none
How does "System cooling policy" function work?

Question

• How does "System cooling policy" work? I can't see any different between Active and Passive.

"System cooling policy" is a power setting item for Processor under the power options of Windows 7 .
    You can see it at Power options -> chang plan setting -> advanced power setting -> Processor power management

I can't see System slows the Precessor before Cpu-Fan speed up for CPU over-heat.
    It is the same for select the Power plan as Balanced or High performance.
    I have tried to close the EIST function too.
    But it is still the same.

I use intel TAT tool to monitor the CPU temperature and performance.

Monday, May 11, 2009 7:37 AM

Answers

• To answer your question of "How does the policy work?" well you already answered that. Active slows down the processor after speeding up the fan, and passive slows down the processor before speeding up the fan. It should be considered a good thing that you don't notice the slow down. That, however, does not mean it is not working. As long as you hear the fan rev up, you know that your computer is adequately responding to overheating.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:59 PM

All replies

• To answer your question of "How does the policy work?" well you already answered that. Active slows down the processor after speeding up the fan, and passive slows down the processor before speeding up the fan. It should be considered a good thing that you don't notice the slow down. That, however, does not mean it is not working. As long as you hear the fan rev up, you know that your computer is adequately responding to overheating.
    Friday, May 22, 2009 9:59 PM
  • In short: when active the fan speed on your laptop will constantly work and cool your laptop. on passive it doesn't work unless the temp is too high and it's forced to cool down the PC. Exept a bit more noise, I think active is the best choise.

Hope it helped.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 11:53 AM