Black screen after Vista boot

Question

• Hi,

I'm experiencing boot problem with Vista Ultimate.

When I boot, after the Vista green loading bar disappears and before the Windows Vista logo appears, the system stops to respond (I get a black screen, no mouse, no cursor, no HDD activity, nothing). It appeared when I installed a nVidia GeForce 6200 in the computer. I reinstalled Windows with this card thinking it was a driver problem, but it still hangs.

The main problem is that I got the black screen many times, but after 1, 2, 3 or more boots, Vista loads correctly and I can use my computer without any problem at all. So, if it was the video card, or the driver, I don't think the computer can be as stable. I tried memory tests, hard drive tests, all with succes. I read the Windows logs (performance monitor and others) without any response (the multiple boot doesn't appears in them). When I boot in safe mode, it works everytime.

I also tried many bios configurations (optimized defaults, failsafe defaults, AGP4x, AGP8x, disable the fastwrite option....).

Do you have any idea ?

My hardware :

MB : Asrock K7S41GX
    CPU : Athlon XP 2100+
    RAM : 512MB Kingston DDR3200
    PSU : Antec Smartpower 350W
    HDD : Western Digital 80GB
    DVD : Liteon SOHW 812s
    GC : Asus nVidia GeForce 6200 128MB
    Monitor : Ultrasharp 2007WFP
    Digital TV Card : Terratec Cinergy T XS
    Remote Control : Microsoft MCE Remote Control
    Highly ventilated case

My Software :

Windows Vista Ultimate French
    nVidia up-to-date drivers
    ffdshow (january version)
    terratec cinergy up-to-date drivers
    all other drivers are those which are on the Vista DVD + Windows Update

Thank you very much for your help.

Friday, March 09, 2007 1:36 PM

Answers

• Before starting Vista I pressed F8 a couple of times and selected to let it run while logging the boot process (ntbtlog.txt in windows folder).

I found out it didn't load ACPI x86 based PC "drivers". Because of that, it didn't load my graphics card either.

Afterwards I changed driver, but by doing so it would only use one processor (I got a dual core AMD). Now everything ran fine without problems.

So I went to the Nvidia.com site and downoaded the NForce chipset drivers (not the graphics card drivers!) because I got a Nforce chipset in my PC. Installed the Vista drivers and everything seems to be stable now. Although, when looking in the logs, it still gives some ACPI related errors for 3 things. I can't find anything referring to those and all hardware seems to be working fine. Also double checked if it really runs on both processors now and it does.

Let's hope I don't get that (random) black screen again while booting up.

Monday, April 09, 2007 7:40 PM

All replies

• It look like a hardware problem. Does the power supply got enough power?
    Also, the mainboard may not be compatible with Vista, you may contact the mainboard vendor to deal with that.

Friday, March 09, 2007 5:36 PM
  • The Problem is because of the ATK utility installed by AMD processors, This ACPI ultilty crashed my system several times but i resolved this problem by installing drivers which were for X64 XPin vista.. after that i doenloaded the drivers for my processor and utility from

www.amd.com and everything got fine...

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Thank you very much for your answers.

After many tests, i've found "what" could cause the problem. Indeed, I was using the "control userpasswords2" function to avoid entering a password at the logon (I use this machine as a Media Center, and I don't want to type my password each time I start it). After reinstall Vista, I forgot to re-active this function, and I typed my password "normally" (it was for testing purpuse). It appears that my computer started to freeze at the "welcome" screen, just after the logon. So, when I was thinking that the problem was just after the boot, in fact, it's after the logon. It seems that a service/driver/other is bugging and windows stops. I've no error when I login in safe mode, neither when I login with no service actived... I've no software configured to launch at the startup (in msconfig, i've just the two "Microsoft Windows Operating System" in the startup tab).

Another strange thing, is that the bug is more and more frequent: when the installation is fresh, no bug, after some boot, sometime a freeze, and a reset resolve the problem...But after many boot, the freeze is almost everytime present, and I must reset many times before the system starts normally... I remember an article where the journalist explained that Vista "learns" to start services in an order depending on its startup speed: if the service has a quick startup, Vista loads it in the first positions, and if it's long, at the end... Can it be linked to my problem ?

Is there any way to log each thing windows starts from the start of the boot to the apparition of the desktop ?

I'm going to try the AMD drivers update... Hope it will resolve the thing.
    Edit: I tried to find these drivers, but I can't find any driver for Athlon XP for Vista or XP... Can you give me an url to try these solution ?
    Thank you very much.

(PS: sorry for my poor english )

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:58 AM
  • New tests, new conclusion : nVidia drivers !

I was thinking that a service or anything else was the source, but in fact, it's the nVidia drivers for my 6200. When I de-install the Geforce (use the generic VGA driver of Vista), the PC works fine. When I install the drivers (any driver, even those on the DVD or from Windows Update), the PC crash after the logon (Welcome screen). With the last beta drivers of nVidia (101.4x), the PC hangs just after the bootup (the green loading bar) with a black screen, like I describe it in the first post.

The thing I don't understand at all, is that when it arrives to boot correctly, the PC works really fine, even with high charge on the graphic card or the processor. Freezes appear only at the boot/logon. What can cause this ? I already had problems with a PSU, but the freezes appeared generally when the graphic card was really charged, and it was random. A hardware problem is also generally random, and it's not the case here... I really don't know what can cause this...

Edit: I tried another PSU (480W) and the bug is still here...

Edit 2: I tried another graphic card (a Geforce FX 5200) and no bug. I put the 6200 in another computer (with a nForce 2 chipset) and no bug... Maybe an incompatibility with the SIS chipset ? I just hope the bug will not come back again on the other computer. I'd like to know if you have an idea of the source of the problem :)

Thanks.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:17 AM
  • HI!! have you tried changing your RAM,

if not try it, and use WHQL drivers,

also there is a tool in windows for performance & stability, just type performance in the search box and it will come, click on the second one (Performance information & tools) now click on Advanced tools.... now click on Generate the system health report, a report will generate and tell you the error coz of which your PC is freezing...

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

I made a long scan of the memory (with memtest+ --> 10 pass) with no problem.

I've already searched in the perf mon, and I didn't find anything, but I'll try your tip.

Concerning my previous post, I think I was speaking too fast... I got another freeze yesterday at the Welcome screen with the 5200... So, I really don't think the problem comes from the graphic card but from the motherboard or an incompatibility between the SIS chipset and nVidia cards (I never had this problem with an ATI 8500 card, but it uses not a WDDM driver, so I can't really compare).

Any idea to have a true log of what service/driver/software is loaded ? I tried the log option of Windows (in the F8 boot menu) but it just logs drivers loaded during the bootup (the green loading bar).

Thanks.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:17 AM
  • I experience the exact same Problem (the only difference besides hardware is, that I'm using the alternative launch screen, not the bar). I'm using Vista Home Premium, with a GeFroce 7900GS, and a Intel Viiv Core 1 Duo Processor. I bought it from Dell, and didn't change any of the hardware pieces, so it shouldn't be some hardware incompatibility. I just started my PC the 6th time without getting any picture.

ED: I got it running now after using the "Starthilfe" (I dont know what its called in the english version. Maybe "Boot Assistant", the tool that searchs and repairs boot-problems). I will use the Standby mode more often now :D, I don't dare shutting down my PC.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:20 PM
  • Hi!

I have the same problem  and I resolve it by disabling the "legacy USB storage detect" option in my BIOS because I have an external hard drive disk (MyBook western digital). I noticed vista didn't want to boot without the black screen when the hard disk was powered on and now with this option, set to disabled, it works fine. Maybe you can try this to solve the problem.

Bye!

Friday, March 16, 2007 12:47 PM
  • I have had the same problem and here is what I found out.

There appears to be some compatability issue between Vista and the power seetings.  If you disable the "Stand By" feature from the control panel, your problem should be solved. 

Friday, March 23, 2007 2:24 PM
  • Seem lot of reason of the Blank screen problem.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 1:47 PM
  •  tai024 wrote:

Hi!

I have the same problem and I resolve it by disabling the "legacy USB storage detect" option in my BIOS because I have an external hard drive disk (MyBook western digital). I noticed vista didn't want to boot without the black screen when the hard disk was powered on and now with this option, set to disabled, it works fine. Maybe you can try this to solve the problem.

Bye!

The problem is more frequent when I have just a USB-Stick plugged in, so this really may be a part of the problem.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 2:13 PM
  •  TheRealDante wrote:
     tai024 wrote:

Hi!

I have the same problem and I resolve it by disabling the "legacy USB storage detect" option in my BIOS because I have an external hard drive disk (MyBook western digital). I noticed vista didn't want to boot without the black screen when the hard disk was powered on and now with this option, set to disabled, it works fine. Maybe you can try this to solve the problem.

Bye!

The problem is more frequent when I have just a USB-Stick plugged in, so this really may be a part of the problem.

Strange, I got no problem to boot when the USB-stick was pugged in.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:41 PM
  • I do not believe this to be an Nvidia driver problem because I have a new system from Dell (could be the problem in itself ) But here is my config:

2.4GHz Core Duo Pentium
    2 GB RAM
    ATI X1300 256MB Card
    Vista Ultimate

So I have neither an AMD processor or an Nvidia graphics card. I have the same issue where after the PC starts and the windows logo comes on and then it goes to load the User's page (I have 2 user's on my computer) it just goes to black. Same where after a couple of hard restarts it resolves the issue. It used to happen if I had a disc (any kind) in my disc drives when I started the PC but now it is doing it whenever it feels like it.
    Thursday, April 05, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem, this time with my nVidia 5200, then with an ATI 8500 AIW...

It appears that it's not a problem due to the graphic card actually.

I changed the CPU to test if it comes from it. I will know if it's the case tonight.

In fact, I bought another mothercard (Asrock with a nVidia 6100 IGP) and processor (AMD Sempron 2600+) and I do not have problem.

Maybe a problem with the Sis chipset of my previous MB ?

Do you have a sis chipset on your Dell ?

Friday, April 06, 2007 8:30 AM
  • I am not sure. Although I believe I have found a solution to my problem. I booted into safe mode and in msconfig I turned the No GUI boot option on and it resolved the issue... at least for now... I will keep ya'll posted.
    Friday, April 06, 2007 4:14 PM
  • I also have this problem, but only when I turn the PC on.
    If I reset the PC, nothing seems to be the problem, but when I turn the PC off and put it back on again I sometimes get a black screen after the loading bar.
    I'll try some of the suggested solutions later.
    Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:38 AM
  • I have been frantically looking for the reason that my new Vista install suddenly began to hang for about 3-minutes after the load bar. I had been loading lots of software and drivers so I couldn't pinpoint the exact time it began to happen. After hours of searching forums, I ran across one person who claimed that their WD MYBook was the issue. As soon as I disconnected mine, the boot issue was resolved. I don't have a fix, but at least I know. Hope this helps!
    Sunday, April 08, 2007 2:57 AM
  • Dell Dimension C521, Athlon 64 X2, ATI Radeon X1300, Vista Home Premium OEM: I disabled ATI CLI and Ethernet wake-on-lan and the problem seems to have gone away.
    Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Before starting Vista I pressed F8 a couple of times and selected to let it run while logging the boot process (ntbtlog.txt in windows folder).

I found out it didn't load ACPI x86 based PC "drivers". Because of that, it didn't load my graphics card either.

Afterwards I changed driver, but by doing so it would only use one processor (I got a dual core AMD). Now everything ran fine without problems.

So I went to the Nvidia.com site and downoaded the NForce chipset drivers (not the graphics card drivers!) because I got a Nforce chipset in my PC. Installed the Vista drivers and everything seems to be stable now. Although, when looking in the logs, it still gives some ACPI related errors for 3 things. I can't find anything referring to those and all hardware seems to be working fine. Also double checked if it really runs on both processors now and it does.

Let's hope I don't get that (random) black screen again while booting up.

Monday, April 09, 2007 7:40 PM
  • OK, the problem can be solved by using latest driver of the mainboard. Let's close this thread now.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:46 PM