none
How to Reset Local Security Policy Settings to Default in Windows XP from DOS

Question

• I recently messd up my Windows XP Local Policies and permissions. When it happened I set the permissions on Local Disk Drive C, but when it finished all my Icons on my desktop vanished. Even everything in the start menu except the Shutdown and Log off buttons. I went ahead and shutdown the computer (normally). When I turned it back on and attempted to log into Windows I saw it say "Loading personal settings" then "Logging you out" then the Log in window reapeared waiting for my User name and Password again. I was on the "Built-in Administrator account. I tried my normal User account and same result. 

So my question has other questions in relation.

Question 1)

How can I reset my permissions and rights without logging into Windows?

Question 2) 

Can I reset them without a Windows XP CD?

Question 3)

Can it be done from DOS?

Question 4)

How can you get into DOS for Windows XP without actually loging into Windows?

Question 5) *and the most important one*

Can it be explained so that a non IT Tech can understand and do it?

Saturday, March 02, 2013 2:33 AM

Answers

All replies

• Ans 1 : Repair windows to set systems files to default permission.

Ans 2 & 3 : Check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222?wa=wsignin1.0

Ans 4 :  While booting press F8 and switch to dos mode.

Ans 5 : Depends on your skills :)

Saturday, March 02, 2013 4:12 PM
  • I went to the site you provided and I was completely lost, I have no backups at all. There is no restore feature on it that I can tell from dos (boot floppy I made from the computer I'm on now.

From what I read most of those are done from Windows. 

The computer is my old office PC and was set up years ago and no Windows CD nor way to set it up came with it. 

When I hit F8 it went to a boot order, but nothing said anything about dos.

As you can see my skills ain't that great. I can't make out a simple webpage, lol. 

My Questions are as follows:

Question 1)

Is there a "dumbed down" version of what that sight is saying?

Question 2)

Can you be more specific on the whole F8 thing? (Dumbed down way please)

Question 3)

How would I "repair" Windows to get it back to Default permission? (Dumded down Please)

Question 4)

Can you be more specific with question 3) as well? (Lamens  (<- don't think its the right spelling, lol) terms or dumbed down Please)

Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Ans 1: You need to use a CD for repairing windows. This would reset the permissions on file syste, check this http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm (Contains screenshots)

Ans 2: You'll need a floppy to boot into MS DOS. Check http://www.wikihow.com/Boot-to-DOS-in-Windows-XP its more simpler way using floppy. (Contains screenshots)

• Marked as answer by IamKraZashell Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:37 AM
    Monday, March 04, 2013 5:45 AM
  • ArnavSharma,

Dude, thank you very much. I'm able to set my PC back to default permissions.

I've been racking my brain trying to save my PC. All the work I'd loose if I had to Upgrade or go buy another Windows XP CD.

Also, Thanks for breaking it down for me. I've been on atleast 8 forums and they refer to the original page you gave me that was like reading VCR instructions backwards, lol.

Kuddos dude, thanks again.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 4:56 AM