none
Windows Vista to Windows 7 Upgrade issue

Question

• whilst upgrading from Vista home premium to windows 7 home premium, i get the error message;

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

* There is not enough free space to store temporary Windows installation files. Try using Disk Cleanup, uninstall old programs, or move files to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following features:

* Windows Mail is no longer included in Windows; however your e-mail files and settings will still be available after the upgrade. To send and receive e-mail you will need to install a new e-mail program. You can get e-mail programs from other software manufacturers or from the Microsoft website.

* Windows 7 Parental Controls no longer includes the Web Filtering and Activity Reporting features. You can get similar Family Safety programs from other software manufacturers or from the Microsoft web site. 

yeh, when i run the windows 7 upgrade advisor, i get the following...

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
    Computer Name: JASONSMITH-PC 
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 
    Manufacturer: Packard Bell  
    Model: EasyNote TJ65  
    CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz 
    Memory: 3.0 GB 

Information about upgrading to 32-bit Windows 7
    System Details 
     Upgrade options available You can upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate. 
    Go online to get detailed instructions on how to upgrade 
     Windows Mail and Parental Controls (Web Filtering) These features are no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers. 
    Go to the Microsoft website to learn more 
     More info from Packard Bell  Packard Bell has a website that might give you more information about getting Windows 7 running on your PC. 
    Visit the Packard Bell website 
     Windows Aero support Your graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface.
    Go online to learn more about Windows Aero 
     CPU speed: 2.0 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement. 
     3.0 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 1 GB minimum requirement.  
     162.5 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 16 GB free space for 32-bit Windows 7.  

Devices Status Details 
     Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter
    Atheros Communications Inc. Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Broadcom Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Conexant High Definition Audio
    Conexant Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI
    Intel(R) Corporation Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
    Intel Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C
     Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller
     Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Intel Corporation Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 

Programs Status Details 
     CyberLink PowerDVD 8
    version 8.0.2803.50
    CyberLink Corp.  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
    Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo 
     Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
    version 12.0.6215.1000
    Microsoft Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
     Microsoft Silverlight
    version 3.0.40818.0
    Microsoft Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
     Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
    version 9.0.21022
     Norton 360
    version 3.5.2.11
    Symantec Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
     Video Web Camera
    version 1.7.23.310
    Chicony Electronics Co.,Ltd.  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
     Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
    version 2.0.3001.0
     Windows Live Essentials
    version 14.0.8089.0726
     Adobe Reader 9
    version 9.0.0
    Adobe Systems Incorporated Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English)
    version 12.0.6215.1000
    Microsoft Corporation Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Microsoft Works
    version 9.7.0621

Information about upgrading to 64-bit Windows 7
    System Details 
     Custom installation required You'll need to perform a custom installation of 64-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin. 
    Go online to get important information about custom installation  
     Windows Mail and Parental Controls (Web Filtering) These features are no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers. 
    Go to the Microsoft website to learn more 
     More info from Packard Bell  Packard Bell has a website that might give you more information about getting Windows 7 running on your PC. 
    Visit the Packard Bell website 
     Windows Aero support Your graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface.
    Go online to learn more about Windows Aero 
     CPU speed: 2.0 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement. 
     3.0 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 2 GB minimum requirement.  
     162.5 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 20 GB free space for 64-bit Windows 7.  

Devices Status Details 
     Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter
    Atheros Communications Inc. Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Broadcom Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Conexant High Definition Audio
    Conexant Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI
    Intel(R) Corporation Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
     Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C
     Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

Programs Status Details 
     CyberLink PowerDVD 8
    version 8.0.2803.50
    CyberLink Corp.  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
     Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
    version 12.0.6215.1000
     Microsoft Silverlight
    version 3.0.40818.0
     Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
    version 9.0.21022
     Norton 360
    version 3.5.2.11
    Symantec Corporation  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
     Video Web Camera
    version 1.7.23.310
    Chicony Electronics Co.,Ltd.  This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
     Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
    version 2.0.3001.0
     Windows Live Essentials
    version 14.0.8089.0726
     Adobe Reader 9
    version 9.0.0
    Adobe Systems Incorporated Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7. 
     Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English)
    version 12.0.6215.1000
     Microsoft Works
    version 9.7.0621

one is clearly telling me i cant upgrade, while the other (incorrectly) is telling me i cant.. any solutions, or ideas?
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:24 AM

All replies

• i realise thats a tad unclear.. but for an install that needs about 16gb of free HD space.. when i have 169gb of space available, there is definately something not right here.. it worries me somewhat that the INSTALL is buggy, makes me question how secure the operating system is, if the install is this poor... =/
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:29 AM
  • Let find out exactly what you have:

-Click on "Start" => "All Programs" => "Accessories" => "System Tools" and finally "System Information"

-Double click on "Components", "Storage", and then just click on "Drives"

-Once "Drives" is highlight, information about each drives will be displayed on the right

-Click on "File" and then "Export".  You will be prompted for a "File name:".  Just enter "DriveInfo.csv"

-Open the "DriveInfo.csv" file and copy the information and send it.  This way we can see exactly what is going on

Thanks.

Friday, November 13, 2009 5:40 AM
  • System Information report written at: 11/13/09 23:23:13    
    System Name: JASONSMITH-PC    
    [Drives]    

Item    Value
    Drive    C:
    Description    Local Fixed Disk
    Compressed    No
    File System    NTFS
    Size    223.12 GB (239,571,300,352 bytes)
    Free Space    162.19 GB (174,145,318,912 bytes)
    Volume Name    OS
    Volume Serial Number    143801F0

Drive    D:
    Description    CD-ROM Disc

Any other information that might help?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 11:27 PM
  • If hibernation is turned on, then turn it off.

-Go to command prompt using administrative privilidges and type:  powercfg -h off  (Release space)

-Check System Protection to verify if it is on.  Right click on "My Computer", click on "System protection", and verify if Protection is set to "On" for "Local Disk (C).  If it is, verify the amount of space being used.  Turn Protection off.  This will release a lot of space.

Also check out this link I have posted earlier:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/a0d6d1b1-b8b9-4c4d-afcf-7a82a4c20e71/

-Re-run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Let me know your progress.

Thanks
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:18 AM
  • ok, well i did all that, although when typing the powercfg.exe etc part into the command prompt, i got no confirmation that it had worked. on the other hand, Hibernation is no longer on the shut down options.. also going My computer-> System Protection does show any options that tell me whether hibernation is on or off for my C: drive.. then again, even if this saves me a few GB of data, would it make that much difference when i already have 165gb of free HD space?

tried to reinstall windows 7 after doing the above steps, without confirmation of the hibernation being shut down, and had the same problem again..the stand alone upgrade advisor from the windows downloads site, tells me everything is ok, no problems and my laptop is ready for immediate upgrade.. where as the compatibility check from the windows 7 install disc is telling me i dont have the HD space to install temprory install files.. they contradict each other, none of this makes much sesnse..
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:44 PM
  • ok,. im not sure if this is relevant or not.. but i clicked custom install, and the installation doesnt even seem to FIND my C; drive.. perhaps thats the problem its having when i use the upgrade option?

it detects no drives, no external rives (obviously) and when i try and select C: drive from the drop down list, it tells me it cant install to that drive =/
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 12:03 AM
  • If it can't find drives or no drives are displayed you can start the installation from the dvd. Set your BIOS to boot from DVD drive  and wait for "press any key to boot from dvd" messege. Press any key to start the installation.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:02 AM
  • -The Windows 7 Advisory tool has detected the following SATA controller:  "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

-Boot your laptop into BIOS.
     Verify if there is a "SATA Controller Mode Option:".  If there is, then change it to "Compatibility".
     This "SATA Controller Mode Option:" is usually set to "AHCI" by default.

-If the "SATA Controller Mode Option:" is set to "AHCI", then you will not be able to access the Hard Drive even if you boot from the Windows 7 DVD-rom.  Making the above changes should fix the current problem.

Thanks.
    • Edited by shgtss Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:44 AM
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:05 AM
  • Boot your laptop into BIOS.

The Windows 7 Advisory tool has detected the following SATA controller:  "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

Verify if there is a "SATA Controller Mode Option:".  If there is, then change it to "Compatibility" .

If the "SATA Controller Mode Option:" is set to "AHCI", then you will not be able to access the Hard Drive even if you boot from the Windows 7 DVD-rom.  Making the above changes should fix the current problem.

Thanks.
    im not an expert at this stuff im afraid, any chance of a slight more simple break down, please :P
    although i assume to change my boot device priority, ill need to go to the system options while the Laptop is booting and change the boot order?
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:42 AM
    1. You will need to access your laptop BISO.  Usually "Del", "F1", or "F2" depending on the manufacturer of you computer
    2. Once in the BIOS, look for an option that will let you configure your devices.  This is usually "Config" or "Advanced" depending on the provider of the BIOS
    3. If your BIOS is from Phoenix, then the configuration of the SATA should be available on the "Main" menu
    4. If you enter the BIOS and the following appears:  Config, Date/Time, Security, Startup, Restart, and Etc, the choose "Config"
    5. In either case, Press "Enter" to change the value of "SATA Controller Mode Option:"
    6. If you can get into BIOS, then you can also send me what you see and I will try to guide you from there

If your laptop can boot from the DVD-Rom currently, then you don't have to change the boot order.  Leave it as is.

Thanks

Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:20 AM
  • right, for SATA optiions i have IDE and AHCI.. AHCI being the default.. i tried changing to IDE to see what would happen, resulted in the laptop rebooting before ever getting to the desktop and then demanding a system restore.

as for the boot device order, i set DVD drive to boot first, but was never offerd the option to boot from DVD/CD while restarting.. oddly..
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:46 AM
  • That's why I didn't recommend changing your SATA options - only because those mode otions are dependant on the type of drive you have.
    Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Jason15ju,

1.     For "SATA Controller Mode Option:" If "Compatibility" is not an option to select, then don't chose IDE.  Leave as is.  You will need an updated driver for that specific SATA controller.  After setting it back to AHCI, verify that you can boot into Windows.

a.     You may want to update your laptop BIOS (Confirm this with your laptop manufacturer)

b.     After the BIOS update has been completed, boot into BIOS and very if "Compatibility" is an option, then select it and reboot.  Verify that you can boot into Windows Vista.  If not leave the BIOS unchanged, then proceed with the updated driver installation, if available.

*If "Compatibility" is an option, then the following information will be displayed when logging on to VISTA (Information Varies depending on laptop manufacturer)

Only a qualifying driver will display the information below.  Some laptop will just make

adjustment and then ask you to reboot without displaying any information.

(Ability to switch between AHCI and Compatibility)

=============================================================

Intel(R) ICH8m 3 port Serial ATA Storage                      Finished, restart required

Controller - 2828

ATA Channel 0                                                                    Finished, restart required

ATA Channel 1                                                                    Finished, restart required

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-U10N ATA Device                Ready to use

HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 ATA Device                    Finished, restart required

=============================================================

Restart your laptop

2.     You will need to contact you laptop manufacturer for the latest driver*.

3.     If you choose "Custom" to perform a clean install (Backup your data), you will need the updated driver to perform the installation anyway.

4.     You cannot perform an upgrade by booting from the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD*

Note:  Not all Windows 7 Upgrade DVDs are bootable (verify that your current DVD is bootable)

5.     If your Windows 7 Upgrade DVD is not bootable, then the upgrade will need to be performed from Windows Vista that will require a qualifying updated driver for both VISTA and Window 7

Note:  The reason why the Windows Upgrade Advisory is stating that there is not enough space is because it cannot properly query the Had-Drive using the current driver.

Options:

1.     If you have a bootable Windows 7 Upgrade DVD-Rom, then you can perform a clean installation

a.     Backup all of you data

b.     Boot with the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD (if bootable)

c.     Choose "Custom (Advanced)"

i.    When the "Where do you want to install Windows?" appear, you should be able to see you hard-drive.

ii.    If your hard-drive does not appear, then you have to load the qualifying driver for Windows 7 by clicking on "Load Driver"

iii.    After loading the driver, you hard-drive should now appear.  Click on "Next"

Note:  Whether you are running a "Custom (Advanced)" installation from Windows VISTA or from a Bootable Windows 7 DVD, all data will be wiped out.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:44 AM
  • Hi shgtss thanks for helps, I have the same problem, my pc infected  virus Backdoor TIDSERV REQUEST 2 a57990057.cn , can not removed because BSoD 
    (here http://www.symantec.com/connect/fr/blogs/tidserv-and-bsod)

I have to upgrade to remove the infected driver, and get above problem, this problem was solved by change CMOS AHCI ->Compatibility
    Thanks you shgtss
    Monday, March 01, 2010 2:19 AM