none
Windows 7 Professional Update Error 80070002

Question

• I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 Professional N 64-bit that no longer allows windows updates to be installed.  The Windows Update utility responds with error code 80070002 when you attempt to check for updates manually.  Setting Automatic Updates to Automatically Download and Install Updates also does not work.  The system has been incapable of updating for almost three months now.

I have verified that the system is Malware-free by doing the following: a complete PC scan with Windows Defender Offline bootable USB drive, a complete system scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (after first running rKill and TDSSKiller to ensure there were no background processes interfering), and a complete system scan with Norton 360, which is the currently-installed anti-virus software.

I am unable to run the System File Checker utility.  It simply states that "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."  In response to this I verified the integrity of the file system using CheckDisk, which reported no errors.  Additionally, a scan of the hard drive with Western Digital's Data Lifeguard (it is a WD drive) reports that the drive is in fact perfectly healthy.

I have attempted to run several Microsoft Fix-It utilities including the System Update Readiness Tool, Microsoft Fix-It 50202, and Microsoft Fix-It wu.RNP.21269415725341375.1.1.Run as outlined in several Knowledge Base articles.  I have also manually reset the 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore' and the 'C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads' directories.  None of these solutions have resolved the issue.

The system was updated successfully to Service Pack 1 via Automatic Updates before this problem began.  Are there alternative solutions which I have overlooked which may be of use in resolving this, or should I just ignore the updates, turn off Windows Update, and hope that Norton is sufficient for preventing malware-related calamity?

-Robert

Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers