none
Task Scheduler

Question

• Hi I am using Task Scheduler in Windows 7 Pro to start a BAT file that xcopies any files that have changed to a network location. This generally works fine however every now and again task scheduler seems to run at completely the wrong time. Its is configured to run at 3AM but today it started at 7.21AM, the day before its started at 3AM as required but the day before that it was 4AM (These are the times Task Scheduler is reporting the task starting at, but I can also confirm this by looking at the times inside a text file created by the bat file).

What can I do to make sure this task always starts at exactly the same time. The process generally takes about 3 Hours and I don't want it occurring whilst the computers is in use.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Did it work well before? I suggest to recreate the task scheduler for test.

Also you can try to create another user account and login for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did it work well before? I suggest to recreate the task scheduler for test.

Also you can try to create another user account and login for test.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:19 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. I am going to write down what I already asked on this serverfault question so that you are aware of the problem:

I have a task scheduled every day at 3:00, on a Vista 64 machine. Most of the time it starts at 3:00:00, sometimes 2:59:59, which is fine.

But from time to time the task is launched at a completely arbitrary time, such as 12:50 or 18:30. Sometimes I see the task's window pop up in front of me while I work. It's very IO-intensive so there is a reason why I run it at night.

Here is an example from one month ago. It shows the task was launched at about 03:00:00 on 10/30, 11/01 and 11/02, but at 23:33:05 on 10/31. I am sorry the TaskScheduler screenshot is in French, but I have no way to change that.

Task Scheduler logs

The file c:\Windows\Tasks\SCHEDLGU.TXT indicates that Task Scheduler was up and running at that time (again, dates in French locale, sorry):

"Service du Planificateur de tâches"
        Quitté à 15/09/2011 11:58:50
        Démarré à 15/09/2011 12:00:01
    6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
        Quitté à 08/11/2011 15:10:19
        Démarré à 08/11/2011 15:12:35

I see absolutely nothing relevant in the TaskScheduler logs that may indicate why it was launched such an odd time. The machine runs 24/7 and is never rebooted except when Windows Update asks for it. It runs an extremely limited set of third-party software, my work environment consists of little more than Visual Studio and MSYS. It also runs Linux in a virtual machine that performs regular tasks (this is not really relevant but it shows that the machine never goes to sleep either).

Friday, December 09, 2011 11:24 AM
  •  

'Hi I am using Task Scheduler in Windows 7 Pro to start a BAT file"

The task scheduler in Windows is an internal and one NEVER interracts with it.

Renee

"MODERN PROGRAMMING is deficient in elementary ways BECAUSE of problems INTRODUCED by MODERN PROGRAMMING." Me
    Friday, December 09, 2011 9:19 PM