none
Corrupt Windows 7 System Image...

Question

• Hello All,

My questions relate to my RAID 0 dev box having 1 of it's disk decide to go on vacation permanently.
    Well I thought, lucky I had made a full system backup image just a couple of weeks back. That was until I found out that after taking 48 hrs to restore the image onto my new hard disks (yes a new RAID 0 configuration), the system would not boot even after running the automated system repair utility several times.

So, the current situation is that I have my files restored onto my new hard disks, but I can't boot into Win 7 because some of the files are corrupt.
    My main concern is for my secure data. This I kept in a directory that was accessible only by my Admin account on that instance of Windows 7.

When I use the Win 7 DVD to boot into a command prompt,I can see the directory but I can't access it's contents for obvious reasons.

To my questions:

i) Is it possible for me to install a new version of Win 7 and either gain access to my secure data files from the directories restored to my new drive or from the system image backup? If so, could you provide the basic steps or a link to a relevant document?
    ii) Is it possible to check the validity of a system image backup without actually having to restore the image?

Thanks,

ArchieD :-)

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:59 PM

All replies

• Using a software RAID is not a good idea.

Unfortunately your secure files are locked out. Hope you have a working backup.

My advice, abandon the software RAID and use a single disk and use the second disk daily for backups.

If you want RAID, get a controller. RAID is for servers, the software RAID is begging for trouble.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:48 PM
  • Hi 'Vegan Fanatic',

Thanks for the feedback. My original problem was that the system backup that I did make was/is corrupt. Unfortunately I didn't find that out until I had actually tried to restore from it.

Do you know if a system backup can be checked without restoring it?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:09 AM
  • If you want safety. Use disk cloning, I have a page on my site, how I copied my Windows disk.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:55 AM
  • Just a little update on this issue.

I have managed to get access to the data that was 'protected' by ACLs from the Windows system backup that wouldn't boot.
    What I did was install a new version of Windows 7 over the version that was restored from the system image backup and that wouldn't boot.
    This left my data directories intact.
    Having installed a new version I logged in as an admin, opened Windows explorer and tried to access the directories.
    Windows informed my that I did not have access rights to the respective directories, but would I like to proceed and gain access. A simple click of the OK button and about 2 minutes later, hey presto, I had my data back.

I'm one happy-chappy at present. Now onto trying to fix the corrupt Windows image.

Feedback/questions/suggestions are still most welcome.

ArchieD :-)

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Good to see you got you files back. As I have said time and time again, software RAID is begging for trouble. When a software RAID dies, the OS is down so the array dies with it. A controller does not need an OS.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Thanks for your help Vegan.
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:32 PM