none
Windows Search - Cannot find files on workstation or in email - Always shows 0 items total

Question

• Can you tell me what the "correct permissions on Windows search directories" should be?

Windows search does not return any results when I search my folders or email.  I used "Troubleshoot search and indexing" which displayed the following:

Problems Found:
    Incorrect permissions on windows search directories - not fixed.

Details....

Search and Indexing Publisher details

Issues found
    Not fixed
    Restore correct permissions on Windows Search directories
    Succeeded
    Issues checked
    Checked
    Checked
    Checked
    Checked
    Checked
    Checked

Issues found Detection details
    Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories Not fixed
    Incorrect permissions were detected on the Windows Search data directories.
    Data directory permissions
    Permissions on Windows Search data directory
    Succeeded
    Restore correct permissions on the Windows Search data directories.
    Issues checked Detection details
    Search Filter Host process failed Checked
    The Search Filter Host process failed.
    The program SearchFilterHost.exe has failed recently.
    Informational
    Please check Action Center for possible solutions to this problem.
    Windows Search service shut down unexpectedly Checked
    The Windows Search service was forcibly shut down while performing maintenance.
    This problem's cause is unknown
    Informational
    Windows Search service shut down unexpectedly Checked
    The Windows Search service was forcibly shut down but did not report corruption.
    This problem's cause is unknown
    Informational
    Windows Search service not running Checked
    When the Windows Search service is not running, searches might be slower, and you might not be able to find all items.
    Start Windows Search service
    Not Run
    Enable and start the Windows Search service.
    Windows Search service failed Checked
    The Windows Search service failed.
    The program SearchIndexer.exe has failed recently.
    Informational
    Search Protocol Host process failed Checked
    The Search Protocol Host process failed.
    The program SearchProtocolHost.exe has failed recently.
    Informational
    Detection details
    Directory
    Windows Search data directory
    Directory: C:\ProgramData\Windows7Index\Search
    User-reported problems
    Problem Type: FilesMissingProblem
    Problem Type: EmailMissingProblem
    Problem Type: UnknownProblem
    User-defined problem
    0 items total
    Collection information
    Computer Name: ATL43203W7
    Windows Version:
    Architecture:
    x86
    Time:
    Monday, March 09, 2009 7:23:35 AM
    Publisher details
    Search and Indexing
    Find items on your computer using Windows Search.
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Windows
    Monday, March 09, 2009 11:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you redirected the directory? Is the folder C:\ProgramData\Windows7Index\Search built by yourself?

I suggest that you change the permission of the folder C:\ProgramData\Windows7Index\Search if it exists.

If the issue is not resolved, please let us know how you search the data on the computer, in Start Search or in the Search box after opening Windows Explorer.

You may capture screenshots and upload them in the Sky Drive of your Live Space. 

Sky Drive

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Since the Windows Search Services runs under Local System permissions is it possible that System has been removed from the folders mentioned? Try granting system full control to the folders and see if this resolves the searching issue.
    Daniel Nerenberg MCT MCSE MCITP MCTS MVP
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you redirected the directory? Is the folder C:\ProgramData\Windows7Index\Search built by yourself?

I suggest that you change the permission of the folder C:\ProgramData\Windows7Index\Search if it exists.

If the issue is not resolved, please let us know how you search the data on the computer, in Start Search or in the Search box after opening Windows Explorer.

You may capture screenshots and upload them in the Sky Drive of your Live Space. 

Sky Drive

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Since the Windows Search Services runs under Local System permissions is it possible that System has been removed from the folders mentioned? Try granting system full control to the folders and see if this resolves the searching issue.
    Daniel Nerenberg MCT MCSE MCITP MCTS MVP
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:23 PM
  • hi,

I unfortunately had exactly the same problem with the French version of Windows 7 which was an update that I installed on Windows Vista. furthermore,when I open the indexation options, click on advanced, and then try to access to the data type onglet, the announced options and the indexation options window was close without showing the datatypes associated to the indexation that

I tried all the solutions in this thread, but it didn't resolve the problem.

has there been any solution for this problem?

Constantin
    • Proposed as answer by kaffe111 Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:24 PM
  • I have the Same problem.
    Outlook doesnot find all the mails..

Some problem with indexing

here is the troubleshooting log..

Please chek it and help

Print
    Search and Indexing
    Publisher details
    Issues found
    Not fixed
    Not Fixed
    Completed
    Potential issues that were checked
    Issue not present
    Issue not present
    Issue not present
    Issue not present
    Issue not present
    Issue not present
    Issues found
    Detection details
    Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories
    Not fixed
    Not Fixed
    When permissions on the Windows Search data directories are set incorrectly, the search service might not be able to access or update the computer's search index. This can result in slow searches or incomplete search results.
    Potential issues that were checked
    Detection details
    Search Filter Host process failed
    Issue not present
    Problems with the Search Filter Host might indicate errors in the Windows Search service, which can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results.
    Windows Search service shut down unexpectedly
    Issue not present
    When the Windows Search service is forcibly shut down while performing maintenance, searches might fail or return incomplete search results.
    Windows Search service shut down unexpectedly
    Issue not present
    When the Windows Search service is forcibly shut down, searches might fail or return incomplete search results.
    Windows Search service not running
    Issue not present
    When the Windows Search service is not running, searches might be slower, and you might not be able to find all items.
    Windows Search service failed
    Issue not present
    Problems with the Windows Search service can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results.
    Search Protocol Host process failed
    Issue not present
    Problems with the Search Protocol Host might indicate errors in the Windows Search service, which can cause searches to fail or return incomplete search results.
    Detection details
    Expand
    Informational
    Directory
    Windows Search data directory
    Directory: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\
    Informational
    User-reported problems
    Problem Type: EmailMissingProblem
    Collection information
    Computer Name: TECHSPIRITZ1
    Windows Version:
    Architecture:
    amd64
    Time:
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:29:13 PM
    Publisher details
    Expand
    Search and Indexing
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Windows
    Search and Indexing
    Package Version:
    Publisher:
    Microsoft Corporation

Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:15 AM
  • Problem exist for me too. Fresh Win7 install. Windows Search can't find any file. Only Email and startmenu works for me.

Not fixed

Monday, April 05, 2010 3:08 PM
  • I have the same exact errors.. i had reinstalled the windows search\inderxing services, deleted the folder, cleaned all....nothing works and i can't install office 2010 to 2007 maybe coz that error. I even try sfc /now.... ecc.ecc. no work! Any news?

Chooo

Sunday, July 25, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Faulting application name: SearchIndexer.exe, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bcdd0
    Faulting module name: kernel32.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16481, time stamp: 0x4b1e3897
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00049646
    Faulting process id: 0xa30
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb51eed3bf12a0
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    Report Id: 422dc7cd-bde2-11df-ba9e-00269e83581d

No answer at this problem ? release a fix please or a new installer of windows search that works..

Chooo

ps : I've fixed the problem in one pc with a freeutility not from Microsoft.. search for "FixWin", btw the problem persist in one pc so i would like an help.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Managed to install Office 2010.. but errors remain..
    Look at the screenshot : http://i51.tinypic.com/168bs77.jpg
    If I run troubleshoot i get that error now..

Faulting application name: SearchIndexer.exe, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bcdd0
    Faulting module name: kernel32.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16481, time stamp: 0x4b1e3897
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00049646
    Faulting process id: 0xa30
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb51eed3bf12a0
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll
    Report Id: 422dc7cd-bde2-11df-ba9e-00269e83581d

No answer at this problem ? release a fix please or a new installer of windows search that works..

Chooo

ps : I've fixed the problem in one pc with a freeutility not from Microsoft.. search for "FixWin", btw the problem persist in one pc so i would like an help.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Try this - go to Programs Features - Windows Features - Disable Indexing + Windows Seach - Restart - Go back 2 Windows Features - Enable Seach - Restart - Control Panel - Folder Options - View TAB - Enable Show Hidden Files Folders - Open C: (root drive) with windows explorer - right click "ProgramData" Folder - Security TAB - Advanced - Change Permissions - Check "Replace all child object ect." - Check if System,Admin,User set to Full Control - Edit Creator Owner - Check Full Control - Close Edit - Apply - Wait if asked "YES" - O.K. - O.K. - Check if Indexing is working. Don't thank me. Thank Microsoft for their crippled system.
    • Proposed as answer by HaJo Schatz Friday, April 13, 2012 1:12 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Kudoz, FGM666 -- that did the trick!
    Friday, April 13, 2012 1:12 AM
  • Thank you!!!  Although I did have to rebuild the index after all the steps above (which may have been implied in your instructions, but I am not techy at all and it needs to be black and white).  Above steps definitely fixed the issue :)
    Monday, January 21, 2013 6:24 PM
  • One thing that HaJo missed is taking ownership of the directory tree first.  Otherwise a bunch of the files will not have the permissions changed.  Details below

Microsoft has ready not tried to resolve this problem.  The answer is quite simple.  Local the folder <<C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search>>.  The owner and permissions have to be replaced on the entire directory tree.

Detail instructions to accomplish this:  >Right click <<C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search>>

>select properties, >select Security Tab, >Advanced button >Owner Tab >Edit >Select/Add your user ID and select "Replace Owner on subcontainers and objects" >Click OK >  Back completely out of the properties

>Right click <<C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search>>

>select properties, >select Security Tab, >Advanced button >Permissions Tag >Permissions button >Add button >enter name, check name, and select, and OK >Back in the Permissions window: Select "Included inheritable..."  and "Replace all child object permissions ..." >  OK out of the properties panels

This may require a reboot to restart indexing.  Be sure to recheck the <<C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search>> for permissions and ownership.  My corporate security settings reset this each day.   What fun.

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:02 PM