none
ieshims.dll missing

Question

• Whilst troubleshooting an application problem on Win7, I found that a dependancy of shdocvw.dll was missing: ieshims.dll. I haven't got it on my pc anywhere (or on my Vista PC) - does anyone know how I can get hold of a copy that will work with Win7? I've already installed all available updates, and have tried installing various IE8 updates that might contain this file, but I haven't been able to extract it from .msu or .cab files.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Steve

Monday, February 16, 2009 4:26 PM

Answers

• IEShims.dll should be in your "Program Files\Internet Explorer" folder, it's part of the initial install.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Langford Monday, February 16, 2009 5:08 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• IEShims.dll should be in your "Program Files\Internet Explorer" folder, it's part of the initial install.
    • Marked as answer by Steve Langford Monday, February 16, 2009 5:08 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Many thanks! Problem solved.

I sure I searched for the file though.... not sure how I missed it!

Cheers

Steve
    Monday, February 16, 2009 5:08 PM
  • Umm, Unfortunately it isn't the case ...
    I'm in here using Dependency Walker trying to fix a program that won't start and it says it can't find IESHIMS.DLL either. The next possible file I could find is xpshims.dll
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:20 AM
    I am also missing ieshims.dll and also bcrypt.dll neither are on my system anywhere and ieshims.dll is not in Program Files\Internet Explorer Folder. I can't find either of these posted anywhere on the internet.
    Wednesday, April 08, 2009 3:59 PM
  • I have a COM object dll that requires ieshims.dll and wer.dll to be registered, and they are both missing on my XP computer.  They are not in Program Files\Internet Explorer either.  I do see xpshims.dll, but no ieshims.dll. 
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:41 PM
  • i had the same problem (that's why i searched in forums)
    the above answer helped, but was missing a simple fact:
    you have to add the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer path to the PATH Environment Variable and restart the Application where you are missing the files
    (in earlier windows versions or internet explorer update installations the path environment is set correctly)

cheers Ralf
    • Proposed as answer by Ralf Jänike Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:06 AM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:04 AM
  • Thanks. Copying that dll to \windows\system32 allowed me to run regsrv32 on my dll and it work (windows 7). phreaky.
    • Proposed as answer by BastienMensink Wednesday, October 24, 2012 9:33 AM
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:34 PM
  • i had the same problem (that's why i searched in forums)
    the above answer helped, but was missing a simple fact:
    you have to add the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer path to the PATH Environment Variable and restart the Application where you are missing the files
    (in earlier windows versions or internet explorer update installations the path environment is set correctly)

cheers Ralf

You missed the point.  The DLL's are not present in %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer so adding that to the path doesn't help much!

In my case Depends.exe says I'm missing WER.DLLl and IESHIMS.DLL.    

C:\>dir "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer"\*.dll /s /b
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\custsat.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\hmmapi.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iecompat.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iedvtool.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\jsdbgui.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\jsdebuggeride.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\JSProfilerCore.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\jsprofilerui.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\pdm.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\sqmapi.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\xpshims.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwconn.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwdl.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwhelp.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwres.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\icwutil.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Connection Wizard\trialoc.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\MUI\0409\mscorier.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin2.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin4.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin5.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin6.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin7.dll
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\NPSibelius.dll

In fact, when I search the entire hard drive, no files with the names WER.DLL or IESHIMS.DLL show up.

This is a new machine with Win7 preinstalled.  I'm willing to believe it was a faulty OEM Win7 install and they *should* be there.  The point is they are not.  Short of formatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows 7, how can I get a copy of these DLLs?

Dale

Thursday, October 21, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Dale,

I have the same issue on XP.  I have xpshims.dll, but no ieshims.dll.  Have you found a fix yet?

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Ieshims.dll and wer.dll are only used on Vista and above machines for IE8, they are not needed in XP and thats why you can't find them. They can, however, be downloaded here:

http://www.dll-files.com/pop.php?dll=wer

http://www.dll-files.com/pop.php?dll=ieshims

Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:38 PM
  • I think you can also extract them from your install or recovery discs, download 7zip to read and copy files on disc. Although I suppose they could somehow be corrupt on you recovery disc which is made from the original install.

Saturday, December 04, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I also have this problem on Windows XP. A fresh install of MS IE 8 crashes a few seconds after start up. The Dependency Walker shows wer.dll and ieshims.dll missing. When I run the profile on Dependency Walker it shows there was an actual attempt to load IEShims.dll because one of its functions was called:

LoadLibraryA("IEShims.dll") called from "c:\windows\system32\IEFRAME.DLL" at address 0x3E1CB6B1 by thread 8.
    00:19:28.344: LoadLibraryA("IEShims.dll") returned NULL by thread 8. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).
    00:19:29.172: GetProcAddress(0xFFFFFFFF, "IEShims_GetOriginatingThreadId") called from "c:\windows\system32\IEFRAME.DLL" at address 0x3E1CB5D0 and returned NULL by thread 8. Error: The specified module could not be found (126).

So it looks to me that in spite of having an XP OS I will need this dll. What will happen if I install IEShims.dll, which was not meant for XP, on my XP machine?

There was no attempt to load wer.dll.

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:49 AM
  • I have a program for Huawey 3G modem E173 with Setup.exe file in software folder for E173 in CD in modem  flash emulator CD disk. Dependency Walker find that it is need modules ieshims.dll and wer.dll. They are absent in IE8 folder (IE8 with all updates) in program files and anywhere.  They are both missing on my XP SP3  with all updates computer.
     Dependency Walker find:
    At least one delay-load dependency module was not found. At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module. Dependence: ieshims.dll-IEFRAME.DLL-MSHTML.DLL-SHDOCVW.DLL-SHELL32.DLL-SETUP.EXE; WER.DLL-IEFRAME.DLL-...-SETUP.EXE. 
    MPR.DLL has another Link time stamp (14.04.2008 20:10 then it is in system ..21:40).

Georgiy
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 7:36 AM
  • It might be benign, does the executable not run? also try compatibility mode perhaps if so.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:53 PM
  • In my case, the IESHIMS.dll was in the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer directory, but dependency walker did not find it.

Any ideas?

Harry

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:33 PM
  • Harry did you ever figure out your problem? For me iTunes keeps crashing and dependency walker says IESHIMS.dll is missing, but it IS in the %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer directory.. ?
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:16 PM
  • Not to necro a thread, but I have some relevant information.

This came up for me while I was trying to register an OCX custom control. We are doing some testing of a 32-bit application on a 64-bit server, and we weren't able to register this custom control.

As it turns out, on 64-bit systems, the stuff that's normally placed in your C:\windows\system32 directory needs to placed in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory. The 64-bit WOW system actually virtualizes the System32 directory and replaces it with the SysWOW64 directory for 32-bit applicatons. (Why Microsoft didn't just create a System64 directory for 64-bit DLL's is beyond me.)

So that's something worth checking out - at least if your problem is a COM DLL or ActiveX control that normally sits in C:\windows\system32

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:30 PM
  • Many existing 32-bit applications hard code "c:\Windows\System32", and Microsoft wanted these to "just work" when recompiled as 64-bit. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff955767.aspx
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:52 PM
  • Many existing 32-bit applications hard code "c:\Windows\System32", and Microsoft wanted these to "just work" when recompiled as 64-bit. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff955767.aspx
    Which, of course, causes way more problems in the long run. How hard would it be to search and replace all instances of System32?
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:21 PM