none
Backups failing 0x81000037 Windows 7

Question

• Hey guys my backups are constantly failing with an error of :

The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037).

I have tried different destination for the backups and I cannot figure out why this is happening.
    Anyone else encounter this?

-mi
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:11 PM

Answers

• I found what caused this problem in my case - I was using a work around to add a network folder to Libraries.
    Replacing my link to network folder with a folder stopped the error.
    Of coarse it also removes my network folder from the libraries but perhaps there is another way to cure that

R.Peters
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:05 AM

All replies

• Update: I noticed that at the very end of the backup the Volume SHadow Copy Service was being stopped but the reason I have no idea. So basically backup not working at all for me.
    -mi
    • Proposed as answer by dewane21 Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:23 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 1:15 PM
  • I too get this error - the logs give no clue (mostly no entries).
    This was a clean RC 64 bit install and backups had been working.

Need to be able to fix this so that backup works again!
    R.Peters
    • Proposed as answer by bluegill Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:54 AM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:31 PM
  • Checking the events for VSS gives the following

Express Writer error: failed while adding express writers from directory System.
    Operation:
    Initializing Writer
    Gathering Writer Data
    Executing Asynchronous Operation

Context:
    File Path: C:\Windows\Vss\Writers\System\
    Execution Context: Requestor
    Current State: GatherWriterMetadata

Error-specific details:
    Error: CreateFile("75DFB225-E2E4-4d39-9AC9-FFAFF65DDF06.xml"), 0x80070002, The system cannot find the file specified.

R.Peters
    • Proposed as answer by Pecast_cz Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:28 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:17 PM
  • I found what caused this problem in my case - I was using a work around to add a network folder to Libraries.
    Replacing my link to network folder with a folder stopped the error.
    Of coarse it also removes my network folder from the libraries but perhaps there is another way to cure that

R.Peters
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:05 AM
  • I too am having back-up problems.  Whetn I run the back-up, it hangs about half way through during a shadow copy process.  It never moves past half way status.
    I'm attempting to back up to a network location wirelessly.  I assume this should work.  Am I mistaken?  Is there a way I can use the Win 7 back-up utility to back-up to my wireless network?

Thank you!
    • Proposed as answer by Dr Ron Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:36 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Damn, same problem here, but with a "normal" external disk (it's divided in two partitions, NTFS and ext3). I don't know what's wrong with that...

Emanuele Bellini
    • Proposed as answer by BigD66 Monday, December 12, 2011 6:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 8:57 PM
  • I suspect it may be a similar problem.
    What led me to locate my problem were the threads that showed that the RC has permission problems doing a backup - evidently it is not allowed to authenticate the connection.
    Persumably any time it hits somewhere that needs special permission or has to log in it will fail.

Assuming it is this problem it is supposed to be fixed in the RTM.

R.Peters
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Backup fails here too! It reports an error code 0x80070005 for a backup location to my Netgear NAS. Copying the files by hand gives me no problems. I am curious what's going on here!?
    • Proposed as answer by JackeeVan Monday, April 04, 2011 8:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Hi,

in my case it is the antivirus software (eset nod32).
    When it is disabled, backup works like a charm. When it is enabled, I get exactly the same error you described.

Bye.
    Michael.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hi,

When it is disabled, backup works like a charm. When it is enabled, I get exactly the same error you described.

Bye.
    Michael.
    Friday, June 05, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Hi,

Bye.
    Michael.

That is interesting because I use NOD32! I will try this. SO what do you do disable the anti virus everytime you have a backup scheduled?
    -mi
    • Proposed as answer by Pembo210 Sunday, June 05, 2011 3:36 AM
    Monday, June 08, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Same here. Running build 7100. I see the problem whenever I try to run Backup (get's stuck at 7% forever - canceled after 8+ hours).

• Using backup I get the entry twice with about 30 seconds inbetween.
    • Making a manual restore point works but produces the same error log entry.
    • Manual creation of a system image works put produces the same error log entry 4 times.
    • Tried disabling my AV (avast!)
    • Tried disabling Live Mesh
    • Uninstalled CVSNT which had a non-compatible system panel.

So far nothing helped. The Windows disk scan showed no failue.

BTW, "the entry" is exactly the same over and over again and exactly the same file as R_J_P saw. So it is unlikely that we both have bad sectors effecting the exact same file.

Anyone found & fixed the problem meanwhile?

/Sven

• Edited by Sven Semmler Monday, June 29, 2009 11:52 AM formating
    Monday, June 29, 2009 10:58 AM
  • Same problem here.  According to the MS article here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455) apparently the problem seems to stem from adding extra folders to your library..??  I did do that.  I have a 500GB system drive but then I have a 2TB storage drive that I keep all my documents, media, etc. on.  As such, I added my D:/folders into their respective libraries and was pretty pleased with the result as it added those directories and their files nicely to the Music, Documents, Vidoes, etc. folders. 

But now it seems that's the cause of the Backup problems..??  Looks like I'm gonna have to stick with SyncToy.  :(
    Friday, August 07, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

There a a couple of reasons we have seen this happening other than genuine shadowcopy read errors as reported by the troubleshooter.
    1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/973455/. This does not happen if you add any extra folder to a library. It happens only if a reparse point or a child of a reparse point is added to a library.
    2. Antivirus/Antimalware reporting some bad files and holding locks for those files. Backup fails when it tries to backup these files. For this, please remove the bad files reported by the Antivirus/Antimalware and rerun backup.
    I suspect that your problem is number 2. Can you try these options and let me know if one of them solves the problem for you?

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:35 PM
  • I was having this problem for two days, and for me the solution is to disable the antivirus while the backup is working. No problems now.

I think that the antivirus blocks the access to some files.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:12 PM
  • Hi All: I'm having the same problems with Win7 Pro RTM. I have Security Essentials installed, set to scan once a week (Sunday) at 2am, performing a "quick scan", and there are no quarantined items.

I have two 700-gig internal SATA drives, one is the primary drive (with about 150-gig of data) and the other is solely for backup. I have "Let Windows Choose" for the backup settings, and under "review" the backups are for "all users" and "system image"...no network folders or anything like that. Backups are scheduled for every day at 10pm.

The backup fails around 17 minutes after it starts, with the "windows backup error code: 0x81000037" message.
     In the backup log, event ID 4104 is logged and the error is:

"The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037)."

The event details say:

Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037)
        37000081E30500003F0900005B090000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000

Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Disable the real time protection of Microsoft Security Essentials and try to make the backup manually, Make backup now or something like this. If the backup makes without problems...
    • Proposed as answer by Lew Holley Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:00 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:51 AM
  • Disable the real time protection of Microsoft Security Essentials and try to make the backup manually, Make backup now or something like this. If the backup makes without problems...

Thanks Tomas: That seems to have worked, but now of course I'm getting warnings that my computer is not secure because Security Essentials is not in "real time" mode.

What is recommended? To leave "real time protection" off?
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Hi jmbsppro,

We have seen this issue occur only if backup has included a file / folder that is reported as malware / virus. Please clean your machine / exclude this location from backup. Your backups will succeed. You do not need to disable protection.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by GrahamI Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:24 AM
    Monday, November 02, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi jmbsppro,

We have seen this issue occur only if backup has included a file / folder that is reported as malware / virus. Please clean your machine / exclude this location from backup. Your backups will succeed. You do not need to disable protection.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Sneha,

I am also having the same problem : "The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037)."

I am also using Microsoft Security Essentials.  I tried turning off Real Time Protection, but this did not resolve the problem.  Security Essentials says the my notebook is OK.  There are no files or folders that have been "detected" or "quarantined"

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and I'm trying to backup to a Netgear NAS.  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

JaxGuyWestside
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Hi JaxGuyWestSide,

If that is the case, your error could be due to a different root cause. Can you zip and email the contents of <<SystemDrive>>\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup to sneham_at_microsoft_dot_com(Remove underscores and replace words with characters wherever applicable)?

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Having same problem. Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7600, volume C: capacity is 640 GB plus external 2 TB backup drive, Security Essentials Real-time Protection turned off.

Backup operation with recommended settings takes nearly 2-3 days (yes, much more than 50 hours!), produces more than 200 GB of data in more than 1000 zip archives, and always failing with code 0x81000037
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:34 PM
  • bb_mbs,

It took awhile, but Sneha figured out what was happening to my backups.  I use VitaKey (a fingerprint reader) which locks alot of the files so they cannot be moved or copied.  So the fix was to not backup the apps_data folder for each user.  Here are Shena's instructions for doing that.  Give it a shot... it may work for you.

Launch backup and restore center
    Click on Change settings.
    Select the same target and go ahead and choose ‘Let me choose’.
    Expand the user node and expand ‘Additional locations’ further.
    Uncheck ‘Appdata’.
    Save settings and exit.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:25 PM
  • I just tried to do a backup  to a network share and it failed giving me a " Windows backup failed trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up.  Please check the event logs for any relevant errors.  Error code 0x81000037

Checking the application event logs lists a event ID 4104.

I do not have security essentials installed!
    I do not have Vitakey
    I do not have any anti-virus or anti-spyware installed (yet)
    To my knowledge I have not added any folders to my library (I don't even know how or what a library is in this context).

No entries within an hour before the following

1:00:48 Event ID 4648 A Logon was attempted using explicit credentials
    1:00:58 Event ID 4104 Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up 
    1:01:19 Event ID 4634 An Account was logged off
    1:01:23 Event ID 1001 Windows backup failure
    1:01:31 Event ID 4648 A Logon was attempted using explicit credentials 
    1:03:31 Event ID Special priviledges assigned to new logon
    1:03:31 Event ID 4624 An account was successfully logged on
    1:03:31 Event ID 4634 An Account was logged off
    1:03:59 Event ID 7036 Volume shadow copy service entered the stopped state
    1:04:53 Event ID 7040 BITS service changed from auto start to demand start
    1:05:56 Event ID 4 Virtual Disk Service Stoped
    1:05:56 Event ID 7036 The Block Level Backup Engine Service entered the stopped state
    1:05:56 Event ID 7036 The Virtual Disk service entered the stopped state
    1:06:59 Event ID 7036 The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service entered the stopped state

If it matters, and I mention it because of the logon security audits that occured just before failure, I was logged on locally and I accessed a file shared on the domain and had to use my domain username password to access the file.

Friday, November 20, 2009 12:52 AM

• Hi P5-133XL,

Can you zip and email the contents of <<SystemDrive>>\Windows\Logs\WindowsBackup to sneham_at_microsoft_dot_com(Remove underscores and replace words with characters wherever applicable)?

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:47 AM
  • same issue for me- Windows 7 32 bit german- external !TB Disk by USB (segate)
    0x81000037
    I have security essentials running
    my library... dont know if I have some ... added- done nothing special or fancy- in any case should be possibility to figure out that by tool.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 11:28 AM
  • Hi HannesPreishuber,

As pointed out above, the error could occur if you have an Antivirus running which holds a lock for files that are included in backup. Can you check if the AV (Security Essentials in your case) shows any virus infected folders that are part of backup? If so, please correct / quarantine them and retry backup.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT] 
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Same problem. Namely that Backup fails after about 15 minutes with error  0x81000037.
    I am running Windows 7 ultimate on new PC.  I am saving to a NAS.  I can save a few documents but that is about it.
    I have tried shutting down the security service and turning of my anti-virus  ie  Webroot.

I then tried ensuring that there were no references in any of the libraries pointed at the NAS.

I am now running to the end of options.  I just get a "Check your backup" message but no idea why this is not working.   Doesn't give me to much faith in a Restore!!

Thanks
    Muzz
    • Proposed as answer by nats45 Tuesday, December 01, 2009 6:39 AM
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:20 AM
  • Hi guys,

Adding to the list of possible causes that I have stated above, we also saw that an application called 'VitaKey' caused backup to fail with this error. In case you have this, please turn it off and retry backup.

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I found out what caused the problem for me so maybe this helps for you, too: In the files I wanted to backup was one for which my antivirus software denied acces because it seemed to be malware. So check your antivirus reports if a virus/malware was found and access was denied and delete this file (or do whatever you think is right) prior to the next backup. Disabling antivirus software in my opinion is not the best way...

Nevertheless, it would have been helpful if windows gave some more information about which files it could not backup...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:22 AM
  • That's interesting - because the only thing Microsoft Security Essentials found this morning (that were threats) were two files on another drive - not the C: drive, which is the only drive I'm trying to back up.  Once I disable Security Essentials "real time" protection the backup worked.  But this doesn't appear to be a good solution.  MSE should be aware of MS backup's presence and adjust for that.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:27 PM
  • Windows 7 Retail 64 bit.

Getting this error when doing backup of just my Libraries.

No recurse points, running MSE and it has never detected an infected item...but I have disabled real-time protection anyway to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Jonathan W Topping
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Windows 7 Retail 64 bit

Getting the error too. It started when I was using Vista. I upgraded for the sole purpose of being able to backup...my mistake. I have also tried backing up with HP Easy Backup and Acronis backup. Neither worked. I would be interested in knowing how widespread this problem is.

Mark E. Smith
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:18 PM
  • I didn't try backing up just the libraries, but I also get the error when backing up all the system drive's files (not a system image) unless I turn off Microsoft Security Essentials.

I also have never detected an infected item.
    Monday, January 04, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037).
    Hi,
    got the same error and found the source:

I do use Commodo Internet Security, a firewall/antivirus software.
    I also tried exit this software before starting a backup. Didn´t help.
    What did help was to delete a few files in its quarantine section.
    After doing so, the backup procedure finished its work nicely.

Hope this helps others.

edit: just noticed, same solution as for GeorgeC. same postings above...
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:02 PM
  • As R.Peters mentioned in his answer, in some cases this has to do with how Windows 7 libraries, network drives, and the backup process interrelate.

Situation
    In my case, long before backing up my PC, I added a folder of pictures and videos to Windows Media Center libraries. I was already storing them on my NAS, which i had mapped as a drive and given proper permissions - easy peasy.

Complication
    When i went to set up backup, i checked 'backup user libraries'.  When the backup runs, it does not like trying to back up a library that has content on the NAS/Drive you are attempting to backup to. Resulting in 0x81000037 and some other errors and warnings in the event log.

Fix
    1. You can stop including folders and files on your network drive as part of your windows libraries (under library properties), then backup as normal. This will backup/protect the contents of your libraries that arent on your NAS.
    OR
    2. You can leave folders on your NAS as part of your library, and change your backup settings to not include all/any of the particular libraries that have shared drive content in them. This is probably best if most of your critical content is out on your shared drive anyway.

Hope this helps!
    • Proposed as answer by CeeEss Monday, February 15, 2010 1:21 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:20 AM
  • HI Everyone, I am having this problem. Please note I do not know programming. It took me forever to find the event log so any replies need to be very specific about where to go and what to do. I get the same error. I started my backup about 2pm and it failed somewhere around 6pm. I get the same shadow message and numbers everyone else has. I do not have security essentials to my knowledge (searched and found nothing by that name) or vitakey. I have no viruses or anything on my computer. This is a brand new one, as is the external I'm trying to use. I see something in the log that talks about a fault bucket error type 5, whatever that means. I have added a folder to the library. Let's see -- don't know what else to add except I'm stumped.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:39 AM
  • I had exact the same problem. Microsoft Security Essentials found coupe of "trojan files" during backup. I deleted those files but backup keep failing anyway. As soon as I disabled Real-time Protection in  Microsoft Security Essentials -  backup ran successfully. Then I turned Real-time Protection back on.

I'm sure that error related to antivirus locking files.

Friday, May 07, 2010 5:09 AM
  • Hi jmbsppro,

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]

I had the same issue: I have always selected "Clean Machine" whenever Microsoft Security Essentials has reported malware so I don't think there should be any known malware on the PC; the backup failed with a 0x81000037 error message when real time protection was running but the backup ran to completion when I turned off real time protection (also disconnecting the Ethernet cable). 

Looks to me as though Microsoft has some work to do to make sure the components of its security suite play nice with one another.

Friday, June 18, 2010 10:23 PM
  • i once seen a post on the internet that stated to right click on your C: drive, go into properties and go into the security tab and change the permissions to bypass the 0x81000037 error code. it actually worked for mE when i attempted to back up my files, but i was wondering if that could affect any other files/ folders in the drive?
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:04 PM
  • I too getting error: 0x81000037.  

I am using Comodo Internet Security Premium.  I also have UBCD4Win installed which Comodo kicks off about false positives.  

I think the AV was locking the files somehow.  I disabled AV & Defense, as I am sure it's a false positive, & retried backup.  It worked this time.  I will scan computer with AV & submit files to Comodo so hopefully they'll update their definitions.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 11:13 PM
  • I am running into the very same issue specified here.... I'm working on cleaning up a Buddies Dell Tower, and tried for the third time to backup his system but continue getting this very same error Ox81000037 With the statement about the "shadow volume" etc etc... I went to the error reporting section in the Admin Zone and it basically stated the same, though no real "Report" there as such other than "Backup Failed..."

This system is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and has the Microsoft Essentials Anti-Virus... I'm trying to send the backup to an "external" drive, connected via USB obviously... the drive was selected as a destination, and appears to be working fine. I created a rescue disk, and did the drive image... but it just won't complete a backup. Gets about 75% of the way through and then terminates with the above info...?

The only thing I could think of is perhaps the DELL service center tools are interfearing in some way...? Would not be ther first time a pre-loaded tool caused an issue or error.

Any information would be most helpful, I'm not a programmer but have a fair grasp of the situation from reading the rest of the thread, none of which seems to be pertinant besides the same error... and similar background.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:14 PM
  • Adding to the above thread... I just ran yet another attempt, and got the 0x80070001 Incorrect Function error this time, not the above error...??? So I don't know if that is an improvement or a further slide down the rabbit hole?? Still not allowing the backup to complete, although if you view the hard drive... the requisite volume has been absorbed for its placement? Whether that is an actual backup or just a corrupted incomplete form is another matter...

Again, any assistance on this issue would be most appreciated- Thank You

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Same error:

"The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037)."

I haven't disabled Microsoft Security Essentials but I also have no quarantined files.

Is there a useful log file that shows what files were skipped or caused the problem? My previous software (Backupmypc) did this but I when I open up the Windows backup log file (WindowsBackup.1.etl) with notepad it's gibberish.

I'd go back to my old software but it has Windows 7 compatibility issues.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Moral of the story, don't mount a drive as a folder and use it or its subfolders in a library. Mount it as yet another flaming drive letter to add to the letter soup that mounting drives was supposed to eliminate as Windows 7's Backup gets really confused over what has been being done in Unixland for decades.

You'll run for a couple of weeks with your libraries working just fine, and finally notice that no backups have been occurring, various utilities like PC Doctor start telling you you're sinking and various antivirus programs start eating your brain.

0x81000037

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455/en-us <-- if you can figure out the Reverse Polish Notation that is Reparse Points, maybe this will make sense.

Basically, reparse point is a jacked name for mount point. After wading through the document that gets tossed in your direction whenever you mention failed backups and 0x81000037, after digesting the thing and removing reparse points from all your libraries, you find that MS Backup gets a lot further along until it hits the directory that you have mounted your secondary internal drive using a "Reparse Point" and dies. The drive is mounted as C:\mountdir, but what you see MS Backup trying to back up is C:\subdir\ instead of C:\mountdir\subdir\ which tells you that MS Backup cannot even properly backup secondary drives attached to mount points.

So, if you install a second drive in your Windows 7 system, and it offers you to set it up with a drive letter or to attach it in a directory,always give it a drive letter! Or find backup software that can actually do backups...

This has got to be the goofiest and most obtuse chunk of language I've read from Microsoft in the past month:

A file or directory can contain a reparse point, which is a collection of user-defined data. The format of this data is understood by the application which stores the data, and a file system filter, which you install to interpret the data and process the file. When an application sets a reparse point, it stores this data, plus a reparse tag, which uniquely identifies the data it is storing. When the file system opens a file with a reparse point, it attempts to find the file system filter associated with the data format identified by the reparse tag. If a file system filter is found, the filter processes the file as directed by the reparse data. If a file system filter is not found, the file open operation fails.

So, when MS Backup hits one of these, it essentially collapses, the file open operation fails because it is one directory level out of whack and it dies with the famous boohoo hex number.

Funny how everything else is doing just fine accessing data on this drive...

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I've spent weeks trying to find why my Windows Backup fails within the hour. It's always been error code 0x81000037 and mostly event 4104. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a new Gigabyte motherboard. The length of time before crash is variable, but always crashes within the hour. I've NOW DISCOVERED the cause and workaround.

Symptom:    Windows Backup fails on the change of hour.

Cause:         Gigabyte SmartRecovery/SRFilter is scheduled to run hourly. It deletes the VSS files.

Workaround:    Disable the batch process SRFilter for the duration of the backup.

Hope this may help someone.

Monday, September 06, 2010 3:25 AM
  • Cause:         Gigabyte SmartRecovery/SRFilter is scheduled to run hourly. It deletes the VSS files.

Workaround:    Disable the batch process SRFilter for the duration of the backup.

Gah, that's it!! Thank you! How do you temporarily disable SRFilter? I ended up launching Smart 6, clicking Smart Recovery, and unchecking "Enable".

Now that my backup has completed I'm going to give Gigabyte a piece of my mind.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:32 AM
  • I use Comodo and after removing the files in quarantine, the backup succeeded.

GFC-00599, Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:21 PM
  • I have been having the same problem but I found it was my anti virus stopping the backup because I have a few files that get detected as a virus but there are not. But when the backup service copied the files over the anti virus system stops the backup service and denies access to the backup drive. So turning off the anti virus software fixes the backup
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:37 AM

Thanks Tomas: That seems to have worked, but now of course I'm getting warnings that my computer is not secure because Security Essentials is not in "real time" mode.

What is recommended? To leave "real time protection" off?

The same thing happened to me. I turned real time protection off and the backup started working.

Question: Is there ANY way of automatically turning real time protection off for Security Essentials just prior to the backup scheduled?

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 12:01 PM
  • Thank You ! I disabled it through Smart6 and now Win 7 backup FINALLY works......!!! Gigabyte MB, Win 7 premium 64-bit.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Hi jmbsppro,

Thanks,
    Sneha
    [MSFT]

Hi Sneha: Coming back to this thread after a long absence. I don't have/never had any folders/files that Defender reports as malware/virus.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:53 PM
  • Disabling McAfee Real Time Scanning fixed this problem for me.
    Friday, November 05, 2010 5:20 PM
  • I was able to solve this problem by running Microsoft Security Essentials in full scan mode (not quick mode).  This identified 4 different malware files which MSE had automatically quarantined.  I selected the option to delete the files & then finally was able to successfully complete the backup without the  0x81000037 error.
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 4:32 AM
  • None of the above solutions worked for me; however, this is how I fixed my backup issue.

1. Open Windows Event Viewer. 
    2. Find the last Windows Backup Error in the Application Log.
    3. Read the Information Level message right before the Backup Error message.
    4. The Event data was always the following.

C:\Program Files\GIGABYTE\Smart6\Recovery\SRFilter.exe Files\GIGABYTE\Smart6\Recovery\SRFilter.exe" /GBSMART6 -kdl Windows Backup 00000000720200006C02000000000000324656A39CF1B5C9010000000000000000000000

So it looks like Gigabyte's Smart 6 Recovery System Restore program keeps starting up as Windows Backup is running. Well, I did not even know that this was installed and running and I definitely do not want it running now so I opened Smart6 config tool and turned off System Restore. I reran the Backup and then viola. It worked!

It seems that Microsoft's backup tool is sensitive to various machine state, therefore, there are probably many ways to cause 0x81000037. So if you haven't already, start looking for clues to as to what might be choking the backup.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:45 AM
  • What other backup programs are good? I'm through with this turkey.

I want to back my files up, not get engaged in a complex debugging exercise!

I see Microsoft has not changed after all these years.

Flakey, unstable, inconsistent, undependable software.

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:03 AM
  • On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 03:03:51 +0000, gwkimball wrote:

What other backup programs are good? I'm through with this turkey.

My personal favorite of backup programs is Acronis True Image.

Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 8:58 PM
  • What other backup programs are good? I'm through with this turkey.

I want to back my files up, not get engaged in a complex debugging exercise!

I see Microsoft has not changed after all these years.

Flakey, unstable, inconsistent, undependable software.

I fully agree, you'd think that by now they could afford to maybe do something like TEST their stuff before pushing it out.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:54 PM
  • This is SO ANNOYING! Brand new computer - no corrupt files - new software that is supposed to make backups easy. This error message keeps coming up and I have no idea how to deal with it - tried all the obvious things - turning off firewall, virus scan and closing all other programs etc. and it still doesn't work.

Like you say, as users all we want is to back up files and not waste countless hours trying to resolve Microsoft problems. Why can't Microsoft sort it - we paid them plenty for the privilege of using their software?

Monday, January 31, 2011 3:39 PM
  • At first, I thought it was the McAfee Security Suite caused the backup process failed because it was upgraded two days ago.  Well, I tried to disable the McAfee Security Suite but still got the same error.  Then, I tried to create a system image but the usual destination (the drive, D:, and the folder) was not available.

It turned out that I installed a new software onto the D: drive instead of the C: drive.  Therefore, the system image or the shadow copy of the backup could not be on the D: drive any more.  After I uninstalled and reinstalled that software on the C: drive.  The backup went through and stored onto the usual destination, the D: drive and the folder, without problem.  Thanks.

Friday, February 04, 2011 3:38 AM
  • worked tank you  very much  tomas c
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:48 PM
  • Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up.

Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037).  Also Microsoft Security Essentials is getting: Exploit:Java/CVE-2009-3867.MZ

How can this be fixed and what is causing it to happen suddenly?

Friday, February 18, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Yes, I found the malware directory as show in security essentials, deleted the files, excluded that entire directory from the backup and now its running :)
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 12:16 AM
  • I just deleted my cookies and the backup completed successfully.
    • Proposed as answer by tmski23 Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:53 PM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Not sure it this would help anyone... but here is what happened to me with regard to my backup error 0x81000037 in Windows 7 64bit.  It is an series of converstation from my emails I had with Microsoft Technical Support, I forget which department as this issue spanned a few weeks. 

It did seem to solve the problem though.  I'm on my second night with my backup... and no error 0x81000037

From my email coorespondence with Microsoft....

Hello Zeba,

As a further note… I did a “full” scan under Security Essentials prior to the Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware scan and prior to the backing up.  Security Essentials found about a dozen plus of Java/CVE-2008,2009,2010…etc, etc.  Security Essentials removed them.  Malwarebytes’ found 2 items, not related to Java.  They did not look like serious  threats after researching them.  But, Malwarebytes’ removed them also.

I backed up last night, and did not get any “Check your backup”, etc, etc.. error.  It seems as though the backup is working now.  I will continue to monitor the status… as I backup every night.  I have left real time protection under Security Essentials on.

-mp

Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:33 PM
    To: 'Zeba Rahman'
    Subject: RE: Online scanner

Hello Zeba,

I have done as you asked in the previous two email below.  I will be doing a backup this evening to see if the procedure you asked me to do has resolved the backup matter on my PC.  It has also been suggested in various post on the web that I turn off real time protection in the settings tab of Security Essentials.  Do you or anyone in your office have any thoughts this?  I will first try the back up this evening to see if the matter is resolved before a I turn off “Real-time protection” under Security Essentials.

I will be in contact.

Thank you,

Michael Palmisano

Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:01 PM
    To: ME

Subject: 

Hi Michael,

This is Zeba Rahman with Microsoft Windows Technical Support. 

I am following up regarding your Windows service request XXXXXX.  Here is an outline of the steps that we agreed upon during our call:

Problem Description:
    Malware Infection

Action Plan:
    Please perform Quick scan in "safe mode with networking" and check if this resolve this issue.

My goal is to ensure that your experience with Microsoft Windows Technical Support leaves you pleased with our products and services.

I appreciate your patience  throughout the chat session. Incase if you have any queries please reply, I will be happy to assist you further.

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you.  If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, Jayakrishnan, my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.  You may reach my manager by sending an email to  v-2jakr@mssupport.microsoft.com

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Technical Support.
    Sincerely,
    Zeba Rahman
    v-2zera@mssupport.microsoft.com
    Windows Technical Support.

*When replying please include your SR number, name, email address and phone number.  Thank you.*

Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 6:45 PM
    To: ME

Subject: Online scanner

Hi  Michael,

This is Zeba Rahman with Microsoft Windows Technical Support. 

Please follow these steps.

Please boot to "Safe Mode with networking"

Turn ON the computer and keep tapping -F8- to get the Advanced Boot Options

Use your arrow keys to select -Safe Mode with Networking  from the list and press ENTER.

1.Please download Anti- malware Tool using this link: http://tinyurl.com/clqhfs.

2.Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.

3.Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.

4.When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button.

5.MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically update itself after the install, you can press the OK button to close that box and you will now be at the main program as shown below.

6.On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform full scan option is selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for Antimalware Doctor related files.

7. MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the image below.

When the scan is finished a message box will appear as shown in the image below.

You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the Antimalware  removal process.

You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should click on the Show Results button.

A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.

You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine

Select qurantine tab and then click "Delete all".

Restart the computer to check with the status.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Technical Support.

Sincerely,

Zeba Rahman

v-2zera@mssupport.microsoft.com

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:26 PM
  • I believe it a way to make us discusted with Microsoft and look for an alternate solution.

If the software is smart enough to spit out a stupid error code that means nothing to the youser don't you think it should be smart enougy to fix the problem and complete sucessfully.  Microsoft dosn't want it to work!

Sunday, March 06, 2011 3:46 PM
  • I figured it out.  I basically read all teh threads and pieced together info form different strings.  SO here goes:
    -I was getting the same Shadow message as everyone else here.
    -I also read that you had to make sure all Malware files were gone prior to doing the back-up.
    -I was doing this, but one thing I noticed each and every time I did a back up was that Microsoft noticed a security threat DURING the backup.  So it was a catch 22.  i would eliminate, but the backup would trigger this threat, and the file would go back in queue.  The threat I had was for a JAVA update.  So in actuallity the app. was harmless.  But it still needed to GO. 
    -Anyways, I do a full scan within Micorsoft security essentials , and by doing that Microsoft picked up and another JAVA app.  It looke dto be the original perpetarter.  By eliminating this file, I eliminated the otehr one that kept popping up everytime I starte dthe back up.
    -ALso for good measure I eliminated the previous backup file that was created, as I didn't want any overlap.
    -Problem solved.  I hope this helps someone.

Monday, March 07, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Same problem here.  According to the MS article here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973455) apparently the problem seems to stem from adding extra folders to your library..??  I did do that.  I have a 500GB system drive but then I have a 2TB storage drive that I keep all my documents, media, etc. on.  As such, I added my D:/folders into their respective libraries and was pretty pleased with the result as it added those directories and their files nicely to the Music, Documents, Vidoes, etc. folders. 

But now it seems that's the cause of the Backup problems..??  Looks like I'm gonna have to stick with SyncToy.  :(
    You can get around this by changing your backup settings to exclude the library folders but include the hard disks, this way all the information is still there but windows wont have the library linker problem.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:12 AM
  • I was having this problem and tried everything suggested and nothing worked. I was finally able to get it to work by going to the backup drive (external USB drive) with Windows Explorer and deleting the file created by a prior backup.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 11:42 AM
  • I use Comodo internet security

When i excluded the COMODO folder (C:\Program Files\COMODO) from backup,  the backup completed successfully!

Monday, April 11, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Disabling my Antivirus did it for me. Anyways, here are the informations collected for this problem:

Information
    ===========
    The backup was not successful. The error is: Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy on one of the volumes being backed up. Please check in the event logs for any relevant errors. (0x81000037).

Problem:
    ========
    Antivirus/Antimalware reporting some bad files and holding locks for those files. Backup fails when it tries to backup these files.

This issue occurs only if backup has included a file / folder that is reported as malware / virus.

Solutions:
    ==========
    Solution 1 :  Disable antivirus while doing the backup
    Solution 2 : Use SyncToy
    Solution 3 : Remove the bad files reported by the Antivirus/Antimalware and rerun backup.
    Solution 4 : Clean your machine / exclude this location from backup. Your backups will succeed.
    Solution 5 : Right click on your C: drive, go into properties and go into the security tab and change the permissions to bypass the 0x81000037 error code

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:49 PM
  • I ve just bought a Lacie external hard disk ( ITB) and I got the same error. Also, LACIE Genie Backup doesn't finish and always stops by unexpected error as follows:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Backup
    Date:          4/23/2011 5:30:12 PM
    Event ID:      4104
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      *****************
    Description:
    The backup was not successful. The error is: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D).
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Backup" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">4104</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-23T14:30:12.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>21818</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>**************</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)</Data>
        <Binary>5D040780E30500003F0900005B090000420ED1665C2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Please help!

Thanks

Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:07 AM
  • I figured it out.  I basically read all teh threads and pieced together info form different strings.  SO here goes:
    -I was getting the same Shadow message as everyone else here.
    -I also read that you had to make sure all Malware files were gone prior to doing the back-up.
    -I was doing this, but one thing I noticed each and every time I did a back up was that Microsoft noticed a security threat DURING the backup.  So it was a catch 22.  i would eliminate, but the backup would trigger this threat, and the file would go back in queue.  The threat I had was for a JAVA update.  So in actuallity the app. was harmless.  But it still needed to GO. 
    -Anyways, I do a full scan within Micorsoft security essentials , and by doing that Microsoft picked up and another JAVA app.  It looke dto be the original perpetarter.  By eliminating this file, I eliminated the otehr one that kept popping up everytime I starte dthe back up.
    -ALso for good measure I eliminated the previous backup file that was created, as I didn't want any overlap.
    -Problem solved.  I hope this helps someone.

I had this EXACT issue. 

it was in the java "cache" folder in my appdata java folder.

inside the cache folder are numeric folders such as 50, 51, 60, 64 etc.  i would start a backup and folder 58 would hit a snag and security essentials would report an issue. Backup would fail, log pointed right to the file in question once i hit "show details" so i deleted the culprit, then folder 52 would do it, then folder xx.. so at that point i just shift deleted the entire cache folder entirely. no snags or access issues deleting, once the folder was gone restarted backup. cant say for sure if its going to complete. but its already gone longer and farther than it ever has before. (im doing this right now as i post)

i thought mine was an isolated issue, im glad to see someone has the same thing, even boiling down to the java folder as the issue.

i also turned off auto protect as a precaution, althought i dont like that as a fix. If this works im going to try another one with it back on.

• Proposed as answer by BajaPaul Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:49 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 2:53 PM
  • just to follow up on this the backup completed no problem.

took forever as it was 250GB but it went through without a hitch.

backing up to NAS

Friday, April 29, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I was backing up a Vista SATA drive (from a dead laptop) in an external USB enclosure with Win7 on a working laptop before I sent the dead laptop and its hard drive off for service.

I got the 0x81000037 error and searched the MS Support site and tried KB Article ID: 973455.  I found plenty of JUNCTION lists but couldn't find any "Mounted Volumes" to delete.

After scanning the answers here I deactivated McAfee and MS Security Essentials Real Time Protection. The backup finally completed successfully! 

My take:  skip the KB article and try diabling your AV first.

Thanks to all who suggested disabling the AV!

Regards//Stargzer

Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:32 AM
  • This was my solution!  I had a virus embedded in C:\Users\Paul\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\49  Deleted all the files in that directory and viola!  Backup works! 

MSE was reporting Trojans in these files as in this exact same directory so it was easy to locate!

Category: Trojan Downloader

Description: This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the Allow action and click Apply actions. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the security administrator for help.

Items: file:\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy68\Users\Paul\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\49\73190831-402f1032

Turning off your Antivirus program is not the solution!  You really don't want to be backing up a bunch of viruses!

• Proposed as answer by steinmarder Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:51 PM
    Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:56 PM
  • Hi,

Bye.
    Michael.

That is interesting because I use NOD32! I will try this. SO what do you do disable the anti virus everytime you have a backup scheduled?
    -mi
    This was it for me. I had a virus that ESETNod32 couldn't clean. Every time the backup would get to the file, ESET would come up and the backup stopped. Disabled Real Time protection, now it works. Will have to remove infection some other way...
    Joe P
    Sunday, June 05, 2011 3:45 AM
  • I had the same problem, I followed the recommendation fo disabling the Antiirus  software and it worked.

I use Microsoft Securitt Essentialsa and all I did is turn off  Real-time protection.

Thanks for the help.

cid

Friday, June 10, 2011 6:17 PM
  • I had exactly the same warning.

Could you validate the infection, or was this simply a "false positive" based on some heuristic algorithm.

Unfortunately, I removed the file for good, so no chance to run it through some different (online) scanner.

I agree, turning off real-time-protection is NOT the solution!!!

Removing files identified as malware is....

Saturday, June 18, 2011 12:54 PM
  • I have tried all of the above and it still doesn't work..

Complete waste of time once again Microsoft strikes again

Installing Acronis

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:17 AM
  • Hello!

After having had problems running Windows Backup for months, I stumbled across this thread and acted on the AV tips.

Astonishingly simple enough, all it took was disabling ESET Smart Security 4's "Antivirus and antispyware" components.

Now my Windows Backup is happily in progress again, which I haven't seen in a long time.

I would guess that real-time file system protection stuff interferes with Windows Backup in some way.

It would be great to learn how to work this out so backups can run automated on their schedules instead of having to disable protection and run backups manually.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:50 PM
  • mine was set to Manual, which I presume means it went through its entire startup process (which takes a WHILE) and then failed. lame

Saturday, July 02, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Had same problem.  What worked for me was to run a FULL virus scan which caught a few things and eliminated them.  After that backup ran fine, although it took more than 12 hours!
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 4:16 PM
  • This was my solution!  I had a virus embedded in C:\Users\Paul\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\49  Deleted all the files in that directory and viola!  Backup works! 

MSE was reporting Trojans in these files as in this exact same directory so it was easy to locate!

Category: Trojan Downloader

Description: This program is dangerous and downloads other programs.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the Allow action and click Apply actions. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the security administrator for help.

Items: file:\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy68\Users\Paul\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\49\73190831-402f1032

Turning off your Antivirus program is not the solution!  You really don't want to be backing up a bunch of viruses!

I had the EXACT problem and couldn't figure out where to even begin to look until I found this thread.  I had been backing up for over a year without a problem like this so I knew something had changed behind the scenes and didn't think it was wise to disable my antivirus to get it working again.  Letting MSE delete the offending files fixed the problem and my backup is running now.  One should NEVER disable your security/antivirus to get around a problem like this...those that do are just backing up the virus or trojan!!!  Thank you all for the help.  Just wish Microsoft could give better error messages so that we don't have to go hunting for clues where to look for the problem.  I had no idea what to do about a Shadow problem!!!! 

Cindy

Monday, July 18, 2011 9:25 PM
  • I have tried all the solutions above and in other threads, I'm sure they all helped but I kept getting 0x81000037 error UNTIL I found this:

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

I solved the very same problem by installing a partition manager (Easeus's Free one) and enlarging the standard 100 MB hidden boot partition to 300 MB (any value under 500 MB will do). That was accomplished by shrinking the C partition by 200 MB, moving it up over the unallocated space created on the right (in a linear representation of partitions starting with the hidden one to the left). Then the unallocated space "moved" to the left so I could expand the hidden boot partition.
    It appears that Shadow Copy cannot work properly if available space on any drive is less than 40%.

Maybe this worked because my downloads, music, pictures folders became too large for shadow copy to process in the 100mb partition? Whatever, the 300mb partition has cured it for now and if Backup fails again in future I can extend it some more.

Best wishes, Tim

Monday, August 15, 2011 9:23 PM
  • GWKIMBALL: Until you get your windows backup fixed-------------(I had win 7 problems too)-order (not the free) MACRIUM REFLECT BACKUP PROGRAM. I used to just do usual backups like user files etc---------after a few computer failures, I've started doing IMAGES only. A complete snapshot of your computer is essential for a good RESTORE--------Please take my word for it. Images also allow you to "MOUNT" them as another drive and you can copy files from the image if you have lost them etc. My current computer hard drive failed after 4 mos. from new. Luckily I had a current IMAGE from Win 7 Backup only 4 days old. The computer repair took 3 days (Special mail-order Harddrive and the RESTORE took me 45 minutes. Hooray for the WIN7 Image I had made. Laptop Harddrives today come out with just a few screws in about 2 minutes!!
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Ken Blake: Just to make it easier on youself-------I tried ACRONIS 2010 AND THE ACRONIS 2011, and another called PARAGON 9---save yourself all that trouble -------I have MACRIUM REFLECT BACKUP and Win 7 64 bit------all LOOKS GOOD, WORKS GOOD, AND EASY TO OPERATE--YOU'LL LOVE THE GUI. The program tells you exactly what it is going to do after you set up your backup.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 2:33 AM

Thanks Thomas,

That did it for me.

Turned it off, did backup (no errors) and turned real time protection back on in Microsoft Security Essentials.

One would think Microsoft could figure this out, since Windows Backup and Security Essentials are both from Microsoft.

Best Regards,
    Lew Holley

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:07 AM
  • No.  Turn it back on, once your backup is complete.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:09 AM
  • I have the same issue with the shadow copy error on a Windows 7 machine that was backup up fine for months. I have been following this thread for several weeks, making Full Image backups which work, while looking for a solution. These are the steps I have taken (running backup after each alteration.

Ran avg and Removed malicious and suspicious files

stopped avg live scanning service and stopped e-mail  scanning service

removed avg completely from memory

checked all junctions from command line- None were mounted volumes

removed old or bad  backups from backup folder

Ran Disk clean up

Changed service SSP from manual to automatic and restarted the Volume Shadow copy service

There is no fingerprint scanner on the machine or anything unusual. There is mapped drives to the file server. The backup is saved on an external USB drive attached to the file server.

I have printed out the log files in the past but can't locate them right now and don't have access to the machine right now since it's not my machine and the owner has need of the machine. This is at a business setting  and I don't know what to do next. Any thoughts?

Peg

• Edited by PegBry Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:40 PM
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Thank goodness for this post!!!!  My issue was identical; down to the Java numeric folder.  I thought I was going to go crazy finding the answer as my backup had been working since I got it in 12/10.  It just suddenly stopped working with that error about a month ago.  I also wish that the error being thrown was a little more intuitive!  Thanks everyone for posting.  -k
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:18 PM
  • I also tried the Java resolution on the machine, with no success.

I now have a second machine with the same issue. I need a solution for this. Any new ideas?

Peg

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I got this error message when I included other user's directories in the backup. Now the backup is working again when I include only directories owned by the current user. I believe the backup tool doesn't have access to other user's files, even though the current user has administrator rights.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:08 PM
  • After having this problem for a few days, I was able to get my backup to work. From reading my event logs, I think the backup was failing because my laptop came with Office 2010 Starter installed. For some reason, Office 2010 created a partition on my C drive  (named Q drive) that you can't access even with administrator privileges. Windows Backup wasn't able to access this volume and thus the backup failed.

So, after I uninstalled Office 2010, the Q drive was removed and the backup eventually worked.

You would think that Microsoft would have tested their products to ensure this sort of problem didn't occur. You would also think that after complaints about the backup application (a quick google search shows that people have been having this problem for years!!), Microsoft would have fixed this issue. What should have been a simple, quick operation took me days to fix. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Hey guys my backups are constantly failing with an error of :

I have tried different destination for the backups and I cannot figure out why this is happening.
    Anyone else encounter this?

Jean

Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:14 PM
  • A bug in Windows Backup will not allow you to make a backup beyond a reparse point. This bug is known to microsoft and will be addressed in due time.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:29 PM
  • I have tried all of the above and then some. My issue is slightly different: I've got 20+ GB free on a 250GB source drive. BTW Backup was working fine for a while. I get the same error message 0x81000037, but my observation is that my source drive HD space goes down to zero and that's when Backup fails. The event log tells me nothing. My guess is that backup is recursively creating compressed files on the source drive but I can't tell why or what files may be causing it. I've also been unable to find the temporary folder/files backup is using in the process. I also noticed that once backup fails, it does not release the HD space - I'm at zero until I restart the machine.

Please help.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1 - HP Z400 Workstation - All W7 updates installed

I'm recieving the following error:

Error code: 0x81000036

I can manually create a system image but cannot scheduled a backup. I am writing to a locally attached hard drive. I tried sharing out a folder but still receiving same error message. Completely removed all AV applications but still same issue. Anyone have an update on this error?

Thanks!

Dave

Monday, April 23, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Thanks, Sneha.

I temporarily disabled Norton Antivirus and backup runs fine now.

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:03 PM
  • I got 0x81000037 error every time I tried Windows 7 backup. Then I tried to cleanup everything around backup and it didn't help. According to forums I tried to find reparse points and junctions and then I tried to backup only few directories (not whole drive, no Libraries etc., only one small directory).

At the end it looked like the backup is successful only with some small directories being backed up. After all I checked events in eventlog from vss (volsnap) and I found error with exceeded size of shadow copy storage.

So I changed the size of shadow copy on C: using: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /for=C: /maxsize=6GB    and everything now works allright.

• Edited by Pecast_cz Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:42 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:40 PM
  • I had the same error messages, and found the advice in this forum very helpful.

Specifically, Microsoft Security Essentials was detected an infected file and blocking access by Windows 7 Backup, so Backup quit with the error.

Yes these two Microsoft products could learn to play more nicely together, but in the short run cleaning all viruses before running Backup solved the problem.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Hi there mi23! 

I got the same exact problem. I fixed my back up tool by activating the necessary services relating to the back up process. 

Go to Start Button>Administrative Tools>Services. Scroll down and look for "Volume Shadow Copy" and "SPP Notification Services". Double click on those and configure them to either run "Automatic". Then, start the services by clicking on the "Start" button. 

If you are having trouble doing your system restore too, then, you can also activate the "RPC" services. 

This did the trick for me. Now, I was able to carry out my back ups.

Let me know if this tip helped you.

Thanks,

• Proposed as answer by Tweakerz Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hello!

I was suffering from this same problem for months and I was finally able to find the root cause (at least in my case) and solve it!!!

I do have McAfee anti-virus package installed and actually I can't even disable it because it's a corporate laptop and the anti-virus management is all password protected. However, I found out that it was quarantining a 6 files and 5 of them were actually located inside the shadow copy that the backup was trying to access.

Once I permanently deleted all 6 files in the quarantine, voilá! The backup went all the way through again without any errors and I'm a happy user again :) (at least until I need a restore and find out that Windows backups can't be restored when it's needed the most)

Anyways, just thought it was worth to share it.

Good luck!

• Proposed as answer by David Lum Monday, July 16, 2012 12:34 PM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 5:06 PM
  • As Eduardo found, the solution for me was not to disable antivirus, but to remove the files which had been quarantined. While Backup was running, two things quickly happened on my screen:

a. Microsoft Security Essentials suddenly reported that it has quarantined a new virus.

b. Backup stopped running, presenting the famous error code 0x81000037.

The bad virus was hidden deep in a series of folders created by Oracle's Java, which is normally not scanned by my AV software.

So backup had an added bonus: it indirectly helped me find bad stuff. Too bad MS does not document this in an appropriate error code when backup is run.

Best wishes...

DavidLum

Monday, July 16, 2012 12:34 PM
  • I found the solution to my problem was to uninstall an application which I had installed. The application was included on the motherboard Driver/Utility CD which was provided with my Gigabyte Motherboard. The particular application was called Gigabyte Smart 6. What lead me to conclude this was my issue was the Event Log for Applications.

If you notice in the attached screen shot just before the error occurs there is another entry which contains information relating to a System Restore. The detailed information shows that the GBSmart6 application is also utilising the Windows Backup Service to perform its functions at same time I am wanting to run my scheduled backup. After uninstalling the GBSmart6 software from my computer the Backup worked perfectly.

My issues may not be the same that any of you face but one thing to check is that you do not have any 3rd party Sync/Copy/Backup applications installed on your computer that could conflict with Windows Backup.

To my benefit I had only just performed a clean install of Windows 7, drivers and a few applications including MS Security Essentials.
    • Edited by kdugdell Saturday, August 11, 2012 3:29 PM update
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 3:26 PM
  • In my case this backup error was caused by something in the Java cache folder in AppData. I deleted everything from the Java Cache folder (a bunch of numerically named folders) and the backups started to work again,
    Monday, February 18, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Thank you Sneha.

VB Developer

• Proposed as answer by RichMNY Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RichMNY Sunday, April 14, 2013 7:41 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:27 AM
  • In my situation my weekly Windows Backup kept failing shortly after Microsoft Security Essentials notified me of a detected potential threat, the following entries show what was recorded in the Windows Event Log by both of these programs.

Event 4104, Windows Backup:

Event 1116, Microsoft Antimalware:

Microsoft Antimalware has detected malware or other potentially unwanted software.
     For more information please see the following:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&name=Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-0507&threatid=2147655229
      Name: Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-0507
      ID: 2147655229
      Severity: Severe
      Category: Exploit
      Path: file:_\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy11\Users\UserAccount\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\23\7c06aed7-300c43bd->hw.class
      Detection Origin: Unknown
      Detection Type: Concrete
      Detection Source: Real-Time Protection
      User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      Process Name: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
      Signature Version: AV: 1.147.1265.0, AS: 1.147.1265.0, NIS: 18.160.0.0
      Engine Version: AM: 1.1.9302.0, NIS: 2.1.8904.0

Initially, I disabled Real-time protection in Microsoft Security Essentials to confirm that this program was interfering with the successful completion of Windows Backup.  Next I reviewed the event logs and found that the threats were found in either the Temporary Internet Files or Sun Java caches in the Volume Shadow Copy created by Windows Backup.

The solution that worked for me was to empty both my Temporary Internet Files and Sun Java caches.  Afterwards I no longer received any notifications about potential threats being detected from Microsoft Security Essentials and my Windows Backup completely successfully.

I also routinely check the History tab in Microsoft Security Essentials and remove all detected items.

• Proposed as answer by Bota1 Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:45 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bota1 Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:45 PM
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 8:11 PM
  • I should just point out that there is no excuse for Microsoft Security Essentials to prevent Microsoft Backup from running.
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:00 PM
  • I've been using Windows since before it even had a backup program. I've never found anything, including Windows Backup that was bullet proof, and of all the stuff on a computer, that's one that needs to be.
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:24 PM
  • Well, I observe that this thread has been going on for 4 years and 2 months and the same incompatibility problems between Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Backup are still there. I wouldn't be on this thread if the same problem hadn't occurred to me today.

Backups are usually scheduled to run when the computer isn't in use. Exploit files can appear at any time, and Microsoft Security Essentials quarantines them without notification. That means that quarantine can happen at any time, and therefore the backup can fail at any time. Disabling AntiVirus generally is a ludicrous suggestion.

I was in the software business for 30 years before I retired, and if ANYTHING threatened the integrity of our customers' data, we put our best people on the problem and stuck with  it until it was fixed.

Backup is one of the most essential parts of any computer system. Is is mission critical, and for it to fail, and to fail in a known way, and to fail for 4 years is simply not acceptable. And what is also unacceptable is for software designed for home users to fail with undecipherable and totally useless error messages.

Stupid stuff like this overshadows all the other cool stuff Microsoft does.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:54 PM
  • And here I am with same error code on Nov 13, 2013 and no clear path to fixing it so I can backup my C drive.

I just want a bootable image file of my C drive so I can recover from a major failure. 

none

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:18 PM