none
how to enable telnet server on XP Pro

Question

• I've found this in the help, which seems to indicate that there is a telnet server for Windows XP:

ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\telnet.chm::/telnetserver_und_conceptstopnode.htm

(copy the whole line including the ms-its into Internet Explorer, I don't think it will work in anything else but IE, and if you're using a dual-boot system with XP as the second OS, change the C:\ to a d:\)

Could somebody point me to a walkthrough on how to install and configure it? My google searches keep giving me results for Server 2000, Server 2003, or how to use the Telnet CLIENT in XP to connect to a telnet server.

If nobody can find a link, could somebody please post a walk-through? I can't find any interface for doing so, nor a list of command line commands to do it the hard way.

Oh, I know all about the weaknesses and limitations of telnet and why it's been replaced with SSH. I'm not concerned about the cleartext passwords as long as the traffic is restricted to the 4-port switch on my home network (192.168.1.0/24 subnet).

• Edited by SlickRCBD Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:17 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:14 AM

Answers

• I followed a tutorial for Server 2003 and got it working with Server 2003. I was then able to log in to my XP machine from the server 2003 virtual machine by disabling NTLM authentication using the command "tlntadmn config sec=-NTLM".

This makes no sense. I haven't tried to use telnet to log in on anything less than Windows XP Professional. Granted, the method I've been using to attempt to connect is to type "telnet slickswintel" or "telnet 192.168.1.98" (I have hosts files and static IP addresses, at least for the desktops. The laptop uses DHCP, but shares a copy of the hosts file) at the command prompt, but shouldn't the Microsoft Telnet program know how to use NTLM?

Is this something to do with the fact that they technically aren't the same user accounts and [probably] don't have the same SIDs, since they are local machine accounts that just happen to have the same logins and passwords? I'm NOT using a domain.

• Marked as answer by SlickRCBD Thursday, February 09, 2012 11:28 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:39 AM
  • Yes, the problem went away when I issued the command

tlntadmn config sec=-NTLM

as indicated in my last post.

I created the "TelnetClients" group, added appropriate users, and then followed this procedure:

http://www.petri.co.il/enable_telnet_on_windows_2003.htm

Once I issued that command, everything was honkey dorey.

Oh, XP Home users can create the TelnetClients group via

net localgroup TelnetClients /add

then add the users with

net localgroup TelnetClients UserName1 UserName2 /add

where you substitute the actual usernames for UserName1 & UserName2, etc.

(feel free to mark this as the answer since I can't mark myself)

• Marked as answer by SlickRCBD Friday, September 27, 2013 5:57 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:56 AM

All replies

• Telnet Server is installed by default but disabled in the Service Control Panel. Right click on "My Computer" choose "Manage". Expand "Services and Applications" choose "Services" and "Telnet" from the list. You can then set it to start automatically.
    Saturday, January 21, 2012 6:32 PM
  • OK, I did that, then tried "telnet slickswintel" on my laptop. Both that, and using the IP address gave me the following error message:

Access Denied: Specified user is not a member of TelnetClients group.
    Server administrator must add this user to the above group.

Telnet Server has closed the connection

Connection to host lost.

This happens with both the regular user account and the admin account. Both accounts have the same user names and passwords on both machines and can access the desktop via Remote Desktop Client.

There is no built-in group called "TelnetClients". I have confirmed that it is not present on either the laptop or the desktop, nor the old "virgin" virtual machine from when I was in school. Should I create such a group myself in local users and groups?

I could really use a tutorial on how to set up telnet on XP. Or at least some hints if I should read the 2003 tutorials.

• Edited by SlickRCBD Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:21 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:20 AM
  • I followed a tutorial for Server 2003 and got it working with Server 2003. I was then able to log in to my XP machine from the server 2003 virtual machine by disabling NTLM authentication using the command "tlntadmn config sec=-NTLM".

This makes no sense. I haven't tried to use telnet to log in on anything less than Windows XP Professional. Granted, the method I've been using to attempt to connect is to type "telnet slickswintel" or "telnet 192.168.1.98" (I have hosts files and static IP addresses, at least for the desktops. The laptop uses DHCP, but shares a copy of the hosts file) at the command prompt, but shouldn't the Microsoft Telnet program know how to use NTLM?

Is this something to do with the fact that they technically aren't the same user accounts and [probably] don't have the same SIDs, since they are local machine accounts that just happen to have the same logins and passwords? I'm NOT using a domain.

• Marked as answer by SlickRCBD Thursday, February 09, 2012 11:28 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:39 AM
  • Were you able to get you telnet server configured? If not email me at banshee52000 at yahoo dot com and I can help walk you through it

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Yes, the problem went away when I issued the command

tlntadmn config sec=-NTLM

as indicated in my last post.

I created the "TelnetClients" group, added appropriate users, and then followed this procedure:

http://www.petri.co.il/enable_telnet_on_windows_2003.htm

Once I issued that command, everything was honkey dorey.

Oh, XP Home users can create the TelnetClients group via

net localgroup TelnetClients /add

then add the users with

net localgroup TelnetClients UserName1 UserName2 /add

where you substitute the actual usernames for UserName1 & UserName2, etc.

(feel free to mark this as the answer since I can't mark myself)

• Marked as answer by SlickRCBD Friday, September 27, 2013 5:57 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:56 AM