none
Windows 8.1 - Brightness control issues!!

Question

• Microsoft - Nowhere in all the communications you've posted here have you even remotely taken responsibility for this bug! The first time we go to adjust the screen brightness after updating to 8.1 - the screen goes down to it's minimum brightness setting and will not adjust, no matter how we try to adjust it. My P500 Lenovo had the same issue. I talked with Lenovo support and they knew the driver that was included in your 8.1 update was the problem. We tried installing an 8.0 driver & a driver from the Intel site to no avail. Lenovo support finally installed a basic Microsoft driver which solved the issue! My question - at this point - is, if it's obviously a problem related to the 8.1 update - when can we expect a fix? When 8.2 comes up - do we dare assume that the driver in it will be solving the problem - or will it reintroduce it? As customers who purchase your product - we expect better communication regarding issues that crop up. We don't expect perfection - just integrity!
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi

I have two point here

1. I believe most of manufactured like Lenovo or any other manufactured laptop or PC already have machine that they tested using windows 8.1 right now (example OEM machine). Soon after they found specific hardware which not compatible or need update, they will launch latest update driver at their site, also the specific HW like wireless vendor, graphic card ect.

2. Hardware need to update, most of that Hardware tasted in the latest OS technology, if your hardware comes before Windows 8.1 they need to update.

We need to wait for the driver update, I suggest you not to update first if you are not convenience with this situation. Check your hardware spec, find Windows 8.1 driver or update from their specific manufactured site or your laptop manufactured. You can also used this upgrade assistant 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:41 AM

All replies

• I shall suggest you to uninstall and reinstall graphic driver.

Intel has already come out with graphic driver designed for Windows 8.1 32bit  and Windows 8.1 64bit.It is available in Lenovo's website and it is applicable for P500.There is absolutely no need to install the graphic card driver made for windows 8 when the driver for windows 8.1 is available in manufacturer's site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Video Driver for Windows 8.1(32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad Z400, Z400 Touch, Z500, Z500 Touch, P500 ...
    Version
    : 9.17.10.3223/10.18.10.3277

Intel Video Driver for 32-bit Windows   

Intel Video Driver for 64-bit Windows   
    Windows 8.1 32bit
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    16 Oct 2013

Ref:-

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS032589

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Friday, December 27, 2013 12:39 AM
  • Hi

I have two point here

1. I believe most of manufactured like Lenovo or any other manufactured laptop or PC already have machine that they tested using windows 8.1 right now (example OEM machine). Soon after they found specific hardware which not compatible or need update, they will launch latest update driver at their site, also the specific HW like wireless vendor, graphic card ect.

2. Hardware need to update, most of that Hardware tasted in the latest OS technology, if your hardware comes before Windows 8.1 they need to update.

We need to wait for the driver update, I suggest you not to update first if you are not convenience with this situation. Check your hardware spec, find Windows 8.1 driver or update from their specific manufactured site or your laptop manufactured. You can also used this upgrade assistant 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:41 AM
  • I found that with my Dell tablet the problem seemed to be with the "auto brightness" feature. Search for brightness and select "Turn auto brightness on or off" and turn it off and the controls work fine.
    • Proposed as answer by Euglossine Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:27 AM
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:26 AM
  • I have two points here:

1. The Lenovo driver provided at their site works for brightness control and multiple monitors, but it does not work for newer graphics functions in the web browser and media player.

2. I would use the Lenovo-provider if I could, but each night Windows Update runs and re-installs a Microsoft-provided driver that makes brightness control and multiple monitors not work.

Like the other users on this thread, I am frustrated that this has been going on for so long without a fix, and that there isn't a clear/good workaround here. This is clearly a Microsoft bug as evidence by all of the other posts:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/brightness-wont-adjust-with-windows-81/2d18e6b3-0215-41f4-a63b-52d97a972255

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/screen-brightness-adjustment-doesnt-work-in/f5fc9687-8fc6-439d-a6a6-6fce07b1cbec

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4eb93ad7-5ec1-443a-a294-bc0500ef33c8/windows-81-update-causes-lost-brightness-settings-screen-is-dim?forum=w8itprogeneral

Please provide a fix and/or guidance.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:47 PM
  • Just another angle to consider- I agree Microsoft is NOT responsible for all of the OEM hardware out there, that they are responsible for the plain/simple video driver used to get a PC up and running. This backlight dim problem is clearly a Lenovo issue to deal with.  They need to feedback their needs to Intel, or whomever is writing the Intel drivers these days (it' not Microsoft, right?).  But ... Microsoft should develop a way where Windows Update does not auto-install, overwriting our manually chosen older working driver.  I like Windows Update auto-installing everything else on my Z400 PC, but not the HD4000 driver.  How can I mark this exception?  Or how can Lenovo control these when Intel posts a new driver? I don't think there is a way right now, and Windows Update is Microsoft's baby.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:57 PM