Please STOP asking Vista CD-Key and direct Download Link in here.

Question

• Dear all,

I find too much posts in here is asking for the CD-Key and direct download link for Vista RC2. So, I want to make it clear:

If you get Vista beta/RC in a official way, you can easily locate the CD-Key from the download page!

For example, if you download the Vista from the Microsoft public site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

After you use your Passport account to logon, your KEY will display automatically and MS will email the key to that passport account.(If you can't find the email, it may be moved to the JUNK mail folder by your email program/server, so please check it.)
    However, if you skip the logon steps and use the direct download link to download Vista, NO CD-Key will be given!

If you download Vista from MSDN/Technet Subscriber site(NOTES: It's is a paid services! It's not free! Don't confuse with the free download at MSDN/Technet site)
    The Cd-Key will will shown at the download page.

Vista RC2 can also be download from the CONNECT site. But it's by MS invite ONLY! If you are not invited by MS to download Vista, you will get info on how to access it.(NOTES: MS invite the peoples which it wants, you can't request MS to do so.) The CD-Key also shown in the download page too.

AND! Public download of Vista RC2 at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx was already CLOSED! NO MORE RC2 download avaliable. MS only leave the RC1 for download now! If you really want to try Vista RC2, please paid to subscribe the MSDN/Technet subscription services. Once again, they are PAID services!

All the others methods to download Vista are not SUPPORTED by Microsoft. Distribute or download Vista to/from others site without MS permission is illegal. Please DON'T talk about them in here!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 7:35 PM

Answers

• I'd like to add that Product Key is found at the end of the e-mail (many users get a quick look and get lazy to read the mail to it's end).

Good luck

Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:30 PM
  • It was becuase MS set a limit of the public download. Limit reached, then close.

If you company is such a large customer of MS, I think you compay should get MSDN subscription, it include ALL MS software for you.

Also, if you company is large enough, I think MS will let your company become TAP customer, which can try new MS products when they beta.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 3:26 PM
  • Sorry, what your problem?

Bu the way, the Vista beta program was closed! So, no more key will be issue.

Sunday, November 19, 2006 8:04 PM
  •  JustinP wrote:

easterbunny wrote:
    By the sounds of it, you are a CPP user, not a Beta user. Beta users have subscriptions to MSDN or TechNet, I believe.

CCP user, yeah sounds like. thanks for the feedback.

So this leads to another question... anyone know about a discount on Vista for CCP users? I'm kinda screwed since I do not have my WinXP CD anymore, did a clean install of Vista and will have no choice but to purchase Vista... or hack this build.

As I know, the answer is NO.No discount.

Monday, November 20, 2006 2:48 AM

All replies

• I'd like to add that Product Key is found at the end of the e-mail (many users get a quick look and get lazy to read the mail to it's end).

Good luck

Sunday, October 15, 2006 8:30 PM
  • thx!
    Monday, October 16, 2006 6:06 AM
  • You're very welcomed
    Monday, October 16, 2006 4:58 PM
  •  

Hi there,

I would like to share some frustration:

1. MS makes you all happy, giving you the option to download betas
    2. Then RC1 (yippee!)
    3. Then one finds out that RC2 is not available because the download link has already been removed

Strange involvement of beta testers if you ask me.

I would also like to add that RC1 is not close to being finished:

• "XP support" is unfortunately still too limited / not working most of the time
    • Not all hardware is compatible yet (Acer is a good example!! Hello Acer are you listening! :))
    • Many legacy (XP) applications simply do not work yet
    • Even the most standard functionality (bluetooth) is not working properly for me
    • Various new applications just stop working

If at MS you say tat the product is soon going to be released into the public, I would be willing to buy it (!), but only with top support for fixing the many outstanding problems. Personally, I think it's too soon to release Vista because it will not help your reputation if you release a product that has so many bugs in it, but I am looking forward to it at the same time.

Two suggestions in the meantime:

1. Improve / include a good problem reporting tool (an improved version of the Microsoft Beta Client if you will), so that we can all help Vista make better
    2. Tell hardware manufacturers that if they slap the "Vista Capable / Vista Ready" logo on systems that they better make sure their device drivers work - so far, it's been disappointing to say the least.

Cheers,

MC

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:20 PM
  • Beta testers still have access to 5744. CPP are not Beta testers.

Vista will RTM on the 25th of Oct.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:39 PM
  • I will have to agree SAM-R, CPP was a good idea for MS to release. It got alot of people out there who were interested to try it out. I think that some people are being to critical about the issues with RC1. I have been using RC2 since it was release on connect and I will have to tell you there are vast improvements between the 2. MS is doing all they can to make this the best product out there... I for one thing it is great.. Comparded to what it was on the first initial release before the CCP release werew bad.. (thank goodness for test machines) I am now using RC2 on my mainstream home PC b/c it is so stable.. **even my wife likes it lol**... I can't wait for RTM to be release for testing.. But then again the lot of us who have been testing it long before Beta 2 came out have seen it progression from something I was scared to use to the product today which I believe MS has done a great job.. I understand some peoples agitation on the CPP program.. I think it was amazing the MS release a beta OS to so many people to try and give there feedback.. yes there was problems and issues but that is the whole purpose of beta testing IMHO... Well I guess I need to get off of my soapbox for now.. I normally don't vent... lol... just try to help people out...

**but to everyone out there who participated in the CCP you have got a taste of what is to come... Don't bad mouth MS they could have just left it the the testers or the ones paying for the privlage for beta software... I remeber XP never got a public beta that I can remember and I remember Beta testing XP and let me tell you it was much worse than anything we have see with Vista...**

Chris

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:27 PM
  • Totally agree!
    Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:10 AM
  •  

SAM-R, Busybox - thanks for the feedback. Didn't know there was a distinction between beta testers and CPPs.

I would definitely agree that MS has done a fabulous job in terms of moving forward with Vista; the engine is much quicker, integration (mobile connect, audio+video streaming, wireless) is much better... and the interface (AERO) is beautiful! Even my mother would be able to install and use Vista - very userfriendly.

However, although it's possible to run programs in XP SP2 mode, there are lots of compatibility issues with hardware providers. My main comment is around the fact that the stickers "vista compatible / ready" should only be accepted by MS when hardware providers can prove that their drivers and software actually work. I call this mis-selling.

I do think that if MS makes RC1 available to CPPs, and gives out serial numbers, then it would only make sense to involve CPPs in the forth-coming releases too - until RTM. That said, is there a way to become beta tester by any chance? I do want to help build the best system and provide as much feedback and ideas/recommendations/solutions as possible :-)

MC

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 1:14 PM
  • MC,

I do agree with you on the aspect of getting further beta's, however I will tell you also that I believe MS should pick and choose which CCP participants gets access to it, some like yourself really want to help and put in good imput and report there issues and try to make a better product for all off us.. However there are alos alot of ppl that still don't seem to understant exactly what a beta is and like to complain about issues they are having.. rather than try to find a solution.. I have found a number of solution and work around.. I have tried to post all of the here to help others out while always reporting them to MS to try to make a better product.. Also you best way to start with beta is goto connect.microsoft.com and sign up look through everything that is currently in beta and submit to beta them... give good feedback to MS and constantly see what is new.. You will eventually get invitations in the future to things like upcoming OS's and other products that others don't even know about... but it is a good start.. also sign up at betaplace and just keep looking.. Becoming a tester is not a quick process seems to take alot for MS to start handing out new betas but that is understood... but just become active with as much as you can... and you will get lucky one day... also if you have the $$$ sign up for MSDN/Technet and get access to everything.. yes it is pricey but well worth it.

Chris

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 1:51 PM
  • That's it Richard!!  No more coffee for you! 
    Friday, October 20, 2006 5:20 AM
  • So it's my turn for the coffee
    Friday, October 20, 2006 6:56 PM
  • i got i Legal whit my CD winXp sp2 and i got CD key Too .my problem is not the CD key .... sorry for asking ...i hate hack and stolen suff... i paid for my key Thrug my winXp sp2 i accept im too slow and i didnot get it it as the fist 100.000 dowload i run whit this Rc1 becure my winXp sp2 security suks ...so sorry sorry for asking about this link....
    Monday, October 23, 2006 10:15 AM
  • it's really closed for public download. Sorry about that.
    Monday, October 23, 2006 10:40 AM
  • its ok i wait  ... i got a  prety big machine so it run whit and whitout erros the  point is the secyrity is better in the Vista rc1 then winXp sp2 so i can wait ... so good luck testing the Rc2 .
    Monday, October 23, 2006 11:15 AM
  • welcome!
    Tuesday, October 24, 2006 5:31 AM
  • Please explain why MS has limited distro of Vista RC2.  I was just at the Gartner Symposium/ITxpo event (8-13 Oct 06) in Orlando, FL, and participated in the hands-on Vista lab.  They gave all lab participants RC1 instead of RC2, but my understanding is that RC2 was out at that time.  Was RC2 only made available to MSDN/Technet subscribers?  Could I possibly get it through my company (which is one of Microsoft's largest customers and has an enterprise license agreement for OS and Office software)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:45 AM
  • It was becuase MS set a limit of the public download. Limit reached, then close.

If you company is such a large customer of MS, I think you compay should get MSDN subscription, it include ALL MS software for you.

Also, if you company is large enough, I think MS will let your company become TAP customer, which can try new MS products when they beta.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 3:26 PM
  • Thanks, Richard - I'll check w/ my company on MSDN or TAP...
    Friday, October 27, 2006 10:44 AM
  • welcome!
    Friday, October 27, 2006 7:13 PM
  •  SAM-R wrote:

Beta testers still have access to 5744. CPP are not Beta testers.

Vista will RTM on the 25th of Oct.

I have been unable to find a download link for beta testers.  I have been in since Beta 2, where can I find RC2?
    Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:39 PM
  • Hi, he is talking about CONNECT user.

Public beta tester will not get the link now.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:57 PM
  • I think it's, No I know it's bullcrap that MS decides that fewer people than what have RC1 can have RC2. If it's not ready for public that's one thing but this just pisses me off.

Here I am risking my computers stability and having an impossible time finding drivers for RC1  and MS can't even let us have the updates via windows update?! What the hell! I can't learn to code nor use the environment, cause nothing full screen 3D works PERIOD and MS refuses me the updates, *** that. It's just wrong. Do they want to beta this damned thing or not? Why the *** even put it on the net for download, why the *** in a beta even screw with a cd-key anyways?! It's unecessary for a beta, that should be the last item in so as to keep it a newer more unknown element to the hacker *** heads that made XP a pain in the *** to use.

I apologize for my language but damn it that just runs through me that I would put my computer on the line and I expected better. At least access for those that have keys to RC 1 to be able to use RC2 and why does everything about Vista have to be tucked away so damned hard to locate anyways. Beta the damned thing or not but make up your mind. You've already sold me on it, IF Creative Labs, Nvidia and MS get their heads out of their asses.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:19 AM
  • Just one note, using beta product need you to self-troubleshoot it. No offical support from MS was given. If you feel not comfortable, you can just wait the RTM come and use it. At that time, Offical support will be given.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 5:39 AM
  • I have been using Vista since Beta 2, and there have been a few issues with it, which were resolved through the updates. I am also disappointed that Microsoft decided not to allow updates for RC1 users, but it's not something to get overly upset about. I believe that you should be happy, even privileged, to be testing an operating system for free. Consider, for those who have an MSDN or TechNet payed subscription; perhaps they payed just so that they could test the operating systems - for whatever reason they had. Now they learn that they could have tested the operating system for free.

My point is this. You payed for nothing, and you are expecting to get something of which was never guaranteed or promissed to you. Although I would like to get updates to Windows Vista as well, I am not complaining that I don't, as I see no reason why Microsoft would spend time making two different updates for the same issue - assuming enough of a change between RC1 and RC2. I myself have programmed several small programs, and I have different versions of each. It is not very fun to go searching through the hundreds, sometimes thousands (more for an operating system) lines of code just to fix a small issue. Imagine doing this twice. When I make a different version, even just an upgrade, the code is fairly different than the previous version. My point, Microsoft is trying to release a product by the date they specified. Perhaps they no longer have the time to fix these issues for older builds of Vista.

Granted, I do not know anyone working on Vista, nor do I know anything that goes on behind the scenes. They may have other reasons to do this as well.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 9:47 PM
  • It's also my feeling too.
    Monday, November 06, 2006 3:41 AM
  • I have some understanding about the feelings of some of these people.  I just now found out there was a Vista RC2 that was available.  I had told myself that I would probably buy a copy of Vista if the beta was stable and such.  I had no security issues with it, just none of my games worked on RC1 (the ones I tried anyway) so that kind of really turned me off from getting Vista.  I'm a little frusterated that it was a limited download, and I really don't want to subscribe for something for one product.  I do however understand MS' view on it.  They don't want people to download it then complain when things don't work.  I however did try various things to get my stuff to work, sometimes in success, sometimes not.  Vista looked nice, but it's compatability stuff was poor for the RC1.  I would just like to end in stating that while I understand MS' view, it isn't fair for some of us who never even knew this second build even existed until now.  I'm sure Vista will be great, and I do plan to eventually get a copy.
    Monday, November 06, 2006 7:22 AM
  • ineed cd key for windows vista 5600 beta2 rc1
    Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:03 AM
  • did u read the starting post? RC1 key avaliable in the MS RC1 download page.
    Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:09 AM
  • I can't download Vista RC1 from the given link and from my E-Mail in firefox or IE7. Plus using the manager don't work either. Is there a link somewhere that doesn't give me an incomplete file?

Easkay

Sunday, November 12, 2006 11:31 AM
  • Try to use some others download manager. Such as Flash get.
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:25 PM
  • Okay, I have a different issue.  I have been testing since Beta 1 and have my key that I have used all along, but now when I try to use the key, it says it's already in use (like Duh, by me, of course), but I have no other systems with Vista on them and when I try to retrieve a new key, the Vista site says:

Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Windows Vista Customer Preview Program.

You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available for this program. Please check your e-mail, including filtered or junk mail folders, for an e-mail message from service@microsoft.com with your Product Key.

I looked through all my emails, junk and such, but I do not have the email.

How, then, do I retrieve a key?  I have not problem with not getting another key, just want a key that will work for me.

Kris

Friday, November 17, 2006 4:04 PM
  • For fast solution, use another Passport account to get another key from the web.
    Friday, November 17, 2006 7:23 PM
  • Hi everyone! Just wanted to pop in and give my 2 cents.

Firstly, I'm a huge beta tester. Testing since RC1. Have RC2. Problem I am having is... though my "live with" girlfriend, during one of our semi-annual blow-outs. My WinXP CD fell victim to her tantrums and was discarded so I have no OS CD. Now I am running on a time-trial OS and really need  to get the Subscriber Vista offer.

I have participated in every beta offer Microsoft has had to offer. Office, Live, Messenger, welp, you just name it, my computer is a complete beta system. Other than Visual Studio and Macromedia 8, everything else on the rig is beta. I participate in all Microsofts questionaries adn do not hate Microsoft.

Now though my googling... I found this:

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1551

If you’re an official beta tester and you filed at least one bug, you’ll get a copy too. Go to Connect (the official beta testers’ website), where you’ll find downloadable images of the x86 and x64 code and an agreement that you’ll need to electronically sign to get your choice of Vista Ultimate or Business.

Problem is I do not know if I was a CCP participant or am an official Beta tester. As per that blog, I have submitted more than 1 bug and posted several resolutions I found on the beta forums. How can I get an invite from Microsoft for teh Vista release?

Ny comuter is running out of time! Help point em in the right direction if possible.

Sunday, November 19, 2006 12:55 AM
  • UPDATE:

Sorry, dug through the CONNECTIONS site a little more. Is it the "Windows Vista Readiness Assessment Beta Program" ?

Sunday, November 19, 2006 1:07 AM
  • dear sir if u say like this where should we ask the questions. and microsoft given the product key then also the key is not accepting what is the problem.
    Sunday, November 19, 2006 9:46 AM
  • By the sounds of it, you are a CPP user, not a Beta user. Beta users have subscriptions to MSDN or TechNet, I believe.
    Sunday, November 19, 2006 5:46 PM
  • Sorry, what your problem?

Bu the way, the Vista beta program was closed! So, no more key will be issue.

Sunday, November 19, 2006 8:04 PM
  •  easterbunny wrote:
    By the sounds of it, you are a CPP user, not a Beta user. Beta users have subscriptions to MSDN or TechNet, I believe.

So this leads to another question... anyone know about a discount on Vista for CCP users? I'm kinda screwed since I do not have my WinXP CD anymore, did a clean install of Vista and will have no choice but to purchase Vista... or hack this build.

Monday, November 20, 2006 1:47 AM
  •  JustinP wrote:

easterbunny wrote:

As I know, the answer is NO.No discount.

Monday, November 20, 2006 2:48 AM
  • thankx
    Thursday, November 23, 2006 4:24 AM
  • it's time to close this thread now.
    Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:49 PM
  •  

Hi,

I've been emailed my product key, but the email doesn't tell me where I can download the Vista trial.

Could anyone provide me with a link?

Thanks,

DB

Saturday, November 25, 2006 3:06 PM
  • The beta download was closed. thx.
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 4:05 PM