none
Dont know how to downgrade from Windows 7 64 bit to 32 bit

Question

• hello, when I installed my computer I installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Now I recently bought a new product that requires 32 bit because the driver doesnt work, how do I downgrade? (It is essential that I use this product).  I dont know a lot about computers though so put in simplest terms would be appreciated.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:15 PM

Answers

• You must reinstall the entire Windows (use the 32Bit DVD) and all programs.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:21 PM

All replies

• You must reinstall the entire Windows (use the 32Bit DVD) and all programs.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:21 PM
  • No one knows how to perform that "downgrade" because, well, you can't.  As Andre said, you'll have to completely reinstall Windows - and all your software.  When you built your PC did you install a retail or OEM copy of Windows?  If retail, it came with two DVDs, one 64-bit and the other 32-bit.  If it was an OEM version you'll have to buy another, 32-bit, copy from somewhere.

You didn't say what this new product is, but maybe the manufacturer has a 64-bit version of the driver, it never hurts to ask.  Barring that, if you're running Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise you might consider using XP mode.

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:33 PM
  • On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:15:55 +0000, noooob09 wrote:

> hello, when I installed my computer I installed
    the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Now I recently bought a new product
    that requires 32 bit because the driver doesnt work, how do I
    downgrade? (It is essential that I use this product).  I dont know a
    lot about computers though so put in simplest terms would be
    appreciated.

There is no possible downgrade. You can never change the "bitness" of
    Windows, neither from 32-bit to 64-bit, not vice versa. The only way
    to go from one to another is with a clean installation.

What is the product you bought that requires 32-bit?

--
    Ken Blake

Ken Blake
    Friday, August 27, 2010 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

Always look at the Windows 7 Upgrade Paths for upgrading, downgrading versions. You have all your answers.

So you understand that you have to do a clean install because cross architecture is not supported (x86 to x64 and vice versa)

regards

www.revuedugeek.com | Déployer Windows 7
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:25 AM
  • Othere have given the bad news about the change from 64 bitr to 32 bit Windows 7. Perhaps this

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

will ease the burden. I'm not sure. I have never used it for a lateral move from one Windows 78 to another.

Tom

Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:06 AM