none
upgrade from win 7 home to win 7 pro wihtout loosing data?!!

Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to upgrade from win 7 home to win 7 pro, i used the famous "Windows Anytime Upgrade", chose enter an upgrade key, used a key that I never used before (from MAPS program) and it fails (knowing that I did it some 10 times successfully  using another similar key, tehn I called microsoft (as usual you go through a bunch of departments before you know that your issue will NOT be solved -sorry being so direct but this the unfortunate reality-), they told me that if you don't use the "windows any time upgrade" tool 90 days after activating the original OS (win 7 home in this case) you won't be able to upgrade unless you do a fresh install, I tried to install from CD (upgrade actually not to loose my data), but Mr windows say : hey go and use the "windows anytime upgrade".....:( stuck...

I know that I can backup the data and rebuilt the PC but don't want to loose our employee's installed softwares, and he's saying we're in 2011 THIS CANT be THE ONLY SOLUTION that microsoft has!!

anyone know how to upgrade without loosing thinstalled apps?

Khalid Touati Network Administrator at Endosoft
    • Edited by khalid55 Wednesday, July 06, 2011 7:23 PM typos
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• An evaluartion Windows 7 license will require a "clean install".  The computer cannot be used in a production envirmonment...only for testing purposes.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by khalid55 Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:41 PM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• In order to perform a Windows Anytime Upgrade from an existing Windows 7 Home Premium Edition to Windows 7 Professional, you'll need to purchase a conventional Windows Anytime Upgrade: Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional license for each computer you wish to upgrade.  MAPS Windows 7 licenses are evaluation licenses and cannot be used for Windows Anytime Upgrading.
    Carey Frisch
    • Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by khalid55 Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:55 PM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:12 PM
  • Thanks, Exactly what I was told when I called microsoft, but as I said: I was able to use those "evaluation licenses" to upgrade 7 to 10 times, not once or twice, sorry to disagree with you but it is possible, and I am pretty sure I am not halucinating :) cause I did it every time in front off tech guys that knew what I was doing and remembered that practise.

• Marked as answer by khalid55 Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:55 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by khalid55 Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Hi,

ok let's say I dont have the 70 bucks to puchase the upgrade key and I want to use these "evluation licenses", what is the solution that is available? manual backup then wiping out the machine and installing the pro "evaluation" version?

Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:58 PM
  • An evaluartion Windows 7 license will require a "clean install".  The computer cannot be used in a production envirmonment...only for testing purposes.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by khalid55 Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:41 PM
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Thnak you!
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Actually, if you already bought the disks and you try to upgrade from the disks without wiping out your preinstalled software, it is NOT possible. You have to rebuy the anytime upgrade.

What a waste of time and money. I spent 5 hours on support with Microsoft (Case # 1157638517), HP (no Case #), and Costco Case# 3132667). I bought an HP from COSTCO with windows 7 home premium installed and bought a windows 7 professional upgrade for $189! on top of the price of the computer!! When I tried to upgrade I received a message that  

"To upgrade from one edition of Windows 7 to another edition of Windows 7, use Windows Anytime Upgrade. Cancel the upgrade, open the Start menu, and search for Windows Anytime Upgrade"

The anytime upgrade does not accept product Keys. You have to REBUY an anytime update key from the online microsoft store for another $89!

After 4 dropped calls, 4 differernt microsoft techs, doing 3 hours of bullshit updates and diagnostics on my computer, the head tech told me that it is not possible to upgrade without losing all of the preinstalled software on my new computer. He said I should return my opened and used copy of the upgrade disks to COSTCO and buy the anytime update from the web store. They recognize that it is possible to do a custom install that wipes out all of the HP loaded software I paid for with the machine, but I refused. He seemed to think that the potential losss of the HP software is an HP problem rather than extremely poor microsoft design and support.

Even after I threatened to return all computers and software, move the whole family and my business to Macs, he still insisted that there was nothing he could help me with even though I had bought the damn software twice.

Both COSTCO and HP support were the same. They understand and recognize the problem, but DO NOT CARE. HP said they could solve the problem for an additional $199 support charge! COSTCO's consierge support says it is a microsoft failing that they can't do anything about. Even though I bought both products from them and it would be reasonable to think that a software package that says UPGRADE should work to upgrade.

DO NOT BUY these products. Stop Putting up with bad design, support and service.

I will be posting copies of this everywhere I can and will no longer suppoort these products in ANY way.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 1:23 AM