none
Very slow Homegroup and Network speeds - yet fast Internet access

Question

• I've just finished setting up a network in our house, as follows:

Upstairs:
    - Server (Windows 8 Pro), connected by wire, via Homeplug, to the switch downstairs.

Downstairs:
    - Computer (Windows 8 Pro), connected by wire to the switch.
    - Laptop (Windows 8 Pro), connected by wire to the switch (sometimes wireless to the router).
    - Switch, connected by wire to the wi-fi router.
    - Plasma TV, connected by wire to the wi-fi router.
    - Playstation 3, connected by wire to the wi-fi router.
    - Wi-fi router, connected to the fiber optic cable modem.

There is something weird going on with the network, in that the speeds between the computers are too slow. If I'm downstairs, trying to stream something from the server upstairs, there's just too much choppiness and lag.
    The same applies to file transfers; when I am using either of the computers downstairs, trying to copy a file from upstairs, the transfer speeds I get are around a measly 1.0 MBps. The same goes for when I'm on the server upstairs, trying to copy either to or from either of the one downstairs...

The real puzzle is that both the PS3 and the TV can stream files from the server upstairs, via Win8's Homegroup! I've tested with 14GB Full HD files, and it works flawlessly...

It gets weirder... When running a speed test, I get great Internet speeds on all 3 computers! I get around 75-90 MBPs, which is very good - however how come the network speed is so slow??

I've been struggling to figure this out for a couple of hours now, but can't get anywhere....
    I've tried through Homegroup, through just network file sharing (I removed the Homegroup completely), but to no avail. I've updated NIC drivers on all computers, still no luck.

All three computers are running Windows 8.

I hope someone can help!
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, I understand that the speed of file transferring or streaming between your server upstairs and computers downstairs is so slow even your internet connection speed fast. But the Playstation and TV worked fine. You have updated NIC drivers and tried to use HomeGroup sharing, but to no avail.

At this point, I suggest we perform the following steps to check the issue:

Step 1: if possible, would you please try to use another router to check the results? I suspect that this router wasn’t compatible with IPv6.

Step 2: please check whether the issue persists if we turn off Windows firewall:

Windows Firewall from start to finish

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/Windows-Firewall-from-start-to-finish

Step 3: If the NIC driver was updated via Windows update, I recommend updating it manually by downloading from Manufacturer to check the results.

Please let me know the results after performing these steps, if there is any concern, feel free to contact me.

Look forward to your response.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, I understand that the speed of file transferring or streaming between your server upstairs and computers downstairs is so slow even your internet connection speed fast. But the Playstation and TV worked fine. You have updated NIC drivers and tried to use HomeGroup sharing, but to no avail.

At this point, I suggest we perform the following steps to check the issue:

Step 1: if possible, would you please try to use another router to check the results? I suspect that this router wasn’t compatible with IPv6.

Step 2: please check whether the issue persists if we turn off Windows firewall:

Windows Firewall from start to finish

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/Windows-Firewall-from-start-to-finish

Step 3: If the NIC driver was updated via Windows update, I recommend updating it manually by downloading from Manufacturer to check the results.

Please let me know the results after performing these steps, if there is any concern, feel free to contact me.

Look forward to your response.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 16, 2013 7:34 AM
  • After spending 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft Support, and trying every option known to humanity...  I thought it was a Windows 8 issue, but I was WRONG. It's a router setting issue.

A big thank you to Microsoft Support who persevered through all triaging for me.

Running 2 pc's on the same network. One PC had great speed. The other PC VERY slow. I have a Linksys router. As soon as I did this, my internet speed was screaming!!! :)

Found the solution on  http  brikis98.blogspot.com/2012/02/got-slow-download-but-fast-upload.html?m=1

login to your router typically at http  192.168.1.1

If you've never done this, look for instructions that came with your router or do an internet search to find the default username and password.

• Find a page that has QoS settings. For the E1200, you need to click on "Applications & Gaming" and select the "QoS" sub-menu.
    • For the Linksys - go to the Applications Gaming Tab, then QoS Tab
    • Disable WMM Support
    • Click save.

Friday, October 04, 2013 1:40 AM