none
Non-Admin Network Printer install

Question

• Ok, I've read through lots of posts about this issue, but even with Point and Print configured I am still unable to get a regular user to install an unsigned print driver.  It starts the process and gets about 1/3 way through transferring files when I get "access is denied".  The last file shown that it's trying to transfer is jcui.exe.  Domain Controllers are 2008 Enterprise, workstation is WIndows 7 Pro.  Here are the details of the GPO I'm trying to test:

Security Settings
    Local Policies/Security Options
    Devices
    Policy Setting
    Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers Disabled

Policy Setting Comment
    Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these device setup classes Enabled  
    Allow Users to install device drivers for these classes:
    {4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

User Configuration (Enabled)
    Policies
    Administrative Templates

Policy Setting Comment
    Point and Print Restrictions Enabled  
    Users can only point and print to these servers: Enabled
    Enter fully qualified server names separated by semicolons   List of Print Servers
    Users can only point and print to machines in their forest Enabled

Security Prompts:
    When installing drivers for a new connection: Do not show warning or elevation prompt
    When updating drivers for an existing connection: Do not show warning or elevation prompt
    This setting only applies to:
    Windows Vista and later
    System/Driver Installation
    Policy Setting Comment
    Code signing for device drivers Enabled  
    When Windows detects a driver file without a digital signature: Ignore
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If standard users are able to install the printers with the steps in my previous post, actually they are allowed to install printer drivers. In this case we do not need to do anything regarding the policies.

The printer driver included in Windows Server 2008 are compatible with Windows Vista systems, but may not be compatible with Windows 7 (the drivers included in Windows Server 2008 R2 are compatible with Windows 7). In order to involve Windows 7 compatible drivers, you need to download the printer drivers and add the drivers in Printer Management in Windows Sever 2008. You may select one of the printers and download driver for it as a test. If it works, you may download drivers for all the problematic printers and add them into the server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, August 30, 2010 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How do you install the driver? Is it a single driver installation program? If so, I suspect that only administrators can launch this program. It should be by design of the driver publisher.

You can try to install drivers with the following steps:

Scenario 1: Install a local printer in Windows 7.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Devices and Printers.
    2. Click Add a Printer.
    3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Choose an existed LPT port, click Next.
    5. Select the correct driver in from the driver list. If the required driver is not present, click the “Windows Update” button. After the update finishes, search for the proper driver again.

Scenario 2: Install a network printer in Windows 7.

If the driver installation program does not help in this, follow the steps below to add a shard printer.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Devices and Printers.
    2. Click Add a Printer.
    3. Select "Add a local printer".
    4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.
    5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.

\\<IP address of the host computer>\<The Share Name of the printer>

Then click Next.
    6. Select the correct driver in from the driver list. If the required driver is not present, click the “Windows Update” button. After the update finishes, search for the proper driver again.  
    If you allow standard users to install drivers, it should work.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum 
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 27, 2010 4:00 AM
  • The correct drivers are on the print server, so the workstation is getting them from the server.  It's not a software installation package, it's just the driver package coming from the server.  That's why I don't understand why this isn't working.  Everything I've read says to get a network printer installed by a non-admin account you just need to setup the point and print settings. 

I know we can install the drivers manually but that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.  The point is so that regular users can just go to Devices and Printers, click Add New Printer and add the printer they need.  We're trying to reduce administrative overhead, and the less printers we have to go around and setup the better.  We can deploy printers through GPO, but that is going to get messy as we're rolling out new Win 7 workstatiosn, but not to everyone.  So existing users would get double printers while the new workstations would be right.

Friday, August 27, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

What i normally do is install all the possible drivers (only drivers, by browsing UNC path to my print server and right clicking on the printers and connect), I do all that as an admin on all my builds, this way, any user can do the same and it will work because the drivers will be already installed on local PC, they just have to choose the printers they need but no issues with rights.

It works fine with XP PRO and 7 Enterprise machines... 

A.I.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Pecora, that's not a bad idea.  I may do that and build it into the image I'll be deploying.  Though I'd still like to know why I can't get a regular user to install an unsigned print driver, as I'm sure there has to be a way to do it.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

If standard users are able to install the printers with the steps in my previous post, actually they are allowed to install printer drivers. In this case we do not need to do anything regarding the policies.

The printer driver included in Windows Server 2008 are compatible with Windows Vista systems, but may not be compatible with Windows 7 (the drivers included in Windows Server 2008 R2 are compatible with Windows 7). In order to involve Windows 7 compatible drivers, you need to download the printer drivers and add the drivers in Printer Management in Windows Sever 2008. You may select one of the printers and download driver for it as a test. If it works, you may download drivers for all the problematic printers and add them into the server.

Monday, August 30, 2010 7:05 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to check how things going. Is there any information needed?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Hi All,

I am also experiencing this problem when trying to install network printers on a Server 2003 R2 system using a Window 7 x64 client. Despite adding x64 drivers for all relevant printers to C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers folder I still receive an Access Denied error when attempting to install the driver. My point and print GPO setting for it is set to Disabled and the local security policy allows non-admins to install printers.

I perceive the aforementioned "fix" to actually be a workaround, attempting to walk a remote user through the process of configuring a print port before installing a network printer is excessively complicated and time consuming and does not address teh inherent issue of point and print not working for non-administrative account but working fine for admins.

I'd also like to know exactly where I can find information about such changes, I wasn't aware such a fundamental system had been changed with such dramatic effect otherwise I could've factored it into our Windows 7 roll-out whereas I'm only now finding out by way of dissatisfied user calls.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:30 AM
  • MrWest and rest,

Has anyone had any luck with this?  I have same setup as MrWest, having a GPO that is set properly (followed MS links) but no luck.  Any updates?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Hello All,

I'm also having the same issue adding a Network Printer. My Print Server is 2008 x64 and the Workstations are Win7 Ent x64.

I'd like to add all of the drivers to the image, but wwhat do I do when an updated driver or a new type of printer is added to the network?

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:20 AM