none
Tooltips show behind Taskbar

Answers

• Thanks for this info; I've passed this on to the right people within the SP3 team.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:53 PM

All replies

•  safirmt wrote:
    Example screenshot of this bug: http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1581/tooltipbehindtaskbarjh7.png

safirmt,

When I clicked on the link, neither can I see nor download the image (*.png) file. I'll try again later when the bandwidth is better.

Regards,

Thomas

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Imageshack tends to not like to display pictures in Firefox, so IE might help, although the pictured loaded fine for me in Firefox.

Most importantly, I have been annoyed by this hiding of the tooltip, for many years. Even in current SP3 v3311 this occurs. What causes this could be any number of things. How I resovle the issue: Reboot.
    This annoyance is in my top 3 of peeves, of which the others are: left click acts as mutliple selection right click, or my fave of clicking in a field highlights things you didnt want to
    Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:20 AM
  • Hi,

As per the KB article, you need to right click on sub-menus of start button. Did you do something like that to get this happening?

Resolution is mentioned in the Kb article as reboot/log off . Did it help?

Thanks
    Sid

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  

Logging off does not fix the hidden tooltip bubble. A complete restart of the system is needed.

Also, I have never opened a file in the manner described in the KB article, so the cause of the hidden tooltip goes beyond the example given.

I have had my tooltips bubble hidding just from mearly logging into MSN messenger or just switching from one application to another application in the taskbar.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Thank you all for your replies.

Example screenshot #2: http://www.erwin.ried.cl/img/articles/win_errors_01/err1_b.jpg

Example screenshot #3: http://www.bhall.com/uploaded_images/hiddentooltip.gif

Example screenshot #4: http://www.jbianchi.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/tooltip1.gif

Temporary solutions (with third-party utilites):

1) NirCmd command-line tool: nircmd win settopmost class "tooltips_class32" 1

2) ToolTipsFix

3) NeoSmart ToolTipFixer

I hope, Microsoft fix this bug in Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 3. Please!

Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Thanks for this info; I've passed this on to the right people within the SP3 team.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Just copy this into notepad and save it as a .reg file. Then double click it to add it to the registry. Reboot and it's sorted.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TooltipAnimation]

“SetWindowPos”=”HwndInsertAfter, Hwnd_Top”
    “SetForegroundWindow”=dword:00000001
    Tuesday, April 01, 2008 5:17 PM
  •  Johnny Ears wrote:
    Just copy this into notepad and save it as a .reg file. Then double click it to add it to the registry. Reboot and it's sorted.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TooltipAnimation]

“SetWindowPos”=”HwndInsertAfter, Hwnd_Top”
    “SetForegroundWindow”=dword:00000001

I tried this on 3 XP Pro machines and it worked on all of them.
    Thank you.
    Saturday, April 05, 2008 7:35 PM
  • Hello,

I'd like to add to this discussion that there is also a minor but somewhat annoying display bug in XP's image preview functionality, the Picture and Fax Viewer. I don't know where else to post this report, so please forgive me if I'm at the wrong place.

When you double-click on an image file to see a preview of it and the image is small enough to fit on the screen pixel-by-pixel, a vertical line of pixels in the center of the image is not shown. This happens regardless of the image file format.

Take, for example, http://www.ecodis.de/linetest.gif. This image contains one-pixel wide gray vertical lines spaced one pixel apart. When you view this GIF in Picture and Fax Viewer, you'll notice the dark gray line in the center of the image. This is the result of one of the white lines in between the gray lines being skipped. All other parts of the image are drawn correctly in a pixel-exact fashion.

Interestingly, this does NOT occur after browsing forward through a number of pictures. If you save linetest.gif in a folder with other images and preview one after the other by clicking forward in the viewer, the glitch does not occur. It does occur, though, if you browse backwards.

To my knowledge, this artifact has not been corrected in any service pack or update so far. I am very satisfied with the functionality of Picture and Fax Viewer. Are there any chances to release a fix for this soon (preferably in SP3)?

Best regards,

Christian

Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Johnny Ears, thanks for the registry entry. Works like a charm.
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:55 PM
  • Christian. I have never encountered the described verticle line bug. But, I did save the .gif to my desktop and previewed the image, and sure enough, the verticle line was there, and was gone after cycling forward, but then cycled back to the image, the line was back again. Interesting indeed. Thank you for bringing this to light.
    Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Mt.Dew, yes, I also only observed the glitch after viewing line drawings such as GIFs and PNGs. With regular photos, it's not much of an issue.
    Monday, April 07, 2008 10:15 AM
  • I have actually noticed amny many many times while previewing multiple image files and is noticeable when picture ****.* and ****a.* for example, one image will be full size (or it seems full size) and the next image is one vertical line narrower. ( I cycle pictures using the page back button on my mouse when i preview multiple images) I never gave it much thought until the demonstration of the gif you posted. Now that I know this problem/bug/"feature" existist beyond my own visual perception, maybe this could possible be fixed, even though it is rather insignificant to the many other problems the SP3 team is working on. But, now that I know it is not my mind playing tricks on me, the obsessive trouble-shooter side of me is screaming for a fix. LOL.
    Monday, April 07, 2008 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

I was having the same problem and found some of the fixes others have posted. I found a cool little utility called "Tool Tip Manager" (tooltipmanager.com) that allows you to change the colors, fonts, and timers for task bar tool tips. You can access the settings right from the task bar's context menu too. As an added bonus, it completely eliminates the hidden task bar tool tips! You can even make it beep when if fixes one.

I looked at all the other "fixes" out there but this one does not require that you have a separate program running or require you to have .net installed.

Good luck,

Jasen

Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:26 AM
  • I followed your instructions, with the reg. entries, but it only seems to work intermittently.  Any suggestions on how to get it to work everytime I boot up?

Friday, October 17, 2008 1:24 PM
  • Boy this bugged me quite alot over the years, and I never thought of looking it up until now (the problem with tooltips hiding).

For those of you who want a quick fix I have just discovered that killing the Explorer.exe process and restarting it works fine. I will however give that registry key fix a go!

For the uninitiated, here is the step by step resolution: Open Task Manager (Ctrl Shift Esc), go to the Processes tab and find Explorer.exe. Kill it and you will see the taskbar disappear. To restart it go to File -> New Task and then type 'explorer' into the text field and click OK. Problem solved!

However I am forever right-clicking sub-menus of the start menu, so it's pretty horrible to do this all the time...
    Friday, March 12, 2010 10:32 AM
  • I tried the registry edit hack and it didn't work! (had to manually set the values, it would not create the settings when double clicking a .reg file with the copied contents...
    Monday, March 29, 2010 3:35 PM