print a photo file (i.e., .png, .jpg, .tif, .bmp) to .PDF,  the printer just does not work.  Also, I cannot not run the update from the HELP menu.  I am going to attempt a manual update from the website to 8.1 first and see if that fixes these two issues.  I can print to .PDF from other higher priority applications, but I thought I would mention the photo app issue. 

Windows 7 64-bit

Manually extract the file "adobepdf.dll_64" from the data1.cab file before installing Acrobat. When the prompt appears, navigate to this file and select it.

• Proposed as answer by Kratesis Monday, November 12, 2012 3:46 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 6:53 PM
  • It worked thanks
    Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:58 AM
  • How did you get it to load?  I can't get past putting in my serial number.
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:29 PM
  • zxmartin -

Thank you so much!  Your instructions were PERFECT!  Instead of downloading adobepdf.dll_64 I just extracted it from \data1 on the CD...

And I found that once I did the manual updates up to 8.1.7 THEN I was able to run the Help \ Check for Updates tool - and it upgraded all the way up to 8.3.1 on the first round.

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:48 PM