none
universal naming convention

Answers

• I do not understand your question. Please tell us in more detail what you are trying to do and what is happening.
    Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:18 PM
  • ^ ^ ^ Seconded.  I'd also add "why would you want to disable UNC functionality?"  There's no security risk to it, and it greatly simplifies networking, being able to use machine names, rather than IP addresses, to connect to any shares on your LAN.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:15 PM

All replies

• I do not understand your question. Please tell us in more detail what you are trying to do and what is happening.
    Ned Pyle [MSFT] - MS Enterprise Platforms Support - Beta Team
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:18 PM
  • ^ ^ ^ Seconded.  I'd also add "why would you want to disable UNC functionality?"  There's no security risk to it, and it greatly simplifies networking, being able to use machine names, rather than IP addresses, to connect to any shares on your LAN.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:15 PM
  • I need to disable it because mitchell software requires it
    Is there a way
    • Edited by gclary2 Friday, March 02, 2012 5:10 PM
    Friday, March 02, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Now why does that not surprise me? A MS Tech does NOT know basic networking.

We need to shut off UNC naming convention, for some reason out Network installed it - We can't USE it. So how in hell do we shut it off? If you dont know, then shut the hell up and find us someone who DOES

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:44 PM
  • I am having the same problem - Mitchell ManagerPlus needs to hav it shut the hell off. I have heard of this problem, this is the fiest time it has ever happpened to me during an Install.
    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:45 PM
  • How can someone have marked this response as HELPFUL or ANSWER when it does NOTHING.

WE are trying to run an install across the network, when it gets to a certain point, it halts and says "cant continue because UNC naming conventions are in use" - OK, well then, HOW do we shut them off? Is it a setting in our network card config?

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:47 PM