none
Vista Install Error: Error Code 0x80070241

Question

• I am in the process of trying to upgrade Windows  XP Home Edition to Windows Vista Ultimate.  I purchased an upgrade edition of Vista Ultimate.  I have checked whether my PC is capable of running Vista using your compatibility tool and no upgrade issues were identified.

I start Windows XP, insert the DVD into my DVD drive and the autorun feature kicks in and I am given the option to check my system’s compatibility or install Vista.  I choose install Vista.  I am prompted to enter my produce key, which I do, and the screen then changes to the user acceptance agreement.  I accept the agreement and I am then given the option of doing an Upgrade or Custom install.  I choose the latter and the installation process beings.  A window opens which says that “windows is copying files (0%)…” After several seconds this process aborts and an error message pops up:

“Windows cannot copy files required for installation.  The files may be corrupt or missing.  Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.  Error code 0x80070241.”

The install then unwinds itself and I am back in Windows XP.

I have tried the following to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Restarted my PC with Vista DVD in DVD drive.  I then pressed any key to start the installation process.  A message appears saying that windows is installing some files.  This process also crashes with the following error message:

1. Copied all of the files from the DVD to my C:\ drive, removed the installation disk from the DVD drive and clicked on the setup.exe file on my C:\ drive to start installation.  Installation continues as described above and crashes out with the same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. Tried calling Microsoft’s technical support staff.  After spending almost two hours with a technician the problem was still not solved.  He suggested that “many users were experiencing this problem” and that “it was probably due to a corrupted DVD disk”.  I took his advice and went back to the retailer where I had purchased the product and exchanged it for a new one.

1. Using the new DVD I reperformed steps (1) and (2) with the same results (“error code 0x80070241”)

1. Tried disabling all antivirus software.  My machine has Windows OneCare and Webroot’s AntiSpyware/Antivirus software.  Restarted installation from within Windows XP.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. Tried uninstalling all my antivirus software using the “Add/Remove Programs” option from within the control panel.  Restarted installation.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. I then resorted to reinstalling Windows XP.  I completely reformatted my C:\ drive, reinstalled Windows XP and updated Windows XP with all updates.  No other software was installed.  Restarted the installation of Windows Vista from the DVD drive.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.\

1. Restarted PC with Vista DVD in DVD drive.  I then pressed any key to start the installation process.  A message appears saying that windows is installing some files.  This process also crashes with the following error message:

1. I reinstalled the graphics card drivers (Nvidia) and restarted the installation of Windows Vista from the DVD drive.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. Copied all of the files from the DVD to my C:\ drive, removed the installation disk from the DVD drive and clicked on the setup.exe file on my C:\ drive to start installation.  Installation continues as described above and crashes out with the same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. Restarted PC with Vista DVD in DVD drive.  I then pressed any key to start the installation process.  A message appeared saying that windows is installing some files.  This process also crashes with the following error message:
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:43 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I'm also having the same problem, I've got Windows Xp Home Edition and I'm upgrading to Ultimate Edition also. I just really hope someone can work this out because i would really like to use vista and not having it sitting in a box.

Regards,

Shannon
    Friday, February 02, 2007 12:42 PM
  • I was able to resolve my problem after MANY hours with Microsoft tech.

The error seems to have been with my DVD drive.  Although it appears to work for other applications etc. it wasn't working correctly with this install.  I purchased an external DVD drive and was able to complete the installation without issue.

Hope that this helps.
    Friday, February 02, 2007 1:22 PM
  • I've tried to install of an external drive and it doesn't work, I've also tried to install as an ISO using daemon tools and i still get the same error.....grrrrrrrrr Microsoft fix it please!
    Friday, February 02, 2007 2:26 PM
  • I am a Staples associate and I work on computers for Staples EasyTech service. I had a customer bring in his Gateway laptop to have us install Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade from his XP home machine and it consistently creates the same error message. I had also tried the above steps previously without reading this article and it didn't work. Running the customer's recovery disk from Gateway also creates an error and I can't even install XP home at this point.
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:07 AM
  • I think you guys have 2 ways :P

- Take your money back from Bill
    or
    - Copy entire DVD to your HDD and burn it again 1x (max 2x).
    I won't guaranty, but at least try.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 11:59 PM
  • I have also try all of the above before doing this google search. I have a acer Aspire 9410 from staples, great buy, if anyone is instrested. The machine has Vista home Premium, I purchase Vista Ulimate upgrade, but I am not able to run the upgrade, the above error message keeps popping up, this was also true for a full install, it did not work. I hope Bill and his team fix this problem and fast.

I was on the phone with MS Vista support and the only thing they could come up with is to take back the Disk to staples for a replacement, which they will not accept, since it was purchase over two months ago.
    Thursday, April 05, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Did you read this guide: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=796452&SiteID=17 ?

If you did and failed with it, so your DVD media is bad and need to be replaced.

Good luck

Thursday, April 05, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Staples only has a 14-day return policy so you won't be able to get anything done through Staples. I have customers time and time again try and return software because of a "bad disk". This is never really the problem. Sometimes I take the disk and run it on a different computer and it works fine. I know Microsoft has some sort of bug in the installation and they need to support it and fix it.
    Thursday, April 05, 2007 5:06 PM
  • I have the same problem...all I am told is to do a clean install of Vista instead of an upgrade.  However, they are guessing...not truly diagnosing the problem.
    Saturday, April 07, 2007 12:38 AM
  • Got this error message.

Have Windows 2000 installed.  And a 20Gig hard drive.  Failed anywhere after 2% and 25%.

I had a 40 Gig hard drive (brand new) sitting around, so I put that in (disconnected the 20 gig drive).

Vista installed without an issue.  So in my case, it was either having a windows 2000 on the drive (or an OS period) or it was a bad drive.  But Windows 2000 worked just fine.

I know this doesnt help, but I replaced the HD and Vista installed without issue.  I might mention that I used the same CD rom and same CD's to do the install.

- AW

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:45 AM
  •  

Ensure your BIOS, chipsets and drivers are upgraded to latest versions of firmware.

Check with your system manufacturer.  Do they assure the system is compatible with Vista?  If not, is there a way to upgrade?

Are you certain your XP product key is valid?  You'll hit this error if not.  See 914232.

Finally, ensure RAM is ok

Memory Diag Tool

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

the utility should complete serveral times with no errors

the download can be used to create a bootable floppy or CD and it's very small and boots very quickly. 

Test for hive corruption by replacing the system & software hives from the repair folder to the config folder (back up config folder files first)

The Windows 2000 registry repair utility is now available at –

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56D3C201-2C68-4DE8-9229-CA494362419C&displaylang=en

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Okay so I finally figured it out and worked 100% for me (installed Vista on my laptop). I just want to say that I did not figure this out on my own I just took a bit of information from everyone on the forum and this is what I got:

*note: this is a repost of what i posted on another thread earlier on

Download WinHex and Win32Dasm.

1. Open up Win32Dasm -->Disassembler --->open file to disassemble..
    • at this point locate where ever you saved your windows vista files. Here is an example of my computer: C:\Windows Vista Setup\sources
    • then find winsetup.dll and CLICK ON IT!
    • it will take few seconds/minutes to load
    • once it is loaded there seems to be a problem "decoding" the information to show up in proper text (showed up in symbols for me at first)....if you have this problem click Disassembler again and then go down to FONT ---> select font (choose what ever best fits you)
    2. Now hit the Search button on the top and click "Find Text"
    • type: while copying Setup files
    3. Press up on the arrow key until you find JNE.....(the numbers after JNE will be different from everyone else)
    • here is example of mine: jne 369B4DAF
    • once it is highlighted LOOK DOWN at the status bar (when i mean look, i mean using your EYES)....
    • you should see something that says "@Offset (your own number with an H at the end)
    • example: @Offset 00074335h
    • COPY THAT NUMBER (write it down somewhere)
    4.  Close Win32Dasm

5.  Open up WinHex --->File --->Open --->winsetup.dll (same file as before)

6.  Press: ALT+G
    • should be a field saying: New Position
    • in the new position type in the offset number BUT remember to take off the H
    • example: New Position: 00074335
    • hit "okay"
    • then it should automatically flash/highlight a number for you (usually a 75, 74, 85,84 can be any of those numbers depending on what it is for you)
    • for me it was flashing the 5 on 75 and all i did was press 4 to change it
    • so for the two digit number it will ask or allow you to change only one digit (the last one)....if its a 4, then change it to a 5, and if its a 5, then change it to 4 (pretty simple)
    • YOUR DONE now SAVE IT
    7.  Now if I'm correct (haven't tried it yet) you use the setup.exe file in your SOURCE FOLDER (example: C:\Windows Vista Setup\sources)

Hope that helps all i got done now and thought I'd quickly post my results on how i used winhex and win32dasm before i actually install vista.
    Thursday, May 03, 2007 3:20 PM
  • im getting the same error and regretting formatting my ubuntu partition for this hassle. ms fix this!
    Sunday, May 06, 2007 4:30 AM
  • replace the cd-rom drive to dvd drive and it will work fine

sharon

Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:29 AM
  • Hi

I am interested to know whether anyone has tried this and if it works?

Thanks

Faaiez
    Friday, June 08, 2007 5:58 AM
  • Tried it and it did not work for me, however I was having the same problem installing some ms expression stuff and by using a faster dvd player it worked.

Adolfo
    Friday, June 08, 2007 2:21 PM
  • One can only upgrade from 32-bit versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista.  Sorry.....Windows 2000 is not upgradable.

Regards,

Gelid Heart

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:58 PM
  • Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanx Mr. Charles Snow 

what a maaaaaaaagic

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:44 PM
  • hey MR. Snow

i'm trying this way to but where can i find winhex, all that i found could'nt save it because its was a free trail.

can you help? 

thanks,

pasa

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Can you believe, i upgraded from WinXP (SP2) to Vista Ultimate 2 months ago, in my Acer Travel Mate 660L.Worked fine with me for a period, due to some external hardware problems (Uncompatible USB TV Tuner card), i have to format my laptop and reinstalled XP back again. And now when i try to install/upgrade back to Vista Ultimate, same DVD whcih i used to install 2 months ago, it's giving me this stupid error 0x80070241.

Strange

Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:56 AM
  • I've got Vista on a DVD  and working right, i will tell u my hard ware and software it is:

My DVD Burner is "DVDRW LH-16W1P"

the brand of DVD+RW I used was "imation" ive tried to burn thid disc many time, ive used many burners, but this time i used imgburn at 1x (1 Speed) where according to its on stats, it was writing at 4x, even tho i selected 1x,  it burned right, it didnt fail installationso if u have the vista ISO, burn it using Imgburn at 1x i used a DVD+RW disc sine i know it doesent burn roght, but this worked for me, i will neva erase this disc, finaly i got the vista ISO to burn RIGHT

remember dowload the ISO

use IMGburn at 1x to burn it its slow but it works

before you question you DVD Image ISO, use dameon tools and mount it on to a virtual drive, that how i tested my ISO, ( who wants to spend pointless hours different ISO all day and night?

I think mcrosoft have taken taken thid error to there better, sayiong they better be legal, i must admit, MS have made it abit harder to copy Vista on to another DVD disc, but i have a way around this, (thanx to paradox), ( the best cracker in the world... the oem tool really does it, MS's anti piracy is just a stupid myth like all the other OS's, every thing can be cracked there is no point in charging for software, if paradox is around

Sunday, September 02, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Just wanted to share that using a different DVD drive worked for me!  I have a Falcon Mach V with 3 DVD drives and 2 would not work, and just for s***s and giggles, I connected the third as the master and to my amazement it worked!  So all of this other stuff seems a bit much.  I would reccomend to all who have tried a "different" DVD drive to ensure that it is set to master and connected to the controller directly.  I am stabbing in the dark here but if you connect an external DVD to your system and leave the internal connected to the controller as the master it will still give you the dredded "no one really knows what the hell it is" error 0x80070241.  Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents!

Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:44 PM
  • Windows cannot copy files required for installation.  The files may be corrupt or missing.  Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.  Error code 0x80070241.”

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:46 PM
  • this is not MS fault, you nust of downloaded a bad ISO or burned it too fast, when burning DVD ISO's you need to burn them slowest speed possible, about 1x if possible, a program call imgburn can do this, worked for me, but best on a DVDRW just in case u waste a DVD disc, i also had this error, if u mounted the ISO, like u said, it has to be a bad ISO

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:34 AM
  • I am having the same problem and have also tried a Flat installation.  I purchased copies for 3 computers and ready to return them. Is there a fix??

eveleal wrote:

I am in the process of trying to upgrade Windows  XP Home Edition to Windows Vista Ultimate.  I purchased an upgrade edition of Vista Ultimate.  I have checked whether my PC is capable of running Vista using your compatibility tool and no upgrade issues were identified.

I start Windows XP, insert the DVD into my DVD drive and the autorun feature kicks in and I am given the option to check my system’s compatibility or install Vista.  I choose install Vista.  I am prompted to enter my produce key, which I do, and the screen then changes to the user acceptance agreement.  I accept the agreement and I am then given the option of doing an Upgrade or Custom install.  I choose the latter and the installation process beings.  A window opens which says that “windows is copying files (0%)…” After several seconds this process aborts and an error message pops up:

“Windows cannot copy files required for installation.  The files may be corrupt or missing.  Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.  Error code 0x80070241.”

I have tried the following to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Restarted my PC with Vista DVD in DVD drive.  I then pressed any key to start the installation process.  A message appears saying that windows is installing some files.  This process also crashes with the following error message:

1. Tried calling Microsoft’s technical support staff.  After spending almost two hours with a technician the problem was still not solved.  He suggested that “many users were experiencing this problem” and that “it was probably due to a corrupted DVD disk”.  I took his advice and went back to the retailer where I had purchased the product and exchanged it for a new one.

1. Using the new DVD I reperformed steps (1) and (2) with the same results (“error code 0x80070241”)

1. Tried disabling all antivirus software.  My machine has Windows OneCare and Webroot’s AntiSpyware/Antivirus software.  Restarted installation from within Windows XP.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. Tried uninstalling all my antivirus software using the “Add/Remove Programs” option from within the control panel.  Restarted installation.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. I then resorted to reinstalling Windows XP.  I completely reformatted my C:\ drive, reinstalled Windows XP and updated Windows XP with all updates.  No other software was installed.  Restarted the installation of Windows Vista from the DVD drive.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.\

1. Restarted PC with Vista DVD in DVD drive.  I then pressed any key to start the installation process.  A message appears saying that windows is installing some files.  This process also crashes with the following error message:

1. I reinstalled the graphics card drivers (Nvidia) and restarted the installation of Windows Vista from the DVD drive.  Same “error code 0x80070241” error.

1. Restarted PC with Vista DVD in DVD drive.  I then pressed any key to start the installation process.  A message appeared saying that windows is installing some files.  This process also crashes with the following error message:
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:16 PM
  •  

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:24 PM
  • ya, after reading this post, i got imgburn and burnt at a slower speed.  And as luck has it, it actually works now. no more error message while expanding files.  Thanx soo much to everyone here who gives out advise.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I was trying to install Vista from the original DVD (upgrade from XP) when I had the same error; I tried winhex (or search for another hexadecimal editor freeware, something " I-don't-know-what...  2000", the 5.0 version) and win32dasm but it didn't work for me.  The sollution: I used another computer (a newer one) to copy all the files and folders from the DVD disc to an external HDD. Then I connected that external HDD to my computer via USB and installed Vista from external. It worked flawlessly.

I had a "corrupted file" error also when I tried to install Open Office. So I copied the downloaded installation package from C: to the same external HDD, extracted the files to a directory on the same external HDD and then installed Open Office to the computer's internal HDD.

Thanks to all that have posted above, it was useful for me in finding my sollution.

Good luck!

Monday, April 14, 2008 12:25 PM
  • I'm finding it hard to believe there are so many problems installing vista. I'm putting Home Premium 32bit upgrade (yes LEGAL for all those who look for the easy answer) on one newish hombuilt and Ultimate 64bit on a brand new hombuilt with all vista sli blah blah compatible components and both worked the first time for a few days and and couldn't boot anymore. At first it was Windows Boot Manager unable to load sorry I can't be more specific with the error codes because they are always different and I ran out of paper. The biggest problem in my oppinion is SATA which I used  on both comps up untill now. I'm back to IDE hard drives on both sytems and the 64bit is back up for now (1 day running) well see what happens. The slightly older sytem 1 year MSI 865GM2-LS  1gigaram Lite-on DVD rom model: SHD-16P1S (if anyone cares) 120gig WestDigital Hard Disk 500wattPS  and thats it everything else removed or onboard disabled.

So right now I got past the issue at hand on this perticular thread by moving the DVD rom jumper from Cable Select to Slave where it exists in my configuration (yours may not be slave it may be master..?). Now I get to the end of "Expanding Files..." and BOOM BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) with some new stop errors and NTFS.sys Address blah blah I'm SOOooo tired of this but I refuse to give up. I guess I'm stuborn that way but I WILL use this software dangit! And if the creek don't rise I'll youse my god dang SATA drives too!

I don't expect anyone can help me but hey! wouldn't that be nice hehe

Eric

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:03 PM
  • set boot priority to dvd in bios
    then run vista ,put the disk in the drive restart the computer, press any key to install when prompted,  intallation will begin as normal but will miss out the part that keeps getting the error code trust me it works just had to do it myself, 

when it works send me $100 thanks

Friday, June 05, 2009 12:05 AM