none
Merge Windows.old and New Windows folders and keep applications?

Question

• So I have the windows.old folder on my laptop and I was wondering if I could move all the applications in the Program files over into the Windows 7 Program Files and run the applications just like they were installed in Windows 7 instead of Vista, which was my previous operating system. I can run the programs in the Windows.old folder so I thought if it would be possible just to merge the Program Files over so i don't have to re download all the old applications and games.

Suggestions/halp? :)
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:00 AM

Answers

• So I have the windows.old folder on my laptop and I was wondering if I could move all the applications in the Program files over into the Windows 7 Program Files and run the applications just like they were installed in Windows 7 instead of Vista, which was my previous operating system. I can run the programs in the Windows.old folder so I thought if it would be possible just to merge the Program Files over so i don't have to re download all the old applications and games.

Hi

No, this is not possible.

Generally, the software programs must be reinstalled. When a software installation program installs an application it writes information to the registry and configures the application to run on the operating system. Just moving files and folders to their previous location will not work.

If you have an application that runs as a standalone executable these will still work.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:12 AM

All replies

• Some Programs will not write registry keys so they will keep working after reinstall or upgrade operation system.

You can try to move them to another place. If they stopped working, move them back should help them back to work.

Some programs will still need to be reinstalled if they stopped working.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 6:18 AM

Hi

No, this is not possible.

Generally, the software programs must be reinstalled. When a software installation program installs an application it writes information to the registry and configures the application to run on the operating system. Just moving files and folders to their previous location will not work.

If you have an application that runs as a standalone executable these will still work.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Ronnie I realize this is an old post but I wonder what you think about this post?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/16282-windows-old-folder-restore-into-new-installation.html

Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:43 AM