none
Change Office 2010 product key from MAK to KMS on thousands of XP machines.

Question

• We recently purchased a campus agreement through Microsoft.  At the same time I have been building a new image to re-image all computers over the summer break (school district).  We were given a license to use to activate Office 2010.  I used this in the image and it turns out that it's a MAK key with limited uses (which we've already surpassed).  We are still waiting on Microsoft to supply our KMS key for this product but I have been trying to find out how to convert the machines that have already been imaged without re-imaging or reinstalling office.  There will be thousands of machines so I need to script this somehow or push it through SCCM.  I've read about slmgr & vamt, but neither of these work on XP.  Please help!
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:41 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3))
    Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

the following commands will be needed and can be scripted:

Run the following ospp.vbs from this folder %programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14.

Use csript to get no msgbox from the Script Echo.

Here are the needed steps in the script.

1. cscript ospp.vbs /inpkey:<kms product key>

The required KMS Office key you get here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624355.aspx#section2-3

2. cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:<kms.dns.name>

This is needed if you want set your kms server name manually

3.  cscript ospp.vbs /act

This step activates you Office Installation.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Proposed as answer by Tim Trahan Friday, November 09, 2012 9:49 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Thank you... I can't wait to try it.  Are you saying that I can use the KMS key in the link you provided and I don't have to wait for my key to show up at licensing.microsoft.com?
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Your have a Office 2010 KMS Server installed?

This Key is required for the activation and have to be applied on the kms server only.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:12 PM
  • I believe the company we are working with has installed the Office 2010 KMS Server.  I'm still a bit confused though.  So the clients use the key on the link you sent me, and then the server would use the key I get from licensing.microsoft.com?  According to our Microsoft rep we are supposed to get our keys "today at the latest" but I've already been waiting 2 weeks so I'm not holding my breath.
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:17 PM
  • yes. the clients use the kms key. This key is taken by the setup when you install MS Office without a product key. The KMS Server hosts the KMS Key and activates the clients. They don't need the KMS Key.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Sorry if I seem a bit confused, but after we purchased our campus agreement, I was told by Microsoft that we would get a all of our keys on the licensing.microsoft.com website.  I was pressed for time and had to have the new image built so that our site techs can re-image all the machines this summer. First, I was told to "just keep waiting till the key shows up".  Then I was told to use the "web apps activation key" from our downloads page on that website (which didn't work).  Then I was "generated" a key that would work.  Which did, so I built the image using it only to find out the next week that it was a MAK key good for only 100 uses.  So now I have over 1000 machines that I have to fix. I'm just wondering why they didn't tell me to use this KMS key that you pointed me to instead of giving me a MAK key that was only good for 100 machines.  I am still trying to wrap my head around this.  Does everybody use the same KMS key on the link you gave me... like it's just some generic key that works no matter what organization?  I wish I knew this sooner.

Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:30 PM
  • Also, I forgot to mention we are migrating from Novell to Microsoft... so a lot of this is very new to me.  I'm used to using 1 volume license key for a product and then not having to worry about it ever again.
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:35 PM
  • The KMS Client Setup Key (which can be found on the link posted above) just tells Office to contact a KMS host to request activation.
    The key you'll get from licensing.microsoft.com enables your KMS host server to satisfy those requests.

In the future, you can use the Office administrative install to have Office activate via KMS. This page has more links that may walk you through everything:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx#Licensing_and_user_interface

You will probably want to look at VAMT 2.0, it may save you some trouble trying to migrate the MAK installs to KMS.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582

• Edited by Andrew Vermie Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:31 PM made links work
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 6:23 PM
  • If you have 15 office installtions to be activated the method you would use is MAK.

MAK proxy activation steps
    To activate Office 2010 by using MAK proxy through VAMT, follow these steps.

In VAMT, under Product Keys, enter the MAK key in the Product Key field, and then click Verify.

Right-click the computer on which you want to install the MAK key, select Install Product Key, select the MAK key, and then click OK.

To activate Office 2010, right-click the computer name, select Activate, and then select Proxy Activate.
    Refer: http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/library/ff603512(en-us).aspx 

You need to use KMS only if you have more than 50 office installations to be activated.

Overview of KMS activation
    If your organization has 50 or more computers that need to activate Office 2010, we recommend that you use Key Management Service (KMS). KMS activates the computers, or KMS clients, from a KMS host server that contains a KMS host key that is supplied by Microsoft.

Refer: http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/library/ff603508(en-us).aspx

Also refer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee691939.aspx for Office Activation Guide.

• Proposed as answer by Steven GJ Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:57 PM
  • MS Office 2010 only requires 5 copies to use KMS not 50. Please check Microsoft Documentation prior to making this claim as it is NOT correct. KMS for Win 7 is 25 and Office 2010 is 5. 
    Tuesday, June 05, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Hi!

I hope there's still some life in this old thread.

Up until now we've been using MAK licenses for activation, but since our latest renewal of our license packages we thought we'd give KMS a try. Our environment has ~100 clients running Windows 7 Professional and Microsoft Office Professional Plus, so KMS should the recommended option for activation.

I've managed to activate the operating systems using the GVLK for Windows 7 Professional posted here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793406.aspx

But I haven't been able to find a similar GVLK key for Office 2010 Professional Plus.

The link to the Office 2010 key in this thread now points to the location of GVLK keys for Office 2013. I've searched and serached for a GVLK key for Office 2010 but only find editions on non-microsoft websites.

Any clues as to where I can find it so I can use VAMT instead of having to reimage/reinstall Office on all computers?

/Chris

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 10:40 AM