Windows Vista crcdisk.sys system won't boot

Question

•  

I have two Sony Viao laptops that will not boot with identical symptoms.  Their configurations are as follows:

Model #VGN-FZ280E, Core2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM and 250GB SATA Hard Disk.

They hang at the "Microsoft" logo screen with the "travelling bars".

They won't boot in any of the alternative menu options - "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

When attempting to boot in safe mode, the systems both hang at "crcdisk.sys" - apparently the last driver to be loaded before a command prompt is delivered.  Although this is not the source of the issue, only the symptom.

They both began experiencing this problem after the installation of a recent Microsoft Automatic Update patch - although I can't tell which one because neither system will now boot.

I used the System Recovery Console after booting from DVD to perform a startup repair and that did not resolve the problem.

I went to the command prompt, ran chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f and that did not resolve the problem - although several errors were fixed.

There are no "System Restore Points" - so I can't attempt that avenue of problem resolution.

I called Microsoft Tech Support - their advice was to reinstall the operating system.  Unfortunately, they were not willing/able to dive into a deeper diagnostic strategy to determine the root cause with me.

I have researched the term "crcdisk.sys" on Microsoft Forums and found 273 entries.  There are many potential causes and solutions, but the entries don't seem to have any consistency as to what the root cause might be, what a diagnostic routine might be or what a resolution might be.

I have almost 100GB of data on each machine, and through the command prompt, I can recover the data, but it would sure be nice if there was a way to pinpoint the cause and simply replace a driver through that same command prompt.

Anyone have any suggestions?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, December 21, 2009 4:56 AM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:53 AM

Answers

• I've had the same issue for two days now.

My solution actually happened by accident. In the DOS Prompt, I accidently deleted the files within the folder windows/system32/config/.  Then after that I ran Start-up Repair on the boot disc, and this time it actually did work, whereas the boot disc wasn't able to repair the situation earlier on.

I hope this helps other people who are still running into the same problem.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:24 PM

All replies

• I have no suggestions but I do have the same problem. After installing the Auto Update on my laptop, the system rebooted and stopped right after the green loading bar.  I have noticed that once the system reaches the crcdisk.sys file, the HDD clicks and then seems to stop workind all together.

I am running Vista Ultimate on an Acer 5100 (less than one year old), 1GB DDR2 RAM, AMD Turion 2.0 X64 processor.

I have also tried the vista repair programs including the command line and the hard drive seems to stop working then also. For some reason I do NOT think it's the HDD. When I run the System Restore program off the repair disk, I get an error message saying "File System is corrupt, please run Startup Repair." But the HDD stops working a few seconds after opening the Startup Repair utility.

• Proposed as answer by larrylegarde Wednesday, October 07, 2009 4:46 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Sam problem here.  It happened right after the auto update this week.  I have an LSI Logic SCSI card and Vista Ultimate.

• Proposed as answer by barrytsmith Monday, October 18, 2010 11:14 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2008 6:05 PM
  • This is FUBAR!

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit

I thinik Auto Update ran last week and installed and update that may have also caused this issue for me (not quite sure) but I'm having identical issues here trying to boot my computer for the first time yesterday.

When I boot into safe mode it stops at crcdisk.sys and none of the other options work either. I attempted a repair from the Vista DVD and it ran all night while I slept and when I work up it was still at the same screen, there  were no errors it just wasn't repairing anything...

I heard the update in question is a VIsta SP1 prerequisite but I can't confirm this is what caused the issue since I can't boot into Windows.

I can however boot my system into Knoppix Live CD and see all of my drives and files.

I have searched high and low for a resolution without success, any ideas here guys??

Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:23 PM
  • I have a vaio ar51su with Vista Ultimate.
    I had the same problem yesterday. After a restart I got stuck at the crcsys and reboot. Trying to open a command prompt resulted that the C disk wasn't recognized.
    Running checkdisk fixed a lof errors, especially security permission ones, but still couldn't reboot.
    Finally I did a complete restore of the system. I was fortunate to have a full backup taken 2 days ago.

This morning, it started to happened again. Outlook stopped working because it couldn't access the pst file due to security reasons! I did a restart and again the same problem couldn't boot to Windows. However this time the windows 'startup restore' worked and fixed the problem after about an hour and several reboots. It looks like something is corrupting the file system and possibly has to do with security issues. I need to find out what it is because it can happen any time and thus making the laptop unstable.
    the last update that has happened was on the 13th of February. It can not explain the crash on the 29th of February! I have now idea what it can be but I need to find the solution ASAP. I will post here if I find something.

Ioannis
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008 8:42 AM
  • OK... this is a solution, and I hope it works for eveybody ( btw, this is from an other post).

I create this post to share my experience of installing vista on a Toshiba Tecra A4 (old pc, but vista is working since rtm was release and iot works smooth).

Basically it seems the crcdisk.sys is not working because of the pcmcia and firewire driver ( which I never used) So i disabe the driver manually.

The same problem occured to me when first intalled vista RTM and after installing SP1 this drivers installed again and freeze my pc at boot time.

So this is how to fix the problem:

1) I start windows Vista from my DVD and select repair, select the command to star the console.
    2) in the command promt I go to where my windows is installed and remane ( or delete) the followind file:

\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
    \windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
    \windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla
    \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

*NOTE: the file with * where NOT renamed (or delete) and it worked for me. In case Ur PC freeze again try to rename all files.

3) exit and restart.

GOOD LUCK and say hello to Your new Vista SP1.

Maxy3d

• Proposed as answer by Coffee-guy Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:26 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Maybe it's something u installed.
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.. and I just called sony tech support. I wa smost happy to have my computer fixed via the phone.
     I however, found a system restore point...
    U sed u have no system restore points?

*turn on computer.
    *keep clicking F10.
    * click system restore.. and restore to earliest date.
     However, that's if u have a point to restore it to..I hope something works for u... cuz I KNOW how u feel.
    • Proposed as answer by barrytsmith Monday, October 18, 2010 11:16 PM
    Tuesday, April 01, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Add me to the list. Vista worked fine until 3 days ago when I had a massive error message come up and it said it was restarting the system. It rebooted, and all I had after the select profile screen was my mouse pointer. I was then able to ctrl alt delete to pull up task manager and was able to manually go in and run the explorer so that my desktop would come up. However, about 10 minutes after I'd do that, I'd get the blue screen of death that was ever so popular back on windows 95 and 98.

I decided I would try the startup repair and it completed the first time, however did not change my problem. So I did a restore...BIG MISTAKE! Now I cannot boot up windows AT ALL! I have also tried running whatever repair utility available and they lock up. I had them running overnight and when I woke today, they were still in the attemtping to repair screen. I figured as a last resort I would just restore the entire OS and get this, I can't even restore Windows! I cannot format the HDD, I cannot reinstall Windows...I am extreely frustrated and I know that there is nothing wrong with my HDD and I have a ton of files that I just cannot bear to lose. Microsoft needs sued for putting out such a defective product.
    • Proposed as answer by barrytsmith Monday, October 18, 2010 11:16 PM
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 2:49 PM
  • I had the crcdisk error a couple weeks ago.   Dell XPX 410.  No way could I get to the disk or get a prompt.

I decided to buy a 2nd hard drive.  Loaded Vista on it and all worked fine.  THen I tried to hook up the old drive as a 2nd hard drive.  The system would not boot!   Apparently the CRC Disk checks all installed hard drives.

I then ordered one of those SATA to USB adapters  Got it today.  Hooked up the old disk to a USB port, the system immediatly recognized it and I was able to copy all my data off it. 

Then I tried the instructions for deleting (changed name() of the

C:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*

C:\windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys

C:\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys

C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*

C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla

C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*

C:\windows\inf\sdbus.inf*

C:\windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

None of the filerepository files were available and the sbbus.inf was not there.  So I only changed the names of four.

I then replaced the new drive with the old one.  Got an error recommending running the startup repair.  It did it's job and the old drive is now working.  I then put the new drive in as a 2nd hard drive.   So I now have two working bootable drives.

Friday, April 11, 2008 3:36 AM
  • Yep, on boot my machine freezes at crcdisk.sys.

I only had firefox open, then I locked my machine and left it on over night, when I came to it in the morning both screens were just showing black pixels and moving the mouse and pressing keys did not 'wake' the machine up.

Pushing numlock did not make the num lock light go out, suggesting the machine had locked up.

So I had to use the power button to turn the machine off, left it for a few seconds and turned it back on - to find this incredibly annoying problem.

All safe mode options have the same problem.

However, if I select 'last known good configuration' I end up back at my black screens with keyboard not listening to the num lock key.

I'm pretty sure I turned auto updates off so I don't think Vista would have done an update overnight.

I'll post here if I find out more!

Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:44 AM
  • OK, I am all back up and running again.

FYI: I have a RAID 0 setup - I seem to be seeing people mentioning RAID alot when looking up this problem.

I found my Vista disk and did a repair which asked to do a restore, which I did and now its all fine. I realise this won't help most of you, but it pretty much proves that its a Vista update that is causing the issue.

I have switched off auto updates (evidently I hadn't done that previsouly) and shall probably never turn them on again. I have to say this problem really p*ssed me off. Thanks MS.
    Friday, June 06, 2008 9:19 AM
  • If you could have gotten a DOS prompt you probably could have recovered simply by erasing those selected files.  That was all I needed to do.  Problem was withoout the original Vista install disk I could not get in to erase them.

Supposedly SP1 fixes the problem.

Hope you don't mean you are not going to do any more updates.   You still want them.  Set  for notices only and then install manually.  I had  problem once with the auto update where I was typing when a message flashed on the screen that the machine was going to restart due to a new update.  I was typing and obiously gave the go ahead.  When it came back up some items would not work.  I had to restore to the previous set point. 

Friday, June 06, 2008 2:34 PM
  • Yup, now I have this same problem.

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ140E running Vista

That's pretty much all that I know about the computer from the top of my head. I'm not really a tech person. It updated last night, I do believe... still worked fine up until tonight. Then it completely froze and I did a "hard" reboot (holding down power button til it turned off). I've done that before, and usually everything works fine. This time, it froze at the black loading screen with the green moving bar at the bottom. So I try "last good configuration". Same thing. Safe mode freezes at crcdisk.sys. And so on.

I don't have a Vista disk since the computer came with Vista.

Is there any OTHER solution aside from completely restoring the system? I have an external hard drive that I use for backups, but it's been a couple of weeks since I backed everything up. I was planning to do that this weekend, but well .... yea. And from what I've read even restoring the system doesn't always work...

If there is somthing that I can do, could someone please post extremely simple step-by-step instructions?

Or failing that, can someone tell me how to get into my drives in order to copy things onto my external hard drive. Again, with very very simple step-by-step instructions... If I can do that, I wouldn't mind totally restoring the system. But I don't want to lose my files.
    Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:46 AM
  • i have the same problem. i have a sony sz-370P. It came with windows xp. I upgraded some months ago to vista ultimate and three days ago the computer showed the crcdisk error.  i have tons of data and would not like to loose it.

any ideas how to recover the system ? i have performed the "get last running configuration" but it has not yield any results. I tried also the command prompt and it will not recognize my c: drive.

this happened to me once and i took the  computer to the sony shop. Apparently, the hard disk was damaged. The technicians told me not to install vista again until the service pack was out.

is there a way i can get the data out ? by pluggy an external harddrive and/or running linux ? if so what version.

is there another fix ?

i have read about the same problem and it seems to be some driver. Any clues ?

thanks,

sugarking.
    Sunday, June 08, 2008 12:34 PM
  • I tried to boot with linux and other systems.  I could not get access to the command prompt to erase those selected files.  I then bought that hard drive to USB adapter.  Very similar to this one:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2020&cpc=RECOM

But you will need to boot with another drive.  I had to buy a 2nd hard drive and put Vista on it.  Now I put a complete image of Vista and all my programs on the 2nd hard drive.  Once I got the new drive booted I plugged the old one into the USB port and was able to copy all my files.  Also was able to erase those files suggested by MS and it then was capable of booting too.

Sunday, June 08, 2008 2:09 PM
  •  

Hey there.  Got a similar situation trying to fix my friend's computer.  Can't boot in any of the usual F8 options and Safe Mode reveals that it's freezing on crcdisk.sys.  I haven't found a way to even get to the command prompt and none of the disks that came with his computer will boot properly.  I myself have XP, so I can't make a boot disk for him.  I'm confident I can fix this thing if I can just get it to boot to SOMETHING I can work from.  Any suggestions?  Thx in advance.
    Friday, June 27, 2008 2:51 PM
  • As I explained earlier the only way I found to access the disk was to use one of those SATA to USB adapters.

Do a SATA to USB adapter search and you will come up with all kinds available.  I just did it and this is one of the first ones up:

http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/seatasatousb.html

Then you should be able to hook that hard drive to a USP port on your XP machine and get access to the files:

Microsoft said to delete the following files.  They were not all on my drive but that fixed the problem.

None of the filerepository files were available and the sbbus.inf was not there.  So I only changed the names of four.

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:54 PM

• Rich512: I renamed all of those files (all were available for me) on my Dell desktop. But it's still the same error, Vista doesn't boot.
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Update:

Deleting the files mentioned by Rich512 *DID NOT* work for me.

Solution for me: I restored a system restore point from a couple of days ago.

Booting through the Vista DVD had tried to restore the last system restore point but hadn't worked. It only worked when I restored a restore point several days old (going back past several Windows updates that were installed).
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Apparently there are multiple problems that can result in the crcdisk error. If you can get a prompt the restore will usually cure the problem. However, when like me and others who could not get a prompt something else is causing the problem.

With mine I could not boot or get a prompt even when that drive was mounted but not being used for booting. I had to remove it from the system to get the alternate hard drive to boot. Then using the SATA to USB device I was able to get into the files.

From what I have read SP1 should have cured my problem.

Monday, June 30, 2008 1:19 AM
  • hi,

i have the same crcdisk.sys boot problem and i am running a toshiba satellite u300 dual core. i have tried and failed starting my laptop from the safe modes (with command prompt and network) and the normal mode. i saw your reply and i am trying to follow how you solved your problem. unfortunately i am not that familiar with using the command prompt and finding where my windows is installed.

i am trying variations of accessing my hard drive c:\ in order to find the files. i was wondering if you could  tell me how you where able to find your system files throught the command prompt in simple steps. also when you find those files what do you rename them too just in case i dont want to delete them?

thanks
    Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:46 AM
  • Your problem might be solved if you can get a restore on the last system update.

Deleting or renaming the files is worth a try.  It worked for me but I could not get a dos prompt.  I had to get in by booting on a different machine and using the USB to hard drive device.

Working with the dos prompt:

A number of ways to do it.

from the DOS prompt  you can to to the directories.  Use the cd (change directory command)

for example:

C;\cd \windows\system32\drivers

or

C:\ cd windows

c:\windows cd system32

c:\windows\system32 cd drivers

(chdir can also be used)

once there you can delete the file with

del pcmcia.sys

(delete can also be used)

or you can rename the file to .old

ren pcmcia.sys pcmcia.old

to back up one directory:

cd ..

\windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

Saturday, July 05, 2008 3:14 AM
  • I came home from work today. My pc was off. Figured one of the girls might have turned it off. So, I turn it on. Locks up. I reboot, try safe mode, freezes at crcdisk.sys. Tried again, same thing. Used some of my recovery DVDs to scan hardware/chk disk, ect. No problems on hardware, but when I ran the startup repair, It said it couldnt repair the problem it incountered. I looked at the advances tab to see what it said. NoOSinstalled on one part. So i reboot, mess around with some other things, tried to boot up, still a nogo. So i ran that program again, and it said it couldnt repair again. Failedatrepair or something was on the advanced tab. Now, I restart, and POOF! It works! So im like cool. Then, AVG tried to install an update, ERROR not enough free space. It also closed down my webbrowser/app windows. So I check and i have over 70GB free. And thats where im at now. Don't know if I should attemped a restart. Any Ideas?
    Saturday, July 05, 2008 10:32 PM

• hi

i am running a toshiba satellite u300 dual core laptop with vista and i am having the same crcdisk.sys loading problem.

i am trying to take your advice on solving the problem but i am not that familiar with command prompt and i cannot seem to access where my windows are installled even though i know the exact location. i have tried variations of the path and i cant seem to get it.

i was hoping that you could give a simple step by step instruction once in command prompt to access the files. also when you rename them what do you rename them to?

thank you so much and i hope that you can help me solve my problem.

mand0126
    Sunday, July 06, 2008 4:43 AM
  • mand0126:  If you are not familiary with DOS commands your best bet may be to find someone to help you with them.  As I showed in the previous post you have to use the CD (change directory) and DEL (delete) commands.

Panik3r:  You don't have a crcdisk problem.  Maybe just need to clean up you disk but obviously 70G is more than enough to operate.  I can't think of anything to do but try again.  Maybe do a system restore.  assume you are running vista.  Are you getting automatic updates?  I prefer the setting of having them notify me when an update is available.  I always install it as soon as possible.  The default is to install imediatly.  I had one come in while I was typing something and suddenly a message flashed that the a new update had been installed and to do something to shut the machine down.  I was typing and obviously hit the key for go ahead and it dumped my work.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I don't have them set to install right away, it asks me to install. My pc didn't actually shutdown, it just closed all of my open windows.I have system restore turned off, to prevent viruses embedding themselves into the system restore files. Yes I'm running vista, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, amd 64x2 4800. Also, Firefox said it was closed unexpectedly. Weird problems. I didn't delete the files in the above posts, because It booted up the last time. Also, i thought of something else, I removed a SD card that morning before i went to work. Think that might have something to do with it? All seems fine now tho. Still wondering why it wouldn't boot those like 9 times i tried and then it finally did. Weird. Checked my system log. All i can find is this, anything look like a major problem?

The previous system shutdown at 6:54:49 AM on 7/5/2008 was unexpected.

Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  The real time backup file was corrupt due to improper shutdown. 4:09:28 PM on
    7/5/2008

Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication.  The data field contains the error number. 7/5/2008 4:09:35 PM

The ICS_IPV6 was unable to allocate  bytes of memory. This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory, or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error. 7/5/2008 4:10:00 PM

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected changes. Microsoft recommends you analyze the software that made these changes for potential risks. You can use information about how these programs operate to choose whether to allow them to run or remove them from your computer.  Allow changes only if you trust the program or the software publisher. Windows Defender can't undo changes that you allow.
     For more information please see the following:
    Not Applicable
         Scan ID: {7DD8A826-7DD2-4330-9F58-5926CAFB7E28}
         User: ********
         Name: Unknown
         ID:
         Severity ID:
         Category ID:
         Path Found: file:C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\LaunchU3.exe.lnk;file:C:\Program Files\u3\LaunchU3.exe;startup:C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\LaunchU3.exe.lnk
         Alert Type: Unclassified software
         Detection Type:
    7/5/2008 4:10:20 PM

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.
    Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data
    Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {7e382f56-f181-41a0-bb75-c957a8a2a37b}
    7/5/2008 4:11:03 PM

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Ok, so is there one and final solution to this problem? We've identified everyone has this issue....now someone, please post a solution  that works for all...anyone? Original poster Leif...how did you resolve this issue?

Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:20 PM
  • DIsclaimer:  I am not a Microsoft Windows professional, rather an advanced user faced with an extremely frustrating challenge.

After my post in February, I went on to spend dozens of hours of time working on finding a solution to the specific challenge I was havng and a resolution to the problem, more broadly.  My ramblings on the subject are as follows:

As we all know, the system hangs upon startup at the crcdisk.sys driver.  According to various web sites, the crcdisk.sys driver is a "Disk Block Verification Filter Driver."  "CRC" means Cyclic Redundancy Check and is a common technology deployed in storage devices to test the if there are errors present in those storage devices.

The implication regarding this driver is that the system is performing a verficiation of the disk subsystem to ensure that it is in working order before it will continue and finalize the boot process.  The failure of this driver to complete the process implies that there is a physical or logical error that cannot be repaired (or even reported on) and thus halts the entire process.  Since the error is unspecific and there does not seem to be more detailed information on the specific routines performed by this driver, I cannot speculate on the precise challenge that this driver seems to be encountering when it hangs.

I have read of various attempts to solve the problem through various efforts and my comments on the two most common attempts are as follows:

The most common resolution has been to go to a valid "restore point" that has hopefully been created.  Since I had no restore point created, I was not able to test this theory.  My suspicion is that this might be succesful in allowing the user to access the drive and data again, but it might only be a temporary fix.

The second most common resolution was to boot to a command prompt (using a recovery CD or by creating an emergency recovery CD with a Linux kernel) and then attempt to rename various device drivers and restore the original device drivers loaded with the system.  I did attempt this process and it was not successful.  I suspect that in a minor subset of folks who experience this problem, there could have been a driver conflict that was casuing the crcdisk.sys driver to suspect there was a failure when, in actuality, there was not.

I did end up taking both laptops to the manufacturer (under warranty) for diagnostic and repair.  When I presented both latops, they performed a manufacturer diagnostic routine that indicated a failed hard drive and controller card on both systems.  Further, the Sony employee commented that he has seen many of these failures in the last many months.

Important part here:  I am reasonably certain that in most cases, there is an underlying defect in hardware that must be corrected before a truly successful resolution can be applied.  Given the nature of the driver that is hanging and my subsequent experience with the diagnostic routines applied by the manufacturer, I would suspect that both of those resolutions are temporary and the symptom presented is, in fact, indiciative of a physical failing (or failed) device(s).

Apparently this is an extremely common occurence as there have been over 5000 views of this thread since February.  Please note that I do not 100% conclude that this must be a hardware failing or failure, but given all of the information posted in this thread, and the fact that there does not seem to be any consistency to those threads, that is the most likely explanation for most of the failures that occur.

I did have the manufacturer provide me with both failed drives and I acquired a USB to SATA/IDE adapter and was able to recover almost all of the data on another PC.  So, aside from the annoyance of dealing with the repair process and the time invested, I am reasonably unscathed.

I do think that Microsoft should provide a far more detailed (and expert) description on the details of the driver and the symptoms that we are all experiencing.  Anyone at Microsoft listening?

Lief

Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Obviously there is more than one problem being discussed here.  Obviously the crcdisk check may fail for many reasons.  In my case I could not get to a command prompt.  I have had contacts with others that had the exact same problem as me.    The "Dell expert" from India recommened a reformat.  That was impossible because I could not even get a prompt.  I was quite certain that the hard drive was still good and that all the data was still there.   Apparently the crcdisk check looks at all hard drives mounted on the system.  I could not even boot from a different hard drive that drive was in the system lets say mounted as D drive.

THe only way I could access the disk was with it out of the system and using a USB to hook it to a booted system.   Once I deleted those selected files it was usable again.

However, many of you report being able to boot.  The system restore is then the best option.  I have used that a couple times to recover from a stalled system.

Have you installed Service Pack 1.  That is supposed to take care of many of the associated problems.  I have read where some have had problems when installing it.   

Panic3r, it looks to me like you have a lot of stuff running in the background that might interfer with Vista routines trying to do the same thing:  Real time backup, Windows Defender, Shadow Copy, Kerberos.  You have a network?  Looks like a totally different type problem that most here are discussing.

So all I can pass along is that if you can't get a hard drive booted and don't want to lose the data on it, it may be possible to access it with another computer using one of those hard drive to USB port devices.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 10:36 PM
  • I have a problem with a Acer laptop that is running windows vista home it wont boot up keeps saying missing file on x:\windows\system32\winlogo.exe I think that is what it is. I think that a virus got in and renamed that drive c: to drive x: does anyone have any suggestions or do you kno0w what the viruse might be.

Friday, August 08, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I can understand the frustration that you all feel for this problem. I had the same problem on my system and I am doing my best to find a solution without loosing any data. For now, pass the word around to NOT install service pack 1 if you have dual boot on the same drive.

I will come back and post when I find a solution to this mess.

Good luck to all and please be patient.

el buky.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:12 PM
  • I had a hard disk failure (one of two drives in a stripe raid 0 configuration failed) this cause me to rebuild the PC from the ground up.  I purchased a new hard drive (Raptor) and decided to not stripe the drives (this has caused so many problems in the past with Nvidia chip sets).  I loaded windos vista ultimate 32bit.  Loaded all the hardware and mobo drivers.  With no applications loaded except perfect image I made the fatal mistake of allowing MS to update the OS one last time.  There were 27 critical updates to install.  The download went fine, did create a restore point during the install, the system attempted to reboot.  It took several hours (in to the night) to complete the installing on shutdown the machine would not reboot.  The system hangs on CRCDisk.sys also.  I have read all the replies here and some hint a bad hard drive.  It seems this could be the problem for some but not likely for most as people are reporting this issue after a MS update where the system was functioning perfectly OK before the update.  This is the second time this year, that I allowed MS to update my PC and after the update I have had to reload everything.  I would have thought MS would have located and corrected this problem by now.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:21 PM
  • I agreee that the disk is most likely good.  It appears to me that the crcdisk stall can be caused by many things. 

You did not say if you area able to reformat the disk.  My problem casued the stall at the same point but I could not get to the disk.  I had to use that USB adapter to get access to it.

After installing the system I was able to load all those critical updates.  It takes time but should not have taken hours as you experienced.   I also loaded SP1.  It too is a large update and takes quite a while.  I don't think it was more than an hour.  From what I have heard many of the problems have been corrected in SP1.

My suggestion would be to reformat and try again.   Good Luck.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:14 PM
  •  

Hello everyone,

I have managed to boot into a laptop with the above problem. And all seems to work fine so far (2 hours with multiple boots and tweeks)

Ok System is a compaq presario c500 laptop. about 1 year old.  Vista home premium.

A friends laptop primarily used for facebook and internet thats it.

Got given the machine that would not boot.

The last thing that was visited was xtube on the friday night, on sunday morning boot, machine failed. could not get into safe mode, etc etc etc. all the symptoms as described above.

I removed the the Sata hdd and using a Xp Pro machine boot with the laptop hdd as a slave. Windows ran a Chkdsk 3 stage scan immediately. before it had even booted into xp.

I then updated Antivir and ran a scan on the Laptop HDD. 20 minutes later i had found 4 viruses linked to a "mywebsearch" toolbar. a 4 delete.

Ran onother chkdsk - right click on hdd ... tools... chkdsk .. automatically fix errors... prompted to do it on next boot. fine by me...

after restart

I then discovered this thread and had a read. looked through the system32 files to edit. None of the above where there to be found.

So i then thought .. i know i'll do a defrag.

www.download.com here i came and downloaded o&o  perfect disk 2008 free trial.

would have used o&o defrag 10, but fancied a change... seeing has it had a built in defrag tool.

selected the offending hdd and selected defrag only,

being vista i new it was going to be pretty tidy.. but it came up with another option once it had finished. to do with smartplacement pass. 2 minutes later that had passed.

Anyway, replaced HDD back into laptop and hey presto, booted into vista.

not sure what actually fixed it ... but thats what i did.

A look at the machine once in showed up that it had an expired notron internet security loaded and a "mywebsearch" toolbar.

other than that all was normal.

hope this helps someone.

Monday, August 18, 2008 11:00 PM
  • I too have had this problem, googled it and found this thread ref the hanging bars.

After spending 2 fruitless hours on the phone to HP support testing the hard drive (which I knew it wasn't but they wouldn't listen) I decided to take matters into my own hands (no I haven't made a recovery CD - its a new tx2130ea pavilion laptop running an upgrade to Ultimate).

Anyway. Quite by accident I found a solution which might work for some.

I put in the Fujitsu Siemens recovery dvd i created for my wife's vista laptop and booted from that (several hundred pounds cheaper and far better by the way), and at the moment where we get past the hanging bars and vista asks whether you want to recover simply click cancel.

The laptop then spent 30 minutes "doing things" and rebooted. And now it works perfectly!

No pc expert, and quite by accident, but all data intact and ready to roll.

So maybe try getting a vista recovery cd/dvd for any brand pc/laptop and click cancel at the point of no return?

Good luck, and thank you Microsoft for wasting my Saturday.

Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:51 PM
  • I just got this same blackscreen problem for the SECOND TIME!  I have a P305-S8822 laptop.  About a month ago, the same thing happened to me.  I tried every suggestion I could find including deleting the PCMCIA, SD drivers, etc as suggested here.  Nothing fixed it.  And in the process, I messed up the bootloader.  I eventually had to completely wipe my laptop back to factory settings.

Well, this morning, the same EXACT thing happened again.  First I tried to fix the startup files, but it didnt' find anything, and it only looked for about 3 seconds.  I tried deleting the suggested driver files again, which didn't work.  I then tried rolling back to an old restore point (14 days old), which didn't work.  I then did a boot log and tried to see the last thing to load.  It was luafv.sys.  I then pulled down some other guy's boot file, and I found out he loaded "drmkaud.sys" next.  So I renamed that.  But when I reset the PC, it complained about the file system integrity, which it had not done before.  So I let it try and fix it.  It booted into startup fix on its own and spent about 30 minutes there this time. 

I thought it was locked up, but it finally did finish (it offered to let me restore early on but I cancelled out of it).  After it booted up, I figured it was because I changed the drmkaud.sys file.  So I restored the system back forward.  But when I rebooted, it went back to black screen, and changing drmkaud.sys did not help. 

So I went back 14 days again, and the system booted.  But the first time I tried this, it definitely didn't work.  So I don't know what the heck gives.  It would seem that when it booted into the different startup restore mode it actually fixed something that choosing the option from the disk repair menu didn't fix.  But the problem is somehow dependent on a windows update of some sort.

I'm disabling updates for now, because I know this problem is not solved.  I was listening to music this morning, which I have never done before on this laptop.  My daughter was listening to music before it locked up last time.  MAYBE there is something to do with an update, the audio driver, and the windows media player, but I am not sure.  I just can't pin down the root cause of this.  But it clearly isn't a hardware issue.  Windows Vista doesn't like some kind of driver and is locking up after it loads luafv.sys (I also tried renaming luafv.sys early on.  It didn't help or hurt as far as I can tell although the disk repair option that seemed to help came up the second boot attempt afterwards).

I wish I could help you guys so I could help myself.  I don't like knowing that my laptop can lock up at any time.  I wish MS would take this seriously and fix Vista so it would at least tell what's wrong rather than just locking up, black screening and then rebooting.  It's extremely frustrating, and it's definitely not going to go away considering that this is the second time it's happened to me already.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:31 AM
  • Toshibal, your problem is not excatly what this thread was about.  The original problem was those that could not boot at all.  Only when they did a safe boot did they see that the boot sequence was stalling after loading or trying to laod the crcdisk.sys file. 

If you have the problem again, do a safe boot to find out where in the boot sequence you are having troubles.

I don't know if disabling updates is the proper thing to do.  That prevents MS from fixing your problem!!

Updates from other vendors of course can be something to correct errors they have found when working with Vista.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Actually, it's the identical symptoms.  In both cases, my system booted up part way, and then it went to a black screen with just the mouse cursor.  After a while, the system reboots itself, and it does it over and over and over.  If I do a safe mode boot, then the last thing that gets put on the screen before it hangs is the "CRCDISK.SYS".  So the symptoms are the same, BUT, I don't think the cause of most of the problems here are the same. 

If you go further and start logging the bootup sequence to file, you will see that even though the safe mode shows CRCDISK.SYS as the last thing to load, it isn't.  The system goes into loading driver files after it completes CRCDISK.SYS (and it should be noted at this point that MS only displays stuff on the screen or in the log file AFTER it successfully loads, so whatever is actually hanging your system will not show up ANYWHERE).   Wouldn't it be nice if MS had a verbose logging mode and maybe put a line like "beginning load of XXXXXX.INF" followed by a "compleded load" or something so you could actually see what file is hanging the system?  Wouldn't that be nice?

But anyway, the reason I came back here to repost is I have now rebuilt my system back to exactly the way it was before it hung up, and it isn't hanging up (which I suspected would be the case).  I THINK that the problem on my system is tied to the sound somehow.  I was playing an MP3 in the windows media player, and I paused it.  Later, my system went to sleep.  When it tried to wake up, it was unable to complete coming out of sleep mode and went into the perpetual bootup loop forcing me to restore my system. 

But even then, it's unclear why a straight up application of the 14 day old restore point didn't fix my system. It required that and a deeper system repair that I couldn't get from accessing it through what basically amounts to a Windows Vista startup disk which Toshiba has placed on the system and made available through the bootloader.  And when I tried to roll the system back forward after it recovered using the restore points, the problem came back.  When I went backwards, I was able to use it again.  Somehow, the problem was already in place before the last restore point.

If MS could change the bootlogging, or at least give some better indication on what the problem is besides a black screen of death, that would be a big help.  This problem has to eventually be fixed.  I've never seen Windows XP show this type of problem.  And I don't believe this is a hardware issue.  I am a hardware engineer, and I can't count the number of times software guys have come to me complaining about my hardware only to find that at the end of the day, it's a code bug.  They love to think it's flaky hardware because it's the easy fix.  But so far the evidence does not point to a hardware problem.  Hardware problems are generally thermal or mechanical.  It is unlikely it's either here.  I have been in the Philippines for the last two months, and I am not using the air conditioning during working hours.  And the day this died was not unusually hot or humid (not by Philippine standards anyway).  Beyond that, the problem only responds to software type fixes.  In the first case, I tried to restore the system for four days before I gave up and wiped it. 

The reason I did that was because in order to restore it, I had to have my children load up the restore disks in my DVD drive at home in the states.  I remote logged my system there and ripped the CD using CloneCD.  I then downloaded the disks one by one to the Philippines and burned them here before I could recover the laptop.  The amount of inconvenience and aggravation involved here is difficult to overemphasize.  Therefore, I would really like to see the problem get addressed. 

There are tons of other posts on these same symptoms all over the Internet.  It's a common Windows Vista problem.  But of course as an engineer, I can completely understand how hard it is to isolate.  MS needs a failing system before they are going to get this one.  However, the logging fix seems like a no-brainer to me that would be a big help in debugging not just this problem and should be done.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Thanks for the information.  However, I see the problem  as totally different than what I think I and the others experienced.

If you look back at the symptom I think you will find they are much different.  We never got beyond the crcdisk.sys file.  Something within the "cyclic redundancy check" was failing and it never proceeded.  Some waited for hours but it never got out of it.

Nothing further got loaded.  We could not even get to a dos prompt.  As long as that hard drive was in the system I could not even get a CD to boot to allow me to  reformat the hard drive.

I had to put a new hard drive.  Then when I hooked up that old drive as a secondary the system would not boot!  Apparently the crrdisk looks at all mounted drives.    It happened that when I stuck in the new drive it was assigned drive F.  The system recognized the drive as a secondary hard drive.  But when proceeding the boot up stopped with crcdisk and never went further.  I pulled that hard drive out and booted right up on the new drive.

Then I used that hard drive to usb adapter.   Booted up on the new drive.  Plugged in the old drive to the usb port and the system saw it immediatly.  I was able to go in and delete those files recommeneded by the MS tech.  Then I replaced the old drive with the new one and the system booted up immediatly.  Both hard drives were then usable.  So my problem was very definetly associated with those deleted files.  I think that MS corrected that problem.  Perhaps in SP1.  However, I think the crcdisk may be doing an extensive check of several areas on all mounted hard drives and perhaps a problem in any of those checks could result in a stall.

I would like to see some sort of counter continuously showing progress during the boot to assure me that the sequence is still in process.  At times during a normal boot there are some pretty long waits between display changes.

The hard drive to dvd adapter is handy for many purposes.  You can hook up the largest of hard drives to a laptop.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:24 AM
  • I may have found a solution to the problem.

I am having the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 1720

I formatted like 4 times and couldn't get it to work.

So I removed a stick of ram.. and swapped them.

Still didn't work.

So then I formatted again, and heard stuff about raid drivers.

When I inserted my Windows Vista disc.

It brought me up to a menu asking me what to do with my hard drive.

I clicked Load Drivers and inserted my "Dell Drivers and Utilities" disc into my Cd-Rom.

The disc looks Grayish looking.. (Incase you may want to look for it.)

I then came up to a menu saying it found 1 Item on the list.

I loaded that driver, some AHCI thingy.

I then deleted all partitions.. until it said Free Space and had all of the free space on it..

Then I added 1 partition and then clicked Format.

After it was done.. I went through the Vista installation!

POOF! I didn't get a Blue Screen of Death when it was saying "Windows is preparing to start for its first time."!

Vista is as good as new!

This is my first post.. I don't know if I'm doing this right. Lmao Big Smile.

But, I really do hope this works for you guys, Like it did me.

Cya Later!

EDIT : For all you people out there that are having the same problem.
    Specify if you have ever installed XP before..
    My mom did not like Vista.. I installed XP.. and it had a problem with raid... but eventually i got it to work.
    a year later we installex XP again. and then we went back to Vista and had the problem.

Like.. maybe XP to Vista may cause the problem with certain types of computers..

But The above solution may fix it for you.. You are probably not inserting the driver disc and getting the correct Hard Drive. Driver...

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:06 AM
  • FabianRuss how did you get access to format?  With the crcdisk stall I was not able to access the hard drive at all.  The Dell restore disk ran some diagnostics saying the hard drive was good but still was not able to access the drive in any way, let alone format.  It was not until I installed a new hard drive and used the USP port to access the bad disk that I was able to get at it.

It is an interesting problem but have not heard anyone find a true cause or even a description of what the crcdisk.sys does.

If you have an original Vista disk you might be able to access for format.  Unfortunately vendors like Dell and HP only supply you with a recovery disk.

As any new system it takes time to get the unknown bugs.  Some might happen because of a program being installed.  MS can't be compatible with everyone.  That is the job of the program vendor.  Even Linux runs into that as well.  That is why they publish their beta versions to let the vendors of other programs try them out.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:08 PM
  •  

Rich, What do you mean crcdisk stalled?

When I installed Vista, It installed fine.

When I booted up on Vista, I got the BSOD and it flashed so fast I couldn't read it.

The only time I had a problem with crcdisk was when it was preparing to boot my operating system.

The Vista disc should work fine.. If not then, well, I don't know. May just have to do some more experiments.

I left Vista in the Cd-Rom and booted the laptop up. It then detected the CD and booted off of it.

Make sure it tries to boot off of the Vista disc, I had no problems with that.

If you are having the problem booting a simple disc, then your problem has gone deeper than just a bad hard drive.

------------------------------------NEWS-----------------------------------------

XP Dies

"Microsoft is not ending support for Windows XP. Mainstream support continues until 2009, while extended support is not due to end until April 2014."

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Running DELL XPS 410 with Vista.  No XP.  Unfortunately no Vista disk either.  Only the DELL recovery disk.  My problem was solved by installing Vista on a different hard drive and booting off of it.  Even it would not boot if the old disk was mounted anywhere in the system (ie: d: drive).  But I was able to access the old drive using the usb to hard drive adapter.  Deleted the files recommended by MS and then it too would boot.

As I said before, I am pretty certain the crcdisk.sys check can fail for many (hundreds?) of reasons.  Some you can still get to a DOS prompt.  Others like mine I could not get any kind of boot as long as that drive was in the system.  The DELL diagnostics ran but it would not even allow me to reformat as long as the hard drive was in the system.

Has been working just fine since.  I loaded SP 1 and have been keeping the system up to date with the latest updates.  Someone somewhere else said that SP1 fixed some of the crcdisk faults.
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:45 PM
  •  

Odd, lol! Keep that hard drive, Make it an external hard drive, Those always come in good use!
    Friday, September 26, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Before you do anything and possibly loose your data just do a backup.  Since you cant do it from your system try putting your hard drive into another comp and just back up the drive so if all else fails you still have your data.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 1:42 PM
  • I always make a backup but sometimes it might not contain the most current data.  Just the problem of having to completely reload a new disk.  For that reason I periodically made an image copy of my operatiang disk.  Have a complete bootable disk ready to go with all programs loaded.  Another would be to keep a complete backup of the whole disk.
    Sunday, October 05, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Two days ago I too started getting this rather irritating problem, which I have yet to resolve.

My OS is Windows Vista Ultimate, 64 bit.  The problem started with system slowdown, and task manager showed around 25% of my CPU being used up almost consistently for no apparent reason, or at least, no process in task manager (under elevated permissions) was claiming ownership of that 25%, nor was any combination of tasks using that much.  I decided to download Process Explorer, which revealed the CPU usage was coming from Hardware Interrupts.  The reason it was using 25% of the CPU was evidentially because Hardware Interrupts apparently only use the first core of the processor, and mine is a quad core.

Process Monitor was the next step, and it did not reveal that any task or process was repeating at a level that could cause such a problem.  At this point I was pretty convinced it was a genuine hardware issue, so I shut down, removed all hardware except for the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, keyboard, mouse and the primary hard drive.  This solved the problem, so I put the hardware back in piece by piece to see if I could tell which one it was.

Turned out to be the secondary hard drive, which while working in the OS was causing this resource hogging on the CPU.  Later on, someone in my house decided to watch a film that was stored on this hard drive, and this crashed the computer.  At this point, I had the same symptoms that a lot of you guys seem to be having, I.E. the system would not boot up if a certain hard drive was installed.  This hard drive is a 500GB Hitachi SATA drive.  The problem was that it simply stopped trying to boot just after the M$ Vista splash screen, and resulted in just a black screen that never changed.  Any of the safe mode options resulted in it stopping at crcdisk.sys.

I managed to get around it by booting up with the hard drive connected to power but not the SATA data cable, then connecting the data cable once within windows (at this point I figured I had nothing to lose). 

Telling device manager to scan for any hardware changes did indeed show up the hard drive, interestingly without the Hardware Interrupts.  Having said that, the hard drive feels different to the primary one (which is a nice continuous slight vibration) in that every now and then it seems to 'jolt', which suggests to me that the hard drive is in the process of failing.  I am currently in the process of pulling all my data off it, once that is done, I've created a little batch file to repeatedly ChkDsk and Format it over and over.

In this way I intend to stress test it (and see if there's actually any problems with it), so I'll post back once that's been running for a decent amount of time.

Monday, October 06, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Please help me!

I have the Dell Vostro 1700 and change the new HDD (old HDD is formated) then I Install the system from "install Reinstall DVD Windows Vista Home Basic 32 BIT" disc (and I Install the Win XP and copy the disk to HDD to install from HDD) but I can't install it, when it early to complette it reboot when it restart the dark screen with the mouse but it don't work untill I turn off, I try to run safe mode but it check crcdisk.sys then stand the same (it can stop every day untill I turned off the power key). I try many time and many days but I can't install my system for my work.

Please Help me! my email: color_light_vn@yahoo.com

Saturday, January 03, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Yep, I just had the fun process of reformatting and reinstalling on my Vostro 1700 and I had to go into the bios and disable the AHCI on the SATA setup. It wouldnt boot untill I ran the reinstaller again, but its running great now.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Some advice:
    Had this happen to a newer laptop.
    I'm the type of tech guy that "beats the odds" frequently, and I can fix something by trying several different strategies.  On this one, if you try the Startup Repair with the Vista DVD, and delete/reneame the files mentioned, and still get the error/stop --I would advise you to stop wasting time and pull the hard drive right away, connect to it via USB  or SATA cable inside a desktop PC (honestly never tried that) and backup everything you want off of it, then do a clean Vista intstall.  Testing the hard drive would be critical also.  Haven't found a good way to test a hard drive via USB yet.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:16 AM
  • I'd like to share a simple solution with you. Based on what I've read in this posts and how many topics there are about "crcdisk" against the "regback", following might become useful for many. Or not.

Anyway, lately I've been in exact situation, where I can't boot even using Safe Mode and booting gets stuck soon after crcdidk.sys. I tried repairing and claim was that problem got fixed (system config was corrupt or something like that). However, problem wasn't gone as I still couldn't boot.

Problem itself had appeared suddenly -- few time. All I might be doing was to read an article from net with a webbrowser, without programs accessing harddisks too frequently or anything overloading the system resources, neither anything similar. Still, suddenly harddisks became unresponsive and system might (or might not) jam totally. After restart I couldn't boot, because system files were said to be missing.

At first time I reinstalled the Windows Vista, but as its a bit lengthy process, I thought that there must be shortcut of some sort. And there was. And still is.

Solution:
    a) copy files in directory [windows]/system32/config/RegBack to the directory one level higher in the hierarchy (system32/config/)
    b) done. restart.
    c) if you want, you could copy current files to a temp directory

RegBack-directory contains backup-versions of those essential system files, which, like I've understood it, describes the system (what components are plugged in, etc.). Following files should be in both of the dirs:

COMPONENTS, DEFAULT, SAM, SECURITY, SOFTWARE and SYSTEM

There doesn't seem to be any bad sectors on the used harddrive, nor I could find any other issues affecting its physical healthyness -- by checking it with various shareware and official diagnostic tools.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Hi,

I just ran into the same issue. After many hours of looking for help, and just playing around, I finally figured out that on of my two (2) 2 GB sticks of RAM was bad.

I had just built the computer a couple of weeks ago, and it just started doing the same exact things listed here.

boot, hit crcdisk.sys, fail reboot.... repeat.

Then when I tried to booting from the dvd and doing a restore, I hit 0x7E.

I tried different disks, resetting the CMOS, and a few other things. I then took out one stick, no luck, and then switch and took out the other.

Once I switch, all issues where resolved.

I applied SP2 and all the other updates. After, I tried putting the stick of RAM back. As soon as I did, I was right back to the same issue.

Took it back out and booted without issue.

This may or may not be your issue, but wanted to list it here for others that might have the same problem that I did.

Cheers,
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:25 PM
  • Had the crcdisk.sys issue.  Contacted MS support and they ran me through a few possible fixes but none of them worked.  So I installed ubuntu and was able to access my C: drive there.  I backed everything up to an external drive and am now running Ubuntu.  I will attempt a full system restore with MS.  Hopefully that will work and get Vista up and running again.  If not, I guess I'll just run Ubuntu.  At least I saved all of my data.  Microsoft needs to deal with this crcdisk.sys issue.  Hopefully windows 7 is better.  I might just buy a Mac.  I had 2 pcs crash in the same week. 
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Boot from a WinPe or other bootable media, delete crcdisk.sys from yhe system32\drivers\ folder and reboot. Your system will come right up. 
    Monday, August 17, 2009 11:28 PM
  • I had the same problems. I tried all the restore, diagnostics, etc etc etc.  Dell diagnostics found no problem with the hard drive, however upon getting stuck at that same file (crcdisk.sys) during a safe boot, i decided to take a look at what was on c:.  There were normal "dos" files in the root and nothing else, after the Dells Vista went through an install (files weren't installed but went through installation without an error message) and wouldn't boot, obviously something was up with the connection to the hard drive, maybe it wasn't showing up as active or something.  For the fun of it, I threw in a Win XP install disk to find it did not find a hard drive.  So I saw about disabling the AHCI on the SATA in the bios and that is exactly what I did, despite the fact that people (probably Dell people) were saying never to do that.

Voila, problem solved!
    • Proposed as answer by Bravada Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:14 PM
    Monday, September 21, 2009 1:36 AM
  • Had the same problem on a Sony VGN-NS12M and this proposed solution worked fine.
    However I had to use a KNOPPIX Live CD to edit the NTFS partition.

Thanks Bill to keep Linux community useful! and you owe me 4 hours of my week end
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Can't believe that this is still an issue.  From researching, I deduce that this problem has existed since Vista came out- circa 07.  Still suspect conspiracy to "motivate" people into Win7. :P
    Either way, pretty shotty work when the OS update utility breaks the OS.    I believe it's time they ponied up and admited the known issue in a KB article, preferably with an autmated utility.

System restore was a bust, all 5 resotre points
    Did the manual .sys deletions and just nuked the driverrepository dir (rmdir c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\xxx /q) 

Had anyone tried the built in startup repair with Vista Ultimate? 
    Hit cancel on the question about using system restore and it copies the startup (i.e. boot.ini) portions over from the CD.  I gave it a shot since I hadn't seen it mentioned, but it was no help either.  Maybe others might have better luck.

Since everything failed, I had to restore from a Ghost backup.  Not the preffered method, especially since the likely hood of the same update causing the same problem will ocurr again.  :(

Have any Net Admins seen this issue occur when using config manager or SMS to manage updates? 

Getting off topic a bit. . . but, everyone kept mention Ubuntu so. . .
    I've already captured the machine with the VMware stand-alone converter with plans to install Ubuntu server x64 along with Sun Virtual Box to start a virtual Farm (got files to serve, web sites to host, etc.).  You can launch VMs without Gnome (the GUI part of Ubuntu) installed.  Much like running XP in parellels, the performance increas is astounding. 

Sad thing is that I have a version of Win7 running already (thanks MSDN Academic Alliance) and I'm seeing very little difference in function  I know the major change was on demand service starting v. bulk loading Vista uses, but my hope was that the major flaws with Vista were addressed.  It appears that Kenel level issues that hogged 20% of resources off the top has been addressed, but functionally it's the same.  Same crappy engine (i.e. the SMB2 protocol coupled with OpLocks still reaks havoc on NSAs).   
    I have a batchfile that I use for post Vista/Win7 OS loads that automates all needed registry changes (series of start /wait commands for .reg files), which helps reducing duplicated efforts.

---In the end I feel like an idiot.  The SATA cable was jacked-up, being the root of this problem from the start .  I experienced disk failures even in Linux and it wasn't until I moved all the hardware to a new case that I discovered it.  Still, running any Win OS as a VM from Ubuntu Server increases performance.   Not recommended for ametures at all though. 

• Edited by Zehnmonkey Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:40 PM Updated Solutions
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:08 PM
  • you are the best seriously!!!!!!!!!
    THANK YOU!!
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Wow... I mean, just wow... ACHI disabled and reset as IDE... flawless fix, except now that I did a fresh install I can not retrieve my old install despite having the windows.old directory?

Thanks though, at least I can access my computer without the command prompt ;-p
    • Proposed as answer by Bravada Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:15 PM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Buy a new harddisk and replaced it then reload the recovery DVD. (I got same problem and that is the only solution for me.)
    • Proposed as answer by fix-you Friday, October 23, 2009 12:17 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 12:10 AM
  • I just recently began having problems getting into Windows.  This was last Wednesday and I have been wandering around the Web looking for answers.  Some of the answers actually worked - until the next attempt at loading Windows.  My only issue at getting a new hard disk is that doesn't seem to be the original problem.  I note that a Windows Update came in the day prior.  I also note that this is an issue reported all over the various tech forums and happens no matter what machine the install is on.  Which would also seem to imply that the hard drive can't be the problem.

I am using memtest86+ right now and so far my memory looks great.  My hard drive looked great.  no bad sectors!  Woo-Hoo!.  I also had an external drive attached and initially when I removed all USB connections that worked to get Windows reinstalled.  Until I recovered my data files.  But now that can't be it, because my external drive isn't attached and I've only just reinstalled windows without applying updates.  BIOS already flashed.  etc etc.

In any case this seems a problem that has been going on for a very long time.  How come the powers that be haven't fixed it yet?
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:39 PM
  • OK... this is a solution, and I hope it works for eveybody ( btw, this is from an other post).

I create this post to share my experience of installing vista on a Toshiba Tecra A4 (old pc, but vista is working since rtm was release and iot works smooth).

Basically it seems the crcdisk.sys is not working because of the pcmcia and firewire driver ( which I never used) So i disabe the driver manually.

The same problem occured to me when first intalled vista RTM and after installing SP1 this drivers installed again and freeze my pc at boot time.

So this is how to fix the problem:

1) I start windows Vista from my DVD and select repair, select the command to star the console.
    2) in the command promt I go to where my windows is installed and remane ( or delete) the followind file:

\windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    \windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

*NOTE: the file with * where NOT renamed (or delete) and it worked for me. In case Ur PC freeze again try to rename all files.

3) exit and restart.

GOOD LUCK and say hello to Your new Vista SP1.

Maxy3d

I have also been struggling with this problem recently.  This was a completely random occurrence no updates installed for weeks and then all of a sudden (and before a really important meeting of course) I get this problem.  At first windows crashed with the error along the lines that the hiberfil.sys being corrupt and after a manual restart just the green loading bar.  Safemode showed that the loading was stopping on the crcdisk.sys.  None of the windows repair options worked.  I even used a windows embedded on a usb key and used error checking on the drive.

My set up is a DELL XPS M1330 running windows vista business 32bit.

I have completely sorted this problem without too much messing around with the file system.  Basically it looked as though I had the PCMCIA problem shown above.  Without wanting to remove the hard drive and mount in another computer to remove the drivers suggested above - I went into the bios and turned off all the attached hardware.  Bluetooth, mediacard, wireless, everything embedded but most significantly the pccard module.

Windows started up normally (*phew*) but I still could not hibernate and load up again (still the hiberfil.sys error).  I manually removed the hibernation functionality in vista using the following command line prompt (powercfg.exe -h off) suggested on this page (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/25/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-hibernation-in-windows-vista/).  I restarted my machine which removed the hiberfil.sys file.  Defrag and system clean up to remove all the rubbish and then re-enabled hibernation functionality.  (powercfg.exe -h on).  Hey presto hibernation is working again.

Final task, re-enable all the hardware in the bios and fingers crossed.  Windows started fine and installed some new hardware (I'm assuming that was the pccard module).  I've restarted a few time now, and also hibernated a few times with no problems so far.

This problem would now appear to be sorted for me, if you get this problem try doing something with the hiberfil.sys file (ie rename/delete) and see if this helps.  As vista enables hibernation by default this could be the route of all problems.  Someone needs to test this theory!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:59 PM
  • hmm i have similar problem too...
    this HP Pavillion Dv9000 wtever machine of mine was acting funny last few days.. gettng stuck in the middle of work .. then the screen would freeze. show random pink and green colors and then freeze .... i have proper protection so i know its not a virus issue for a fact.
     i have few diskchecks so all errors are fixed and hd is in check ...

clean registry time to time ..

in short ... i think this was becoming more and more of a Video Card problem. this problem mostly started when Stupid windows update downloaded new drivers and installed it ... it worked at first but as my computer kept going on Hybernation again and again i would have more problems Recouping back ... then the restart then the whole safe mode then the disk check and so forth back to windows .. for a while this worked untill today .. it  completely just went blank on me .. regular windows boot up .. blank screen - then nothing..
    safe mode hangs on crcdisk.sys..

as you must know usualy you know windows is loading/working fine the min you get a confirmation on your keyboard of the numlock key ..  but in this case on a blank screen i didnt get the key light on so i knew something was wrong and waiting and waiting it didnt load anything ....
    also

hp didnt give me a vista recovery disk .. and i forgot to make one ...

before i jump the boat and start swapping hard drives and all kinds of crazy things to save my information. i wanted to rule out few things wether this was indeed a Physical drive error or a software glitch or an actualy card malfunction ...

running few diskchecks .. everything came clean .. system test all clean .. then something stupid hit me ... and i decided to take the video card out Physicaly and just turn the System on to see if this was a MEMORY Glitch or SOFTWARE Glitch or Actual Video Card problem .. and to my amazement .. the min i took out Video card and Ran the computer .. in less then 30 secs num lock key is on .. i hear my speakers playing login music and all the normal things i would hear from my computer loaded followed with few other sound i know that my computer installed softwares make upon loading as confirmation diaglouges cuz they are old version software....

so the point ... this problem is Occuring the Minute i put that Video Card in the computer .. there is no other physical or software issue with my computer as of yet ...

i just thought i would post this and see if it helps someone.. its just a simple step take out the card and run the machine see if you get a confirmation num lock light followed by a login sound ...

my next step ... get a Generic Video card and try to see if the computer would show up on monitor !
    if that works first thing .. like the post above says .. take out Hibernation mode .. that is a big cause for computer crashes a lot of times as it cannot come back from sleep mode ....

if that dont work then .. well .. lets c .. theory of deduction one step at a time .. if generic card dont work then buy another temp card to see if that fixes if not then since i have Remote loggin installed just run it without video card and then retrieve data or try to fix it remotely from my laptop.... if that dont work then opt a) run the linux os and try fixing things and deleting files as recommended maybe even just downgrade the driver .... opt b) - take the card to bestbuy and have them replace it ....opt c) swap the hard drive slave them and retrive data ... 

but it was a BIG Relief knowing that the hd DATA is in check and its NOT Really a Cylindrical hd error. thank GOD !
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Hi all, ive got the same problem. I have a Toshiba Equium a200 running vista home premium (or at least it was :0)

I've had it a while now and was getting a few little problems building up so i decided to do a clean install. Im a bit OCD with backing stuff up so i knew i'd not be losing anything!
    Anyways, the install went to plan - everything installed and booted fine. I even managed to install 3 or 4 of the drivers (sound, graphics etc) without any problem and rebooting each time.
    The problem started when i updated the bios (downloaded from the toshiba website). When i restarted . . . . . . windows loading thingy and no life! So I booted in safe mode and, yes you guessed it its stopping on crcdisk.sys

I have tried:
    > Reinstalling Vista
    > Formatting Hard Drive
    > Renaming files (as above)
    > A lot of swearing!

All with no luck. I cant Restore the system because it was a clean install. I cant change the SATA setting in bios because i dont have the option. I don't know how to get into my laptop to reset the bios. I'm stumped.
    The most worrying thing is that althought this thread started 21 months ago, there is still no definitive answer to the problem.
    Not sure what i can do but i thought i'd let you know my situation 'for the record', and hope and pray!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I got HP pavilion dv4 series laptop, after i try to install update it didn't start up.  i try to restore it but i can't. The pc was unable to start. I was just asking if you can help me because you got hp pavilion too. the system was unable to boot up. I can't even run it in safe mode and anything.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:34 PM
  • hey i need your help. If i was unable to start my computer and can't restore it either. If i format the hard drive what will it do to my system. Is it will messed it up and delete everything or i will put it to it original disk.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:37 PM
  • I just fixed this on my PC tonight booting from Windows Vista Ultimate and running the repair utility. Took forever to run. I thought it was locked up at one point, but it finally finished and all is well now.
    Friday, December 04, 2009 5:27 AM
  • Hi guys, 

I just recentely had this problem and read around on a few forums.  I was never able to get to a command prompt so I didnt try changing the file names.  

On a whim I entered setup when I rebooted and checked the disk settings.  

For some reason my disk was set to RAID 0, so I changed it back to IDE. 

Next time I rebooted I was able to Windows restore and everything worked perfectly. Hope this helps someone else, 

• Proposed as answer by Los Santos Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:17 AM
    Friday, December 04, 2009 4:32 PM
  • This is how I got to a prompt.  I booted up with my diagnostics and drivers disk.. I hit F12 when I saw the logo appear..  I chose to boot from CD ROM.  (On my screen you have to watch the screen after choosing to boot from CD Rom..  The monitor prompts you to hit a button if booting from the CD is what you really want to do..

Then I got a screen to choose 1 or Q and i hit the CTRL key along with the C key (this is a process "quit" command... i think).

Then I get a screen to Halt the batch process and I choose Y.

And there you go.. sounds so simple, but I went nuts for 2 days thinking of ways to get into my hard drive..

Now I am going to go and delete all of the files mentioned above to fix my crcdisk error..

Hope this helps you..
     Dina
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:48 AM
  • hi
    i have a sony as well and i dont really know how the whole restore to earliest date thing works - can u give me a more step to step explanation - will really appreciate it - i dont want to lose my data - esp pictures - please help!
    Friday, December 18, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Go to Fry's and buy a harddisk then order a original window DVD then reload window.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 3:45 AM
  • I am a Network administrator for the AF and unfortunately I don't have the luxury of "format, re-install, done" since we use a mandatory ghost image for all AF computers.

I believe this problem should be broken down into the individuals specific problem.

1) A patch from Automatic Updates, SCCM, SMS
    2) Hard Drive Communication Error (SATA ATA, Legacy Mode) (Ghost Images)
    3) Hardware driver conflict (Possibly USB/Firewire) (Ghost Images)
    4) Failing Hardware

I will now address my suggestions/fix actions for each specific problem. I recommend downloading this disk as it will be the helpful solution to nearly all of your problems: Download http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download

1) THE PATCH (Suggestion)

Suggestion 1:
    Boot CD Try and repair it with the Vista Automatic Repair, reboot.

Suggestion 2:
    Boot CD Try to rename the following files via command prompt, I suggest renaming over deleting simply because it leaves the option to go back an fix any mistakes
    - - \windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
    - - \windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
    - - \windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
    - - \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*
    - - \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla
    - - \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*
    - - \windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    - - \windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

Suggestion 3:
    If you are lucky enough to have a restore point, use it. Then turn of automatic updates. Install new patch individually until failure and find out which patch is causing the problem.

2) HARD DRIVE COMMUNICATION ERROR (Fix Action)

Fix Action 1:
    Hit F2, F10, or F12 to into the BIOS (Or slide finger across the function keys), change the SATA mode to ATA or Legacy.

3) HARDWARE DRIVER CONFLICT

Suggestion 1:
    Disabled ALL peripheral Devices in BIOS (Firewire, PCMCIA, USB, Wireless)

Suggestion 2:
    Boot CD, Go to Command Prompt
    a) copy files in directory [windows]/system32/config/RegBack to the directory one level higher in the hierarchy (system32/config/)
    b) done. restart.
    c) if you want, you could copy current files to a temp directory

4) HARDWARE FAILURE

Suggestion 1:
    Slave hard drive to another system copy important data, reload windows. Buy a new hard drive.

Hope this helped narrow down the solutions I saw plus some of my own.

v/r
    SrA Awesome

Tuesday, February 09, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Ran in to the same problem on an HP Pavilion a1730n. (after removing a whole slug of viruses... teenagers!) Tried the above "fixes" to no avail. So.... took it a step further. Built a Barts PE disk. (google it, it's easy) Went to a working Vista SP2 machine and copied all of the following to a memory stick. All .sys files in c:\windows\system32\drivers All .inf files in c:\windows\inf c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla (on SP2 there are multiple versions of those folders, grab all of them) Boot up the broken machine to Bart PE. Get in to the file manager and copy the above files to their respective locations on the hard drive from the memory stick. Not all of the .sys files will be able to copy as some are protected. Just copy as many of them as you can. Reboot and cross your fingers. As the system is booting up, do the F8 routine to boot to safe mode. Don't get too anxious, you'll see the crcdisk.sys appear to hang but just let it sit (let mine sit long enough for a bathroom break). If all goes well the system will start installing Stage 3 of the service pack. That's where I'm at now. As long as that works I should be able to at least get in to safe mode and fix the rest from there.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Finally I have an answer to this problem.  I just had this exact problem with dell Inspiron 1525.  I applied all the tricks mentioned on this forum, nothing fixed it. 

Here is how to get around it and boot your Laptop

go into the bios with F2 key

once in the bios, disable 1394 nic card and nothing else.

reboot and it alll worked fine.

Now I need to install the right driver and make it work without loosing my wireless connection.  Vista home basic With SP2

Saturday, April 03, 2010 7:18 PM
  • After trying everything else, this is what worked for me. I was able to recover Admin/user permissions on the client's laptop (Acer 5920 running Vista Home premium, no SP) and bring the system to stable without restore, recovering all documents, programs and functionality.

Problem:

Windows booted to a black screen with pointer, apparently locking up on crcdisk.sys during boot. Since NSS controls profile/user priviledges, Admin token was lost for the owner's account.

Cause:

Norton/Symantec Security Suite apparently became disabled due to update.

Fix:

Boot to F2 BIOS, change HDD from SATA to IDE.

Result:

This allowed boot into windows and logon, but without Admin priviledges/token. Could not access profile's desktop or change any settings.

Fix:

Reboot. Login to F8/Safe Mode. Start Menu>Run> Type 'CMD' to get to DOS prompt.

Type: NET USER ADMINISTRATOR ACTIVE /y to turn on Admin priviledges.

Reboot into Normal Mode. I now have Admin priviledges.

Reboot to F2/BIOS. Change HDD back to SATA

After that, downloaded & ran Malwarebyes, CCleaner and SpybotSD and removed all trojans, pups, mysearch.com, etc.,

Installed Avast! AV & ran complete scan, installed SP1 and SP2 and all updates. Ran CHKDSK, CLEANMGR, DEFRAG

System is completely stable, fast and secure.

BTW: MS support runs out for Vista on 4/13 unless SP2 is installed! 

• Proposed as answer by Duncandogster Monday, April 05, 2010 3:12 AM
    Monday, April 05, 2010 3:11 AM
  • Fixed it. not a professional but like to have a challenge, my brothers Toshiba Equium, was hanging on crcdisc.sys when booted up in safe mode, tried recovering from his Recovery Disc to no avail, tried all different forums which all confused me when they got too technical.

I rebooted his Toshiba with a Fujitsu Recovery Disc, which worked. I had to update a few drivers, but everything seems to be working fine.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:53 AM
  • Greetings.

I solved this problem using Hirens Boot CD 10.

The problem was a bas sector on my HDD.

I checked my disc with HDD regenerator tool.

I hope it is helpulf for someone

Cheers!!

• Proposed as answer by azimuthazazel Monday, April 26, 2010 6:54 AM
    Friday, April 09, 2010 5:28 PM
  • So, I had the same "crcdisk.sys" issue in safe boot following a failed normal boot getting stuck at the "load bars".

I bought a desktop from Gateway the did NOT include a recovery disk.  After reading this thread I thought I needed that recovery disk and I was correct.

I found that; http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/  posted the torrent url for a recovery disk to assist people that purchased PC from manufactures that do NOT include the traditional Windows OS DVD.  This is FREE to use both the uTorrent and the file to recover a Vista PC.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, step by step....from a working pc with internet connectivity do the following:

1. Downloaded and installed uTorrent from http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/  -- installed it according to their instructions, it's very simple.

2. Started uTorrent and hit the URL link for the Vista Recovery Disk -- uTorrent will find the file and begin the download for you.

3. After finding the "Vista_Recovery_Disc" file in my download file I doubled clicked it.  The file is an ISO file and automatically opened ImagBurn.  ImagBurn is the software tool that I use to burn ISO files to DVD.  Not all CD/DVD burning software programs will burn an ISO bootable CD/DVD so check that your burning software will actually burn an ISO bootable CD/DVD.  Imagburn can be found for FREE at http://www.imgburn.com/ .  If you have never burned a ISO file this is the best FREE product that I have found and it's so easy a "caveman could do it".

4. Placed blank DVD in try and hit "burn" on ImagBurn menue.

5. With Vista_Recovery_Disc ISO bootable DVD in hand I returned to the disfunctional Gateway and booted the machin with my newly burned recovery DVD in the CD/DVD tray.  My Gateway is set to look to the CD/DVD drive first, if the tray is empty the Hard Drive boots second.  This order is determined in the "boot setup".  To change that order of boot devices I am prompted at boot to "F2" and a change boot order menue is presented.  In my case my first boot devise is the CD/DVD so it just continued to load Windows from the ISO DVD I created automaticly.

6. When promted hit "next" until you see the choice to "Repair Computer" and select it.

7. After about 45 seconds I receive a notice that "problem was found" and asked if I wanted to continue with "repair", I selected yes.

8. I was then prompted with a second notice that "repair was sucessful and system is rebooting".  Not wanting to boot to the DVD again I removed it QUICKLY.

9. Booting from Hard Drive begain and I was prompted to choise; Safe, Safe with command prompt, or Normal.  Hoping that I realy did correct the problem I selected ""Normal Boot".

IT WORKED and all is well with no loss of data or privious settings.

All in all it took less than 50 minutes to solve the problem....so what was the problem you might ask?  I have no idea but suspect that a bad cluster was on my Hard Drive and the "crcdisk" checking during a normal boot could not get past it.

Cheers!

Brian

• Proposed as answer by azimuthazazel Monday, April 26, 2010 6:54 AM
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:16 PM
  • I solved this problem using Hirens Boot CD to.

I made a chkdisk and the restarted an everithing is OK.

Monday, April 26, 2010 8:16 AM
  • I'm at a total loss here...

I have tried the following:

Boot normally (hangs on the Microsoft Logo HDD light stays on)

Boot in safe mode (hangs at the CRC file)

Boot safe mode with networking (as above)

Start from a Vista boot CD and tried 'Repair your computer' - doesn't find the operating system which means System Restore is not an option

Tried CHKDSK /X C: - Cannot open drive for access - (cannot even get to drive C: - reports cannot find drive specified)

As a last resort I tried using the 'Install windows' so i could get to the drive formatting screen but i get the message 'Please supply drivers'

Why would i need drivers for a hard disk???

The hard disk can't be at fault as it does attempt to start Windows...?

It's a sealed PC which i can't open as it's under a 5 year warranty so i can't touch the hard disk

So now what???

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:39 PM
  • Please check LBA mode of your bios setting.It must be enabled. Also check if you are using multiple boot system, the hard disk partitions must be enable LBA mode by using Gparted partition software.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 6:34 AM
  • SUCCESS!!!! After trawling the internet for some replacement files I managed to get it sorted in the end. I got the machine to boot from a USB HDD which had Ubuntu 9 then i used a drive repair tool that a guy at work had been working on which told me that although there was actually nothing wrong with any of the start up files the problem was actually caused by the drive not dismounting properly which normally happens when you do not allow windows to run it's shut down routine or it just hangs so you have to reset or pull the plug. It's a clever little program which mimics CHKDSK and re-programs the drive to make it think that the drive has been checked and is ok. So having done all that i restart the computer as normal and we are back in business!!
    Friday, May 28, 2010 9:16 PM
  • please hep guys...Ive been having similar problems to everyone above me...Here is my problem from beginning to end...First when I received my friends computer he said he had a virus on it, so i opened it up looked at it, and nothing out of the ordinary seemed to be happening, so i just proceeded to start with the basics, and it needed a Vista update SP1(which i thought to myself wow thats old why is it just now finding that update)....so I downoaded it and tried to install it and it never does..since it didnt install it stopped booting windows vista entirely, so as computer is booting i press F8 to go to safe mode, safe mode doesnt boot it freezes at "crcdisk.sys"....so i ask him does he have the Vista Recovery DVD, he ends up giving me a Dell Drivers and Utiities disc, and a Microsoft Works 8.5 disc (2005), these do not help, so i boot up with F8 again and go to "Repair your Computer" from the hard drive and try to run a System Restore, the only points to restore the system too are when I actually tried to put the Vista SP1 on it, so I try those it attempts to restore and says it finished and to restart the computer, it still does not boot to windows, instead it goes to the Blue Screen of Death. I now manually restart the laptop and plan to go back to the Repair your Computer option, press enter and it now goes to the Blue Screen of Death saying I should try to boot to safe mode, Since I'm unable to go to Safe Mode due to the freeze at crcdisk.sys and if i try the Repair option it goes to Blue Screen....what can I do?!?!?

if there are any more details that are needed I'll be glad to give them...please help guys.

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Boot with the Windows Vista DVD in the drive, choose 'repair your computer' then choose command prompt then run CHKDSK /f /x c:

replace c: with your windows drive letter if it isn't drive c:

if this doesn't work then you'll probably need to re-install Windows, normally you wouldn't lose anything as long as you don't format the hard disk as your documents, settings, user account, my documents folder, program files and the existing Windows directory will be moved to a new folder called Windows.old so it's a relatively safe option

Monday, May 31, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Boot with the Windows Vista DVD in the drive, choose 'repair your computer' then choose command prompt then run CHKDSK /f /x c:

replace c: with your windows drive letter if it isn't drive c:

if this doesn't work then you'll probably need to re-install Windows, normally you wouldn't lose anything as long as you don't format the hard disk as your documents, settings, user account, my documents folder, program files and the existing Windows directory will be moved to a new folder called Windows.old so it's a relatively safe option

hi ,

you dont need the disk to run diskcheck btw , ... go to my * comp * > right click on a drive and scroll down to - properties - >> tab tools and click - check now - on error checking , flag both options and rebooth the comp

before you reinstall windows there are a few other options that can be used , ...

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 12:04 AM

• hi ,

you dont need the disk to run diskcheck btw , ... go to my * comp * > right click on a drive and scroll down to - properties - >> tab tools and click - check now - on error checking , flag both options and rebooth the comp

You will need the disk if you cannot start Windows using any of the options under F8, re-installing Windows should be a last resort, avoid if possible otherwise you'll have to re-nstall all your programs but other than this you shouldn't lose any documents of personal files
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 5:34 PM
  • I had this same problem  but finally got windows to load. (windows wouldn't boot up, I'd get a progress bar and then the computer would crash.  if I tried to boot up in safe mode it would crash after I saw the crcdisk.sys)

I don't have a recovery CD, or other hard drives to boot up from, so was looking for a no-additional-supplies solution.

I started following the instructions from Duncandogster.  He mentions, "Boot to F2 BIOS, change HDD from SATA to IDE."

My BIOS settings looked a little different… I had to go over to boot menu, then down to SATA options, and I changed that from RAID to IDE.  I honestly have no idea what all that means I was just looking for SATA and IDE.

Once I changed it to IDE, I tried to boot up and I got a little farther in the boot up process, then it asked if I wanted to start windows normally or do the repair option.  I chose the Repair and it ran for about 10 minutes, and then restarted, and I still had the original problem… couldn't get past the loading bar.  

So I went back to the BIOS and changed it from IDE back to RAID and then tried to boot up again.  This time it said something about "checking disks" and it finally booted up all the way to Windows.  

I think it was a combination of finally being able to run the windows repair (with the help of the IDE setting), and then rebooting back with SATA or RAID and that did the trick.

I'm backing up all my files and never trusting MS again.

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 5:59 AM
  • I had this same problem  but finally got windows to load. (windows wouldn't boot up, I'd get a progress bar and then the computer would crash.  if I tried to boot up in safe mode it would crash after I saw the crcdisk.sys)

I don't have a recovery CD, or other hard drives to boot up from, so was looking for a no-additional-supplies solution.

I started following the instructions from Duncandogster.  He mentions, "Boot to F2 BIOS, change HDD from SATA to IDE."

My BIOS settings looked a little different… I had to go over to boot menu, then down to SATA options, and I changed that from RAID to IDE.  I honestly have no idea what all that means I was just looking for SATA and IDE.

Once I changed it to IDE, I tried to boot up and I got a little farther in the boot up process, then it asked if I wanted to start windows normally or do the repair option.  I chose the Repair and it ran for about 10 minutes, and then restarted, and I still had the original problem… couldn't get past the loading bar.  

So I went back to the BIOS and changed it from IDE back to RAID and then tried to boot up again.  This time it said something about "checking disks" and it finally booted up all the way to Windows.  

I think it was a combination of finally being able to run the windows repair (with the help of the IDE setting), and then rebooting back with SATA or RAID and that did the trick.

I'm backing up all my files and never trusting MS again.

hi ,

you should have made a back up long time ago , dont trust your self ! lesson learned , windows has a back up option , use it to an external drive and to lets say D , this way you are sure .

now , before you go off on MS , find out as to why and what happend so it can be prevented in the future , .... click the link onecare below in my sig and do a full scan , note that you should do this overnight and you should not use your comp while it scans m close all apps that are not needed like sidebar , email , etc , ....

good luck !

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:27 AM
  • I have the same problem with a VAIO Z16GN/B. My windows stops loading at the bar with "(C) Microsoft Corporation. I tried safe mode, safe mode w/ prompt, safe mode w/ networking and they all froze at crcdisk.sys >.> I also tried to use the Vista 64-Bit Ultimate disk to repair my computer but it goes "windows is loading files" and when it is full it goes and loads the Vista Bar that says "(C) Microsoft Corporation". Also tried a Windows 7 disk to see if I could format the HDD and it froze when the coloured balls come together to show the windows sign.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Update - I left the PC turned off for a couple of hours and it has now
    booted. On booting it ran a chkdsk on drive d: (second physical hard drive)
    and found faults in the MFT. I have hundreds of Event ID 57 volsnap "The
    system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur." in
    the system log. Not sure if this is the source of the problem, although I
    can't now remember if I reformatted this second drive prior to installing
    Vista. I did enable snapshot on this drive a few days ago, so it seems like
    a possible culprit. I have disabled the snapshot service on this drive and
    disabled write caching on both drives and will monitor over the next day or
    two.
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:42 AM
  • I have to say, this was the last thing I was willing to do. I actually had a WinPE disk setup and off loaded the entire hard drive.  Then, I said, well, I ought to try it.

It worked. No idea why at this point.

It happened to a friend's computer after a couple of updates.  So, it is worth a try if you have off loaded your files and have nothing to lose.

Thanks Maxy3D.  

Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I have been working on the same problem with my friends Toshiba.  As this problem has only been reported by laptop users and no desktops, I had a thought and it worked.  Go into your BIOS and change the SATA mode to "Compatibility" instead of "AHCI."  I did this and Windows started normally.  I am going to install the latest Service Pack and switch it back... I will report back after that is completed.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 5:14 PM
  • i have this same issue and followed the post bellow but i hooked the drive up to a usb device so the disk can hook up to my normal desktop and another drive but it wont let me delete the files as it says i dont have permission

in responce to

As I explained earlier the only way I found to access the disk was to use one of those SATA to USB adapters.

Do a SATA to USB adapter search and you will come up with all kinds available.  I just did it and this is one of the first ones up:

http://insidecomputer.stores.yahoo.net/seatasatousb.html

Then you should be able to hook that hard drive to a USP port on your XP machine and get access to the files:

Microsoft said to delete the following files.  They were not all on my drive but that fixed the problem.

Friday, July 30, 2010 3:59 PM
  • I have the same problem as above, after doing the Updates wk 8/2010. How can I get to my c/:promt to get my files off, when nothing from safte mode or start up works.. I get as far as  "crcdisk.sys"

Help !

And thanks

Sunday, August 08, 2010 12:57 PM
  • The best way to sort out this problem is by re-installing windows (any version) to resolve any problems there are on the machine.

Adam

Sunday, August 08, 2010 4:13 PM
  • I had this same problem and could not boot into windows.  I tried alot of the software fixes mentioned here, but nothing worked.  I found out that it was a corrupted sector on my hdd.  I found this out by taking the disk out of my notebook and hooking it up to a usb hdd adapter and plugging it into my good desktop.  I ran the drive manufacturers hard drive utility (in my case Western Digital Lifeguard) and it found many non-repairable errors.  I was able to retrieve alot of my data, and I guess that some of the boot info was on a corrupted sector.  I bought a new hdd and reinstalled windows, now all is good.

So, see if some of the fixes mentioned here work for you and, if so, good.  But don't forget that it may be a harddrive or hardware error and you would have no choice other than to salvage your data and replace the drive.

Cheers

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Well, I also had this CRCDISK.SYS problem (just recently) on a Vista 64b.

Lucky me, I had Ubuntu 10 installed via WUBI. I booted Ubuntu and searched for CRCDISK.SYS files, and the active one was not the most recent one (2006-ish). In a strange directory I found a 2008-version of CRCDISK.SYS. Copied the 2008 into \windows\system32\drivers, et voila, system booting again.

Very strange, but I hope this helps...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:49 AM
  • right guys referring to the first problem posted i know how to overcome this!! turn your computer on, hold F8  key, start windows with debugging mode and leave for about 2 days, your computer will start up exentually and once it does you've cracked it! so simple!, i come accross this cure by accident, i forgot to turn my laptop off!

Friday, September 10, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Has anyone else had any success with booting up via debugging to avoid the crcdisk error?
    Saturday, October 09, 2010 12:47 PM
  • I've had the same issue for two days now.

My solution actually happened by accident. In the DOS Prompt, I accidently deleted the files within the folder windows/system32/config/.  Then after that I ran Start-up Repair on the boot disc, and this time it actually did work, whereas the boot disc wasn't able to repair the situation earlier on.

I hope this helps other people who are still running into the same problem.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:24 PM
  • I've had the problem on a Sony Vaio laptop (Vista Home Edition OEM) for 6 days now. Many people talk of booting from a DVD to recover data on the C drive BUT Sony never provided a boot DVD disk and I cannot seem to find any such thing on the web (maybe not looking in the right place). Can anyone help me find such a disk?

Also, trying the F8 and debugging mode solution attempt described above... guess we'll see if this works in a couple of days...

10/25 "F8 and debugging mode" did nothing...waynus84 got lucky! At least someone did :)
    Friday, October 22, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Man, misery loves company!  Windows Vista truly stinks!  This latest big automatic update did mine in.

All I figured out so far is how to recover some of my files from the laptop.  I have a SATA hardrive on a dell inspiron 1545.  I am able to easily remove the hard drive from the side of the case.  I bought a "Rmovable hard disk box" on ebay, and stuck my drive in it.  I then hooked up the box to another computer (you have to use both big usb connectors on the computer!) and was able to read much of my harddrive.  I was able to copy my Itunes file onto the new computer, for instance.

Now, about the old fried laptop....I am waiting for a new hard drive to show up in the mail and I will reinstall the dell system disks on it, and hope that resurects it!

Monday, October 25, 2010 10:52 PM