WindowsUpdate_80243004" "WindowsUpdate_dt000

Question

• Hi everybody.
    Is anybody faced with WindowsUpdate_80243004" "WindowsUpdate_dt000 error message?
    This error message appear during update. I can see a list of availabke updates, but can not install it.

Saturday, September 05, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

• I was just bitten by this as well during a maintenance window while installing .  The "Always show all icons and notifications on taskbar" checkbox fix is, to put it kindly, rather surprising.  This was a real headscratcher and it took hours to find this thread, and the solution.  Where can we file a feature request for an easy way to view logs to determine where and how windows updates fail?
    Monday, March 19, 2012 11:20 PM

All replies

• There is little infornmation for this rare error. It may be a corrupt data store.

Try this procedure:

1. Open the start menu and type services. 
    2. Right mouse on services and run as administrator. 
    3. Stop the "Windows Update" service.
    4. Move the folder "C:\WINDOWS\software distribution" to the desktop. 
    5. Restart the windows update service.
    6. Retry windows update as you normally do. 

Duck.
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Hi Lord822,

I suggest you disable your antivirus applications since the updates may be blocked by your firewall.

Besides, you can try a SFC to check whether there are corrupt system files.

SFC

====

1. Click Start, please type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the Search programs and files bar and right click on the "cmd.exe" choose "Run as administrator".

2. Please type the following command and press Enter

SFC /Scannow

Note: System will take some time to scan for the system.

3. After scanning, please restart the computer.

If you would like to, you can send the following log files to me at ceciliazhou543@sina.com. I will check the logs for you.

WindowsUpdate

---------------

Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: %windir% and press Enter.  Locate a file named "WindowsUpdate".

Collect CBS.log

----------------

Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time, type: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS. Locate a file named CBS.

Good luck.

Cecilia Zhou
    Monday, September 07, 2009 8:12 AM
    • my screen is black cant see start up or any file. i can only go on line from were the update screen is. all my flie there because when i log in 2 face book i can upload pic. i'm get that code so it is a corrupted file so were can i find it 2 uninstall i think i ca get to my control panel
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Hey I have the same quest on with you ! I don't know why I can't install language package. And I download the english package from other sites but it failed to install. if you find out the reason please tell me thanks !
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:27 AM
  • Oh yes i the error message is same with mine
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:27 AM
  • In my case the problem was caused by strange looking notification area (big), so WUprobablycould not create systray icon. After I resized this area, the update immediately started and passed OK.
    • Proposed as answer by Doug T2 Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:43 PM
  • As absolutely ridiculous as this may sound, it turned out to the be exact problem I was having as well with a Server 2008 R2 instance following a SharePoint 2010 installation.  The System Tray was abnormally large and full of blank space.  Once it was resized, the Windows Updates installed without issue.  Stupidest thing I've ever seen.  Thanks Microsoft for wasting another couple hours of my life.
    • Proposed as answer by Russell JF Kirk Saturday, October 01, 2011 12:31 PM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Where do I find the 'tray' to resize?
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Although this thread is a bit old, problems with the tray seemed to be exactly what caused problems on two Test-Machines with Windows 7 Enterprise.

Resizing the tray did not work, so i decided to alter the language settings in order to force Windows to resize the tray. I just kicked the other languages i did not need. Immediately upon this, i noticed the Windows Update Tray Logo - in the mid of the taskbar :s, but the updates worked fine after this.

Thanks Pazu!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Amazing, but same solution here.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 9:25 PM
  • Amazingly bizarre error. Confirmed here on Windows Server 2008 R2. Fixed by selecting "Always show all icons and notifications on taskbar." Under Taskbar and Start Menu properties, Notification error.

An enlarged notification area then appeared with the WU icon in the middle of space and updates installed without issue.

Grey Convergence: The knowledge to enable secure communications and collaboration.
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit virtual machine. The [ selecting "Always show all icons and notifications on taskbar."  ] was the solution for me as well.  Odd part, this is one of three VM made from (copies of) same .VHD on same host, and only one which had this issue.  Thanks for finding the fix and sharing it here!
    WilliamL 10 PRINT $Signature 20 END
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Another confirmation here:

• SBS 2008
    • notification area filling up with blank spaces
    • no windows update notification icon

Start | typed: Notification Area Icons | Enter

• Checkmarked 'Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar'
    • notification area grew and shrunk a bit as i hovered over the blank spaces, then windows update icon apeared.

in Windows Update, selected Retry

• all outstanding updates were successful :)

Very odd.

Headless server here... Curious - anyone experience this through console? (not Remote Desktop/Terminal Server)

Monday, December 05, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Confirmed on 2008 r2 VM also. 
    , Kristofer Olafsson
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Amazing! Exactly what was needed. Thanks for saving me a lot of time.

Confirmed on 2008 R2 VMware vCenter v5 VM

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Same thing happened to me (17 months after OP!) on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64bit. After following the advice on showing all taskbar items, I got 5 of the 6 recommended updates to install. (I'll hit that one later, different error.)

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:03 AM
  • This just happened to me as well and was fixed by a reboot - however, having watched the whole process carefully, I realized what the difference was after the reboot.

Windows Update wants to pop that little balloon off the notification area icon for Windows Update that says "Downloading and installing updates..." and when the notification area is pranged for any reason, it hangs there until it fails with the 80243004 error code.

Once you fix the notification area with a reboot or changing the settings on the notification area, it can pop up that balloon and continue with the actual work of the update.

Sounds like a priority issue to me... I'm really okay with the balloon not popping up.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:10 PM
  • I was just bitten by this as well during a maintenance window while installing .  The "Always show all icons and notifications on taskbar" checkbox fix is, to put it kindly, rather surprising.  This was a real headscratcher and it took hours to find this thread, and the solution.  Where can we file a feature request for an easy way to view logs to determine where and how windows updates fail?
    Monday, March 19, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Thanks to those who helped track this down.  While we aren't able to provide a fix for this, we have created an updated Windows 7 article that covers how to work around and resolve the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/windows-update-error-0x80243004

Thank you for pitching in the issue and the best solutions for those affected by this!

Doug Neal - Microsoft Update and MBSA

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:00 PM
  • it worked Felix

Thanks so much!

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:51 AM
  • Wow, thank you for that solution, worked for me in a VM environment on W2008R2
    Monday, July 09, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Yep had this problem today!

Windows Update Error - 80243004

Pete 

Regards Pete Long http://www.petenetlive.com

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 3:28 PM
  • The Tray Icon workaround does work for this particular issue, however you might still be left with one or two blank spaces in your tray, or still be missing some icons like the the Network icon.

To fully fix it, follow the instructions in this KB Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945011 which are for Windows Vista/7 but also work for Windows Server 2008 R2.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:07 PM
  • I had the same issue on a Windows 2008 R2 vm.  Unlike others simply checking  'Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar' didn't fix it.  I had to hover over the empty spaces in the notification pop up.  As Matt_Still said as I moved the mouse around the box it began to shrink then suddenly the previously attempted updates window popped up to 'Try Again'.  Then the WU icon reappeared and all is well.  What a strange error. 
    Thursday, August 02, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Same thing here, 2008 R2 VM. Slected "~Show All~" and it worked.

Amazing.

Monday, September 03, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Same thing for me with 2008 R2 on VM.

After selcting  "Show All" in the notification taskbar it' OK.

Thanks Felix.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Same thing for me today.  2008 R2 VM.  Large systray with "empty" space.  I suspect it was actually showing invisible notifications.  Restarted Windows Update, checked for updates and downloading now.  Then I noticed the systray area growing again.  Hovering the mouse over it shrank it.  Something bizarre going on.  I have no "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" available for Windows update.  Downloads are continuing now though at least.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:02 PM
  • You can try to reboot the machine and check.
    • Proposed as answer by connerlink Friday, March 01, 2013 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Ok, thank you all.  You pointed me in the correct direction.  I am working on several Windows Server 2008 R2 and this happened on three of them before I started websearching the issue.  I utilized your direction and right clicked on the taskbar, selected properties.  On the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, under the taskbar tab, in the Notification area, select the Customize button.  Change the Windows Update behavior to Show icon and notifications.  This allowed me to install updates with no issues.

• Proposed as answer by connerlink Friday, March 01, 2013 7:16 PM
    Friday, March 01, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Absolutely unbelievable!!!  I had this issue about 2 minutes ago and read your post.  It worked.  Thanks!

Friday, April 12, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Wow, amazing, just happened to me on 2 Win2008R2 Server, the zone was full of blank icon, removed it and it passed after !! Thanks guys

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Monday, May 06, 2013 1:41 PM
  • I have a link to the posting that sofved the problem for me

on my home page at: h t t p : / / w w w . r u p e r t . i d . a u / t u t o r i a l s / e r r o r /

All I had to do was update my device driver as the new Hard disk I installes was a 500GB and the original Toshiba drive was a 320 GB drive

PS I had to place spaces inbetween each character in the above link as my Microsoft Forum acount has not been verified yet.

Good luck

Monday, June 17, 2013 6:43 AM
  • I rebooted. After the reboot I decided to right click and run as an administrator; it worked. I think I was burned by UAC.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:39 PM
  • thnx, i had the same issue on win2008 r2,  changed system icons "off" only for updates and that did the trick.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:14 PM
  • Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons

just "turn off" icons for the updates, then run your update.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:18 PM