Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving/deleting

Question

• UPDATE (2009-11-12):

This thread discusses the following glitches during file operations, in which file states are not properly updated until a manual refresh of the display:
    • After moving files: A) moved files do not disappear, or B), all moved files disappear but pop-ups report "Could not find this item" for each file.
    • After deleting files: deleted files do not disappear.
    • After renaming files: renamed files continue to show former filenames.
    • After creating a folder: created folder does not appear.
    • After emptying the Recycle Bin: emptied bin is not shown as empty.

ORIGINAL POST:

On fresh installs of Windows 7 RTM (both 32- and 64-bit), Windows Explorer does not properly refresh the list of files after moving or deleting. For example, when moving 50 .jpgs from My Documents\test1 to My Documents\test2, only 10 .jpgs disappear from the file list until I manually refresh the view. This occurs regardless of view mode (Large Icons, Details, List). When moving files, I've noticed the problem only when both the source and destination folders are contained within Libraries.

Previous threads have suggested troubleshooting by using ShellExView to disable third-party extensions, but I'm observing these problems on fresh installs of Windows 7, with no extra software installed. The problem occurs frequently in regular usage.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    • Edited by joeboxer Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:53 PM update
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:28 AM

Answers

• Hi joeboxer ,

Thank you very much for providing the video and the report of Problem Steps Recorder.

I did a test according to the files you provided and here are the results:

-           When reproducing this issue by dragging the files across two Windows Explorer windows (one window is Test 1, the other is Test 2), the issue did not occur.

-           When reproducing this issue by dragging the files via Windows Explorer navigation pane in one window, the issue occurred.

It seems the issue only occurs when dragging the files in Windows Explorer navigation pane.

joeboxer, I have reported this issue with your video to related team. Again, thank you very much for your time in reporting this to us.

Sincerely,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:28 AM
    Monday, October 05, 2009 3:13 AM

All replies

• Hi joeboxer,

I have tested the issue on my Windows 7 RTM 32 bit. However, I cannot reproduce it. Since ShellExView is a tool to check third party extensions of Windows Explorer, please install it to check the result. You can simply uninstall it after resolving this issue.

In addition, you also can access Clean Boot by the steps below to see if the issue occurs:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Good luck.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, October 02, 2009 1:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:58 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Hi Linda,

Thank you for your detailed and helpful response. Unfortunately, the problem still occurs after each of the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Disabled all non-Microsoft shell extensions Using ShellExView (2 Nvidia, 4 Symantec, 1 "Bluewire General Property Sheet" extension). Restarted before testing.
    2. Clean boot using msconfig to disable all startup items and non-Microsoft services.
    3. Minimal Safe Boot using msconfig.

Regarding the steps to reproduce given in my first post, I should clarify that the problem doesn't occur every single time, particularly when copying the same group of .jpg's back and forth between the "test1" and "test2" folders. Varying the number of files copied seems to help.

What else can I try? It's probably not relevant, but I'm using an OCZ Summit SSD (deemed healthy by chkdsk and SpeedFan)...
    Monday, September 28, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Hi joeboxer,

I am not sure whether this issue is related to Solid-State Drives (SSD) since the data write theory is different from the hard disk drive. For your reference, I have included an article here: Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives.

In the meantime, you also can try a new user account to see if the issue occurs. If the issue persists, please perform in-place upgrade of Windows 7.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Thanks Linda, that article was actually one of the reasons I bought an SSD, as it reassured me of more mature OS support.

At your suggestion, I tried creating a new user account but the same problem occurs. As for trying an in-place upgrade, I'm currently running a clean install of Win 7 RTM 32-bit - are you suggesting that I install Vista and then upgrade that to Win 7?

I'm noticing now that, when this problem occurs, Windows Explorer always shows 10 files as moved regardless of the actual number. (I've tried with test batches of 40, 50, 60, and 73 .jpgs; average file size is ~250 KB.) Why the magic number 10?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:38 AM
  • Hi joeboxer,

It is weird that it only refreshes 10 files. You can try rebuild icon cache to see if the issue can be resolved. For your reference, I have included the steps below:

1. Click Start, and open Computer.

2. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.

3. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.

4. Then, enter the following directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

5. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache.db.old.

6. Close the window, and restart the computer.

What is the result?

Regarding In-place Upgrade, it is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer.  However, it is recommended to first backup your important information and files to other partitions or other disks. We can have a try to see if the issue works after in-place upgrade.

Turn off Windows features before performing an In-place Upgrade

=========================================

1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.

2. Click Classic View on the left pane, and double click Program and Features.

3. Click "Turn Windows features on or off on the left" pane.

4. In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck all of the check boxes, and then click OK. 

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Now, let's perform the following steps to repair the corrupted files:

In-place Upgrade

===========

Though this operation will not remove or modify the installed programs and files, I still suggest that we backup the important files before doing this. In addition, we may have to reinstall the device drivers after this operation. Thank you for your understanding.

Note: If the Windows 7 DVD is not available, please just run setup.exe file in the Windows 7 installation package to perform the following steps.

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

2. Click Start and choose Computer.

3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.

4. Click Install now.

5. When we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows 7 without the key. Please choose to confirm.

6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7.

Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded.

When the In-place Upgrade finishes please check the original issue again.

In addition, please also record a video to reproduce this issue. I will help to report it to related team for further research.

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

Regards,

Linda

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Hi Linda,

The issue persists after rebuilding my icon cache as well as after an in-place upgrade.

By the way, it appears that my SSD is unrelated to this issue. I imaged my system partition to a regular hard disk, disconnected all other drives, and still encountered the same quirk.

Thanks for passing this along for further research. Where should I send or post the video?
    • Edited by joeboxer Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:06 PM clarify
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Although the quirk was initially tricky to reproduce, the test below consistently triggers it on my machine. As requested, I made a video documenting the issue.
    1. Start with 50 files in My Documents\test1 .
    2. Move the last 30 files listed to My Documents\test2 .
    3. Move the remaining 20 files to My Documents\test2 .
    4. Move all 50 files in My Documents\test2 to My Documents\test1 , by drag and drop. Here's the quirk: only 10 files are shown as moved.

The video includes a few extra steps for informational purposes:
    • Double-click one of the phantom files - it can't be opened.
    • Manually refresh the Windows Explorer view - the folder is now correctly shown as empty.
    • View the folder My Documents\test1 - all 50 files were indeed moved correctly.

Notes:
    • For step 2, moving at least 30 but no more than 40 files from the end of the list triggers the issue every time. (Moving 30 files from the beginning of the list does not.)
    • For step 4, the 10 files shown as moved form a contiguous block, starting with the particular file clicked on initiation of drag and drop, and including the next 9 files following it in the current sort order. (If there are less than 9 files following it, the block will wrap to the beginning of the list.) In my video example, file #13 is clicked and thus #13-22 are shown as moved.
    • Edited by joeboxer Thursday, October 01, 2009 11:06 AM fixed formatting
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 11:02 AM
  • I still cannot reproduce this issue according to your steps... Please upload your video to SkyDrive and then let me know the link. I will help to report this issue via our internal channel.

joeboxer, your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Linda

Friday, October 02, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Just to double-check, I disconnected all my usual drives and did another clean install of Windows 7 RTM 32-bit on a spare hard disk. Windows Explorer showed the same behavior on this pristine install. On the very first boot, these are the exact steps I performed:
    1. Opened Windows Explorer.
    2. Copied 3 ready-made test folders to My Documents: test1 (containing 50 .jpgs, ~250 KB each), test2 (empty), and test3 (containing 40 empty .txt files).
    3. Changed to list view in Windows Explorer (just for convenience).
    4. Performed the test procedure given in my previous post - it consistently triggered the quirk when repeated.
    I also ran the test procedure with the 40 .txt files in test3 - same quirk. (I adjusted the procedure to use 40 files in Steps 1 and 4, and 10 in Step 3.)

Anyway, here is a video of the issue, as well as output from Problem Steps Recorder. Both demonstrate the same procedure listed in my previous post on Oct. 1.

Thanks, Linda, and hope this helps.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Hi joeboxer ,

Thank you very much for providing the video and the report of Problem Steps Recorder.

I did a test according to the files you provided and here are the results:

-           When reproducing this issue by dragging the files across two Windows Explorer windows (one window is Test 1, the other is Test 2), the issue did not occur.

-           When reproducing this issue by dragging the files via Windows Explorer navigation pane in one window, the issue occurred.

It seems the issue only occurs when dragging the files in Windows Explorer navigation pane.

joeboxer, I have reported this issue with your video to related team. Again, thank you very much for your time in reporting this to us.

Sincerely,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:28 AM
    Monday, October 05, 2009 3:13 AM
  • Although this is marked as 'Answered' i had a similar issue a couple of weeks back, i had to F5 after deleting files for the folders to refresh.

I managed to solve the problem by resetting the folder views, Explorer -> Organize -> Folder and search options -> View, then click 'Reset Folders'

Hope this helps others with the same issue :)

Jeff
    If anyone is helpfull, please click the 'Vote as helpfull' icon. If anyone has answered, please click 'Suggest as answer' at the bottom of the post involved :) Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by jhuizi Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:57 PM
    Monday, October 05, 2009 10:41 AM
  • It seems the issue only occurs when dragging the files in Windows Explorer navigation pane.

Yes, that's what I'm observing as well. Thanks, Linda, for being so responsive to the feedback.
    • Edited by joeboxer Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:52 PM Clarification: The above refers only to the file move test I described. The quirk also occurs when performing other file operations (such as deleting) solely in the right-hand pane.
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:23 AM
  • If you view the so-called 8.3 short filenames, are there 10 of them in sequence   filena~1.ext  filena~2.ext ... filena~9.ext  ?
    In my test batches, I used filenames of the form test (1).txt , test (2).txt , etc. When viewing the 8.3 filenames, none of the sequences reach "~9"; instead, filenames above "~4" take forms like TEDB9A~1.TXT, TE3F0D~1.TXT, TE8D05~1.TXT , etc. Is that what you were asking?
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:25 AM
  • I managed to solve the problem by resetting the folder views, Explorer -> Organize -> Folder and search options -> View, then click 'Reset Folders'
    Shucks. Didn't work for me.
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 11:26 AM
  • I had the same problem with Win 7 x64 RTM right off the bat from a fresh install. Even an r-click > "new folder" would not show up (until a forced F5 refresh). Deleting and rebuilding the icon cache worked fine. Now maybe that will also fix my "floating icons" on RDP connections back to this PC.....they randomize themselves quite regularly - very annoying!

Side note: seems like desktop operations have speeded up since the icon cache rebuild, as well.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 1:57 PM
  • I've been seeing these issues on a regular HDD with Win7 RTM. It was evident during the Windows 7 beta releases, and I know I was not alone in reporting it through the private beta on Connect.

On Vista the problem is more a case of only one explorer pane updating and not the other (left or right). 
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:30 AM
  • Linda, FYI this problem seems to be quite common:
    http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3103
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Hi - I joined this forum because I have the same problem and it's driving me nuts.

I have to press refresh to see any changes made to files in certain folders. I'm using W7 Home Premium retail x86.

I'm very keen to hear if anyone knows of a solution.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Linda,

I don't think this problem is solely related to the navigation pane. I often get this problem when deleting files as well (just by pressing the delete key on my keyboard).

The last time it happened to me I was deleting a file on an external USB HDD that had been aggregated into one of my libraries. It doesn't happen all the time - only rather sporadically and I have not been able to deduce a pattern as to when it happens like joeboxer has.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Yes, broccauley, this problem for me has nothing to do with the navigation pane.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but the problem folders for me are shared folders (shared with my extender). This may be a red herring, I don't know.
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:18 PM
  • I have this problem too. Specifically, when I'm working in the windows explorer window in Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and dragging files from the Libraries>Music>Sub1 to the Libraries>Music>Sub2 folder (both local folders). After "moving" the files, the screen does not update, but after an F5, everything updates fine. Kind-of annoying. Please fix.
    bp
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 6:30 PM
  • I'm also seeing cases where file renames are not being shown.

e.g.

1. F2 to rename
    2. adjust text, enter
    3. old text is shown
    4. hit F2 - previously adjusted text is shown already in edit box
    5. F5 to properly update explorer view

It doesn't happen all the time, so I'm having trouble getting a good repro case
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:20 PM
  • Thank you for reporting it! Hopefully, we'll see a fix soon.
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Please bear my rant. A small rant, but a rant nonetheless!

This "bug" was reported in windows7taskforce 6 months ago and no action was taken until now. Sure, windows7taskforce is not the correct place to submit bugs, but I supossed that Microsfot was monitoring user forums and user feedback.

W7Taskforce has a lot of good info that is just wasted by not be looking at.

Yes, I know, Microsoft combs trough thousands of feedback forms each day, but apparently is only acting in a very small few...

You have an amazing user fan base. Don't waste it!

Here! Rant Off!

Sorry if it was too much!
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Before you rant: the bug was reported in Windows7taskforce on August 17, nearly two weeks after Windows 7 shipped.

Easily verifiable: http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/3103

More to the point is that the bug was reported on Microsoft's own private beta forums on Connect much earlier.
    • Proposed as answer by m52go Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:50 PM
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:36 AM
  • I run myself into this problem.

Based on my observations, this is related to all file operations which involves the Windows UI shell: Windows Explorer (internally, I'm not sure it's caused by explorer.exe or other components). So, it's not just about moving or deleting files/folders, but also other file/folder operations, such as creating folder/file, renaming folder/file, etc.

The symptom I experience is simply that the UI shell is not AUTOMATICALLY REFRESHED ANYMORE after file/folder operations. And it seems it has implications such as my points before plus, for example, Recycle Bin icon in Desktop not changing to an empty state after emptying it.

For me, this bug occurs randomly. I'm not sure how to reproduce it intentionally. The only workaround works for me is by logging off and then logging in again.

I hope MS could reproduce this and provide a fix to it as well.

Thanks!

Maximilian Haru Raditya
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:42 AM
  • I don't think this problem is solely related to the navigation pane. I often get this problem when deleting files as well (just by pressing the delete key on my keyboard).
    Agreed, thanks for the correction. The problem does indeed occur when deleting files, as reported in my original post.

(I've now clarified my earlier reply to Linda, as my agreement about the navigation pane referred only to the specific file move test I described.)
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:56 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but the problem folders for me are shared folders
    I've only noticed the problem in aggregated folders, such as library folders and my desktop. Are your shared folders contained within libraries, by any chance?
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:58 PM
  • This did work for me. I run a Windows7 32bit Dutch version, upgraded from Windows Vista.
    I even encountered the problem after creating a folder. The new folder was invisible until pressing F5. Then renaming the folder, but the old name was displayed until I again hit F5.
    In Dutch: verkenner, extra, mapopties, weergave, standaard instellingen herstellen
    English: explorer, extra(?), folder options, view, reset...
    Now this works, I'm really happy with Windows7.

Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:14 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but the problem folders for me are shared folders
    I've only noticed the problem in aggregated folders, such as library folders and my desktop. Are your shared folders contained within libraries, by any chance?
    I have this same problem with a week-old clean install of Win7 Pro x64 RTM. The problem is reproducible but not universal, when testing by saving a few characters from Notepad:

I always have to refresh (via F5) when saving to:
    • my desktop (on C:, logical NTFS on Disk0)
    • E:\Temp (logical NTFS data partition on Disk0)
    • F:\Temp (logical NTFS data partition on Disk1)
    • P:\Temp (NTFS in a TrueCrypt container)
    I never have to refresh when saving to:
    • C:\Temp (again, logical NTFS on Disk0)
    • D:\Temp (small primary FAT32 on Disk0)
    • G:\Temp (logical NTFS XP install on Disk0)
    • L:\Temp (logical NTFS Vista install on Disk0)
    • I:\Temp (logical NTFS data on Disk0)
    • K:\Temp (logical NTFS data on Disk2)
    I can think of no obvious difference between, say, F: and K: that would explain why one refreshes and the other doesn't. Both:
    • are logical NTFS partitions taking up entire (basic) disk
    • are used only for data files
    • have compression disabled
    • have indexing enabled
    • are shared at the root
    I've seen the problem in many other ways on the desktop and on my E: and F: drives: e.g., when dragging files from the righthand file pane to a folder in the navigation pane the files remain visible in the file pane until I press F5.

Friday, November 06, 2009 9:17 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with folder refresh.  I'm finding that I only have this problem in libraries, and only when sorting by "Date Modified".  If I delete a file while sorting like this, it does not refresh and I have to manually push f5 to see a change.  If I click "Clear Changes" in the "Arrange By" dropdown it fixes the refresh issue, but also changes the folder to sorting by "Folder".  As soon as I change it back to "Date Modified", I start experiencing problems again.

This is majorly annoying,and I hope MS gets on this soon.  If anyone comes up with anything, please post.
    Friday, November 06, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with folder refresh.  I'm finding that I only have this problem in libraries, and only when sorting by "Date Modified".  If I delete a file while sorting like this, it does not refresh and I have to manually push f5 to see a change.  If I click "Clear Changes" in the "Arrange By" dropdown it fixes the refresh issue, but also changes the folder to sorting by "Folder".  As soon as I change it back to "Date Modified", I start experiencing problems again.

This is majorly annoying,and I hope MS gets on this soon.  If anyone comes up with anything, please post.

I'am also having the same problem with the automatic folder refresh. It is just as you described, if you order the files by date and delete a file, it will delete it but it will still show it on the list until you manually refresh. If you order the files by name, and then delete a file, it will delete it and refresh automatically.

I think this is a major bug in the code, and I hope MS can solve it soon.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:17 AM
  • I am adding to this thread that I am experiencing the same issues! I am surprised this bug went through beta to retail.

My Thread
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Based on my observations, this is related to all file operations which involves the Windows UI shell ...
    Right, on the surface, Explorer seems schizophrenically oblivious to its own actions sometimes, a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

To echo what others have reported, here's an updated summary of the symptoms I'm experiencing:
    • When moving files: A) moved files do not disappear, or B), moved files disappear but pop-ups then report "Could not find this item " for each file.
    • When deleting files: deleted files do not disappear.
    • When renaming files: renamed files continue to show former filenames.

As before, the problem occurs seemingly randomly; unlike JWit, I haven't identified specific problem folders.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I've been having the same problem, and it seems confirmed.  If a folder is included in a library, moving/deleting file(s) are not refreshed in the Explorer window.  If you remove a folder from a library, it works fine.

This is incredibly annoying, and a suprisingly obvious bug that has slipped through the cracks.  Does ANYBODY have an idea as to when Microsoft might release a fix?  Thanks.

UPDATE:  Check that - while moving/deleting files is corrected when a folder is removed from a library, creating a new folder still exhibits this problem.  If you create a new folder, you have to refresh before it shows up.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:36 PM
  • I've also noticed the Recycle bin sometimes being shown as having file in it. When I enter it, there's nothing there, but I can still "empty" it once.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 8:39 PM
  • It's November 11 and there's no fix for the same refreshing problems:
    - Created folder does not appear, until I pressed F5
    - Deleted file/folder does not disappear, until I pressed F5
    - File or folder shows its previous name after renamed, until I pressed F5
    - Recycle Bin appears full, after emptied

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit final release (clean install), AMD Athlon II 250, 785G, integrated ATI 4200 graphics.
    There is no any new item in Windows Update...

Any help, any idea?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:05 AM
  • Important refinement:
    - The above glitches actually are DELAYs. If You wait for approximately 20 secs, the created folder appears, deleted files disappear etc. In the opened window these glitches never appear again.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:04 PM
  • @Nucleo: do you really expect a patch to Windows Explorer less than 3 weeks after widespread release of Windows 7?

Have you ever worked on regressing bugs in an operating system? It's not like changing some PERL or jscript. The issue has to be understood and then a fix has to TESTED under a huge range of environments.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:01 PM
  • The above glitches actually are DELAYs. If You wait for approximately 20 secs, the created folder appears, deleted files disappear etc.
    Not the case for me. When moving files, for example, the file list refreshes instantly but incorrectly (only 10 files shown as moved). No change even after an hour.

Perhaps the delays are a separate issue? I see delays when working with large folders (not necessarily library folders), or when changing "Arrange by" to something other than "Folder". In these cases, I've assumed that the OS is simply busy.

• Edited by joeboxer Wednesday, November 11, 2009 7:59 PM update
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:33 PM
  • @Thin Ice:
     You're right of course, but
      1)  weird it was not discoverd before releaseing the product (not tested well enough?)
      2)  Microsoft expects me to activate the Windows7 installation within the next couple of days. Can they at least fix it before that?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I thought it worked, and it does. But after closing and starting a new explorer the same problem shows up.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:36 PM
    UPDATE:  Check that - while moving/deleting files is corrected when a folder is removed from a library, creating a new folder still exhibits this problem.  If you create a new folder, you have to refresh before it shows up.

I've tried that and I still cannot reproduce the bug based on that.

Maximilian Haru Raditya
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:31 PM
  • @Thin Ice:
     You're right of course, but
      1)  weird it was not discoverd before releaseing the product (not tested well enough?)
      2)  Microsoft expects me to activate the Windows7 installation within the next couple of days. Can they at least fix it before that?

Personally, I have never found a way to reproduce the bug intentionally. By intentionally, I mean I cannot find a step-by-step procedure to make the bug appear by intention. It just happened randomly.

If you could provide a reliable, step-by-step way to reproduce it, you can probably tell us here and/or report it to MS.

Maximilian Haru Raditya
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:54 PM
  • @Nucleo: do you really expect a patch to Windows Explorer less than 3 weeks after widespread release of Windows 7?

Have you ever worked on regressing bugs in an operating system? It's not like changing some PERL or jscript. The issue has to be understood and then a fix has to TESTED under a huge range of environments.
    I (or maybe We) just would like to know Microsoft got to know of this bug, and they are working on the solution. I am patient in this case of course (but this bug is terribly frustrating and I can't imagine how it slipped through the beta phase), but it would be nice if somebody from MS could post a message to this forum what about this bug.
    And of course I would like to keep this topic alive to be unambiguous it's not a marginal problem, thousands of users are living together with it day by day.
    Anyway I'm not an obsessive MS hating guy believe me. :-)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 8:26 PM
  • @Maximilian Haru Raditya:
    If you could provide a reliable, step-by-step way to reproduce it, you can probably tell us here and/or report it to MS.
    On my system it's reliably reproducible: Show Desktop; open Notepad; type "test"; File->Save to Desktop as test.txt; icon does not appear on Desktop (even after 2hr); click on Desktop, still no icon; press F5 and icon now appears.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Is it possible it is an AMD related problem? Or maybe it belongs to the graphic card driver?

Anyway in the Registry of XP was an entry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update] UpdateMode REG_DWORD 0x00000001
    It was liable for Automatic Window Refresh. (If You set value to 0 the refresh came faster.)

Is there a "hack" like this until the patch comes?

Did anybody use some kind of Registry Cleaner? I usually run CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare. I'm sorry I don't remember the problem came after or before I used them...
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:43 AM
  • On my system it's reliably reproducible: Show Desktop; open Notepad; type "test"; File->Save to Desktop as test.txt; icon does not appear on Desktop (even after 2hr); click on Desktop, still no icon; press F5 and icon now appears.

Perhaps, I wasn't clear enough with my previous explanation. IMHO, what you said is the bug itself, but not the way to reproduce it.

Figure out the following situation.

• 1st state: I start (boot-up) Windows and then log in into the Desktop. I create a folder in my Document folder (a simple folder operation) and it is shown automatically without pressing F5 (refresh) button. I repeat the process, let's say for 10 times, and the result is still the same: no bug encountered. This is the 1st state.
    • 2nd state: Somehow later, after I do several things, I repeat the folder creation process for 10 times again, as in the 1st state, then suddenly the bug occurs. This is the 2nd state.

What I mean by reproducing it intentionally is anything I do to bring the Windows Explorer from 1st state to 2nd state by intention. I'm not sure which folder creation step causing the bug to appear. Is it the 10th or 11th folder creation? Or is it because other several things I've done?

So far, I don't know nor I cannot define exactly what kind of several things I've done to make the state transition happened by intention. I repeat: by intention.

I hope this would be a bit clearer.

Maximilian Haru Raditya
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:57 AM

@JWit:
    On my system it's reliably reproducible: Show Desktop; open Notepad; type "test"; File->Save to Desktop as test.txt; icon does not appear on Desktop (even after 2hr); click on Desktop, still no icon; press F5 and icon now appears.

Perhaps, I wasn't clear enough with my previous explanation. IMHO, what you said is the bug itself, but not the way to reproduce it.

[...]

Well, my "reproducible" problem turns out to not to be... It had been reproducible for the last week, since I started following this thread. However, after restarting today (after installing a couple drivers and updating my BIOS) the "reproducible" problem is gone.

I originally thought my system had only 1 state. It's now clear it has 2, and I'm in State 1 waiting to see when I'll find myself in State 2...
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Is it possible it is an AMD related problem?
    I'm running Intel.
    Or maybe it belongs to the graphic card driver?
    Unlikely. If it were only a graphics glitch, you wouldn't be able to interact with ghost files, e.g., by right-clicking to (unsuccessfully) open, delete, or view file properties.
    I usually run CCleaner and Advanced SystemCare. I'm sorry I don't remember the problem came after or before I used them...
    I ran a controlled test, which I described earlier (on October 2). This bug occurred on the very first boot after a clean install on a formatted HDD. So it seems to be present right out of the box, using default Windows settings and no third-party software.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:58 PM
    (after installing a couple drivers and updating my BIOS) the "reproducible" problem is gone.
    Joeboxer have you tried update your BIOS?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:16 AM
  • If I'm right then how can you expect a fix "within the next couple of days". The full nature of the bug still hasn't been scoped!

Here's another bit of weirdness that seems to be associated with drag and drop within Explorer on Windows 7.

I drag Folder Artist, containing Folder Album with about 10 music files to another location on the same disk.
    This should *move* all the contents.

Frequently I usually get one of the following:
    1) The music files are moved, but the folders are only copied. i.e. I have the folders in two places, but the file contents are moved.
    2) Partial move occurs. I have folders in two places, but only some of the files moved. In the case I just noted, tracks 1, 6 and 8 were moved and the others were left behind, even though I was dragging from two folders up in the hierarchy. No error was reported. I had to repeat the operation (merging the folders) to get a proper move.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:20 AM
  • @Nucleo:
    @JWit (not @Maximilian Haru Raditya):
    (after installing a couple drivers and updating my BIOS) the "reproducible" problem is gone.
    Joeboxer have you tried update your BIOS?
    The "reproducible" problem was only gone for a few hours, and is back (and reproducible) again. Joeboxer sees this immediately on a fresh install, but on my system the problem only appears after a period of use. I don't think the driver and BIOS installs had any impact on it at all.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:08 AM
  • Guys,

Stop looking for a solution to this problem. It's a software BUG that happens quite randomly to me - nothing to do with hardware, and we shouldn't have to look for a solution to fix it. It's Microsoft's job to find the dodgy code and not ours - there are enough of us that are experiencing this problem, so Microsoft should also be experiencing it on their machines too. Microsoft - fix this goddamn bug now!!!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:29 PM
  • It's absolute unbelievable to me, how Microsoft did the same mistakes again and again. Almost all of the Windows versions (9x, XP, Vista sure) were concerned in this issue.
    My other distress is Linda marked as answered this thread before Joeboxer modified the opening comment. Do You think Linda or somebody from MS check back the answered threads?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Stop looking for a solution to this problem. It's a software BUG that happens quite randomly to me - nothing to do with hardware, and we shouldn't have to look for a solution to fix it. It's Microsoft's job to find the dodgy code and not ours

+1
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:05 PM
  • My other distress is Linda marked as answered this thread before Joeboxer modified the opening comment. Do You think Linda or somebody from MS check back the answered threads?

I think it would be a better way do not check this thread "as answered" but "in progress" or something like that, because nothing was answered exactly (I mean the problem is not solved).
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Nucleo wrote: "Almost all of the Windows versions (9x, XP, Vista sure) were concerned in this issue."

I think the word you were looking for is none.  

Distress? You're becoming shrill - decreasing the signal to noise ratio of this thread.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:41 AM
  • On another forum I read some posts about this problem. It seems not to have a lot to do with it, but the following worked for me!

Try sharing a drive (I chose D:\). Maybe sharing a directory will also work. My refresh problem was solved, even after disabling the share, reboot etc.

Hope this works for you too.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:31 PM
  • @HaylH :
    Try sharing a drive (I chose D:\). Maybe sharing a directory will also work. My refresh problem was solved, even after disabling the share, reboot etc.

Unfortunately this didn't fix it for me. Currently saving from Notepad to E:\Temp always requires F5/Refresh to show the saved file. Though I already have other shares on E: and on other drives, I shared E:\Temp but the refresh problem remained. I stopped sharing E:\Temp and the problem still remains.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Same annoying issue here. Mostly when creating new folder in libraries. If I work directly on units (C:\ ; D:\ etc..) everything works fine, but when I start working with libraries, the problem ramdomly occurs.

I'm sorry, I coud not figure out an step by step way to make the issue reproducible 100% times so far, but I'll be on alert

My configuration: Windows 7 Professional x64 on Intel processor (q9450), Asus P35 Mobo, Nvidia graphic card (275 gtx) and seagate/WDigital HDDs. Can't remember if problem started before first CCleaner run or after. I have not changed libraries icons but I have changed the default folder view.

Something curious is, I deleted some folders in my video library, then I added the same folders again, and worked fine for a while, but, next time (one or two days after) I had to make a change (create new folder exactly), voila, F5 became my best friend again in order to work with libraries.

Something else that could help is that libraries giving more problems are those which contains "user folders" in non default ubications. I mean, "my videos" ubication is "F:\My videos" instead of default "C:\users\user\my videos", because I prefer a dedicated HD for videos. When I work with "my videos" folder (and subfolders) throught the library problem is always there, or at least, most of the times

Ok, see you and I apologize for my english
    • Edited by Inolvidable Monday, November 16, 2009 10:28 PM Bad english
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:02 PM
  • I've thought maybe the issue belongs to sharing. I've turned off file sharing and network discovery and unshared the previously shared folders. The problem has gone ...for a day. "He" came back, and I have to press F5 again... and again... and again...
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:10 PM
  • I have the same issue. Explorer, or the shell (desktop) does not refresh after changes (create new, delete, rename, etc.). I am happy to see that I am not alone, but sad to see that it's not an issue that I can solve, and requires a patch release from Microsoft that can take ages.

FYI, Reset All folders did not fix the problem. If I log out and log back in, it works for a while.
    GT
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:20 PM
  • I'm using 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600 and installed it fresh, no upgrade. I have same issue.

Based on this discussion thread this is a very disappointing quality control issue. Hope MS is actually working on a fix. This can be a serious bug when deleting file and selecting other files. Make sure you refresh.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:23 AM
  • I was having the same problem on a newly installed and updated Windows 7, also on an SSD. This happened whenever I created a new folder or renamed or deleted a folder. The changes would not show until I pressed F5. Reset Folder Views fixed it.
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:59 AM
  • I am also having the same problem.  Mine also occurs when I try to delete or cut and paste files on the desktop.  Pressing F5 removes the icon.  Pushing the delete key a second time (having not refreshed the desktop) gives me an error message which says Windows cannot find the file.  It tells me to verify the file's location.

This issue developed several days after installing windows 7.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:43 PM
  • I´ve the same issue - i always have to press F5 :(

That´s unbelievable that Microsoft does nothing against this major BUG...
    Monday, November 23, 2009 12:36 PM
  • The following fixed it for me:

1. In Folder Options - View tab: clicking both Reset Folders and Restore Defaults and OK. (I also updated my Windows Experience Index and then changed some preferences in Advanced System Settings - Visual Effects, fwiw)
    2. Deleting everything in the %temp% folder. (I actually used CCleaner to wipe Windows Explorer & Internet Explorer tidbits as well.)
    3. Opening an Administrator command prompt and going to the directory C:\Users\username\AppData\Local
    4. Closing down Explorer by Ctrl-Shift-Right Clicking near the Shutdown menu of the Start Menu and selecting Exit Explorer
    5. In the command prompt from step 2, type the following commands: 
      attrib -h iconcache.db
      del iconcache.db
    6. Restart the computer. You can do that from the same command prompt by typing this:
      shutdown.exe /r /t 00
    I'm curious if the bug is related to having Explorer run windows in individual processes. Are people having this problem have that setting selected in Folder Options - View tab?

Update: could this be a problem with an out-of-date Windows Experience Index (Winsat)?
    • Proposed as answer by Seth D Monday, November 23, 2009 6:44 PM
    • Edited by Seth D Monday, November 23, 2009 8:18 PM new hypothesis for etiology of bug
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:44 PM
  • for me that option is greyed out.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:39 PM
  • My problem is the same with yours,I think it accurs randomly.In most cases I can slove this issue by restart my computer but sometimes it doesn't work.I've looked up the solution in many Chinese forums unfortunately no one can  fix it so far,so I really want someone can deal with this "bug".

Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Hi Linda,

It seems this is a known issue or probably a bug since early beta versions, so any chance to provide a fix or workaround before the next SP release? Thanks for your answers.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Hi Linda,

It seems this is a known issue or probably a bug since early beta versions, so any chance to provide a fix or workaround before the next SP release? Thanks for your answers.

Hi Linda and others

Same problem here, I'm running Win7 Enterprise on two very different computers, but the issue is the same.

Please let us have a fix!

Thanks

Carsten
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:13 PM
  • I'll try one more thing. Because it seems the issue does not occur in Safe Mode without networking (in my case), I'm going to update the driver of the network card.
    I don't believe in success, but never knows... I'll post the result.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 1:30 AM
  • The LAN driver update did not help. But it's interesting if I disable the network adapter in Device Manager the issue does not occur.
    Have You got any idea?
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Guys, again, why are you wasting your time trying to find solutions with hardware drivers etc.? This is a highly prolific software bug, and the only way that it is going to be solved is for Microsoft to fix it.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 3:45 PM
  • I absolutely agree with You broccauley, it's Microsoft's job. I just wanna narrow down the possibilities of the issue. If any kind of service causes the issue what I can ignore (for example file sharing), I will ignore it - and maybe my perceptions help for others.
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Just wanted to comment that deleting the iconcache.db worked for me.

Thanks!
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Not for me :(
    Friday, December 04, 2009 11:05 AM
  • Thank you Jeff!!
    I was loosing my mind with this F5 refresh, I Googled (sorry binged) for an answer and this finally solved the problem at home and also for some people at work.
    Jan
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Finally I've reinstalled the whole system (clean install Win7 + all of the other softwares).
    I DO NOT USE FILE SHARING and all of the options correlate with it are turned off (I left network type Public as default during install, file sharing and network discovery turned off, don't share any folder of course).
    The issue did not occur yet. I'm testing now, later I'll post a long-term result.
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 11:33 PM
  • This problem started happening after about 20 days of the installation. I had turned on file sharing and everything, still the problem was not there initially.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 12:34 AM
  • What I don't get, is that this problem has been on Win 7 since the betas and MS has not seen fit to fix it yet.  It makes the 'user experience' downright awful.  I was close to upgrading a 3rd PC to win 7; now I'm putting that off indefinitely.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 7:43 AM
    I have this same problem with a week-old clean install of Win7 Pro x64 RTM. The problem is reproducible but not universal, when testing by saving a few characters from Notepad:

I always have to refresh (via F5) when saving to:
    • my desktop (on C:, logical NTFS on Disk0)
    • E:\Temp (logical NTFS data partition on Disk0)
    • F:\Temp (logical NTFS data partition on Disk1)
    • P:\Temp (NTFS in a TrueCrypt container)
    I never have to refresh when saving to:
    • C:\Temp (again, logical NTFS on Disk0)
    • D:\Temp (small primary FAT32 on Disk0)
    • G:\Temp (logical NTFS XP install on Disk0)
    • L:\Temp (logical NTFS Vista install on Disk0)
    • I:\Temp (logical NTFS data on Disk0)
    • K:\Temp (logical NTFS data on Disk2)
    I can think of no obvious difference between, say, F: and K: that would explain why one refreshes and the other doesn't. Both:
    • are logical NTFS partitions taking up entire (basic) disk
    • are used only for data files
    • have compression disabled
    • have indexing enabled
    • are shared at the root
    I've seen the problem in many other ways on the desktop and on my E: and F: drives: e.g., when dragging files from the righthand file pane to a folder in the navigation pane the files remain visible in the file pane until I press F5.

I noticed the same problem with my desktop on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
    When I rename a desktop shortcut icon, it disappears off my desktop. I have to F5 manually refresh to get it back (but not in the right place).

One thing I did discover was that the only desktop shortcut icons affected are those that are also on the public desktop. 

I have trawled the forums and tried every solution I could find and none worked.

I have even re-configured my system with an extra hard disk and a clean install of Win 7 Ultimate x64 and the problem was back immediately. 

I hope that MS can produce a solution to this, as like the rest of you, this annoyance is slowly driving me nuts.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:08 AM
  • I tried to "reset folders"  and this worked for a while, unfortunately the problem came back.
    I have noticed that when I use libraries/eplorer I have this behavior (pressing F5 to refresh) when I access the same directory by using my computer, the refresh works. I delete a file and the file goes away without pressing F5.

Anyway I don't use libraries/eplorer any more until this is fixed. I made a short cut from My Documents to the desktop and now I am fine. Things work like it did in XP.

I like windows 7 a lot (compared to Vista) but I still like XP for its robustness.

Using Windows 7 Enterprise

JH

Sunday, December 06, 2009 11:53 AM
  • The issue occurs again after the clean, 2 days old installation. File Sharing turned off. I've got no ideas. I have to return to my previous perceptions. If I disable the network adapter, the issue does not occur. Could You tell me all of You, what kind of network adapter have you got?
    Monday, December 07, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Perhaps this has also something to do with it:
    when I first start W7 I have no internet connection

-> I´ve to disable and enable the network card -> then it´s working fine...

Also a very ugly bug which I haven´t at my other W7 computer.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 10:08 AM
  • I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and I had the same issue.  I would not see folders refresh until I closed/opened the affected window.  This occurred when adding new folders, moving files, and even adding links to the Favorites Bar.  I found a fix that has solved my problems so far.  From an explorer window click Organize - Folder and Search Options - View - Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".  Show the desktop and find any Desktop.ini files and delete those.  Restart your computer and the issue should be fixed.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:33 PM
  • I am running Windows 7 Home Premium and I had the same issue.  I would not see folders refresh until I closed/opened the affected window.  This occurred when adding new folders, moving files, and even adding links to the Favorites Bar.  I found a fix that has solved my problems so far.  From an explorer window click Organize - Folder and Search Options - View - Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".  Show the desktop and find any Desktop.ini files and delete those.  Restart your computer and the issue should be fixed.
    I've tried it. Sorry, it did not help for me.
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 7:10 PM
  • I've narrowed down more the possible causes of the issue:
    If You disable the Client for Microsoft Networks in properties of Local Area Connection - the issue disappear (maybe only in my case).
    • Proposed as answer by clemdia Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:34 PM
    Tuesday, December 08, 2009 8:01 PM
  • I've had this problem (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit), but just noticed something. It only seems to happen with one specific folder (and subfolders).

I can open up (e.g.) my Desktop or Downloads folder from the Libraries button on the startbar, and then rightclick in the main window and create a New Folder, and that instantly shows up there. I have also added another folder (let's refer to it as "Folder1", it's on the D: partition on the same physical drive) to the Favourites list (I dragged and dropped it there), and I can do the same there - I left-click it on the Favourites list, then rightclick in the main window, go to New and select Folder and the new folder shows up instantly.

However, for a second folder (let's refer to it as "Folder2") that I added to the Favourites list, any file changes that I make just never update automatically at all (it's not as if there is a 20 second (or longer) delay, the changes just never appear until I hit F5 to refresh). Ditto for any subfolders within that folder.

The interesting thing is that if I actually go directly to the location of Folder2 (from My Computer, instead of via the Favourites list) I can change the files in the explorer window there and the changes will instantly show up. The only time I have to hit F5 to see the changes when I try to access Folder2 through the Favourites list.

What seemed to fix the problem is to just delete the link to Folder2 in Favourites and recreate it again there. Now that I have a new Folder2 shortcut there, I can use it and when I do I can change the files and the changes show up straight away.

Not sure if that can shed any light on the problem, but hopefully it might for someone?
    Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:57 AM
  • My W7 Ent 64-bit symptoms were similar to yours, doktorG. I had this problem consistently and solely when I navigated starting from the left-pane Favorites area of Explorer. I single-clicked on one of my Favorites and then double-clicked repeatedly in the right pane to open the folder of interest. When I right-clicked to create a new text file, the file appeared in the folder only if I pressed F5. I can navigate to the same folder starting from any of the other left-pane options (Marc Rouleau, Computer, Network), and Explorer refreshes the right pane normally when I create the new text file.

I just recreated my Favorites as you suggested, and the problem has disappeared for the moment.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 4:39 PM
  • The only time I have to hit F5 to see the changes when I try to access Folder2 through the Favourites list.
    Thanks doktorG and Marc. Very helpful.

I've tested only briefly, but so far, your observation about Favorites also seems to apply to Libraries. Using the steps to reproduce given in my Oct. 1 post, I observed that:
    • When navigating to a folder using the folder tree in the "Computer" section of the left-hand pane in Windows Explorer, the refresh problem didn't occur.
    • However, when navigating to the same folder using the "Libraries" section of the left-hand pane in Explorer, the problem occurred.
    • When navigating to a library folder from a Favorites shortcut created from the complete path (C:\Users\joeboxer\Documents\test1), the problem didn't occur.
    • However, when navigating to the same library folder from a Favorites shortcut created from the library path (Libraries > Documents > test1), the problem occurred.

This is the first time I've been able to avoid the refresh problem triggered by my steps to reproduce. It seems that the other solutions offered in this thread, which did work for some people, are for similar symptoms but different problems.

If anyone has the same problem that I have, here are my suggestions:
    1. For problematic favorites, try recreating them as doktorG suggested. Use the full folder path, not the library-related path.
    2. If the problem still occurs, avoid using the "Favorites" or "Libraries" sections in the left-hand Explorer pane. Instead, drill down to folders using the folder tree under "Computer". Cursing is optional.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 11:58 AM
  • I had this issue and it was easily blamed on something >>I<< had installed which installed the winpcap driver (which worked fine with the installed application but caused the issue IMO). It seems some 3rd party applications or drivers (flvrecorder in my case, bundled with the winpcap driver) are guilty of causing the issue. I was able to fix the problem by removing the application and driver from programs and features but the problem still manifested until I had rebooted TWICE (I cant explain this!). After those two reboots the problem was gone and everything was back to normal.

I know and understand that this may not be the case with everyone but it certainly was in mine (it was the only new software installed that day). I hope this can help in reducing this issue :)

Paul.
    • Edited by Paul0544 Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:12 PM missed a comma!
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 10:12 PM
  • I had this issue and it was easily blamed on something >>I<< had installed which installed the winpcap driver (which worked fine with the installed application but caused the issue IMO). It seems some 3rd party applications or drivers (flvrecorder in my case, bundled with the winpcap driver) are guilty of causing the issue. I was able to fix the problem by removing the application and driver from programs and features but the problem still manifested until I had rebooted TWICE (I cant explain this!). After those two reboots the problem was gone and everything was back to normal.

I know and understand that this may not be the case with everyone but it certainly was in mine (it was the only new software installed that day). I hope this can help in reducing this issue :)

Paul.

I agree with you Paul.  I have had Windows 7 Ultimate installed for about 3 weeks without this refresh issue until 2 nights ago.  I have tried re-tracing my steps because I installed quite a few programs the other day and so far I have not figured out which one caused this.  Yes there is a bug in the OS, but I think a 3rd party program could be the culprit on some machines.  I believe the Libraries are buggy as they relate to indexing.  Not only did I install a 3rd party program which could have caused this to start happening, I do have a WHS with the videos folder and music folder setup in my library as shares respectively.  I had to re-install my WHS and since then, tada! Broken refresh.  I don't think we are going to be able to pin this down because there are so many ways to break the system.  I think there are many culprits to this issue and until MS works out the SP solution, we might as well abandon the Libraries and use direct paths as suggested by joeboxer.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:06 AM

•   I believe the Libraries are buggy as they relate to indexing.  Not only did I install a 3rd party program which could have caused this to start happening, I do have a WHS with the videos folder and music folder setup in my library as shares respectively.  I had to re-install my WHS and since then, tada! Broken refresh.  I don't think we are going to be able to pin this down because there are so many ways to break the system.  I think there are many culprits to this issue and until MS works out the SP solution, we might as well abandon the Libraries and use direct paths as suggested by joeboxer.
    The libraries are buggy as all ____. There are definitely indexing problems, but equally design issues relating to mixed media in folders and network sharing of libraries.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:02 AM
  • Well, I tried what everyone said try and everything worked for about 3 hours.  Then it broke again.  I re-indexed my pc and everything worked for 5 hours, then broke again.  There are so many places this happening it is hard to pin down.  I also tried using the root path to browse and work with, but now it is happening there as well.  This honestly has to be one of the most aggravating bugs I have experienced in a long time.  It takes away the simplicity of the OS.  I mean I have to refresh anything I am to see any adds, moves or changes!?!? Come on MS, get this fixed because this really does kill the great experience of Windows 7 and its ease of use.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Well, I tried what everyone said try and everything worked for about 3 hours.  Then it broke again.  I re-indexed my pc and everything worked for 5 hours, then broke again.  There are so many places this happening it is hard to pin down.  I also tried using the root path to browse and work with, but now it is happening there as well.  This honestly has to be one of the most aggravating bugs I have experienced in a long time.  It takes away the simplicity of the OS.  I mean I have to refresh anything I am to see any adds, moves or changes!?!? Come on MS, get this fixed because this really does kill the great experience of Windows 7 and its ease of use.

I absolutely agree. I never thought something like this could happen. It destroys the experience of Windows 7.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Ok. This is one funny bug.  So everyone is pretty agreeable that the problem is from Libraries.  I even thought so and agreed too! What bothers me is that everything was working fine for weeks then BOOM! I really did not change anything! The one thing I noticed was that I loaded some windows and office 2007 updates on the same day and time that the problem started.  I removed all the updates but 2 because I can not remove the last 2 updates.  Problem still there.  So, I turned on file sharing again and rebuilt my libraries with the SAME connections...everything is working great......Explain that one! Now if I use my libraries to browse my files, everything is fine which is the opposite of using the direct user path!  If I dive into the C:\ Drive, problem comes back.  I can reboot and everything is normal again.  I know we are not going to be able to fix this but man, what a whiff by MS.  I am about to uninstall Office 2007 to get rid of the updates to see if that is the problem.  Ah well, GL to all!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 3:17 AM
  • The problem is now gone.  From what I figured out, I never had the issue with refresh thing UNTIL I reformatted my WHS server.  Well in my libraries, I had the WHS shares setup in there.  Come to find out, it seems as if the shares was causing the issue because they did not exist when the WHS server is down, therefore caused the refresh issue with the library and indexing.  So, here are the steps I did:
    1. Delete everything from WMP and WMC libraries
    2. Delete everything from all libraries
    3. Removed myself from my homegroup
    4. Turned off all network sharing, streaming and discovery
    5. Remove ALL UNC mapped drives and UNC paths
    6. Reset folder views to default
    7. Deleted iconcache.db
    8. Full shutdown to flush memory
    9. Rebuilt Index and left computer alone. Let it rebuild clean without you breaking it.  I let it sit for 2 hours!
    10. Once done, changed folder views to what I wanted to see
    11. Full Shutdown to flush memory
    12. Turn on sharing and network discovery
    13. Rebuilt Homegroup
    14. Rebuilt Libraries
    15. Rebuilt WMP and WMC libraries
    16. Let PC sit for about 30 minutes for Indexing to Index the changes I made.
    17. Did 1 final full shutdown.
    18. Brought back online and working great!

It seems that WMC and WMP was using my libraries as their database as well! I also removed all media from both before I deleted anything.  I think this is why everyone is having issues with libraries and network shares.  WMC and WMP have the bad paths cached and I bet they are refreshing the system which causes the manual refresh.  Once it updates the system, the so called "good" iconcache.db and folder options are changed to their bad path information in the libraries.  At least, that is my guess.

When you do remove a bad location, you will probably get this message:

Windows removed the locations from your library, but couldn't stop sharing one or more locations.

More Information:
                  Lists the UNC path that I was sharing and that was in my library to the old share!!!

Again, I got this message because I was sharing and streaming from my libraries which had a UNC path to my WHS server which went down and I rebuilt.  Eventhough the server was rebuilt and back online with the SAME EXACT FOLDER NAME AND STRUCTURE, IT DID NOT MATTER!  Once you get this message, it should delete the old pointer that was associated with the shared library path.   

I have tried to break it and can't yet!  Again, it seems that since I was sharing from my libraries that had my old network shares and the fact that I did not remove them BEFORE I took down the server and stopped sharing them is what caused my issue.  Once I basically started from scratch and removed everything, things are working great.  Now, the first few times I was in my library it was slow going. I did have to refresh twice but I was moving 8Gig files.  After I was working in the folder for a few minutes, I do not have to refresh anything, even if I reboot and immediately made an add, move or change in the library.  I hope this helps everyone and would hope someone would give it a shot.  The libraries are extremely finicky with network shares, sharing and their state.  If you moved over network shares from a previous install, I would recommend removing all shares 1st, then turning off all network sharing and discovery. 

Good Luck!

Kevin
    • Edited by Kevin-II Monday, December 14, 2009 10:01 AM
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:35 AM
  • ?? I really don´t understand the above issue....

KANN DAS VIELLEICHT WER AUF DEUTSCH SCHREIBEN?
    Monday, December 14, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Sorry about that. I retyped it.  After I read what I originally typed, I could not make heads or tails either!
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:01 AM
  • I've narrowed down more the possible causes of the issue:
    If You disable the Client for Microsoft Networks in properties of Local Area Connection - the issue disappear (maybe only in my case).

I don't know what the actual cause is but Nucleo has a possible workaround here. If you disable "Client for Microsoft Networks"on all of your network adaptors the problem instantly disappears. If you re-enable "Client for Microsoft Networks"the problem instantly re-appears.
    • Edited by clemdia Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:55 PM replaced words "a solution" per JWit
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:33 PM
  • I don't know what the actual cause is but Nucleo has the solution here. If you disable "Client for Microsoft Networks"on all of your network adaptors the problem instantly disappears. If you re-enable "Client for Microsoft Networks"the problem instantly re-appears.
    Even if Nucleo is correct, disabling the MS network client can't be considered a "solution" to this problem.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:16 AM
  • I don't know what the actual cause is but Nucleo has the solution here. If you disable "Client for Microsoft Networks"on all of your network adaptors the problem instantly disappears. If you re-enable "Client for Microsoft Networks"the problem instantly re-appears.
    Even if Nucleo is correct, disabling the MS network client can't be considered a "solution" to this problem.
    Yes, I stand corrected. It's a workaround if you don't need MS network client. OTOH, if you need MS network client, it's just further evidence that there is still a patch needed from MS...

On a side note, why do so many questions in these forums get tagged as "answered" when the only answers are troubleshooting steps that neither correct nor definitively identify root cause? Very frustrating...
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Hey Guys,

I hope this helps, after spending days searching the net and forums I found a solution that worked!!! 

I turned off network sharing and all is fixed (for me anyway)

Go to control panel, network and internet, network and sharing, advanced sharing settings, and I turned off ALL sharing buttons, saved my changes, then did a restart.  Immediately my laptop restarted and fixed my bug.  It fixed the explorer refreshing problem and even sped my computer up.  I know that it's probably not the correct fix but at least it works until MS can come up with something concrete. 

Good Luck
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:35 AM
  • I found this stream in another forum that supports File Share's as the souce of the bug:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/w7files/thread/d2be04cb-7e8c-4e84-9890-7e29ee103e8d
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 7:17 AM
  • I cannot accept disabling the Client for Microsoft Networks as a workaround or solution, since I heavily use remote desktop and filesharing within my networks.

Microsoft better come up with an answer or fix fast for this. It's getting really annoying.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:21 AM
  • Is there any way it could have something to do with this? : Registry Data Items Infected: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. NoActiveDesktopChanges? That seems like a strange co-incidence!? I have not had time to check the outcome of messing around with this setting, its late and I am tired. Could be something though? Paul.
    Monday, December 28, 2009 11:51 PM
  • thank you very much for your time in reporting this to us.
    Who marks this reply as the "Answer"? The MSFT Moderators themselves? This is not an answer to the problem as stated...

Incidentally, I've disabled *all* sharing but unfortunately the only way I can eliminate the problem on my machine is to disable "Client for Microsoft Networks" which is not really a workaround as I need to access fileshares periodically.

Is there really no meaningful response from MSFT on this issue? "Thank you very much" for telling us it doesn't work right doesn't help any of us solve the problem.

Friday, January 01, 2010 10:10 AM
  • That key is for Web content for an Active Desktop.  By default in Vista or 32bit systems it was set to 0 but now set to 1 for 64 bit and Windows 7.  Don't worry about it.  The problem is not just with file sharing.  I was not sharing ANY content on my network but the issue happened with me.  I have a WHS server that hosts my music and movies and I was using my Libraries to point to the server.  I also had WMP and WMC pointing to the server for content.  My server went down and the paths were no longer active.  Even after bringing the server back online with the same exact shares and files in the shares, the problem still existed.  Once I did the steps above, I have not had the issue happen once.  It seems that the system stores the paths with unique identifiers and since they changed when I rebuilt the server, the old paths were corrupt and it took the OS a while to realize that they didn't exist.  When the problem happened, I could wait anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on how much content was in the folder I was viewing, and it would do a good refresh.  But each time I would close the windows and re-open it, I would have to wait again.  Ever since I have completely deleted all UNC paths from WMP, WMC, Libraries, any associated network path, then re-built my index, I have not had the problem again.  The one thing that I have noticed is that if I am browsing through a folder share from my server, it can take 10-15 seconds for a change to populate.  It could be that I am in a folder that has 2TB of movies and that is a lot of information to refresh.  But if I keep the window open for 10-15 seconds, any change after that time is immediate. 

The one step I did not add before was the fact that I was running BitLocker on boot for my primary partition.  I had to completely disable BitLocker BEFORE I deleted all associated network paths.  I tried all of my steps above and it didn't work at first, so I thought what else could be the culprit?  Well, I turned BitLocker on AFTER I had the refresh problem.  So, I turned it off and decrypted my drive, then followed all of my steps.  Tada, the OS refreshes on its own again!  I even re-enabled BitLocker and all is good.  Give it a shot, it just takes time and it will take less time than doing a full reformat.  I really hope it works for you as it did for me!  MS needs to forget about the SP1 wait and send out this update ASAP.  This is a huge problem especially since so many people are starting to actually share content.     
    Friday, January 01, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Well it is a PITA! or as we sometimes say an AFGO (another f..... growth opportunity). How could this be the next generation of computing when the problem has  been going on so long and the amount of time and false efforts are staggering - MS - fix it with a upgrade patch immediately! The stresses of the upgrade from XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro are high enough (a big martini helps but is not sufficient). Thanks to everyone who has spent the hours and hours trying to suggest a fix.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Well, I'll join the crowd of dis-gruntled Windows 7 64 bit users and on my new Qosmio Laptop, which I now have to re-boot every couple of hours because I loose visibilty of changes. I am using this laptop for Video editin, Photoshop and Coreldraw work, and you just can't work on the machine successfully without rebooting. My problem seems to be related to some weird cache issue as I can work for a few hours and then all of a sudden the problems raises it's ugly head. HEY, MS, WAKE UP Please and get something done about this. I am also hindered by the fact that Toshiba are just as appathetic about the iPhone that no longer syncs on their system issue.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Some exact bug here - after all the heralding of Windows 7 Libraries being the next big advancement in network accessibility - this bug is a real own-goal. And to suggest that removing networking as the solution is crazy!

Anyone nearer to any fix? 

I may have one - Google Chrome OS should be out soon...
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:41 PM
  • @all: I'd be surprised if Microsoft even uses their own OS products other than in a limited testing/research setting. Bugs like these have been common in every single OS release Microsoft has made, and many have never been fixed. The bugs that do get fixed take months or years to result in a hotfix or patch.
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I had this problem to, exactly the same as you guys described it, and i fixed it :D
    without any registry tweaks or stuff like that.

just go to the folder thats infected with the bugs
    right klick on an empty space
    Sort by
    Name

and voila, problem solved :O
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Running Window$ 7 64bit here. And let me say that I have gotten some 140 updates so far that have nothing to do with any of the in your face bugs that people have reported over a year ago LOL. Just going to have to face it. They pushed window$ 7 out the door regardless of the many many bugs. Just in time for christma$$$$$. Its really mind blowing that sooooo many small little bugs was allowed threw. But that one word I keep hearing over and over in my head from the creators of window$ 7 dead line dead line dead line dead line.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Well,
     I have the update or refreshing of the window when moving or deleting bug as well. Saw the same thing on a vista machine. But, one thing I just noted now. Since I still do things the old way. such as having
    a link to C:\Users\myprofile\Documents\ which does not seem to have the refresh bug.
    Then the same folder opened via the Documents link in the menu which is Libraries\Documents .
    Which I think might point to something. In that the whole sharing of folders on a network and calling for a refresh of the contents? As detailed in post way before this one where removing part of the networking fixed the bug or did something.
     Oh well just a though on this problem.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 12:49 AM
  • My windows 7 file folders and desktop won't refresh.  In addition, some applications won't launch.
    Symptoms:

I right click to create a new folder in explorer.  It does not show until I hit F5.  I delete the folder.  It does not vanish until I hit F5.  The same this happens when copying files.  They don’t show until I refresh.  Same thing with move, the files don’t show in new folder until I F5 and don’t vanish from the old until I, you guessed it, hit F5.

In addition to my explorer window, this issue also occurs on the desktop.  Icons don’t appear/disappear as they should until I hit F5.

I have searched on this issue and tried all of these things:

Disabled all non-MS services.
    Disable the search service.
    Disabled the MS client for networks.
    Disable my network card.
    Updated my network driver.
    (All the network stuff because I found a user with the same type of issue who could make it go away by disabling their network).

Booted in SAFE mode.

None of these fixed the issues.  The refresh and some programs not starting.  BTW, MS programs start fine.

I have repaired my OS via the disk.  The problem went away for a day and then returned.

I have mirrored drives for my boot drive.  I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64.  I also have Windows Ultimate 32 installed on a VHD.  THIS ISSUE OCCURS ON BOTH the 32 and 64 bit VERSIONS OF WINDOWS on my machine.

8GB RAM RAID1 160GB C: drive, RAID0 4TB D: drive, USB external E: drive and the refresh issues happens on all of them.

This issue cropped up after windows had been running for more than a month.

The issue went away for a couple of days, but is now back for no reason I can see.  In fact my machine was working last night, and this morning was still on and did not work.

I can live with having to F5 to refresh, but I also now have the issue where some programs won't start!  VMWARE’s VM Workstation and iTunes both do not launch.  They show in Task manager as processes but not as applications.  I cannot ALT+TAB to them.  Eventually VM shows up (like 45 minutes after I start it).  ITunes never does.

If no fix is found I will have tio go back to XP, which is a shame as I liked W7 until this happend.

Friday, January 15, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Greetings,

I am running a clean install of W7 done by the vendor of my new computer. Leaving the file names behind when moving from a folder to a library folder in the navagation pane is the issue. I am sure there are more issues out there as well as this type feature is found in many places. It is another example of Microsoft changing something that was working well for years.

I really enjoy W7 except for libraries. I would like to eliminate them and have a My Documents Folder or a fixed folder in place of the Libraries.

Any one know how to do this?
    Friday, January 15, 2010 9:46 PM

• I really enjoy W7 except for libraries. I would like to eliminate them and have a My Documents Folder or a fixed folder in place of the Libraries.

You still have a My Documents folder, My Pictures, My Music etc. They have not gone away with the addition of libraries. By default your libraries for these doc types still point to those old folders.

You can't turn off the libraries but you can add the My Documents etc to your folder favourites and/or remove the ancillary folders from each of your libraries (such as Public Docs, Public Music etc).
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Win7 x86. And here I thought it was just me. Guess not.

My variation, like some above, is restricted to the Desktop. New items will show there automatically after reboot, but some hours to a day later, new things downloaded there will not show until I manually refresh.

(Don't even get me started on how they'll sometimes move out of their default sort-by-date order.)

I wish there was a way to restore the freshly-booted Desktop behavior without actually rebooting, but I haven't seen that mentioned yet.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:40 AM
    I wish there was a way to restore the freshly-booted Desktop behavior without actually rebooting, but I haven't seen that mentioned yet.
    As a workaround, other than rebooting, you can actually log off and then log in again. It saves a lot of time compared to rebooting. This works for me.

Maximilian Haru Raditya
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Hi. After reading through the whole thread, im really confused. So does anybody have a solution to the problem? Thanks!
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:26 PM
  • Hi, First off pardon me as this is my first post.  Secondly I have found a solution that may be helpful to some people.   If you don't wanna listen to my story just skip this part.  I originally encountered this problem when sorting pictures.  I would open the pictures library through the startbar, browse to a folder and delete a picture.  The picture would remain until I hit F5.  I tried all the above solutions however I was unsuccessful.

Solution:   Open up libraries and right click the library you're having issues (for me it was pictures) Go to properties and you'll see the locations the library searches to find all the files included in it.  You're going to then remove all the folders included in that library, then hit apply, open the library you just modified to refresh it, close the library then go back into properties.  Now include all the folders you deleted earlier.  Hit apply, and try to see if it fixed the issue.

I'm not sure if this is a system wide fix, or just a specific fix for pictures/music/documents libraries.  My issue was only with the pictures library but hopefully someone will be able to fix their issue with it.  Best of luck and hopefully Win7 wont bite any more ~Sam
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:27 AM
  • The issue seems to happen when you sort by date created. When I select sort by name, everything is OK. I'm using Win 7 ULT and have recenlty noticed this problem when opening up a sub-folder under My Music which is part of my music library. This is bug but Microsoft only offers a fix for Win XP.
    Music Is The Universal Language
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:36 PM
  • My issues with this started when I created a playlist in Win Media player. I know it is interconnected with libraries/ play lists. Whenever I open Media player now it takes it 5 mins to open and it opens playing my playlist. I know I need to learn how to operate media player but it is something I rarely do. I did open a window that asked where you wanted windows media player to look for files and alot of nebulus directories or web sites were listed. I think I should have deleted all but the folder I wanted but I was not sure if delete meant delete or just remove from this list? Now I can't find that option again. BUT it did predicate this issu on my machine. I still have the issue and would like a fix. This is very annoying to have to hit refresh after each file move or rename etc.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Hi all,
    I've read this thread to the end and I've tried all the solutions posted... obviously to no avail.
    The bug repeats itself, not randomly but constantly, in any situation, folders, libraries - sorted by name or by whatever.
    I then tried something different, which instead WORKED , and here it is.

1) I backed up the registry.
    2) Searched for occurrences of the word refresh and found this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
    which contains three subkeys. One of them, curiously enough, is DontRefresh and it has a value of 1 (turned ON)
    3) I then changed the value to 0 (turned OFF) and hit F5 to refresh and save the now changed registry.

Guess what? Now, everything (moving, deleting, copying) works and even the Trash Bin refreshes immediately.
    I will keep you posted in the next few days to tell you whether the fix still works.

Good luck.

PS: I forgot to say that I have 3 machines and they respectively run Win7 Ult, Win7 Pro and Win7 Home Premium. Of course all of them showed this bug.

8 days and several reboots since the fix and everything is still working fine on all three machines.
    • Proposed as answer by - Deckard - Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:21 PM
    • Edited by - Deckard - Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:17 AM
    Friday, January 22, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Hi all,
    I've read this thread to the end and I've tried all the solutions posted... obviously to no avail.
    The bug repeats itself, not randomly but constantly, in any situation, folders, libraries - sorted by name or by whatever.

1) I backed up the register.
    2) Searched for occurrences of the word refresh and found this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
    which contains three subkeys. One of them, curiously enough, is DontRefresh and it has a value of 1 (turned ON)
    3) I then changed the value to 0 (turned OFF) and hit F5 to refresh and save the now changed register.

Guess what? Now, everything (moving, deleting, copying) works and even the Trash Bin refreshes immediately.
    I will keep you posted in the next few days to tell you whether the fix still works.

Good luck.

PS: I forgot to say that I have 3 machines and they respectively run Win7 Ult, Win7 Pro and Win7 Home Premium. Of course all of them showed this bug.
    Wow!!! Really interesting. I haven't got the issue now, but if it appears again, I will try this fix. Thank you for your solution
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:52 AM
  • I have been having the no-refresh problem since day one as well.  (I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, upgraded from Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.)  It happens on deletes, renames, moves.  Doesn't matter if it's folders, libraries, sorted by any particular field, etc.  It's especially disturbing when you rename the file in place, so the new file name is right there in plain view, then hit ENTER and the filename immediately reverts back to the old filename.  Doing a manual refresh brings the new filename back into view.

Your post about the registry entry prompted me to look in my registry.  I found the DontRefresh == 1 entry in three places:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance

The first one is not quite the same registry path as yours, but after backing up the registry and crossing my fingers, I tried changing the first entry's value to 0.  After committing the change to that one entry, the refreshing started working perfectly.  The change was propagated to the other two locations automatically. 

So, you have another recruit/believer who will try this out and report results.

Thanks for posting the registry info.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I'm glad you benefited from my discovery kengr :-)
    I believe your entry is different simply because you are running on 64-bit, while I'm running on 32-bit...
    In fact, I do not have the "Wow6432Node" section (or at least it doesn't show up when you look for "Refresh")

Hopefully even more people will fix their problem since we have a solution for both the 64 and 32 bit version.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:55 PM
  • I'm going to give this a shot too and see how it goes.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:56 AM
  • I can confirm that changing DontRefresh to 0 worked for me, on a 64-bit version (but only after a reboot). Thanks for the suggestion!

Question now is, are there any side-effects...?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:49 AM
  • 1) I backed up the registry.
    3) I then changed the value to 0 (turned OFF) and hit F5 to refresh and save the now changed registry.

Now, everything (moving, deleting, copying) works and even the Trash Bin refreshes immediately.

Two days and several reboots since the fix and everything is still working fine on all three machines.

And no side-effects so far, hogne_f.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Win7 x86:

DontRefresh doesn't exist anywhere in my Registry, so there was nothing to change.

I don't have the severe version of the problem anyway, which it seems the people who've used this have, just the one where the icons on the Desktop occasionally stop refreshing. It's never happened anywhere else.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:09 PM
  • If you expand and look at the hierarchy 1 layer deeper than the DontRefresh key under "InitPropertyBag" there is a key called "URL" with a value C:\PROGRA~1\MIF5BA~1\Office12\INTLBAND.HTM . Is the original poster (and others) *sure* that this registry change really fixes the problem? To me this part of the registry looks like it has something to do with Office 2007!!
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Hi all,
    i'm experiencing this problem too. Windows 7 Professional 32bit. My registry has no "dontrefresh" entries at all, and i found this problem only when browsing subfolders of the Documents library and if files are sorted by last modified . Maybe it would happen also within other libraries, but i use only documents.
    Steps to reproduce:
    Start Menu
    Documents
    Enter a subfolder of the documents library (on the documents "root" folder it doesn's seem to happen)
    Create a new text document
    Right mouse button -> delete (don't know if this is the correct english translation, anyway, delete it :) )
    The icon is still there even if the file no longer exists.

If files are sorted by name , it doesn't happen... ..........

I think it's a very annoying issue that should be resolved as soon as possible.
    Really.

Regards,
    Francesco
    Monday, January 25, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

i am having the same problem with my music files, when i delete them the remain on my media player. i have been reading the thread and wished for some help from (Deckard) i wanted to try your sugguestion, but i do not have any experience with computer.  i just turn them on and use them.  (please bear with me) what do you mean by back up the registry? where do you do the search for the coccurrences of the word refresh?  again sorry i just know how to turn the computer on)   thank you for your patience and understanding
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

i am having the same problem with my music files, when i delete them the remain on my media player. i have been reading the thread and wished for some help from (Deckard) i wanted to try your sugguestion, but i do not have any experience with computer.  i just turn them on and use them.  (please bear with me) what do you mean by back up the registry? where do you do the search for the coccurrences of the word refresh?  again sorry i just know how to turn the computer on)   thank you for your patience and understanding
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Backing up registry means to make a copy of it before making any changes to it in case of a mishap. To backup registry you can use any of the following two methods:

1. Use system restore (This is the easiest method)

Use system restore. You can find this in

start->all programs->accessories->system tools

or simply search system restore in the start menu.

Create a system restore. This will create a backup of your registry and other program files.

2. Through regedit

Go to start and search "regedit". UAC will pop up, click OK.

In the window that opens up click on file and export. Save the exported file in a safe location. The saved file is your registry backup.

To search for any instance click on edit and then find.

Monday, January 25, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hi all,

Good luck.

One day and several reboots since the fix and everything is still working fine on all three machines.

Bingo.  Thank you so much for investigating on your own Deckard.  This fix solved the problem immediately on my Win7 x64 Ultimate install.  I'll monitor for a few days to be sure, but this definitely appears to have been the smoking gun.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:03 PM
  • By the way, to confirm the fix for x64, this was the key I changed as well.  I only changed one and it fixed the problem, so I can confirm that the key kengr posted worked for me as well.  Below:

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F\Instance

If this hadn't been closed as answered in October, I'd suggest we do so now. :p
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:08 PM
  • NUCLEO!!!  I added this registry entry to Windows 7 Pro x64, rebooted and it solved this very problem for me!!!

MANY MANY THANKS
    • Proposed as answer by billythek Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:55 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Hi all,

Good luck.

One day and several reboots since the fix and everything is still working fine on all three machines.
    Can anyone confirm if this works for Win 7 Pro x32?
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Its been 2 days now. Working nicely on Win 7 Pro 32 Bit
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:43 AM
  • My computer does not have this registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance. I'm running Windows 7 ultimate 32bit, upgrade from Vista Home premium 32bit.
    Somehow I haven't seen the refresh problem for a while. Propably since I removed the old shares (filesharing) and added new ones.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 1:02 PM
  • Just closing the loop on this experiment.  The change to the Win7 64-bit registry has been working for me for about four days.  The refresh problem is gone and there don't appear to be any noticable side-effects.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 10:21 PM
  • I have the same problem on my fresh windows7 x64 install. I remember have the same problem on a toshiba r600 when i have disable the intel video driver app with msconfig and solve it by re-enable them. Now i'm on a different hardware, disabling network sharing don't solve the problem and i don't have the registry key above. I'm running with an ati 2600 pro so i fall back to windows7 driver and still the same explorer bug. Finally i have remove it and switch to the internal intel graphic board and explorer work like a charm, can do anything explorer still refresh for 2 days now. The ati board as working for many month before on another hardware using windows7 x86.
    • Proposed as answer by DMANCE Monday, February 01, 2010 6:25 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:48 AM
  • I tried re-running the WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX and it worked for me.  Problems solved in all cases.  Windows7 Professional 32-bit.  
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:26 PM
  • I tried running WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX again and the problem went away!  Windows 7 professional 32-bit.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:29 PM
  • This isn't just a Win7 problem. I just setup a new Win2008 R2 x64 server and it has the same Explorer refresh problems. (Not a surprise, perhaps, since they're supposed to share the same code base...)

FWIW, there are no {BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F} keys on this server -- which is expected since Office 2007 isn't installed.

John

Monday, February 01, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I tried this a week ago on Win7/32/Ultimate. No change. I didn't really expect anything as this key corresponds to a Web discussion toolbar for IE.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 10:41 PM
  • It is back. The refresh problem even though the refresh registry item was deleted. It seemed to work for sometime but now the problem is back.
    Wednesday, February 03, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Followed the Deckard plan:

W7Pro64 with O2007 and

W7Ent32 without O2007

Changed DontRefresh key value from 1 to 0

.reg file follows

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}]
    @="&Discuss"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Implemented Categories]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Implemented Categories\{00021494-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\InprocServer32]
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"
    @="shdocvw.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance]
    "CLSID"="{4D5C8C2A-D075-11D0-B416-00C04FB90376}"
    "DontRefresh"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{BDEADE7F-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\Instance\InitPropertyBag]
    "URL"="C:\\PROGRA~2\\MICROS~2\\Office12\\INTLBAND.HTM"

Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:46 AM
  • I  have been having the same problem desribed in this thread. I have a brand new laptop with Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. All updates have beenapplied to Windows.

My problem was all forms of changes seemed to be missing until I refreshed the Exporer page. Specifically rename a file, move or copy files, etc. This was happening in the Picture library in particular. 

My point is I took the brave step of editing the register like shown in the post above this one. Only changing the one data value in the Don't Refresh Sub Key to 0(Zero) from 1(One) So far, it is working perfectly, but it did require a reboot before it started working.

I am not technical enough to confidently edit the registry myself. So I also found the following link useful in how to use the registry editor.  

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1440.html  

Then I just carefully looked at each key using the path shown above. Thanks PeitrodeSantaCruz

I have seen a lot of posts in differrent sites for this same problem. I am amazed that it has not been fixed yet by Microsoft. I cannot imagine anyone wanting their folders to normally not refresh. Yet that is how the product is shipping. 

I hope this helps someone, I was pretty frustrated, until I got this to work. I will see if it stays fixed.   

John
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 3:52 PM
  • As shown by subsequent posts after this thread was listed as "Answered", this problem has definitely not been resolved. Please see new posting for continuation of this thread as an unresolved problem:

Sunday, February 07, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Since this thread has been marked as resolved by Microsoft it has been continued as an unresolved problem at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/09fd46ff-65f1-4fa7-ae2d-9f3b2644fad6

Please add new submissions in the new thread (in the hopes that Microsoft might pay attention).
    Monday, February 08, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Another report, just for the record.

I just found this thread via Google as I am having the same problem. I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on a current system (i7-860, 8GB, Asus P7P55D Deluxe) and on this PC I have 6 drives, 4 in a RAID 10. 2 SATA. I have 3 instances of Win7 installed, one on each drive. All three exhibit this problem.

If I select one, two or more files, right-click and delete them, they remain in my explorer view. I have to press F5 or click the refresh icon to get the files to be removed from the displayed list. This is extremely annoying.

I have all the proper latest drivers for what is a very basic setup at this point. No other software is installed. My device manager view looks clean with no missing drivers. Regardless if I boot from the RAID array or from one of the SATA drives I have the same problem.

I am surprised at the sheer number of bugs in Win 7 for such a highly touted (by Microsoft) OS. Such basic things that should have been sorted out in Beta testing. Oops, I forgot, all Windows users are beta testers.

:)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Unfortunately I have to report back that the problem did come back.  I happen to have run the Windows Experience index as well and the problem persists.  Bummer!  This problem is so annoying.

A restart does correct the problem for ~1 day, but it always returns thereafter.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:38 AM
  • You might be able to buy a few more days by deleting iconcache.db as a matter of course when restarting. I'm probably going to automate it so I don't have to think about it (Task Scheduler?), since it does no harm and I think it extends the number of days before my variation on this problem (new icons not appearing on Desktop) returns.

It's a new "best practice."

Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:09 AM
  • This was not changed in my case, but those who disabled UAC may want to rethink that decision:

Article ID: 2018895 - Last Review: February 11, 2010 - Revision: 1.0
    Desktop items disappear after renaming them on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2018895

Symptoms: When renaming a file, folder, or shortcut on the desktop, it will disappear until you refresh the desktop.

Cause: This can occur if "User Account Control" (UAC) under "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts" is set to "Never Notify" for the logged on user.

Resolution: Set the UAC to the Default setting of "Default - Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer".

Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:15 AM
  • This thread is continued here:

Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving/deleting

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Forum Moderator
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:17 PM