"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied" -please help.

Question

• I'm running vista home premium and have it connected to a home network (the host computer is running xp home edition).  I can connect to the internet and share files and do everything else over the network except print.   Whenever I run the add a printer wizard the printer I am trying to connect to appears as an option (its an hp 5550 networked through the host computer) and when I try to connect I get the error message "Windows cannot connect to the printer.  Access is denied".  I'm using an administer account and printer sharing is turned on on both my and the host computer.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 
    Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:01 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem.  I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local. 

Hope this helps someone else so they don't spend the hours I did on it!

Monday, February 12, 2007 12:04 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem , Please does anyone have any insight?
    Friday, February 09, 2007 10:35 PM
  • I am currently going through the same issue. all xp machines are workin great. I have just added a New  Vista laptop. It sees and shares all the resources ....so far.
    The Vista machine sees the printers but when trying to add i get "Access Denied" error. Trying to get some help \ answers has been frustrating. I have never had this problem ever setting up a network. If i cant get it to work I have no choice but take new laptop back or go out and buy XP and install over Vist . I have tried some workarounds i have read but still a no go. But even if they did work, it would be a solution but an unacceptable solution. Maybe this will be fixed in SP1....or Maybe not.

Take Care
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 9:07 PM
  • I had the same problem.  I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local. 

Hope this helps someone else so they don't spend the hours I did on it!

Monday, February 12, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Thank You!  That worked perfectly.  I've been trying to get this fixed for a week and nothing had worked.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Your welcome!  Glad I could help!
    Monday, February 12, 2007 1:03 PM
  • First....Thank You so much for that "Priceless" information" I literally have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get this SNAFU fixed............... Installing as a Local and not as a  network printer what an idea. I have been getting basic answers and have tried them all....I have installed uninstalled reinstalled hardware,drivers etc........I even tried the Computer store where I purchased just to see if they had come across this issue. (They told me it might be my firewall or a Virus!!) ...
     Searching the internet showed me this is a major problem ...Your suggestion was the last one I was going try before installing XP. I could not believe it worked.
     Once more I really do appreciate you taking the time to help out your fellow users.

Take Care
    Monday, February 12, 2007 6:18 PM
  • Your very welcome.  You think as many posts there are on the internet about this problem - and I'm sure that their tech support has gotten tons of calls, that Microsoft would have come up with a patch.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to correct this problem.

I'm having problems connecting up a second printer so I wonder if more than one printer is also an issue. I  haven't had enough time to figure it out yet, but I suspect there will be more than one issue.

Thanks for the input!  Believe me, I have been rescued many times by posts on the internet.

Monday, February 12, 2007 7:58 PM
  • You are the man!  Been trying to get my Canon MP450 to install on my new vista laptop thru the network.  I first downloaded the new driver and installed the printer directly to the laptop.  I couldn't get it to install on the network until I read your post.  Once I tried your suggestion, it found the already installed driver and worked perfectly.  I copied the post to a doc file for future reference.  Thanks a million.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:31 AM
  • THANK YOU!! you are amazing. Have spent the last three days trying to figure this out. Found a bunch of threads complaining about this printer "access denied" problem (with posts dating back to trial versions in October) but nobody seemed to know what to do. You've helped lots of people. Now I get to work on fixing the *other* problems that vista has created!
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 2:15 AM
  • THANKS A MILLION!!!  I had the same prob and your fix worked perfectly. Odd though, since I installed a printer to a laptop running XP using the network printer selection. Go figure.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:29 PM
  • Nope, it still didn't work after following Melonhead's suggestion.  OK, here's the deal..

I have been trying to figure out what makes VIsta tick and have three operating systems on three PC's here in my office. I got every single one of them to connect to the main desktop printer except the laptop Vista.

I was trying to share the printer on the HP desktop with Vista on my laptop and for four hours no matter what I did I got "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied."

So I found this message board and followed Melonhead's discovery and it didn't work either...

Ha, but Melonhead is a genius because now I knew for certain it was the Windows XP Home OEM HP desk top that was preventing Vista on my laptop from connecting to the printer...{Vista found it fast but access was denied by HP desktop}

I have a copy of Windows XP Home OEM Hewlettt Packer partition I was working with on one of my external hard drives so I started uninstalling OEM software until the Vista laptop connected to the printer and I no longer got the " access denied message".

Here is a list of what I had to uninstall before the printer could be shared.

#1. HP Image Zone 4.2

#2. HP Image Zone Plus 4.2

#3. HP Photo and Imaging 3.5 -HP devices

#4. HP Software Update

#5. HP Preloaded Printer Drivers

After I uninstalled these OEM items the printer connected right up using Melonhead's method and worked perfectly.

NYNY

Up to speed.

So far I have figured out the following about Vista.

Most important.

I can save a drive image and restore all from an external hard drive. Not easy but I figured it out.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Another message of thanks for the fix. Cheers
    Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:50 PM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH!  You're right, it isn't logical, but since when has Microsoft ever been logical :-)!
    Monday, February 19, 2007 3:15 AM
  • Hey, NYNY - I love that, "Melonhead is a genius!"  Thanks.

To the other thanks;  Your welcome, friends, glad to share.

FYI - I'm female. I was reading thru the posts and somebody refered to me as a guy. 

My business is MIS - short for Melonhead Information Systems since "melonhead" is my nickname. On techsites I'm either Melonhead or MelonheadMIS. 

Later!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 1:15 AM
  • I could kiss your little melon head!!!  I've been pulling out my hair for days and went through hours of lousy tech support with Dell.  I vaguely remember reading that it needed to be setup as local but don't remember seeing the other steps.  Thanks for sharing!
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Oops, I thought you were a guy too, oh well, I'd still kiss your little melon head!!!  You go girl!
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:28 AM
  • After 3 days and repeated sessions with HP online (no)help - this was the solution.  Thank you ever so much!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:47 PM
  • Been searching this problem for days.....Awesome! It worked like a charm.....

Thanks!

Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Thank you so much.  I spent 10 hours yesterday and on the phone with India and other support people, and was at a complete loss as to why I could not figure this out!  I wish I would have checked here first.  THANK YOU!  JAY DEBACA
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:26 AM
  • I tried this. I entered the computer name & printer, clicked Next, got a dialog box wanting to install drivers.

I tried the process again...said the port was already installed - still no luck printing to shared printer on XP machine.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:39 AM
  • Try installing the drivers - either from the CD that came with the printer or from the internet.  After that, go back and when you get the part where you can create a port or add existing port, click on the arrow to drop down the list of existing port - and your computername/printer should be listed there. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Good luck!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 1:45 AM
  • WOW!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I was about to go nuts trying to figure this out!  Ye be a very smart melonhead!!
    Monday, February 26, 2007 1:44 AM
  • Melonhead, you're a genius. Your workaround worked perfectly for me. Long live windows.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:39 AM
  • Thanks a lot!!!!

I'm happy now!!!!

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:17 AM
  • Will this work for a windows vista laptop connected locally to hp 3180 multifunction machine?  I had the same error message for my attempt at installing a local printer  Thanks  Elliot
    Friday, March 02, 2007 1:46 PM
  • MELONHEAD

Dude, you are a life saver!!  Thanks a TON for posting that, I cannot tell you how frusturated I was getting! 

Friday, March 02, 2007 11:38 PM
  • I have an e-machine,vista and lexmark p3150.  I tried all kinds of ways to get this to work, but still no luck.  I am entering \\SandraD-PC\Lexmark3100series...with no luck.  Can you give me any more advise?  Thanks. Sandy

Saturday, March 03, 2007 6:17 AM
  • Sir\Madam you are a genius.  I have spent two weeks trying to connect my new Vista laptop to an XP Home desktop.  Even PC World did not know the answeer. Maybe they should use the Internet.

Many thanks.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Problem: Unable to connect to shared network printer on Windows XP Home Edition with Windows Vista

Solution: I'm glad I found this thread and the posts below. I followed the advice from the other post. Using Control Panel, I first installed the printer using the USB port and installed the driver. Then I selected Properties > Ports and added a local port and used the network share address as the port name. It worked perfectly. Like others share below, I was worried that I was not going to be able to use the shared printer on my home network. My laptop running Vista is joined to the domain at my office, so I was afraid that the home networking would not work since I could not join the local workgroup of my home network. Anyway, it works great now. Thanks!!!!

Saturday, March 03, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Nope...it's not working for me. It doesn't recognize my computer name, although it's seen in the workgroup on both the other PC's. Any other suggestions?  I'm running 2 XP Home PC's and of course Vista Premium on a laptop, all on a wireless network with an HP 1200 series printer w/USB connection.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 10:19 PM
  • Have you tried to install it as a network printer on your laptop?  I know this won't install it, but I wanted to find out if you can even see it from the Vista computer.

If you can see it when you try to install it as a network - write down exactly how it is named so you can use that name for the "local" printer later.

Can either one of the two XP computers able to network to the printer?

Saturday, March 03, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Wow. I have also struggled for weeks on this. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Oh yeah, thanks!

Sunday, March 04, 2007 5:29 PM
  • I had the same problem with a friend of mine today, a Vista Laptop and an XP Home computer on his network. Same error meassage. I didn't get it to work on the XP Home computer (I'll try the suggestion that has been posted later) but I did get it to work on his third computer, a Windows 2000 Pro machine, and here is why I think it worked.

XP Home was not made for networks, XP Pro was. XP Home does not have User accounts that can be added as in XP Pro and W2K Pro. In his W2K Pro machine I made a new user account that matched the login users name for the new Vista laptop and matched the password too. The I shared his old HP550 on the W2K machine, went to the Vista Laptop and typed in the path to the W2K Pro machine (at the Run command), \\nameof machine, the sharded printer came up and I right clicked and choose Connect and VIOLA it worked! I was a little surprised not so much that it connected, but that Vista had drivers for such an old printer. 

For all of my clients that have (had) purchased computers with XP Home on them and are using them on a personal or business network, I always strongly recommend that they upgrade to XP Pro. Many network issues go away when they do, especially printing problems. I wonder how this will fall out with Vista, i.e. will people that use networks at home and at work need to buy, at minimun, Vista Business? It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next several months.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:53 PM
  • Good man! That worked great! Thanks!
    Monday, March 05, 2007 12:57 PM
  • Instead of going thru all that, just right click on the network printer you want to add, and then left click run as administrator. Then be happy!
    Tuesday, March 06, 2007 5:53 AM
  • This is a great workaround to your problem...

Connecting to a Shared Printer on Windows XP via Windows Vista

Problem:

Your Windows Vista PC cannot connect and print to a “shared” printer, which is directly attached to a Windows XP PC, via your network.

Solution:

1. Unplug your USB cable from the back of the Windows XP PC and plug the USB cable directly into your Windows Vista PC.
    2. The Windows Vista drivers for your printer should be automatically loaded and your printer will be installed on your Windows Vista PC.  If this was successful, skip right to step 3.
      1. If step 2 is not successful

i.      Download the Windows Vista printer driver for your printer from the manufacturer’s website.

1.     If your printer’s manufacturer has not created a Vista driver yet, retry step 2.

ii.      Install the driver on your Windows Vista PC.  During installation, you’ll be prompted to connect the printer to your PC.  Choose the option to proceed with installation without connecting the printer.

1. After installation is complete, open the Printers icon in the Windows Vista Control Panel.
    2. Right-click on your printer that was just installed and choose Properties.
    3. Navigate to the Ports tab.
    4. Click Add Port, then select Local Port, then click New Port.
    5. For the Port Name, enter the exact network path and share name of your printer.  (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2)
    6. Click OK and make sure that this new port is selected with a check in the checkbox.
    7. Click Apply and then OK to close the printer properties.
    8. You should now be able to print from your Windows Vista PC to a shared printer located on your Windows XP PC.
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Thank You So Much!  You have no idea how long i have spent trying to resolve this, messing around with Nortons, Firewalls, Network Set-up and generally trying anything i could think of.  At least you have put an end to my burning midnight oil to just print from a wireless laptop.

thanks so much.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:02 PM
  • @Melonhead

THANK YOU!!  Really appreciate your tip - why on earth did MS program things this way? 

Alan

Sunday, March 11, 2007 6:25 PM
  • A thousand thank you's - I struggled for hours.  Net result - the firewalls on the laptop and the pc, and then the printer sharing problem, which appears totally illogical but WORKED.  I could kiss you for saving my sanity.  Without people like you who take the time to share your knowledge the rest of us mere mortals would have to simply jump!!

thank you, thank you, thank you.

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:54 AM
  • Purrrrrrrrrfect!!! Worked like a charm on my Windows Vista system. Thanks a bunch.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:22 PM
  • THANK YOU VERY MUCH!  Everyone that I called couldn't give me an answer nor could Microsoft.  Imagine that!  We just bought an HP Photosmart last night and was getting ready to take it back.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 1:44 AM
  • Thanks for this tip.  it worked perfectly.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:18 AM
  • You may be getting tired of the adulation, but thank you SO much.  I can't even imagine how much time and frustration you just saved me.  I would never have figured that out without an endless call to Tech Support (whose I don't even know)...  I was just about to give up and just always print from my desktop (connected directly to the printer).  No I won't have to...whew!
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:38 AM
  • Hi,

Melonhead your solution worked perfectly for me, thank you very much, i have been searching for a solution for along time and finally found this.  Simple but genius.

Sunday, March 18, 2007 1:55 AM
  • Thank you for the solution. It worked for me after hours of testing. I don't understand how it found my laser jet on another computer in a different work group and installed it. I had no problem with my wireless hp printer.

Monday, March 19, 2007 1:08 AM
  • Melonhead,

I was able to put the computer on my new Vista laptop but nothing will print.  It seems that everyone else has been successful in the workaround but I still can't print.

Any insight anyone??

Thursday, March 22, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Hi.

I was hoping this would've worked for me.  But it didn't.  I am operating a multi-suite printer than scans, faxes, prints, and makes copies.  When I get to the port, I've typed in something similar to your suggestion, but it is giving me an error message saying the network path was not found.  (Yes, my printer is plugged into the computer - lol)  Any suggestions?

Thank you

Steph

Friday, March 23, 2007 12:46 AM
  • Thanks! Finally after 3 hours I ran across your post... it works great!
    Friday, March 23, 2007 3:01 AM
  • Try this: you need to give Read security to the Everyone account on the print$ Share under the Share Permissions and Security tabs under Computer Management MMC so it will be able to access and install the printer drivers from the host computer.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Hi, thank you.  I tried that.  My printer is showing up on the Vista laptop and the icon tray is showing in the lower left hand corner but it says: 

"Non USB port connections are not supported by this Status Display."

When I try to print, it looks like it goes, it spools and then goes off of my que but nothing ever prints and I am not getting any error messages.

HELP ME PLEASE!

Thanks,

Saturday, March 24, 2007 6:55 PM
  • Reminder I am running a Vista laptop with a wireless network trying to network to my printer that is working fine on all other XP computers on the wireless network.

OK, so I send to that printer now, a Konica Minolta 2400W, I can hear it "acting" like it's going to print.  It shows up on my que, spools for a moment and then disappears.  The printer makes a noise, like when I send things that actually do print, it's like it "knows" something was sent but nothing comes out of the printer and I'm not getting any error messges other than what I stated in a previous post.  So the printer knows that something is "connecting with it" but it's not actually printing.  All other computers, XP, are printing via my wireless network just fine.  See my other post below so you are on the same page.  I WILL PAY ANYONE THAT CAN GET THIS WORKING FOR ME!!!!!! 

My previous post:

"Hi, thank you.  I tried that.  My printer is showing up on the Vista laptop and the icon tray is showing in the lower left hand corner but it says: 

"Non USB port connections are not supported by this Status Display."

When I try to print, it looks like it goes, it spools and then goes off of my que but nothing ever prints and I am not getting any error messages.

HELP ME PLEASE!"

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide to get this working.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Then all it is then is you need to make sure there is a Windows Vista driver available for your printer.  If one does not exist in the drivers section when you try to add it, you need to check the company website to see if there is a Vista driver available for the one in question, or when it will be available.

In my case, I have a current similar situation as you do with a Lexmark Z816 printer on an XP Pro machine and an HP OfficeJet 4100 on an XP Home machine.  My new VIsta laptop detected the OfficeJet 4100 because it had the drivers for it available in Vista already.  The Lexmark Z816 (810 Series) printer didn't connect correctly because it was trying to use XP drivers that it tried to obtain from my XP Pro machine and it didn't have any available driver currently on Vista.  I have to wait until March 31st to get the driver from the Lexmark site and it will work then.

I hope this helps you out.

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:50 AM
  • You are a GENIUS!.. I did exactly what you said, and it worked!.... I was ready to dump Vista, and reformat my hard drive on my brand-new Compaq Laptop.. With all my experience, I could not make it work?... Anyone having problems with "Access Denied on networked printing" should read this..

Once again, THANK YOU!

P. J. Russ Abilene, Texas..

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:33 PM
  • After hours of trying this worked for me too! Thanks
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:17 AM
  • I've had the same problem with a clients office. No matter what I did it wouldn't work. Vista Business trying to print to a XP Home with HP laserjet 4000 attached.

NYNY I will try your software uninstall procedure and let you know how it worked.

I don't think I've ever had such a hard time finding an answer to a question. Printer sharing has got to be the oldest most simplest procedure in the world.

If this works NYNY your are a deductive genius. I could see that it was XP Home kicking back the doc. The print counter will flash 0 then 1 then 0 . I knew the doc was coming across the network but I never would've figured the onboard XP Home software though. I hope when I get over there it WORKS!!

Maybe then I can get paid!!

Oh yeah peoples. Don't forget to UNDO all changes that will affect network/computer security. I tried everything even the BIG NO-NO. Authorize the guest acct.

l8r

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 5:06 AM
  • Completed the above to add network printer, then after restarting, reconnected the printer to my laptop and it then installed correctly

so I no longer have to go thru network to print. It installed on the usb001  virtual printer port for usb.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:40 AM
  • Thanks! This worked!
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 11:01 PM
  • I do not understand why that works but it did.  Thanks a lot for the post.
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:36 PM
  • I can't get it to work no matter what, I'm going through a router to my wifes computer, and can't connect to hers..access denied ( bastards)...they can't make an OS that works, I'm ready to send it all back and tell them shove it where the sun don't shine, I've tried every trick in the book, even yours...I typed her computer name, my computer name, her printer name....it worked fine before I installed Vista...any more sugesstions..write me PLEASE!

Jack ( superduper200554@yahoo.com )

Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Melonhead,

Any ideas on a similar issue?  I have the same home network( visita laptop and xp desktop with shared printer).  The laptop can see the printer and I can print Excel docs and other types of docs from the laptop but I cannot get Word 2003 docs to print from the laptop.  I get a dialogue box saying that

Monday, April 02, 2007 5:02 PM
  •  

Hi Melonhead: I need Help

I need your help deparately... I had the same problem as yours" Re: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied" -please help." Although your instructions are crystal clear how to do it..I still made a boo boo..

While typinng the computer name and printer name I missed typing the forward space...

I ended up typing this:  comupter name printer name instead of .........  \\computer name\printer name as you recommended. I tried doing the same things numerous times computer gives me an error message " the specified network is no longer available"...I tried to delete the port but could not do it....Please help... i am getting no where..

Mani

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:41 AM
  • Hello
    Thanks Melon Head for the great workaround... it has worked for me up to a point.

I want two ways of being able to print off my laptop: 1) remotely, when the printer is plugged into the main desktop computer, and 2) locally, when this computer is turned off, and I'll just move the laptop over to the printer and plug it in.

On XP, I could do this as the laptop 'saw' two different printers, the local and the remote (even though they were the same printer. On Vista, using this workaround, there is only one printer and this has two ports that can work. Now the problem lies in that only one port can be selected at one time, this is no issue for me as I can just open the ports tab and swap it over, but my partner is not as computer literate and is going to struggle.

Is there a way I could show the same printer on two different ports as two different printers in the Printers Folder?

Cheers in advance.
    Saturday, April 07, 2007 4:18 PM
  • You are the MAN!.

You saved my day. I tried network printer and all sets of drivers. No luck until I saw your message. Now my Samsung 1710 with XP works now.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 9:05 PM
  • thanks so much you saved me from divorce lol
    Monday, April 09, 2007 7:58 AM
  • Hi there,

I am another sucker who fell for the 3-card trick by buying a laptop with Vista... and I am having the same problem as thousands of others...

I have PC's with Windows XP Professional on a network and there are printers attached to these PC's.

The Laptop with Vista will connect to share files and I can 'see' the printers but cannot print to any of them.

One thing that I came across which may have caused confusion with other Vista users is that Microsoft cunningly changed the default workgroup name from MSHOME in XP to WORKGROUP in Vista - for what reason I know not... but it complicates things if the Vista machine is not on the same Workgroup. Changing this is a little awkward too...

I added UDP ports as suggested in one post ... somewhere...

I tried the 'workaround' of connecting a couple of them (a Lexmark 2480 and a HP812), one at a time,) to the laptop and made sure that they worked from the Laptop (one at a time). I installed the printer drivers on a new local port of '//computer/printer'.

After disconnecting the printer each time, I reconnected it to the Network PC and printed a test page from that PC... but I still cannot connect the Vista Laptop to the printers on the network. The Laptop is using wireless networking as are the other PC's by the way.

The error that I get on the Vista Laptop is:-

'Windows cannot connect to the printer.Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)'

A search on Microsoft with this error code revealed no help for a printer problem!

I have tried all of the solutions proffered in this thread - downloaded the fixes etc - but no progress.

I am racking up the days spent on this issue and need to find a solution. I am seriously thinking of dropping Vista - I see no real benefits and this is a major hassle!

Hoping that someone can help.

Allan

Monday, April 09, 2007 9:05 PM
  • I've been trying to use your suggestion.  I know this may seem like a silly question but how do you know the computer name and what to use for the printer name.  I have a hp psc photosmart printer.  If you could help me out that would be great.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:16 AM
  • Ok... progress... rechecked the WORKGROUP configuration on an XP machine connected to the network and all are now on the same WORKGROUP and NETWORK..... but printing will not produce - but there are no error messages... just a message from the printer software telling me that there is a problem and use the Printer Troubleshooter to see why the printer is not working..
    about to check the drivers ... again...
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:21 AM
  • Thompa -

Have you tried adding the printer as a separate printer?  Plug the printer in and then go to Printers - Add printer - local and let it detect the printer.  I would think this would work.  But then again, who would have thought a network printer would have to be put in as a local printer, so who knows?

Margie

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:26 PM
  • Hi Margie,

Yes, I plugged the printed into the Vista Laptop and the driver software was installed and the printer ran as it should... but when the printer is put back to the Windows PC
    , Vista Laptop sees the printer on the PC  but still cannot print to it. Everything else on the network regarding file sharing works.

Allan
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:19 PM
  • After reviewing as much info as possible, I can still not connect to my printer.  I have set up the port, checked the firewall, but I can still not connect.  My printer is on a win xp printer and networked and sharring properly.  The printer will print off my other computer wirelessly to my lap top which is also win xp.  However my vista hardlined networked computer will not connect, but can find and view the printer.  Help, Dell tech support sucks and this thread has been the most helpful so far.  I receive a "Communications not available error"  but I can print from the network from xp to xp computers but not with the vista.  It is like it can see the printer on the host computer, but not print to the printer.  Please assist.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 1:09 AM
  • Afternoon! May I just say after much searching for this answer about access denied when finding a network printer, your answer couldn't of come at a better time! Thank you so much for this information!!!! =D
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:01 PM
  • OK.. an update...

Still not working from the Vista Laptop across the wireless network to the printer attached to a Windows XP PC....

I read somewhere that downloading and installing the latest printer drivers for Vista on the XP machine would do the trick.... well it didn't on mine!

Had a heck of a problem getting the drivers off again and reinstalling the XP drivers which were supplied on a disk with the machine... another half day wasted...

Rapidly thinking that I have spent more wasted time on this than I paid for the Vista Laptop! Or looking at it another way - the Vista Laptop has cost me double what I paid for it!

Becoming despondent - I need to move on..

Allan
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:50 PM
  • Thank you so much. I have worked on this for 2 days. I finally decided to google the error message and recieved your help. It worked perfectly. I can go to bed now. Thanks Smile
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 7:31 AM
  • Thank you so much....I've been working on this for two or three weeks. I tired HP's phone support two different times (1 hour each time) with no help from  them. Then I tried HP's online support and the guy sent me to your post........

Thanks again!!!!

Saturday, April 14, 2007 10:24 PM
  • You are the man!  That local port trick worked nicely with my Vista laptop and HP 2200/2250.   Thanks man!

Sunday, April 15, 2007 4:46 AM
  • Thank you ever so much.

That fixed one serious problem.

I found an answer for the second problem but I don't understand how to apply the fix.

The problem is Outlook can not remember email passwords.

I'm going back to place where I found the fix now......

Thanks Again.. I had no use or very little use for this Vista HP until I found you. I thought I would have to install XP to fix the problem.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:46 PM
  • Thank you .  That saved me $80 for tech help. I might add that the printer name is the share as name.  Thanks Melonhead Smile
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:46 PM
  • OMG!!!!! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:07 AM
  • Well thanks to Melonhead for the workaround that worked for me (finally and ditto to everyone else's struggles and Vista-suffering.).  I was connecting an Epson.  But your comments about the HP software overkill led me to remark that I have had many similar problems ..the more elaborate the printer (ie wireless all in one) the more windows conflicts arise ..that's been XP.  Can't wait to see how this goes with Vista as more of my clients get it.  Thanks for the heads up.
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 2:07 PM
  • Hello everybody,

in the e-mail thread I have seen that many users has problems with to connect to the shared printers on xp machines.One question Smile Has some tried to install the vista printer driver for this printer on the xp machine ? If you click the shared printer the driver will installed via point and print.This means you will get the xp driver for this printer.

You should also install the driver for vista on the xp machine so that you get the correct driver.

Kind regards,

Cengiz

Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:24 PM
  • Cengiz,

That is not correct.... at least with my Lexmark and HP printers.

I did install the Vista printer drivers on an XP machine and the printer would not work at all.

Still having the problem and there appears to be no solution on the horizon.... same with my USB thumbdrive -  works with everything apart from Vista.. and no Vista drivers available.

Allan
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Getting the same error but with the following....

Vista Business, on a domain, printer shared off a print server, on the 10 machines that are running vista, 5 give the above error.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Monday, April 23, 2007 11:53 AM
  •  I wonder if there is anyone out there in MS reading about these problems?  Wher is the fix ? After buying three new vista portables we can no longer print to the XP home edition base PC. This has been driving me mad now for two weeks. Have tried the local port fix but just get "network path not found". I can "see" the XP machine from the vista portable copy files etc but not print. Any further ideas will save my sanity !!!!!

David

Monday, April 23, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Ok, I had a similar problem with the Microsoft 2003

It almost seems like Vista is blocking it, i actually had to call in to our local shop and the guy told me to make sure that the printer settings in word were correctly set (Ctrl + P while in word)

Find the correct printer and make sure that all the settings are correct including the ink settings aswell as lay out. Another is to make sure if Word has permission to print, somtimes it will defualt itself.

These things are so confusing sometimes, Good Luck hope this helped

If it didn't sorry!

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Melonhead:

Thanks greatly, you saved me a great deal of frustration.  The OEM had no idea how to do this.  Thanks!!

bippy

Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:34 PM
  • Do you have any advice re Linksys Print Server (EFSP42)?

My printer is on  Port1 of the print server. My 2 XP machines, my WinME, and my Win98 can all get to this printer via the print server. These machines know about a PrintServer as a local port (as SC0B7AFF_P1).

However, my new Vista PC "cannot connect" to the print server or the printer.

Is there some \\[server]]\[[port]] naming convention I ought to use?

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  [[I'm about to spend another weekend at figuring this out!!  ;-)  ]]

Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Wow thanks a lot melonhead
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Pure Genius!  Wasted HOURS on this, thanks much
    Wednesday, May 02, 2007 2:00 AM
  • Alternatively, open your Network and Sharing Center and enable Printer sharing...for some reason this allows communication with networked printers that previously would not install.  You can also enable Network Discovery and File sharing if needed.  Hope this helps.

Joe

Thursday, May 03, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Joe,

Thanks for your post.

I checked the settings in Network and Sharing on the Vista laptop and Printer Sharing is already set to 'on'.

Still can't connect.

I am trying out Linux on another older computer and that works across the network access the printer and everything.. but Vista still will not play ball!

thanks again for trying

Allan
    Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:42 PM
  • Thank you! that worked...

I can't believe I spent so much time trying to figure this out....  why couldn't MS make this a little more clear???
    Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

I was trying to print on my Hp printer connected to a Maxtor NAS drive from Vista x64. I could install the printer, but then it always returned "Windows cannot connect to the printer. 0x000006c0".

I tried you suggestion and it works like a charm!!!

Thx a lot,

Serge

Saturday, May 05, 2007 8:27 AM
  • Same thing.  Did you get an answer?
    Monday, May 07, 2007 1:00 PM
  • Can you share with me the fix?
    Monday, May 07, 2007 1:06 PM
  • Sorry to say that I haven't solved the issue with Microsoft Vista and I can't find an answer to the problem of connecting to the printer connected to a Windows XP machine anywhere.

The workaround that I have to go through is save the file that I want to print onto the Windows XP machine from the VIsta Laptop then go to any non-Vista machine on the network and print from there. This is a real pain - but until a solution comes up that is all that I can do unless anyone has a better idea.

Waiting for a VIsta update that solves the problem!

Allan

Monday, May 07, 2007 1:43 PM
  • Thanks a lot. I was completely stymied and probably would never have figured this out. Melonhead rules!
    Friday, May 11, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Hi,

I have problem with my printer sharing. I have printer connect direct to computer and i sharing this printer for everyone on my domain.

Before, everyone can print. But now they can not print. The status of printer is unable to connect (or access deny)

Please help me !!!

Thanks,

Friday, May 11, 2007 3:41 AM
  • +1
    You saved my weekend.  Thanks so much.  Cheers. 
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:41 PM
  • Thank you so much. You are really life saver. Now I can print from my laptop (Vista) to my desktop (XP) printers.

Any idea how to to fixed sharing problem between Vista and XP.  I can access from XP desktop public folder on Vista laptop. But the other way around I'm getting "access denied". Not even Network Magic helps. Any thoughts.

Thanks again

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 9:14 PM
  • Thanks Melonhead,

I am running an XP Main Pc at home with printers shared from there. I had been able to print from networked PC (Wired & Wireless) running XP, Mac, and several flavors of Linux, however I was unable to print from Vista (To the point that I was wishing never to get the Operating System) and now thanks to you IT WORKS! I don't know about microsoft however, I am able to connect to the internet, share files but not printers in vista :-( ... talk about makinig easier!

Thank you for your help...

Wolf52355

Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Great ! It worked straight away.

thanks.

xavier.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:04 PM
  •  

Also works for these printers: HP 3320, HP 3420, HP 3520, HP 7660, HP 7760, HP 7960, HP 5150, HP 5850, HP 1280, HP 130, HP 230, HP 145, HP 245, HP 7350, HP 7550, HP 6122, HP 6127, HP 3820 and HP 656.

Here is a temporary fix that will print anything ony your HP 7550 and other HP printers until hp does come out with a software update.  The only thing that it doesn't do is tell you how much ink is remaining in each cartridge when it prints but you can always run a diagnostict test page to figure that out.

I know it works for the 7550 but haven't tried it for the other printers listed.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00808478&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=e&product=87608
    Friday, May 18, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Just to let everyone know, this is not the only way to do it, although it is not as simple.  The first way I figured it out was running through all the help documents in the MSDN database, and I finally found one with an update attached that had to be installed on the XP computer.  In order to use the other option, you need the Top-Layer Technology Installed on all computers.  It is really cool, so I would install it anyway just so you can see the wonderful layout of all the computers in your network, and to see if anyone is leeching....

Charles Timko
    Saturday, May 19, 2007 7:40 PM
  • Try adding a network printer from add printer in control pannel. If you pc see it on the network it will display the network parth. just write it down as you see it

\\pc.name.on.network\printer.network.name
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Thanks for the great discovery!  This works perfectly!
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 3:28 AM
  • OK, I was hopeful that this would work for me too--but when I typed in the \\computername\printername, I got the message "Network Name cannot be found."  I know I used the right name. 

Also, this is a related problem--sometimes my laptop sees the other networked computer (the printer host) and sometimes it doesn't, seemingly at random.  What causes this, and how do you fix it?

Thanks,

idahoblap

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:18 AM
  • Thank you from me too.  This worked, Microsoft's posted workaround did not.

I am very grateful for not having to spend more hours of futility!

Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:08 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!  The computer consultant who worked on this for hours couldn't fix it, but your fix did the trick in a few minutes once I figured out what we called the computer and the printer.  Your helpful advice is much appreciated! 
    Friday, May 25, 2007 3:05 PM
  • your solution worked great now a few days have passed since I have had to print anything and all of the sudden I can't print it shows the printer but the status shows error, any ideas?  My patience is running extremely short these days not real sure why microsoft needs to change something that worked fine on XP, thanks in advance for your help.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 12:38 AM
  • well using that way I connect to an hp 825c but it won't print and I still get the same message on the 3380 all in one both HP
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:24 AM
  • Krahtown, it sounds to me as if your printer spool has a job that it cannot print so it is not letting you any further documents.  Go to your control panel, printers, then click on you printer. Are there any jobs pending?  If there are highlight them all and cancel them all. Sometimes it takes a while for them to cancel. I've even had to reboot sometimes  before they will. Also, sometimes the printer can be hung up with pending jobs from another computer. So if this doesn't work once you have cleared the pending print jobs, go to the computer that it directly attached to the printer. Then go to control panel, printers, and clear any pending jobs from there.

If there are no pending jobs on any computer and it is still not working, post back. But that is where I'd start. I can't tell you how many times I have had clients call me and it was as simple as that.

Good luck.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:49 PM
  • Melonhead.  This worked.  I have no idea how you figured that out.  I can only guess the agony one must go through before they think "hey may be the best way to add a networked printer is to add a local printer."  Maybe after one works with MS software long enough that kind of thinking makes sense.

Thanks a ton!

Monday, May 28, 2007 6:51 AM
  • Thank you for this extremely helpful information. I was on the verge of unistalling Vista. I am still not very happy but this helps tremendously!
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:04 AM
  • hi, can anyone help me? i have been trying to install my hp psc 2410 onto my windows xp. it used to work and now for some reason it wont. is there any known hardware or software conflicts? i have tried all of the available trouble shooters to no avail, its not my printer cos it works on my partners computer.

What happens is i run the installation disc, i follow the prompts, it detects the printer but installation cannot be completed. i have tried the above solution about \\computername\\printer but that did not work either. i have spent the last few days pulling my hair out

Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:38 AM
  • Thank you...Thank you...Thank you!  This has been driving me crazy.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help

The person who said you were a genius was correct!!!!

Friday, June 08, 2007 3:29 AM
  • If anyone requires assistance with networking issues regarding 98/Me/XP/Vista, please feel free to contact me or visit my page for help.

carey@careyholzman.com

Saturday, June 09, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Great advice it almost worked as described, once I decided to unclick the radio button to spool the print and chose the option to go direct to the printer your solution worked great. Thanks for leading me out of a frustrating issue and to the solution, we are printing flawlessly now!
    Saturday, June 09, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Thanks, it worked.
    Sunday, June 10, 2007 10:47 AM
  • Hi Melonhead,

Thanks for you advice.  Here is my conflict situation:  I am using a Sony laptop, wireless.  The host computer has the HP deskjet 940c series printer attached.  The host computer is running XP and the laptop, of course, Vista.  About the same trouble as everyone else-can't print from the client(sony) laptop.  Here is the error window that i get when I try to print something from notepad, "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000 46a). 

When I tried to enter "port name" using your fix, I get the Windows error window, "The network path was not found." Am I in a different situation that the other poeple having similiar troubles printing from vista to xp or is it about the same?  I do appreciate any help.  Gooiiing nuts here.  Thankyou Ma'am, for reading this note.

Mike

Sunday, June 10, 2007 1:08 PM
  • Hi Melonhead,

When I finally realized the trouble {not entering the proper port name} I got this Windows error window regarding trying to print from my sony using vista to the server using xp, " Not enough server storage is available to process this command."  Sounds like I am out of luck for now aside from buying another printer for the laptop, or really cleaning out the server hard drive, doesn't it?

thanks,

Mike

Sunday, June 10, 2007 1:23 PM
  • Hey, Mike.

Your conclusion would have my first assumption, too - that the hard drive on the server is full.

However, Microsoft has their own language. I don't think anyone knows how to speak it, yet we all tolerate it.

There is a resolution for "not enough server storage is available..." in the Knowledge Base.  Here is the link:

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 177078: Antivirus software may cause Event ID 2011

Hope this helps!

Margie

Monday, June 11, 2007 11:36 PM
  • Many thanks to you for posting this ANSWER.

It worked. Now, if someone could only explain why MS made it so hard in the first place.

How did you ever think to use "LOCAL" printer for a printer that sits on ANOTHER COMPUTER...

Thinking outside the box...congrats.

And thanks again.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:55 PM
  • Thank you it worked great!
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Melonhead,

You are an absolute godsend. Thank you very much. I too have spent two weeks. I had one additional twist. When I entered the path to my printer on my network and clicked OK, it prompted me for the drivers. I downloaded them from HP and installed them but it still didn't work and then I rebooted and it took.

Thanks

IceBank

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:06 AM
  • unbelievable!  thanks for the help.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Tried this and get a simple error now after entering the path (\\office\bw).  "Access Is Denied".  I have another printer hosted by the same machine as this one is on, and it works fine...printer having issues is an HP LaserJet 1012.  It works locally but fails in the same way on two different machines on my network (but those two machines are able to connect to another shared printer on \\office.  Ideas?

Thanks
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 8:51 PM
  • OH MY GOD. Could I have been more frustrated? Your solution did the trick. I thought I was going insane. You are too clever!

MO Onstad
    Monday, June 18, 2007 1:42 AM
  • Melonhead, you are a lifesaver. I have spent hours on this, re-installed XP, de-installed/installed/de-installed McAfee (which I thought may be responsible) - you name it. Thanks for your succinct and useful tips. It's a shame it doesn't appear on the standard Microsoft help pages..... Thanks again,

Cheers

Ross

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Melonhead, Thanks, this has helped me out, but Ive already spent hours on this!!

I have  a Linksys Parallel port print server EFSP42.  that Vista will not maintain a connection with.  Every time the machine is re-started or re-awakened, the connection is lost (but the port still shows in the port listing)   The network port shows as \\SC04975B\P2  but Vista cannot connect to it (So it appears) on a restart / re-awakening.

XP machines work fine with the printserver

I tried using a NET USE command to assign this port to LPT3 with the  /persistent:yes option    and that did not permanently work (suggested in another forum)  [  from a command prompt  net use lpt3 \\sc04975b\p2  /persistent:yes

This connection would not hold!!

To make changes, make sure you have administrator rights AND!! You have permissions to modify printer settings.  Make sure that the print spooler is cleared out of all documents that are hung up before trying to reassign ports.

Before I could “add” my network port as a local port,  I had to delete my network port (\\sc04975b\p2) from the port list. (Right click on the port and select delete)  THEN I could follow the above instructions in this post.  So far the connection has survived one restart and still prints!  Which is further than I got before. 

I hope Microsoft clarifies / fixes this problem as I have read this did not show up in some of the beta versions of vista.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:30 AM
  • Hi Melonhead,

Im using a machine running Win Vista Home Basic.

Ok, im now able to connect to 1 printer on another machine running win98. but there's another USB printer(Epson) connect to this win98 machine and i have tried the same method you've post, to connect that second printer. However, it did not work.

So i was hoping you can advise knowing that you have some issue also while connecting 2nd printer. Any updates?

ANyway thanks for your previous post.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 12:49 PM
  • awsome, this actually worked.  Thanks.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Hello I tried your solution but it did not work for me, I at least got to install the printer but now I get a "Communication Not Available" message. it installs perfectly but thats as far as it gets. if you have another idea please post it.

Monday, June 25, 2007 1:07 AM
  • MANY THANKS!!

[particulars -- Vista Home Premium PC now able to use HP OfficeJet 4215 connected to my XP Media Center PC -- thanks to you!!!]

I've already spent hours trying to interpret Microsoft's official advice: Creating the same user ID on the XP machine, exploring security, etc. etc.

It boggles my mind that Microsoft hasn't posted your excellent solution on their help pages!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

(Another thing that MS should be ashamed of -- was able to download "Bonjour for Windows" from Apple, and remote print on the printer connected to my son's Mac Mini instantly, without any fuss or trouble. Shouldn't it have been just as easier to print from the printer on my XP system???!!!!)

Sincerely,

dbrenner23.

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:11 PM
  •  I get this same issue to with my Dell All in one printer to (Photo 926).  Got this plugged into my XP Home machine.  My XP Pro prints to it fine (after turning Off Norton Antivirus on the XP Home machine.

I tried the Work Around from Melonhead but the Vista machine still doesn't print to it.  I can share files (through a share I set up on the Xp Home machine) and It does seem to find the PC BUT just will not print to the printer.  I get this same "Communications not available error" .   I have been working on this for close to 2 weeks and even though I consider myself a big strong man... I am close to tears :-)

FYI - I have set up the same user accounts on All pc's both, turned off ALL Firewalls, Shared the Printer (Obviously) and can share files between the XP Home and Vista PC.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Can I ask.. Is this a Dell Printer that you are talking about.. I am having the same issue with a Dell 926 Photo (All-in-one)?

Cheers

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:37 PM
  • Ohh Thank you!! Saved me a lot of hassel I swear!!

And yeah .. why can't they just keep it simple without changin absolutely everything!!

Thanks again man!

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:04 PM
  • Well I just wanted to say that after spending no less than 1.5 hours on a premium rate number to HP yesterday and getting no where, I found your instructions for Photosmart printer and in less than 5 minutes I had it working on Vista on my Network.  I feel I owe you such a big THANKS for sharing your knowledge with all us non-experts! I am always so nervous of trying things I am unsure of but it was so simple.  Pity HP and Microsift are not as clever.  WELL DONE!!
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:47 PM
  • Hi there

well if it helps this did work for me, but I did install the drivers when prompted.  Remove the installed port and try starting from scratch but install the drivers when recommended and all in all within approx 5 mins you should be working!

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:24 PM
  • Hi you asked if my printer was a dell and the answer is no, my printer is a hp psc 2410.

Now when i try and install  it, it comes up that it cannot install because the file specified is missing. Unfortunatly it doesnt mention which file. it install perfectly on my partners printer so ive giving up trying to get it onto mine. Good luck, i hope you find the answer.

Melissa Houston

Friday, July 06, 2007 12:49 AM
  • If you like, Email me and I can remote access to both of your PCs and attempt to fix this problem for you free of charge.

Carey@CareyHolzman.com

Carey Holzman

www.computeramerica.com

Friday, July 06, 2007 10:28 AM
  • Kirban,

I was trying to install a Dell 962 on my network and was having a problem. Found this on a Dell forum.  Can't believe you have to make sure the XP drivers are off the Vista computer before it will work!  However, this worked great for me!  Hope it helps for you as well...

If you are having problems getting your printer to work in Vista here are instructions on how to remove the XP drivers and on how to manually remove the LEXBCE service that may cause the printer to show offline.

1. Ensure there are no documents in queue.
    2. Disconnect printer’s USB cable.
    3. Stop lexbce from services.msc.
    4. From the Start menu click “All Programs”, then “Accessories”.  Right-click “Command Prompt” and choose “Run as Administrator” from the context menu.
      1. This opens a black command prompt window.
    1. Enter the following commands and press the “Enter” key after each command: (note resulting messages, if any)
      1. cd %systemroot%\system32
      2.  sc config spooler depend= rpcss
      3.  lexbces –u
      4.  del lexbces.exe
      5.  net start spooler
      6.  exit
    1. From the Start menu click “All programs”, “Printers”, “Dell ***” and then “Uninstall” where “***” is your printer model number.  Complete the uninstall utility.
    2. From the start search box type “spool” and hit enter.
      1. This will open the spool folder at “c:\windows\system32\spool”.
    1. Rename the following folders “c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32X86” and “c:\windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\W32X86 to “backup
    2. Rename the folder “C:\windows\Twain_32” to “backup_twain_32
    3. From the start search box type “regedt32”.  Locate and delete the following registry entry: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LEXMARK”  PLEASE BE SURE TO MAKE A BACK UP OF THE REGISTRY BEFORE DOING THIS STEP.
    4. Restart the computer.
    5. Reconnect the printer to the computer and choose “Ask me later” every time the “Found New Hardware” wizard pops up (it usually pops up twice).
    6.  Reinstall the latest Vista printer driver.

If you have difficulty in step 9, instead of typing regedt32 try regedit.

Friday, July 06, 2007 11:41 AM
  • I dont know who you are or how much you know about computers, but all i have to say is thank you.

about a month ago, i bought a new laptop with vista ultimate. i tried for about a week to get my hp photo printer to install, and when i couldn't, i went out and bought a print server. that solved the problem with that printer. about a week ago, I added my desktop to the network so i could access the other printer. when i went to access it, I kept getting the messege "Windows cannot connect to the printer, Access is denied". I had set up my desktop to allow my laptop to connect, but still got the messege.

I was searching the internet and came accross this forum. I tried what you said. I was thinking it wouldn't work cuz you are using a local port and not a network port, sure enough once it was setup, my laptop finally accessed my desktop printer.

Thank You so much for the help, guess some crazy idea's really work

Saturday, July 07, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Thank you for the helpful information, after days of trying to set up my printers
    I was amazed at how simple it was when you have the right information
    thanks for sharing your knowledge

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:39 AM
  • Fantastic..... This worked like a charm.

Thank you for figuring this out.  Saved me tons of time.

Rich

Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:46 PM
  • Thank you for a great tip.  I book marked it this time since I spent considerable time trying to figure out how to do this a second time.  Microsoft needs to fix this but until then they should publish your tip.  Works great everytime.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 7:49 PM
  •  

I have the same problem. My Vista Laptop is connected by a wireless connection to my XP computer where the kodak 5500 printer is attached.

Everything works as far as sharing files etc. Cannot access printer from my vista laptop. Tried your solution but did not work. Any suggestions.

Tried connecting using connect wireless connection but did not work. I can see the printer from my vista machine but cannot connect.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 1:19 PM
  •  

I have the basic same setup except my vista machine is connected using a wireless setup. Everthing works file sharing etc.

I can see the printer.

However I cannot connect to the printer from my vista laptop. Access denied.

Friday, July 20, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Having spent hours trying to find the solution, i searched for the error message...and lo and behold, stumbled on this solution...to quote"Yahoo! it worked"

Pure genius Melonhead! thanks so much

Saturday, July 21, 2007 5:25 AM
  • I want to thank you for the valuable information. I have been weeks pulling my hair out and you have just saved my last few left. As you say, cant understand why it works but it does.

John

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:08 PM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH!!  I've been trying to connect my printer to my Vista Laptop for 2 months!  Your method worked PERFECTLY!!!     Smile  I'm THRILLED!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 11:54 PM
  •  

Thanks for your wealth of information.  I have had my laptop for 6 months now and could not figure out how to add my printer.  My hubby spent hours trying.  I typed in the error on google and your information came up so now it's up and running!! Thanks
    Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Yea....I had the exact same problem and searched the microsoft site for hours trying to find a solution.....you're solution worked in seconds. Thanks so much for the time you saved me searching the internet for a solution   --- Have a great day! dnccare

Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:24 PM
  • A brief recap...there are different situations discussed in this thread.  The major one that has been fixed is for folks who are not creating the printer in the Vista computer as a local port with port name \\hostcomputer\printersharename .  It is wonderful that this thread is solving the problem for those.

But there is a deeper issue that prevents the printing from Vista to an XP-shared printer even when everything is done "right."  I have that problem...now going into seventh week.

The issue is described exactly and precisely in KB934643, which Microsoft has removed from its database for inexplicable reasons.  It formerly said:

----------------------------

• You try to add a shared printer to a Windows Vista-based computer.
    • The Windows Vista-based computer is connected to a peer-to-peer network.
    • The shared printer was configured on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer.

In this scenario, you may receive the following error message: Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied.

CAUSE

This issue may occur if security permissions are missing or incorrect for the Spool folder and for its subfolders on
    the Windows XP SP2-based computer. In this case, the Windows Vista-based computer cannot access the files that are required to install the shared printer.

-------------------------------------------

So, Microsoft acknowledged the issue, then walked away from it, leaving us high and dry.

I tried to implement the fix in the KB, but it failed when asking me to click on tabs which did not exist in a dialog boxthat appeared along the way.

None of the solutions in this thread has solved *this* version of the problem (other similar ones, yes).

I have a Gateway Vista laptop that is essentially useless because I cannot print to my printer shared off an XP SP2 computer in a different room.  I cannot place a printer in the family room to connect directly to this laptop used on the couch and recliner (those are my "office").  I have a $1200 doorstop.

Over the past days, I have been in contact with Microsoft, who finally blew me off with "your Vista is OEM copy; we can't talk to you. Talk to Gateway. Bye."

Gateway blew me off with, first, "This is a Vista issue; talk to Microsoft." And later, "this is a networking 'how-to' issue--not part of our free support; call the pay per incident line. Bye."

I have an expensive, useless, Gateway Vista laptop until someone saves me with a fix.

Please consider your options when you are shopping.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:38 PM
  • This is absolutely amazing.  After posting the previous, I resumed my attempts to resolve the issue.  Finally, after 56 days, It works.  Here's what I did...unfortunately, two things were involved at the same time and I am not sure what about the combination fixed the problem, but I AM SURE one of the two parts is an absolute requirement.

First, I noticed on the XP Home printer sharing machine, in the printers folder were TWO "printers" pointing to the LPT1 port.  This happened along the way when I re-ran the Samsung print driver install exe again to be sure I had the very latest driver.  That put the second printer into the folder.  So I had two, one named PRINTER (I had renamed that one long ago from whatever it was initially) --also shared as PRINTER.  This was the one I had been trying to connect to.  The second one was named SAMSUNG and was shared as SamsungM.

Second, in reading somewhere tonight (sorry I don't remember where) I read that XP sharing was always done internally using the 'guest' account.
    (Web search for [xp sharing "guest account"] and you can read about xp sharing.)  It described a method of activating the guest account without having it appear on the login page, namely,  to enter at a command prompt:

net user guest /active:yes   (no spaces in the /active:yes)

I did that.

Went to the Vista machine, opened properties for the single printer there--named however the Samsung installer did it, and

clicked the Ports tab,
    Add Port,
    selected local port type,
    typed in the \\printservername\sharename (\\owner-HP\SamsungM)
    clicked the "OK"'s

and it took it!!!  I did not get the "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied" message like all the times before!  Printed a doc.  It worked!  Hallelujah!  I said a prayer of thanks.

To help isolate what fixed it, I went back to the XP machine and inactivated the guest account (net user guest /active:no).  Vista machine would not print.  "net user guest /active:yes" on the XP brought printing capability back.

Summary:  I do not know what role using the second printer installation had in this (it should have been identical to the first one), but I am convinced that the guest account MUST BE ACTIVATED as part of the solution to this issue.

Also, bear in mind I have done many unsuccessful things over the past 56 days, and some of those I did not back out, like changing permissions on the spool folder and contents.  It is conceivable one or more of the other changes I made played a part in the ultimate success.  I'm saying I don't guarantee that the net user thing is all that is required for the fix, but I am sure it is a necessary part.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:42 AM
  •  

This is absolutely amazing.  After posting the previous, I resumed my attempts to resolve the issue.  Finally, after 56 days, It works.

Here's what I did...unfortunately, two things were involved at the same time and I am not sure what about the combination fixed the problem, but I AM SURE one of the two parts is an absolute requirement.

First, I noticed on the XP Home printer sharing machine, in the printers folder were TWO "printers" pointing to the LPT1 port.  This happened along the way when I re-ran the Samsung print driver install exe again to be sure I had the very latest driver.  That put the second printer into the folder.  So I had two, one named PRINTER (I had renamed that one long ago from whatever it was initially) --also shared as PRINTER.  This was the one I had been trying to connect to.  The second one was named SAMSUNG and was shared as SamsungM.

Second, in reading somewhere tonight (sorry I don't remember where) I read that XP sharing was always done internally using the 'guest' account.
    (Web search for [xp sharing "guest account"] and you can read about xp sharing.)  It described a method of activating the guest account without having it appear on the login page, namely,  to enter at a command prompt:

net user guest /active:yes   (no spaces in the /active:yes)

I did that. Went to the Vista machine, opened properties for the single printer there--named however the Samsung installer did it, and

clicked the Ports tab,
    Add Port,
    selected local port type,
    typed in the
    \\printservername\sharename (\\owner-HP\SamsungM)
    clicked the "OK"'s

and it took it!!!  I did not get the "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied" message like all the times before!  Printed a doc.  It worked!  Hallelujah!  I said a prayer of thanks.

To help isolate what fixed it, I went back to the XP machine and inactivated the guest account (net user guest /active:no).  Vista machine would not print.  "net user guest /active:yes" on the XP brought printing capability back.

Summary:  I do not know what role using the second printer installation had in this (it should have been identical to the first one), but I am convinced that the guest account MUST BE ACTIVATED as part of the solution to this issue.

Also, bear in mind I have done many unsuccessful things over the past 56 days, and some of those I did not back out, like changing permissions on the spool folder and contents.  It is conceivable one or more of the other changes I made played a part in the ultimate success.  I'm saying I don't guarantee that the net user thing is all that is required for the fix, but I am sure it is a necessary part.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:43 AM
  • Hi, your suggestion enabled me to connect to a printer on an XP device, however, I cannot print.  When I send print jobs, they get trapped in the queue with the message "Remote downlevel document - error printing".  Any suggestions?

Matt

Friday, August 03, 2007 3:25 AM
  • There are two updates for Vista coming out on Patch Tuesday that is suppose to fix these printer issues. If you can't wait, you can install the beta version of these updates found here:

http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?showtopic=2962

Let me know if they really fix this problem as MS claims...

Friday, August 03, 2007 4:02 AM
  • Incredible! It worked my problem Thanks!!
    Friday, August 03, 2007 9:10 PM
  • fantastic!   Mellonhead and NYNY , you both rock!  I had to unload slightly differnt HP imaging software  but the answers you both gave were right on.  The thing that puzzled me was that initially my network printer worked on my Vista laptop.  It must have been an automatic update of the HP software or  XP that initated the conflict.

Thanks again.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 2:10 AM
  • This was also quite helpful. I don't understand why this is so different between XP and Vista.

I have been messing with this for my wife off and on for the past three weeks. Seems like MS did not think that most people would have a configuration consisting of an old XP desktop with a new Vista laptop running over a wireless network connected to the internet via a common DSL or Cable.

Thanks for the help. My wife will think that I am a genuis.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:57 PM
  • I ran through the same scenario. I installed the correct HP drivers after specifying the local port and everything appears to have worked.

thanks again
    Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:22 PM
  •  

I am amazed but this actually works...

Thanks a million

Monday, August 06, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Thank you - Thank you - Thank you.

After a day and a half of banging my head against the Vista "wall" you saved me just before I was going to install XP on my new laptop.  This is a ridiculous bug that MS should fix right away.

No wonder IT folks don't jump on upgraded operating systems...

Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:45 AM
  • Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!   Vista is really a pill.  I think I prefer XP........

Thursday, August 09, 2007 6:07 PM
  • thank you...Thank You.... THANK YOU!!!!

Worked Perfectly....Wish I saw this post last week!

Thanks again.

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:22 AM
  •  

Hey Melonhead,

I'm trying to hook my printer up to my laptop but am having troubles.  It's a Lexmark X1185.  I tried installing the program normally but that didn't work, so i uninstalled after being told access is denied.  After doing this a few times, I found your suggestion.  I tried it but was unsuccessful.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Golden1435

Friday, August 10, 2007 6:29 PM
  • KB938979 is available for download on the Microsoft site and is ALLEGED to fix the problem discussed in this topic.  Part of it's description says:

"If User Account Control is disabled on the computer, you cannot install a network printer successfully. This problem occurs if the network printer is hosted by a Windows XP-based or a Windows Server 2003-based computer."

That seems to be exactly what my problem was...which I solved with the

[net user guest /active:yes] on the XP computer.

So, I installed this hotfix on the Vista computer, and de-activated the guest account on the XP printer computer.  I again COULD NOT print.  The hotfix did not correct my problem.  [net user guest /active:yes] on the XP computer is what corrected my problem.  Microsoft still doesn't have a clue about this issue.

There is also another hotfix KB938194 available.

Some places have reported these hotfixes will be pushed out through Windows Update on Tues, 8-14-07.  I don't know.  At any rate, it did not fix the printer issue on my computer.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 7:07 PM
  • Tried this fix but still came up with an error stating the network path was not found but the path is correct. I am using Vista business and trying to connect to a winxp machine with a HP 3300 series printer.

Possibly a router problem? I am connecting on a network that is using a Lynksys BEFSR41.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:55 AM
  • "Network path not found" is not the problem fixed by what I posted previously.  The

"net user guest /active:yes" seems to be a necessary part of fixing the problem: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied."

Read through this entire thread.  There are several different manifestations of this difficulty (Vista not being able to print to a printer shared off an XP machine)--and thus different "fixes" depending on which problem you have. Microsoft didn't handle this one well at all...the problems have been known since early beta days of Vista.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:22 PM
  • As an aside, in my days of reading stuff about this problem, I saw several times a recommendation regarding "failures to connect to things on a local LAN."  It was this...

Turn on NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the connection involved:

Open Network properties

Properties of the particular connection (Wireless, wired adapter, or each)

Properties of TCP/IPv4

Advanced

WINS tab

"Dot" the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Also, some places recommended unchecking TCP/IPv6 if you don't need v6.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:35 PM
  • I have tried your work around, and I am still unable to print. I was wondering if you could help me.

I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP connected to a Lexmark P4350 printer. It can print to this printer with no problem. The printer is shared, firewall allows printer sharing, etc.  Network is set up properly.

I have a HP Pavilion with Windows Vista. I can see the network, I can install the printer. I can send a test page to the printer. Here is where it ends.  The page never prints and I get a message that communication with the printer has failed.

I don't know what to do anymore. I hope you can help.

Thank you.
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:20 AM
  • You are welcome to contact me directly at Carey@CareyHolzman.com if you'd like some personal assistance.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:29 AM
  • I was having the same problem and tried many different workarounds found posted on this site, but to no avail.  I could not even see the xp machine on the network map of my network on the vista machine. I did find a file that needs to be installed on the xp machine so that the vista machine can find it. This is the link for the file. Also make sure that all the firewalls are turned off. I thought that I had turned all mine off but forgot that the switch that I use in conjunction with my router has its own spi firewall that was easy enough to turn off .  After installing the file you still need to go through and install a local printer and create a port for it with the proper path to your xp machine's printer. One more thing is that discovery may take a little while so don't give up if it fails once or twice. Hope this helps. I am running vista business and xp pro.

Here is the link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:04 AM
  • One note of clarity... This port is installed on the Vista machine.  (You can create this port on the XP machine and have it work as well...)

Thursday, August 16, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Laura, Did you install the printer from the Lexmark CD?  If so, it may be that you need to get Vista drivers for the printer. Visit Lexmark's website and you should be able to download Vista drivers for your printer. Hope this works. Good luck! Margie AKA Melonhead

Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:43 PM
  • Wow! Thanks
    I was starting to think I needed to buy a new printer!
    Thanks so much. It worked perfect!
    Friday, August 17, 2007 4:11 AM
  • I purchased a new Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium.  Had the very same problem.  Spent two hours on the phone with Dell Tech support and the guy could not fix problem.  I found this post by searching on error code and was printing on my network printer in 3 minutes.

Thanks for the info

Friday, August 17, 2007 5:16 PM
  • This solution is the "cat's meow."  I did exactly what you said, and, after I had already loaded the new Printer Driver on the XP Machine, my XP machine (wireless) could see and print to the printer locally attached to the Vista machine.  Thank you SO much.

Friday, August 17, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Thank you so very much for taking the time to post the work around and saving me heartache!

Monday, August 20, 2007 5:32 AM
  • I was getting error message "Spooler Subsystem App stopped working and was closed."  I chose the option to go direct to printer so now I am able to print from Word and other applications ie Dreamweaver, notepad etc. Thank you for that info.  I am  still unable to print from my IE7 browser. I have tried different encoding, running with and without add-ons, printing from print preview, even tried printing from the print this page button on various websites. I assume that it is a problem with IE7. I went to microsoft downloads to try and download ie7 and re-install but they don't allow it. I even called microsoft and was told that ie6 won't run on my computer. They told me that the problem sounded serious and that I should pay them $80 to speak with a tech support person. (no wonder Bill Gates has so much money) Go Bill. I was hoping that someone may have a solution or an idea of what would cause this. Thanks for any help.

count0

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:36 AM
  • It worked perfectly. I do not yet know enough about Vista to understand why this worked but thank you.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:43 PM
  • Oh my GOD~~~Melonhead u really solved the mystery of the year! I've been bugged by this problem since the first day I got my new laptop. I searched everywhere on internet for solution, I still remembered the first place I visited was here- Microsoft's forum! But no one had the solution yet. Who knows I'll find the answer back in the first place I visit?

Now I'm celebrating with a pine of caramel-flavered haagen dazz ice creamThanks to you! You made my life a lot easier.

Friday, August 24, 2007 7:36 PM
  • Well Ms. Mellonhead... you have another grateful colleage.  I had tried may things.. primarily the firewall route, but to no avail.  I was thinking of doing the Local Printer thing.. but decided to search first....   this came up on my 3rd atempt.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Melonhead  - you are an absolute star! Thank you so much. I've been getting increasingly frustrated with Vista & your advice has lessened my growing dislike for it slightly. I've connected up 2 different printers using your method, one a Samsung  B&W Laser and the other an Epson Colour, and both are working fine. Once again very many thanks - your solution is not an option I would have thought of trying.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Muchos Gracias, Mr Melonhead.  I am indebted to you.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:26 PM
  • MELLONHEAD YOU SAID GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL TO TYPE IN THE COMP/PRINTER

WHICH ONE  I HAVE XP ON MY DESK TOP AND   MY GRANDAUGHTER   NOW HAVE A NEW  LAPTOP OF COURSE WITH VISTA

IT WILL PRINT ON LINE  BUT WIRELESS TO MY NET WORK  FORGET IT  MY DAUGHTER   LAPTOP RUNNING

XP  NO PROBLEM IF PLEASE  HELP   ME

RICHARD5 

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:14 PM
  • Melonhead

I owe you a six-pack of your favorite brew!   

I've been struggling with the same issue for days...leave it to Microsoft to completely obfuscate what should have been a simple, straightforward procedure. 

Many thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:07 PM
  • You are the MAN!!  That was more helpful than any CSR (Customer Service Rep) in all the BIG computers stores/manufactures.  Good job. 

Friday, August 31, 2007 3:09 PM
  • THANKS A MILLION.  THIS INFORMATION WAS PRICELESS!!!

Saturday, September 01, 2007 2:20 AM
  • I found this solution a while back, and it worked, creating a new port with the computer name.  However, recently i have not been able to print and have wondered why? we have 3 vista laptops that were all set up at the same time, there is only 1 now that will not print.  I have tried to reinstall the printer, with no success.  When i do try to create a new port after have deleting the old one, i get a invalid path, i type it in exactly like it was, and have tested it on the other 2 computers which have both worked. Please help!

Saturday, September 01, 2007 3:43 AM
  • I've Tried all the above steps, but still getting this error " Logon Failure,incorrect username or password"

Any idea anyone ?

Thursday, September 06, 2007 4:31 AM
  • I don't know how you managed to figure this out but I'm glad you did.  I was starting to go crazy!  I hope you don't mind another THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Friday, September 07, 2007 3:36 AM
  • Fantastic!

Thank you, ia had spent days trying to fix this.

Francisco (Mexico)

Friday, September 07, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Man, you freaking rule. I've been beating my head with this thing for weeks. xp It never occurred to me that something on a microsoft site would be useful. Wink You totally win.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 1:44 AM
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU it worked perfectly!!! - Jennifer

Monday, September 10, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Melonhead, many thanks - my printer test page has just printed out "hot off the press" and many frustrating hours grappling with this issue are now behind me.

Just one observation (if anyone's bothered !!!) - the local port option states it is to be used for non-USB printers - my printer has an old-style parallel port connection - is this why I've struggled ??

Thanks again & goodnight !!

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:58 PM
  • wow, thanks so much.  worked like a charm.  that's actually really funny.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:46 AM
  • Thank youuuuuuu!!!!!

I spent an entire weekend trying to figure this out.  I would have never thought of it myself.

thx again.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:18 AM
  • HIGH THIS IS mvrjm5@excite.com   I AM GOING TO TRY YOUR SUGGESTION  ON PRINTING  (ACCESS DENIED)

YOU SAID TO TYPE IN THE COMPUTER NAME  I HAVE A DESKTOP WITH XP THAT THE PRINTER IS CONNECT TO,

AND A LAPTOP WITH VISTA.   DO I TYPE IN THE LAPTOP OR THE DESKTOP.   I AM SORRY TO ASK , THANK YOU IF YOU CAN CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME     

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:07 PM
  • The computer name you type in is the one that the printer is connected to, so in your case, the desktop.  If you are unsure of the name of the computer, go to start, fight click on my computer, choose properties, and in the properties you will find the computer name.

Good luck!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:24 PM
  • THANKS MELONHEAD!!!! You are a life saver.... worked beautifuly

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:30 PM
  • I did exactly what Melonhead suggests.  I was prompted to find my printer in a list of printers.  My HP 1020 was not listed so i cancelled the action and added my hp 1020 as a local printer in order to have the drivers installed.  I tried Melonhead's miracle formula.  After I enter a port name, I get the error message that says "Port\\hp-ll\laserjet1020 already exists."  Need a new miracle.  I have deleted the Hp-ll printer as a local printer and it still does not work.  Any suggestions?
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Jim Bag,

This message appears when you have already successfully installed it on one of your previous attempts (you might not have even known you were successful - I had the same thing happen when I first figured out the eventual solution.).  When you go to "Add a Printer", choose add a local printer.  There will be an option to use an existing port. Drop down and you should see your \\hpll\laserjet1020 as an option.  Select it - and then hopefully you will be in business.

Good luck.

Margie AKA Melonhead 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:01 PM
  • This solution worked for me!!!   Thanks for posting!!!!!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 3:33 PM
  •  

Thank you so much, been tryin since february to try to fix it.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:20 PM
  • You are awesome!  Guess one needs to learn to think like Microsoft.  At any rate, you saved me a ton of time.  I'm impatient and started searching for help after 20 minutes!  Thanks!
    Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:56 AM
  • Another THANK YOU.  Man - I'm frustrated with Vista.  Everything from Apache to PHP to MySQL to the simplest of task like installing a network printer is an incredible challenge.  2 - 3 hour job of loading my new machine is turning into 2 or 3 weeks.  Ok, I've vented.  Sincerely - thanks for this piece. Real Glad I stumbled on it.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:29 PM
  • I have the same problem as everyone else -- shared Epson printer connected to XP pc.  Laptop with xp works for viewing docs and printing to shared printer.  Laptop with Vista works for viewing docs on xp pc but not printing to shared printer, "access denied".  Tried your solution.    Made the changes on the xp pc.  Why didn't it work for me????  What could I be doing wrong?  HELP!!

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:02 PM
  • By the way, found printeranywhere.com as a temporary fix.  Works great! but wait ... i did not allow sharing on the xp pc for the printeranywhere printer (which is the same as the printer i am trying to network) because I didn't want others printing to it from outside my family.  Well, I shared the printer for "printer anywhere" and voila, I can now print from the vista pc to the networked printer.  Yes, melonhead, you are a genius.  Thanks!!!!

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:18 PM
  • I have a HP 656C printer and just purchased a new Hp computer with windows vista. the error message states that my printer was not supported and I also tried to do as your note said but when I tried it said that the file was not found any other ideas. My computer's name is Robert pc, and I put down HP656C as name of printer, but it did not work.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:56 PM
  • I guess I am having similar problems as NYNY.  Adding a local printer didn't work for me either.  I have a Gateway Desktop running XP.  Sorry, I don't understand what OEM software you installed to make your setup work.  Can anyone help me figure out why does my desktop refuse to allow access to it's printer from my Vista laptop? Thanks

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:54 PM
  •  

I've tried all. still no luck.

I have a Dell AIO 942 printer attached to Desktop Dell XP machine. An older xp laptop prints fine. Vista machine won't.

have diasbled all firewalls. and uninstalled Norton. It kept turning firewalls back on, on its own.

Can now access shared files on Desktop with Vista laptop.

Have downloaded the vista driver for my vista machine. It prints fine while attached to printer (USB)

While setting up printer on local port using your suggestion, \\Computer\Printer  I mistakenly used lower case.

I've since heard that vista is case sensitive

\\Flash\DellPhot        -----  Should be  " \\FLASH\DellPhot"

am unable to setup a new port. says port already exists.

Have tried deleting all printers and then using XPS Document Writer, Run as administrator/  properties/ deleting the port.

When trying to set port up again, it still says port already exists.

Now have 2 copies of printer - one local, (usb),  the other via  \\Flash\DellPhot

The Error I am now getting is:

"Communication Not Available."..............................

I've been fighting this for a couple weeks now. Found this website yesterday. I've tried most everything listed.

Tried "net user quest /active:yes" on desktop as gladiator suggested. no luck.

please help

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:13 PM
  • A few things that I did that seemed to make Melonhead's solution work (see page 1 of this thread).

I turned printer sharing "on" on the Vista computer

I did not click on the "add printer" icon in the control panel. Rather I used the right mouse button menu and selected "run as administrator"

The system would not let me create a new local port using the \\Computer\Printer because I had done so in previous attempts. I already existed. I found it in the drop down list on the other option, "use an existing port". I selected the port I had previously created and this time it worked.

Good luck to all, and thanks to Melonhead who suggested the solution.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 2:17 AM
  • THANK YOU Melonhead...

I think the guys at Microsoft have done it again and did not disapoint us with their INTELLIGENCE...

They had to make us loose time and energy on their new products again...

It's been 2 weeks now that I've been trying to connect the new laptop with Vista (for my daughter) to my home network and trying to make it print...

I've been with microsoft since DOS, I hope one day they stop amazing me... PLEAAAAAAAASE....

Thanks for the solution again Melonhead...

Have a great weekend...

Sunday, September 23, 2007 5:34 AM
  • YOU ARE A GODDESS MELONHEAD THANK YOU!!!!
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:12 PM
  • Hello,

I also had the similar problem & had done the solution as sugested to add a port.

Earlier it was working fine but after I formated my xp pc and then again did the same steps, but now the problem is - I am able to add the network printer on my Vista laptop by adding the port, but when i give a print test page or any file to print, it shows error in printing. When i clik on Print Test Page, it shows "Failed to print. Open. Would you like to view help..."

I checked on the XP pc, the printer properties, there is no option to add driver for vista in it.......... but I myself dont understand how I got it working fine before my colleague format the xp pc. Before we format it, my vista laptop was able to print from the network pc.

Your help would be greatly appreciated in this.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Thank a thousand Melonhead. *bowing down to you!*
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 10:59 PM
  • To Echo what everyone has said "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH". Worked like a charm.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 3:08 AM
  •  

I hope you're still here helping everyone.

I've been trying to install a printer on my laptop running Windows Vista Home premium. (not trying to print from a network or anything)

I have tried lots of things, but during the installation i keep getting either Fatal Error, or Access (is) Denied.

I've tried using the installation disk, and tried letting vista install the drives, but nothing works.

Please help me, Im running out of hair to pull out.

Its a HP Photosmart C4280 All-In-One printer

Thanks in advance

Saturday, September 29, 2007 8:46 AM
  • Hi and thanks for all information on this thread.  This looked as if it would work but then I receive a "Not enought storage to process this command"  message    anyone have any idea about this??

Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:01 AM
  • Thank you!  I was also having the same problem!  Using your steps above, I can now access my Network printer.  Thanks!

Friday, October 05, 2007 1:54 AM
  • Thank you so much! I have been trying unsuccessfully for a a lone time to install the printer and after a lot of frustration I had just about gave up, but then decided to try one more search and came across your solution.  It worked perfectly and now I can print from my Windows Vista Laptop. 
    Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:26 AM
  • Thanks Melonhead, this problem was doing my head in. but your little formula sorted it, with no problems.
    Friday, October 12, 2007 3:47 PM
  •  

Finally!!! I have a solution that worked for me!!! I solved the 0x80070035 error.

Stupidly I assumed anything from Microsoft would state any obvious deviation from the norm. Not so! Their Windows Live OneCare Anti-virus software does not state that you have to change the settings in order to get Home Networking established.

I have two computers I've networked at home. One computer has Windows Vista and the other has Windows XP. It does not matter what OS you are running.

After Live OneCare is installed go to the Change OneCare Settings on the Windows Live OneCare home panel, then go to the FireWall Tab and select the FireWall Connection Tool, then add a check in the boxes Network Discovery and also File and Printer Sharing.   Do this on all your computers running Windows Live OneCare. Then select Apply.

Also, make sure your network settings in your Windows OS also has Network Discovery and File Sharing selected. Also, make sure your Network remains "Private".

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:26 AM
  • Hi Melonhead, I hope you can help me. I'm a missionary in Africa, trying to connect my laptop (Vista Ultimate) to a print server (D-Link DP-300U) and every time I turn of the computer I have to install printers again. Please, please, please, save my day, and give an answer! May God bless you!

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:25 PM
  •  

Thank you so much.  I have been trying to add two printers to my home network.  I recently bought a new laptop with Vista and I was trying to hook up to my main computer which has Windows XP.  I was always getting "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access is denied".  I've played around with it for the past two weeks and never found a solution. I wish I had found your advice sooner, but better late than never.  You definitely made my day....thank you again.
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:03 AM
  • Yipppeee!  Three weeks of frustration o-v-e-r!  

You're the best.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:23 PM
  • Thank you so much for your post.  I had also spent several hours trying to get my printer on my network to work with my laptop.  I done exactly what you said and praise the Lord it worked.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 4:28 AM
  • THANKS MELOHEAD, I'M OTHER IT WAS THE SAME PROBLEM, YOU SAVE ME FOUR HOURS OF WORK, THANKS YOU ARE A GENIUS.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 8:39 PM
  • I was so excited to see possible fixes to the problem that has been causing me to ignore my kids while I waste hours searching for answers!  I've tried Melonhead's solution and others mentioned here........still getting access denied message when I try to add the printer (hp psc 1300 series) through a local port to my laptop.   My desktop and laptop are both running Vista, (unlike others who are trying to print to a printer connected to an XP machine) . 

Of note.....When the wireless network was originally set up, printing worked fine from the laptop...then mysteriously stopped working.  In the "Network and Sharing Centre" suddently printer sharing was turned off, with the comment that no printers were installed.   In my efforts to appy the fixes suggested here, I now have printer sharing "on" but still cannot add printer successfully.   

Although reassuring to see that many people with much more developed "computer brains" than mine have also been stymied......I'm beyond frustrated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, October 26, 2007 4:40 PM
  • This worked great but I still could not connect through the Network Share center on Vista.  But I set this printer as my default and printed a document.  I am happy to say it worked.  Thank you,

Sunday, October 28, 2007 6:20 AM
  • You are a hero! After trawling through support sites for half the morning, I finally found your post in the MS forums. Worked perfectly first time.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 11:04 AM
  • Thank I had the same problem and it solved it!!!

Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:06 PM
  • YOU ARE DA MAN!

Regarding why it works.  This I know.... When you add a network printer (not a shared printer on a pc), you treat it as a local printer.  Basically, you "install" it the same way Professor Mellonhead has prescribed.  It certainly is an easy enough fix.  Wouldn't ya think that MS would just add that tip in their help me files? Nawwwww.

Thank you so much!

Steve

Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:38 PM
  • Another posting to thank Melonhead for the alternate printer addition. Though I did not spend too much time on frustration with "access denied" (only tried unsuccessfully to the point of putting my new laptop on the same netgroup as the rest on the home network) but he did remind me the way we add network printers when creating new port using IP address at work

I have not experimented with this, but I believe it may be the security level (or some other default settings) of the laptop. I had added network printer, as I always did at home, to a Vista Compaq, and had no such "Access Denied" problems. This time I am adding printer to a Toshiba with a high level of security out of the box, and I got the Access Denied issue.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 12:20 AM
  • I read somewhere on the subject "run as administrator" on certain action on Vista to get the old equivqlence from XP backward. However on this add printer subject I did not get any "Run as Administrater" on rightclick anywhere, do I miss any setting ?

Saturday, November 03, 2007 12:39 AM
  •  

Another posting to thank Melonhead for the alternate printer addition. Though I did not spend too much time on frustration with "access denied" (only tried unsuccessfully to the point of putting my new laptop on the same netgroup as the rest on the home network) but he did remind me the way we add network printers when creating new port using IP address at work

I have not experimented with this, but I believe it may be the security level (or some other default settings) of the laptop;or is it the MS One care. I had added network printer, as I always did at home, to a Vista Compaq (at that point no One Care or anyother anivirus was installed), and had no such "Access Denied" problems. This time I am adding printer to a Toshiba with a high level of security out of the box and with One Care installed, and I got the Access Denied issue.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 12:59 AM
  • WHEN I HAD TO GET A NEW PC, I CALLED DELL AND ASKED IF VISTA WAS COMPATIBLE WITH VISTA. THEY SAID IT WAS. IT WASN,T. I SPENT 4 HRS ON THE PHONE WITH DELL TECT. I FOLLOWED ALL THEIR DIRECTIONS. NOTHING WORKED. MY PRINTER IS A DELL 942, 2004. MY DAU IS TRYING THE PATCHES DELL GAVE ME, SO FAR NOTHING WORKED. VISTA SAYS MY 942 IS INSTALLED. WE HAVE UNINSTALLED AND INSTALLED. SEEM LIKE A THING CALLED SPOONER ISN,T WORKING. FRANKLY I AM DISCUSTED WITH DELL FOR ONE, AND MICROSOFT WITH THE OTHER. CHARLES

Saturday, November 03, 2007 1:15 AM
  • You helped me so much

you are magic

thank you

Saturday, November 03, 2007 2:43 AM
  • Melonhead, you are a genius. How would have guessed that a network printer is a local printer. How did you find it?

Sunday, November 04, 2007 4:01 PM
  • I had to use the printers shared name to get it to work. But that makes senses.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Thanks so much !!

Yet, when I tried to install the network printer using "Add Network printer" option, it shows the list of network printers available, but gives access denied when trying to add them. Why is that? Does not make sense.

Monday, November 05, 2007 4:19 AM
  • YOU ARE A GOD SEND !!!!!!

After 2 days of screwing with this thing, it was that simple.  Microsoft.... TAKE NOTE !!!!!!

Melonhead, if you want to provide an address, I will happily send you a check for tech support.

God Bless ....

Walt Z

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Using a visa laptop to share with a XP desktop  printer.

Works great for me but your have to right click on the printer you want to use and select sharing to get the printer name. Its not necessarly the name shown on the icon for the printer. Also use the full computer name (the name shown on the network Not the computer discription name.
    Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Well I am not dummy with networks but this issue is killing me.  I can see and share files/folders vista - xp, xp - vista.  I can see the printer but can not connect to it the correct way.  However connecting via a local port does allow me to send a print but when XP gets it; I see it in the spool.  It shows the document and says printing but then goes to deleting without ever sending it to the printer.

XP has the correct drivers installed as well as the Vista Laptop.  Its just strange to see it show up in XP printer spool and then just get deleted without printing it.

I hope that someone else has seen this aswell and found a solution.

Friday, November 09, 2007 7:37 PM
  • This kudos come much later than all the rest, but I just found it via google and just had to pass on my thanks. What a pain in the unmentionable place this was! I couldn't find an answer anywhere about this very same problem and shelved trying to resolve it for months until I found I really needed to make it work (what's the point of being on a wireless system if you can't utilize it fully?).

Then voila! Just one question for you; how did you figure this out? It is so easy, but all answers everywhere else point to much more complicated solutions that don't even work! I just like to peer into the mind of a genious to see if some of it will rub off.

Thanks for cracking the code to this annoying problem.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 8:36 PM
  • wow - fantastic, I've been crazy trying to get my HP 6200 working over my home network and your trick did it!  many thanks...  I'm still trying to get the fax working on the same HP, but I'm so happy I can print regular stuff...i can always fax manually.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:52 AM
  • Thank you SO much, Melonhead! Worked perfectly.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:30 PM
  • Let me pile on to give many kudos to your solution.  Thanks so much.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Melonhead,

I tried evrything you mentioned and I seem to be the only one that can't print from my Vista machine.  ANy other suggestions or things to duble check would be gretly appreciated. 

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Thanks so much...it worked after ages of messing about...I also have troubles with programs dying (not responding) that never happened with XP with the same programs.

Vista sucks...(I would rather use lots of realy nasty expletives)

Thursday, November 15, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Thank you VERY much!  I installed printers on my XP network at home with NO problems but at the office - Geez!  Your solution worked immediately and saved me countless hours - THANKS!

You'd think that ~9 months later this would have been solved by MS in Vista!?!?

Friday, November 16, 2007 3:49 PM
  • Did you ever figure this out?  I'm having the same issue with a Lexmark 1200 Series printer w/USB.

Friday, November 16, 2007 6:08 PM
  • Hi there,

No, I still have the problem of not being able to connect the Vista Laptop to the Lexmark printer across the network.

Whenever I need to print from the laptop, I have to save to  adrive on the XP computer to which the Lexmark is attached and I print from there! So much for progress!

After using Vista for a few months now, I continue to be frustrated by the additional security 'features' which are incorporated. I can't even start up Firefox without it asking if I want to 'Continue'. I know that I can disable UAC but this apparently leaves the machine vulnerable to attack - sort of a 'Catch 22'.

Am hoping that the forthcoming release of SP 1 for windows Vista will overcome the problem... but I am not holding my breath! The latest copy of Ubuntu Linux looks to bevery good and I am becoming accostomed to it. I just need a little more nerve to use it on the laptop... after all Vista cost a bundle and I have gained so much experience (sic) using it!

It is quite funny to see that Apple are now using the printing problems that Vista has brought about in their TV ads! Did you notice that this thread has been viewed over 80,000 times? Quite a testimony to MSoft I would say!

Allan
    Friday, November 16, 2007 10:36 PM
  •  

thanks melonhead, it worked! gteat find.
    Saturday, November 17, 2007 5:17 PM
  •  

This behavior occurs because some registry subkeys are restricted when you enable protected mode in Internet Explorer 7. The registry subkeys make sure that you can connect to a shared printer by using Internet Explorer 7.

This also seems to apply to \\server\printer.

Note: I haven't got printer sharing on in the "Network and Sharing Center" as I'm not trying to share a printer From my machine. This problem only occurs when trying to connect to another machines shared printer. Check out the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927842

Friday, November 30, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Thanks so much.  How OBVIOUS considering this is Vista! 

Saturday, December 01, 2007 7:24 PM
  • I was ready to toss my computer out the window.  Microsoft Vista is a travesty.  I spent over a month trying to get this to print.  Your solution worked perfectly.  Thank you, thank you.

Sunday, December 02, 2007 4:17 AM
  • Well I have tried everything suggested with no luck  no printing   no connectivity to files etc TILL  I installed a program called Network Magic.  It is well worth the cost.  One purchase is licensed for up to 8 computer.  It took me by the hand and now all comptuers play well with each other.  About 40$ with a 7 day free down load.  

Sunday, December 02, 2007 5:22 AM
  • i have the same problem with Windows VIsta Business and the printer on Windows Server 2003 , access denied.
    i have try the solution of Melonhead but don't work
    Monday, December 03, 2007 3:16 PM
  • RE-DIC-U-LOUS!! I didn't have any problems finding and sharing printers on my laptop with Vista Home but had to do the "local printer" trick to share on my Vista Business. Complete and utter nonsense. Vista Business can see all other printers and PCs on the network but denied access to print sharing. Now that I have that fixed, I have to get the other network PCs the ability to share files with the Vista Business PC. Kind of the opposite issue here. Vista Business PC can access all other drives, all other PCs can see the Business drive but get the "is not accrssible. You may not have permission..." blah, blah, blah. Frustrating!

Thursday, December 06, 2007 1:21 AM
  • Thank you!!!!

we were trying for hours.

thanks again.

Brian.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 3:54 PM
  • Amazing, from a new Vista user, you rock! Same problem, simple solution.  Thank You so much.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 7:54 PM
  •  

Thanks Melonhead!

We have recently bought a new laptop but haven't been using it as it wouldn't print to our network printer.

I have spent hours trying to get it to work and nothing seemed to solve the problem...until I tried your idea!

Hey presto...it prints!

I would just like to say thanks!

Sunday, December 09, 2007 11:14 AM
  • Thank You, Computer Guy for the information it seemed to work to a degree. When I

go to print from my new wireless laptop computer ( which has Vista on it. ) It says the job has been sent to the printer ( which is a HP PSC 1300 SERIES ) then nothing happens from there. Can you please help me with this problem ?

Thank You,

Slappy 

Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:55 PM
  • I need some help to solve this problem, I am unable to connect a client to a share printer. Guest login keeps coming up and asking for password. help help.
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:36 AM

• Ok from reading other forum posts and trying out a few things myself i found to create a hybrid/mixed network there are a few steps that you need to take due to the newer securites in place from the vista OS.

1.First you need the LLTD responder, install this onto all your XP OS boxes

2. Right click the "my computer" icon on your desktop and select properties in the drop down menu, or goto control panel and double click system, and make sure all computers are in the same workgroup (i.e. "workgroup", MSHOME", etc). XP default workgroup is "MSHOME", Vista default is "WORKGROUP" make sure they all match by changing either all the XP's to workgroup or all the vistas to mshome or whatever you decide to call you network.

3. If you are running any type of firewall (i.e. norton, mcafee, etc) other than windows default firewall, turn off the windows firewall, as two firewalls will conflict with each other. If you dont have a third party firewall skip to step 5.

4. In the personal firewall options of your third party firewall, look for your "trusted" network IP option and
    A) input each IP adress of the computers attached to your network
    or
    B) input the dynamic IP mask, as this will cover the entire network in 1 shot (i.e. 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.0.0) <--IP and mask
        Do this on all computers (vista as well as XP), this will create a two way transitive trust between your computers firewalls which you will need not only to even see the computers on your network but also to share files.

5. Enable file and printer sharing on all your computers
    A) XP file and printer sharing can be enabled per folder/printer by right clicking on the folder/printer and selecting "sharing" in the drop down menu and selecting the radial dial for "share this folder/printer" and giving it a shared name.

B) vista file and printer sharing can be enabled by double clicking the network icon on your desktop or by opeing control panel and clicking on the network icon there. under the adress bar at the top of the menu screen that appears click on "network and sharing center" to bring up the menu you will need for the next step. The following should be enabled (turned on):
    1) Network discovery
    2) file sharing
    3) Public folder sharing
    4) Printer sharing
    5) Media sharing

***Note***  IF YOU GET "INPUT USERNAME AND PASSWORD" WHILE TRYING TO CONNECT TO A PRINTER OR FILE FROM YOUR XP TO VISTA (FILE IS ON THE VISTA COMPUTER AND YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCESS THE FILE FROM THE XP) TURN OFF THE FOLLOWING ****PASSWORD PROTECTED SHARING ON THE VISTA LIST****

you can close this menu window after you dis/enabled all of the above

6. Download/Install all drivers for the printer on all computers using the XP drivers.

7. On the vista computer (if you still have the "network" menu up, under the address bar click "add printer", if not goto control panel and under the "hardware and sounds" click the "printers" link then click add printers.
    The printer wizard should now launch and ask you if it will be a local printer or a network printer.
     1) select local printer
     2) select local port
     3) type in \\<name of the computer that the printer is attached to>\<name of shared printer> (i.e. \\kitchen\cannon)
     4) s