none
windows 7 chainloader/bootmgr error 13 invalid or unsupported executable format

Question

• Hello hope some body can help recently loaded windows 7 entered the gen key , last night windows went gen and downloaded a service pack . Turned the computer on this morning and chainloader/bootmgr came up with error 13 invalid or unsupported executable format any ideas how to fix this ???? press enter comes up with GRUB4DOS dialog box but noting will work please help

many thanks carl

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:39 AM

Answers

• Is there a reason why you're using GRUB4DOS as a bootloader? Unless you're actually using a different OS then Windows this should not be present on your pc.

These kind of alternative boot loaders are often installed in order to archieve "activation" of Windows, without actually owning a legit product key.

What you can try if you're not using Linux or a different OS for dualbooting, is to boot from the Windows Installation disk, and use the option "Repair my Computer" in the main Windows Setup screen, this will allow you to run a "startup problem solver". This could potentially fix your bootloader again by reinstalling the Windows default bootmanager. Note: If you do use dual booting, this will probably make it impossible to load the other installed OS untill you properly install/configure grub4dos again.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

checking this article:

http://emalliab.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/error-13-invalid-or-unsupported-executable-format/

regards,

Tim

http://directoryadmin.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Is there a reason why you're using GRUB4DOS as a bootloader? Unless you're actually using a different OS then Windows this should not be present on your pc.

These kind of alternative boot loaders are often installed in order to archieve "activation" of Windows, without actually owning a legit product key.

What you can try if you're not using Linux or a different OS for dualbooting, is to boot from the Windows Installation disk, and use the option "Repair my Computer" in the main Windows Setup screen, this will allow you to run a "startup problem solver". This could potentially fix your bootloader again by reinstalling the Windows default bootmanager. Note: If you do use dual booting, this will probably make it impossible to load the other installed OS untill you properly install/configure grub4dos again.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:49 PM