none
Midi Issue Win8 Pro

Question

• What is the problem with Win8 and midi devices? Windows recognizes the device by name, but will not install a driver.

Monday, October 22, 2012 1:02 AM

Answers

• Hello, MidiMike.

It sounds like you've looked into this fairly thoroughly, but if you haven't already, it may be work running the MPK mini Preset Editor Software (Windows)

This Zip file doesn't contain any normal device manager .inf drivers, but looking at the files, it does contain some form of MIDIport interface for the built-in program.

I don't think it will pick up the keyboard in a way to get it working in other programs, but it would be interesting to see if can communicate with your MIDI keyboard at all.

Looking at Akai's forums, I think you've already posted there, but did you see these two threads Here and Here? It looks like some Akai products have similar problems running Under Windows 7, which is fixed by installing a fresh copy of the USB codec files.

If your Windows 8 installation is an upgrade rather than a clean install, you may have carried over an older driver with a problem.

An Akai forum user posted the files Here. They have a pretty comprehensive pdf instruction sheet attached. As the files appear to have been written for XP & Vista, but work on 7, there's a good chance they'll work on 8, too. If you're feeling adventurous, you could creating a system restore point, and running through those instructions.

• Marked as answer by MidiMike Friday, March 08, 2013 2:34 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:03 AM

All replies

• MIDI is rather old, it has been replaced by USB long ago

I assume there is no problem with the adapter, the drivers will be generic

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

• Proposed as answer by Vegan FanaticMVP Monday, October 22, 2012 1:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MidiMike Monday, October 22, 2012 3:53 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 1:39 AM
  • The device is a USB MIDI controller. On all other OS's, it was a plug and play device that relied on Microsofts MIDI driver(s). Like I said, the device shows up, but will not install. From what I have read, it seems that Windows 8 isn't going to support it (MIDI) any time soon. Anyone have any more information on this?

Monday, October 22, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Did the device come with a driver CD? you might be able to extract the driver an manually install it

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:42 AM
  • The device does not have a driver. Like I said, the controller uses the MIDI driver(s) that normally come with Windows. I have read that Win 8 does not support MIDI at all.
    Monday, October 22, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi, MidiMike.

I Know it doesn't help you much, but Generic USB MIDI Adaptors are supported under Windows 8 - I'm using a cheap generic one to control an old commodore 64 Keyboard, which shows up in Device manager as a "USB MIDI Cable" natively (See Screenshot).

What hasn't been supported since Windows 7 (officially, at least) is the 15 pin Joystick/MIDI port that used to be found on a lot of soundcards, which results in a lot of the online confusion to do with MIDI Support.

This could be a bit tricky to get to the bottom of, as these kind of adaptors are often unbranded, and use an unmarked chipset (If it is branded, the make and model could really help out)

I can offer a bit of general advice;

- If you have a Windows XP/7/Vista Machine to hand, plug it in, and check the cable is recognised only as a MIDI Device, and it isn't trying to do something clever, like register as an ASIO Soundcard as well as a MIDI Cable.

- If you can grab the Hardware ID, Someone on the forums may be able to help:

Open Device manager (Right click the start area, device manager)

Right click the device, and click properties

Select the Details Tab

From the properties box, select hardware ID's and make a note of what appears in the Value Box

- As a last resort, You could try forcing the device to be recognised as a MIDI Controller, but this may not work or cause stability problems - if it does, you'll need to Open Device manager, Right click the Device, select properties, Click the Drivers Tab, and select Uninstall (Advance)

With that warning out of the way:

Open Device manager (Right click the start area, device manager)

Right click the device, and click Update Device Driver

Click Browse My Computer

click let me Pick From a list of devices on my computer

Untick Show Compatible hardware

This will list all the hardware .inf files available. Looking at an out of the Box Windows 8 Installation, the two most likely ones to work are:

Yamaha > Yamaha USB MIDI

(Generic USB Audio) > USB Audio Device

You can try each one in turn, uninstalling the device between turns

Click Next, then Click Close.

The device should then show up with the name of the driver you used, hopefully without a yellow exclamation mark, ready for testing.

• Edited by J Cutter Monday, October 22, 2012 6:33 PM Screenshot
    Monday, October 22, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Tried forcing the drivers already. Some installed without errors, but with no functionality. The device is an Akai Mini USB Keyboard. As in piano keyboard. I've tried drivers from similar devices as well without result. Irritating little issue.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:42 PM
  • try looking on ebay and see what is available for a replacement

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Hello, MidiMike.

It sounds like you've looked into this fairly thoroughly, but if you haven't already, it may be work running the MPK mini Preset Editor Software (Windows)

This Zip file doesn't contain any normal device manager .inf drivers, but looking at the files, it does contain some form of MIDIport interface for the built-in program.

I don't think it will pick up the keyboard in a way to get it working in other programs, but it would be interesting to see if can communicate with your MIDI keyboard at all.

Looking at Akai's forums, I think you've already posted there, but did you see these two threads Here and Here? It looks like some Akai products have similar problems running Under Windows 7, which is fixed by installing a fresh copy of the USB codec files.

If your Windows 8 installation is an upgrade rather than a clean install, you may have carried over an older driver with a problem.

An Akai forum user posted the files Here. They have a pretty comprehensive pdf instruction sheet attached. As the files appear to have been written for XP & Vista, but work on 7, there's a good chance they'll work on 8, too. If you're feeling adventurous, you could creating a system restore point, and running through those instructions.

• Marked as answer by MidiMike Friday, March 08, 2013 2:34 AM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:03 AM
  • I had a similar issue using a Tascam US-144 on W8. Installed legacy drivers, was recognized in the device manager. Audio worked fine, but could not get the midi working correctly. I replaced the Tascam box with an M-Audio Fast Track, and have not had any further problems.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Just in case anyone comes in search of a resolution to this problem with a E-MU Xboard 49 - This solution worked I chose the generic USB Audio Driver instead of the factory E-MU driver and it started the driver. THANKS...
    Monday, January 28, 2013 2:09 PM
  • J Cutter,

I let this go for a while, but recently came back to this thread and noticed your post. This installation of Windows 8 was an upgrade from Windows 7 and there was indeed a funky driver that came through. When I initially tried to copy the inf and sys files over to the system32 folder and the drivers folder, NTFS permissions blocked the copy. After some adjustments, I was able to make it stick and after a reboot, everything worked great. The PC recognizes and fully utilizes all of the features of the device. Its going great so far.

Thank you for providing the solution to my issue. My apologies for the delay.

• Edited by MidiMike Friday, March 08, 2013 2:45 AM
    Friday, March 08, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Guys, I finally found something that works.  At least for me... http://www.benryves.com/products/vistamidi  Even though it is called Vistamidi, I am running Windows 8 Pro.  I right-clicked it, and ran as administrator.  Now the output is going to my MIDI Keyboard!!!!!!  It only took a total of about 30 hours over the course of the last 2 years to figure this out.  Hopefully, I can save you from that same experience.
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:58 PM