none
Windows 7 stuck in reboot loop

Question

• Hi,

I installed some updated recently and restarted as I always do. However this time Windows cannot get past the "configuring your computer for windows" screen. I have no system restore images, and have tried safe mode and last known good configuration which make no difference.

Based on the reading I have done some people suggested deleting pending.xml from the winsxs directory, however I tried this and it made no difference. Is there anything else I could try as I really don't want to reinstall.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

Try booting with the original windows 7 disk and select Startup Repair.

Monday, April 26, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Hi Josh,

To troubleshoot problems after installing Windows Updates, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

When you encounter such a no-boot scenario on Windows 7, and System Restore does not return you to a working state, consider the following steps:

1.     Windows always create a restore point before installing Windows Updates. Thus System Restore in WinRE can always be a first choice. This is the most likely path to resolution when you are in an inconsistent state due to an update failure.

How to boot in WinRE

==============

1)    Please insert the Windows 7 DVD and reboot the computer.

2)    When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)    Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4)    Please highlight "Windows 7" and click "Next".

5)    In the dialog box titled "System Recovery Options", click "System Restore"

2.     If that does not return you to a working configuration, try using the DISM command to see what update is in a problem state:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /get-packages

3.     When you run this command, you should see one or more packages listed in a Pending state. Check for known issues with the particular update or package. There may be a more direct workaround.

4.     If you are unable to find another solution, use the /cleanup-image switch with DISM to revert the pending actions:

dism.exe /image:d:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

5.     Once this is complete, try starting the PC into Windows.

If Windows starts successfully, check for other issues on the computer – disk issues, memory issues, etc. You may need to perform an in-place reinstall to repair problems with the Windows installation to prevent similar issues in the future.

Meanwhile, you may visit the following KB for a try:

Windows 7 upgrade fails and then results in a reboot loop with the message "The upgrade was not successful"

Best Regards

Dale

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Hi Dale,

It seems KB980182 is the offending update, which is a cumlative security update for IE.

I can't find any problems with this update and restarting however :\

I tried the second command you gave which completed successfully, but did not actually solve anything.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 3:36 AM