none
Sony Vaio FN key stops working

Question

• My sony vaio vgn-fs810/w notebook pc loaded with vista beta, has a problem with the FN keys.  It doesnt work anymore! the fn key works because i can change the Scr LK but i can't use it with the F2-F12 .... i hope someone knows how to make it work. please help!
    Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:53 AM

Answers

• i believe this problem occured when we upgraded the OS version, or re-installed the OS without using OEM packages

well, try this and perhaps it might help you find your way out : sit back & relax..
    i've tried these steps below, and it works on my WIN-XP

1. make sure you have installed the 'Preinstalled Utilities' first !!
        the utilities could be found in :
             http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_gb_cons&c=0&s=-1&m=0

2. you need the 'HotKey Utility' running on your system
        here's i found some version of 'Hotkey Utility' in :
             ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/Vaio/hotkey/
       i used the newest version (SONYUTILS_HOTKEY_10_ENG.ZIP), and.. gee, now i love to press my fn+f4 for mostly times

if you running an upgraded OS, you may check this hotkey utility services whether it's already running in background or not
       in Windows Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del), find the proccessing files named  HKwnd.exe & HKserv.exe. if those files exist
       but your fn+key still not working, then it might be there's a compatibility problem with your newer OS version. so i think that
       you will need to upgrading the utilities

ow..yaa, don't forget to restart your pc after installing,
    and make sure a 'start up item' in System Configuration Utility (run msconfig.exe) named 'HKserv' is enabled (default)
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:48 AM

All replies

• I have the same issue with a VGN-S380P.  With some tweaking, everything seems to be humming along very nicely.  However, I can't adjust the brightness of the LCD because the FN key does not work under Vista.  The volume can only be adjusted via the taskbar icon because of the same issue.  Additionally, this unit comes with 2 'S' buttons that can be assigned to different tasks via the Sony Notebook Control utility in XP - they have no functionality in Vista and can't be assigned, since the Sony program doesn't work.  Obviously these are Sony-specific utilities that drive these functions, butr it would be nice to be able to map keys in Vista to handle tasks such as volume and LCD brightness.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:51 PM
  • This forum is for the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT). I am moving your thread to the Hardware forum where they might be able to provide more guidance.
    Friday, July 28, 2006 10:07 PM
  • Just got them working on my sz370p which is similar modl as yours.

Downloaded all drivers from sony's web site and installed them and Fn keys and fingerprinter reader worked ok.

Just make sure you are logged in as administrator and have the user account control turned off.

Hope it helps.

Friday, May 04, 2007 6:57 AM
  • I have the vaio vgn fs 8900p.  i have the same issue... i cannot use fn keys 1-12.

i was told by sony tech support that i might have to wait until microsoft comes up with service pack..

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:37 PM
  • Does anyone have a solution.  I have downloaded the drivers from Sony and relevant utilites, but my Fn keys still do not work , which is annoying as I am a presenter and cannot us Fn F7 to toggle .  Can anyone suggest anything else ?

Monday, September 03, 2007 3:34 PM
  •  

I'm afraid what I have is a workaround rather than a solution. I just had a user comes to me with his Sony Vaio with the same problem. Except that he's running XP Pro, not Vista.

I haven't tried reinstalling the drivers yet, but I did find that I could turn the clone mode on via right clicking on the desktop and choosing "graphic options-->Output to-->Intel Display Dual Clone." Alternatively, I could do the same thing by going to Control Panel and opening up the Intel Extreme Graphics Control and going to "Intel Dual Display Clone" under the devices tab, clicking "Device settings" and checking the "full Screen (no border) box and then hitting Apply.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Marchie, I know exactly how you feel. I have VAIO FS660w and installed Vista Ultimate, so have the same problem. However, there is a way to (semi-quickly) turn on the projector option. If you go to control panel->windows mobility center, you will be able to quickly turn on the projector output and have access to some other feautures such as wireless and volume. It is the best thing I can think off while microsoft puts out the solution to this problem.....if they ever will

Good Luck,

Artur

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:26 AM
  • i believe this problem occured when we upgraded the OS version, or re-installed the OS without using OEM packages

well, try this and perhaps it might help you find your way out : sit back & relax..
    i've tried these steps below, and it works on my WIN-XP

1. make sure you have installed the 'Preinstalled Utilities' first !!
        the utilities could be found in :
             http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_gb_cons&c=0&s=-1&m=0

2. you need the 'HotKey Utility' running on your system
        here's i found some version of 'Hotkey Utility' in :
             ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/Vaio/hotkey/
       i used the newest version (SONYUTILS_HOTKEY_10_ENG.ZIP), and.. gee, now i love to press my fn+f4 for mostly times

if you running an upgraded OS, you may check this hotkey utility services whether it's already running in background or not
       in Windows Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del), find the proccessing files named  HKwnd.exe & HKserv.exe. if those files exist
       but your fn+key still not working, then it might be there's a compatibility problem with your newer OS version. so i think that
       you will need to upgrading the utilities

ow..yaa, don't forget to restart your pc after installing,
    and make sure a 'start up item' in System Configuration Utility (run msconfig.exe) named 'HKserv' is enabled (default)
    Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:48 AM
  • Yes, I know. I am having the same problems as well. My laptop crashed just yesterday and I had the computer guy fix it (took him the whole day) and now my function keys don't work. I am using a PCG-K27. Any help would be appreciated.
    Friday, March 14, 2008 4:35 AM
  • Hello, its not only Sony with the problem, i have a Samsung R70, was running Vista when i purchased it but i didn't like it so i put XP on it, runs great apart from some of the FN keys don't work, the main one i'm bothered about is FN + F4 as i use this to toggle displays to watch films through my TV. Have you found a fix for it yet? if so pls let me know.... Cheers.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:48 PM
  • Hello there III A5H III
    Unfortunately, I haven't yet able to find a solution to my problem. I am still hoping someone will write a method to fix this issue. I will however bug Sony for a patch that supposedly fixes bugs like this.
    In your case, if its something to your interest, there are free softwares (Hot Key softwares) out there that control the functions of FN keys. Perhaps it may be a temporary solution. I wasn't able to find one that controls the brightness unfortunately.
    Hope this helps.
    Artur

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 10:55 PM
  • Hi Artur, thanks for the fast reply. i'm quite lucky really as the brightness, volume and sleep FN keys do work, its really confusing me as to why these work but the others don't, i have found a way round FN F4 by using the graphics s/w but its a long way of doing things. worked fine with Vista i just didn't like it, really slow and lots of COM surrogate errors!.... i might try the hot key s/w see what that can do for me, any ideas which is the best one? thanks.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Hello there. I am glad your brighntess/volume functions work. I think those are the most important. Personally, I didn't find any softwares for hot keys that worked for me. None of them had the option to toggle brightness or other VAIO feautures, so I ended up uninstalling them. But if you google Hot Key softwares or Function key softwares, you will find a myriad of links to good gear. I think any of them will work for your purpose.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:38 PM
  •  

Hello.

I had the same problem but i have solved it.

For me, I just went to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services > VAIO Event Manager

Make sure this starts up as "automatic" and is enabled.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by norea Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:51 AM
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I have found this on ebay, followed and solved my problem!!! hope this will help you also

Sony Vaio Hotkeys, Screen Brightness & PowerPanel
    by: choppershaw( 2683)
    23 out of 23 people found this guide helpful.
    Guide viewed: 2434 times Tags: Sony | Vaio | Hotkeys | Brightness | Powerpanel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SONY VAIO LAPTOP 'HOTKEYS'
    WHY AM I WRITING THIS GUIDE?
    I am writing this guide to help people looking for information on setting up the 'Hotkeys' on various Sony Vaio laptops. The 'Hotkeys' are secondary functions that are symbolised in blue on your laptop keyboard across various F-keys. The 'Hotkeys' are accessed in conjunction with the FN key. These functions control basic but essential settings such as screen brightness, volume levels, monitor out etc etc.

I recently needed to setup the hotkeys on a Sony Vaio Z505AP laptop following a fresh install. I spent quite a time searching for information & drivers across various websites & forums. It quickly became apparent that a lot of people were having problems with the same task so I felt writing this guide would be helpful to others & save them alot of time.

The process will vary from each Vaio model but this should hopefully save you a lot of time and make the task easier. For the two Vaio models (Z505AP & Z600LEK) I recently set the Hotkeys up on, the process is similar and the theory the same.

WHAT TO INSTALL?
    To get the Hotkeys working your Vaio laptop requires THREE different components/sets of software installed, these are:

'Hotkey drivers'
    'Sony Shared Library'
    'Sony Utils'

Once you install these three components & restart your Vaio laptop your Hotkeys should be working. These are all unobtrusive files that will only enhance your Vaio machine however alternatively you can install Sony's Powerpanel or Batteryscope programs to perform the similar features.

Most these files are written for specific Vaio models however there is some overlapping and files from similar Vaio models may work with your own laptop.

WHERE TO FIND THESE FILES?
    There are various online resources relating to this topic however the best place to find these files is the one below.

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/VAIO/ORIGINAL

Using that site, find your model number & download the relevant 'Utilities' file. You might also find useful the link below, which may help with this task and/or others (including RAM upgrade advice etc)

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk

It took many reinstalls to work out the order and what programmes needed to be installed to get the hotkeys working & I purposefully took hours doing so, noting each step I made so this guide could be written and save time for others.

• Proposed as answer by justme1705 Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:08 PM
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:53 AM
  •  MGriff wrote:

Hello.

For me, I just went to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services > VAIO Event Manager

Hope this helps.

Cool, i do the same way and fix problem.

Thanks MGriff.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 5:26 PM
  • Mgriff

I used your suggestion and worked like charm. Thanks a bunch.

My problem happened after a virus clean-up. It was a worm and I assume it has changed some of the settings on my sony laptop. Again thanks.

Prof22

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:45 PM
  •  MGriff wrote:

Hello.

Hope this helps.

When I looked that service was running on my notebook. I restarted it and the problem is solved. Thankyou!
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:48 AM
  •  MGriff wrote:

Hello.

Hope this helps.

When I looked that service was running on my notebook. I restarted it and the problem is solved. Thankyou!
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Thanks very much!  This did the trick for me also.
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Thanks, I will see what I can do, I think I tried it once, maybe it will magically start working!!
    Friday, October 24, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Thanks ki_! I just reinstalled WinXP Pro on my laptop. I don't the Recovery Disk with me anymore for my Vaio VGN-S38GP and had problems using the FN Keys.

I followed your simple instructions and my FN + keys were able to work. I had trouble though with the screen,but it's solved. Each time I press FN+F7 to use my monitor it displays for 2 sec then goes blank and switches back to the Laptop LCD. Had it solved by choosing CLONE in my GeForce Go 6200 settings. Now it's steady!!!

Thanks for sharing and helping!

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

I've tried the solutions posted. I have some of the Fn functions working (like changing the brightness of the laptop), but I still can't change the laptop's volume by pressing Fn buttons. Can someone help me figure out why?

Thanks in advance!
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:33 AM
  • I was fixing a VGN-FS850. I deleted all the partitions and re-installed windows. I installed XP Pro. I didn't have the recovery disc so I went to http://esupport.sony.com/, typed the model and downloaded the drivers and utilities. Everything was working fine except for the function keys. I spent a day trying to fix this issue but nothing solved it. I even spoke to sony "techs" through live chat and they weren't able to fix it. Finally I found a site that gave me the solution, even though it wasn't meant for this model. I followed the steps and now the laptop is like brand new.

I downloaded Sony Notebook Utilities (under Notebook Control and Utilities) and the program Universal Extractor to extract all the utilities packaged in it, instead of running Sony Notebook Utilities because that didn't work the few times I tried. Once it's extracted, open the folder, open the TEMP folder, and open the Drivers folder. Here you have the utilities needed for the function keys. They each are in their own folders and have their own setup wizard. I also had to download the Sony Shared Library (under System Components) because it is part of the process.

The next step is very important: The utilities have to be installed in a specific order, if not, they most likely won't fix the funtion key issue.

1. SonyUtils (Sony Utilities DLL)
    2. Sony Shared Library (RESTART LAPTOP AFTER INSTALLING)
    3. SUS (Setting Utility Series)
    4. VES (VAIO Event Service) (RESTART IF NECESSARY)

After following these steps the function keys worked properly, like they did before re-installing windows. I hope this solves anyone elses issue because most people that solve an issue don't normally post how they did it.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Hi...

I went through the same headaches after upgrading a PCG-F420 to Windows 2000 Pro (SP4)
    (clean install after formatting hdd).

Here's the drill that worked for me.

Download the following drivers/utilties from the Sony website.

Install them in the order specified below or they won't likely work.

Be sure to restart after each step.

You'll note that the list and order is similar to lost2030's (above) but the older systems
    need the Programmable I/O Control Device Driver.

Sony Notebook Control Device Utility

Sony Programmable I/O Control Device

Sony Utility Dynamic Link Library

Sony Extended BIOS Dynamic Link Library

Vaio Action Setup

Hotkey

The notebook is now working quite well with no issues.

Hope this helps.

Monday, June 29, 2009 12:56 PM
  • Hi

I love the simplicity of your solution and want to try it on my newly refurbished VAIO PCG-7G1M but i dont have VAIO Event manager in my list of services.  Any ideas as i am a presenter and really need my F7 and F4 buttons to work.

Yours hopefully
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:13 PM
  •  

Hello.

Hope this helps.

THNX A LOT. 
    ur solution is close and it solved mine. 
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:51 AM
  • Please try installing all the available drivers and updates online
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:41 PM
  • This sort of worked for me. I had to download event manager first and 2 mins later prob solved!
    Saturday, April 03, 2010 8:39 AM
  • where do you install them online 

can you help me plz 

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:22 PM
  • The issue is that VAIO recovery utility is not only installs but also uninstalls applications. Try the following:

1. Goto Add/Remove programs and check if HotKey Utility is installed, if not run recovery utility and install. Reboot
    2. Goto Add/Remove programs and check if Sony Utilities DLL is installed, if not run recovery utility and install. Reboot 
    3. Run VAIO recovery utility and install Sony Drivers. Reboot

Do not perform the above all at once, but do it one by one.

AG
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:15 PM
  • This worked for me too, thanks for sharing a great tip :)

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Thanks. This worked on my sony vaio.
    Friday, March 04, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Hi lost 2030,

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. I did not find SonyUtils (Sony Utilities DLL) driver so only installed other software in the same order you suggested. After this my Fn key started working for all except for brightness. I installethink this is because i do not have SonyUtils (Sony Utilities DLL) driver. I looked on the sony website but i did not find it there. Could you please tell me where can i download it. My laptop model is VPCCW2S8E and i have window 7 32 bit installed in it.

Thanks a lot. I am loking forward to your help.

Ankit

Saturday, April 02, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Sounds like a hard ware problem and therefore you would most likely have to return the computer back to the manufacturer.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Cannot thank you enough.  Was so frustrated and did not want to downloads things until I was sure.  I think I may have pressed the function key and one other that stopped my function keys from working.  All going well now and I am a very happy bunny. 
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:49 PM
  • I was fixing a VGN-FS850. I deleted all the partitions and re-installed windows. I installed XP Pro. I didn't have the recovery disc so I went to http://esupport.sony.com/, typed the model and downloaded the drivers and utilities. Everything was working fine except for the function keys. I spent a day trying to fix this issue but nothing solved it. I even spoke to sony "techs" through live chat and they weren't able to fix it. Finally I found a site that gave me the solution, even though it wasn't meant for this model. I followed the steps and now the laptop is like brand new.

I downloaded Sony Notebook Utilities (under Notebook Control and Utilities) and the program Universal Extractor to extract all the utilities packaged in it, instead of running Sony Notebook Utilities because that didn't work the few times I tried. Once it's extracted, open the folder, open the TEMP folder, and open the Drivers folder. Here you have the utilities needed for the function keys. They each are in their own folders and have their own setup wizard. I also had to download the Sony Shared Library (under System Components) because it is part of the process.

The next step is very important: The utilities have to be installed in a specific order, if not, they most likely won't fix the funtion key issue.

1. SonyUtils (Sony Utilities DLL)
    2. Sony Shared Library (RESTART LAPTOP AFTER INSTALLING)
    3. SUS (Setting Utility Series)
    4. VES (VAIO Event Service) (RESTART IF NECESSARY)

After following these steps the function keys worked properly, like they did before re-installing windows. I hope this solves anyone elses issue because most people that solve an issue don't normally post how they did it.

Thank you very much! This worked for upgrading a Sony Vaio VGN-FE770g from WinXP to Windows 7 Ultimate.

If anybody else has this problem, follow this steps to the letter and your issue will be solve.

Monday, October 03, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Thankyou .. Worked ~!~
    Monday, November 14, 2011 4:30 PM
  • HOW TO FIX BRIGHTNESS ISSUE

I tried EVERYTHING but could not get the brightness function to work. Oddly the volume function key was working, but the brightness was not.

The solution was to install the Sony® Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver

I installed in the following order:

1) Sony shared library .SOASSL-00214999-0042

2) Notebook Control and Utilities  - SOAOTH-536B0000-0042 (needs restart)

3) Sony® Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver (needs restart)

Note: If you install the sony firmware parser but still the brightness keys dont work, you need to reinstall number 1 and 2 in order again, then it will start working

• Edited by benanony Friday, February 08, 2013 5:10 PM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 5:09 PM