none
Windows 7 will not boot.

Question

• I have had windows 7 for about 4 months now and it ran perfectly. Recently though the computer froze and i had to perform a forced shutdown. Ever since then windows fails to boot at all. It goes to the login screen very slowly now, then after I type in my password the screen goes black for 10- 30 mins at a time then restarts. I have tried startup repair, it won't let me do system restore. I have tried everything i possibly could and i get the same results. Half the time it wont even make it to the log in screen. I have tried booting from an installation disk and get the same results. Is there any way to fix this?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 3:26 AM

Answers

• There can be two reasons:

1. There may be a hardware fault (CPU, memory, motherborad, PSU etc).
    You may try to use Windows Memory Diagnostic test from your system recovery options:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7
    or you can use some third party diagnostic tools.

2. Your computer is infected by a virus, worm or some other malware.

When I encounter the error like you describe, I normally:
    a) wipe the contents of the system/boot partition (format c:).
    b) do a clean install
    c) if the symptoms persist, I send the computer for servicing.

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:37 PM
  • I would like to suggest the following methods:

1. Check if any hardware device works abnormally with high tempature or loud sound. If so, send the computer to tech for repair.
    2. Clean Boot system to identify if it is caused by 3rd party software.
    3. Boot in Safe Mode to identify if it is caused by any device driver, if so, try updating device driver to the latest version.
    4. Perform hard disk check and memory diagnostics.

1) To check the hard disk error, run a command in evelated privilege: chkdsk /f.
    2) Download Windows Memory Diagnostic to test memory.

If the issue persists, you can look into Event Viewer to see if any error is noted as slow login performance.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:39 AM

All replies

You may try to use Windows Memory Diagnostic test from your system recovery options:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

b) do a clean install

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:37 PM
  • First of all if i were you, i would verify that the processor temp is within it's appropriate range. You could monitor it under health status or hardware monitor, depending which bios you're using
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:00 PM
  • I would like to suggest the following methods:

1. Check if any hardware device works abnormally with high tempature or loud sound. If so, send the computer to tech for repair.
    2. Clean Boot system to identify if it is caused by 3rd party software.
    3. Boot in Safe Mode to identify if it is caused by any device driver, if so, try updating device driver to the latest version.
    4. Perform hard disk check and memory diagnostics.

1) To check the hard disk error, run a command in evelated privilege: chkdsk /f.
    2) Download Windows Memory Diagnostic to test memory.

If the issue persists, you can look into Event Viewer to see if any error is noted as slow login performance.

Best Regards
    Dale

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 5:39 AM

b) do a clean install

What a stupid response to a problem.   I have a desktop which will not work after loading a Windows 7 update.   It will show the Windows logo [ugly monstrosity that it is] and then I get a nice cursor arrow, followed by zilch.   I get tired of looking at that blasted arrow.   I have tried everything that these so-called answers lay out.  It will not boot - period.   Not in anything with  a Windows CD, a Rescue CD, my backup [weekly] or system restore.   [I do get a message that system restore cannot work because of an Nvidia file in C:/program files/ but it is not there!] There is nothing wrong with my computer!!   I have checked the drive - no faults.   I have installed Windows on another drive - works perfectly.   Something is either corrupt in Windows, the boot record or whatever.  NONE of Microsoft's so-called solutions has shown me how to recover my ORIGINAL installation and its' much needed information.   Pity one cannot just move the registry to a new install but wouldn't  that be simple and beyond the resources of any Microsoft supposed programmer?   Why should I pay big bucks for some tech to do the job when Microsoft should supply the answer to their own *-up?  Just to be clear - the same update crashed my granddaughter's laptop.  Luckily her system restore worked.  Thanks Microsoft for making my pre-Christmas week so jolly.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Great answer.    Can you explain how to view Event Viewer when the computer just wont work?   Thanks - it may solve my problem.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:42 AM