none
XPMode Printing from DOS to LPT1 - almost there...

Question

• Hi all,

I've got a Lexmark Z510 printer attached to the USB port of a laptop running win 7 Pro 64.  XPMode is installed.  In XPMode I attach the printer from USB drop down, install 32 bit drivers, and share the printer with an 8.3 name, I set render print job on client computer.

I can print from Win7 host and XPMode virtual machine.  In XPMode DOS prompt I net use LPT1 to the XPMode share as a persistent connection.

From XPMode DOS I initiate a print job from my legacy DOS app to LPT1, the lexmark printer app opens, announces the printing has started, the printer head moves then returns, then the lexmark app announces the print job is complete.

However, nothing actually prints.

I have tried several different printers, some lexmark, some HP, with varying level of success.

I have read an account online of someone that got this to work and they used the universal lexmark driver with a printer that that driver supported (none of the lexmark I have work with the universal driver).

The Lexmark z510 is the only one that actually moved the print head (but did not print), the other attepmts failed short of that, some times I could not even detect the printer even though I had installed the drivers.

I am willing to purchase a different printer if there is one that is actually proven to work.  Information on the internet about this is sketchy, it seem few have gotten this to work.  I've been trying different things for 6 weeks now, I've exhausted everything I can think of doing.

Any help, links, guidance appreciated.

• Edited by vbuser114 Monday, February 20, 2012 2:17 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your update.

To further troubleshoot this issue, please perform the folowing steps.

1. Assign an IP address that is in a same subnet with host for XP Mode instead of NAT.
    2. Share the USB printer as a network printer rather than redirecting to XP Mode.
    3. Map this printer and install proper driver in XP Mode, then follow the method mentioned in KB314499

Best regards,
    Della Li

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We can try the methods in the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314499

Best regards,
    Della Li

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Yes, as I mentioned I did try this.  I have read everything I could find on the subject and I know how it should work, I just can't get it to work with any of my printers. 

I got the lexmark printer app to announce that "Printing has started-ed", it repeats the last part, and the print head moves, but the actual print job must be getting corrupted along the path from virtual machine to win 7.

I have read plenty of articles by people  that describe how to do it, I just wonder if any of them actually have...

I'm looking for specific printers and drives combination that are proven to work, or some other insight in why what I have done so far has not.

thx

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

To further troubleshoot this issue, please perform the folowing steps.

1. Assign an IP address that is in a same subnet with host for XP Mode instead of NAT.
    2. Share the USB printer as a network printer rather than redirecting to XP Mode.
    3. Map this printer and install proper driver in XP Mode, then follow the method mentioned in KB314499

Best regards,
    Della Li

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:58 AM