none
UI Inconsistencies in Windows 8

General discussion

• Just thought I'd point out some inconsistencies in Windows 8 that are quite glaring and that I hope are resolved soon.  These issues destroy immersion and are just annoying for both long time users and new users alike.

• In the Start Menu, pushing the mouse against the right side of the screen will scroll the screen to the right.  This is very convenient if you have a laptop without multitouch like I do.  It makes scrolling easy, so I don't have to click the scrollbar at the bottom. However, this feature is not present in ANY other "Windows 8 style" app I have ever used.  In Weather, you need to physically click and drag the scrollbar at the bottom, and that just SUCKS.  This is 2012, and I'm clicking on scrollbars again.  And from a design standpoint, why would you teach me that pushing my mouse against the right side of the screen scrolls the screen, and then not let me do it anywhere else? It's like telling a kid that 2 + 2 = 4, but only on Thursdays.
      • The desktop doesn't initialize upon system start up until you click on the desktop app.  And no, this isn't a complaint that Windows goes straight to the start screen and not to the desktop.  I'm ok with that.  This is a complaint that the desktop ISN'T ACTUALLY INITIALIZED until you go there for the first time upon startup.  This means that hitting Winkey + 1, my most-used keyboard shortcut, doesn't open up the first of my taskbar-pinned programs.  The desktop does not exist until the first time you visit it, so any desktop keyboard shortcuts don't work until you actually go into the desktop for the first time.  This sucks because I really wanted to just hit winkey + 1 to load up Chrome straight from the start screen, but I can't.  I have to click the desktop button first.
      • Segregating search results into Apps, Settings, and Files was NOT a good idea!  At LEAST give me the option to keep everything in one place!  In Win7, I hit the Start key, type "in my," hit enter, and "In My Life" by The Beatles is playing within a split second.  I don't need to touch the mouse.  I don't even need to look at the screen.  Now I have to hit the start key, type "in my," MOVE MY MOUSE across my 23 inch monitor, physically click on "files," and then click on the mp3.  Yes, I know you can just hit winkey + f to search files.  But this is moving backwards.  I should have the option to have all my search results in one place.
      • In the Mail app, the email list extends a few pixels beyond the scroll bar for that list, which just looks funny.  I know that this isn't a huge pain in the ass like my other complaints, but it makes me feel like Windows, the most popular OS in the world, doesn't pay a design team.  Having misplaced pixels just feels silly.
      • Oh god.  Making a selection on the desktop by clicking and dragging my mouse to make a box over the icons is like the most fundamental component of Windows.  But now I'll throw my mouse to the top of the desktop, click, and drag down to select icons, but INSTEAD I grab and drag the ENTIRE DESKTOP because it functions as a Metro app (ehem, "Windows Style app") and it thinks I want to dock it!  I will NEVER want to do that!  Give me an option to make my desktop stop acting like a Metro app in that regard!  Go try it yourself.  Make a selection from the top of the screen, and instead of making the selection, your whole desktop will shrink away from you like it's some insubstantial entity.  This is probably one of my biggest problems with Windows 8: I am constantly given the impression that the desktop, the most fundamental part of my expensive gaming PC, is nothing more than a big-screen tablet app.  Give me the option to change that.  I'll live with the Start Screen.  It's not that bad.  But stop messing with the desktop.
      • I wish I could provide a specific example of this, but I can't remember what app I was using when this happened.  I'll try to recreate it as proof.  But there's some instances where in a metro app, the scrollbar is several pixels away from the edge of the screen.  This means I can't just throw my mouse against the right side of the screen and click to scroll anymore (since my laptop doesn't have gestures, I guess I have to do a lot of clicking), because the scrollbar isn't flush against the right of the screen but a little to the left.  So I have to swing my mouse to the right edge of the screen, then carefully and slowly move it slightly left to grab the scrollbar.

I'll stop now until I think of more.  I've been using the OS for a few weeks now, and I like it, but there are so many little cut corners that it drives me crazy.  You guys should have hired the Zune UI team to work on Windows 8.  The Zune music player is the most amazing music player I've ever used, and the UI is just phenomenal.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:12 PM

All replies

• Another inconsistency for the list is scroll bars. IE10 has thicker scroll bars from Windows Explorer. Both have a different style from Microsoft Office 2010 programs.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:04 PM
  • You can set up chrome to automatically start by using a scheduled task or making a shortcut in the startup folder.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:35 PM
  • According to Mr. Sinofsky's post, " Major changes have been made at each milestone and as we promised, the final release (build 9200, for those tracking) contains many promised refinements" so hopefully the pieces that feel unfinished will be worked out. The ones that are design choices, like light-gray on medium-gray thin scrollbars which are virtually impossible for me to see, or the incredibly limited amount of customization of the start screen, probably will not change.

Mark

Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:04 AM
  • According to Mr. Sinofsky's post, " Major changes have been made at each milestone and as we promised, the final release (build 9200, for those tracking) contains many promised refinements" so hopefully the pieces that feel unfinished will be worked out. The ones that are design choices, like light-gray on medium-gray thin scrollbars which are virtually impossible for me to see, or the incredibly limited amount of customization of the start screen, probably will not change.

Mark

...but... I already have the release version... right?  The version on MSDN and Dreamspark is the RTM, the final release, no?

And that's one thing that worries me most about Windows.  The updates.  Windows will have a major release (like the release of 7 or 8), but then it will have no big improvements after that.  User-wise, I mean.  It'll get security patches and critical updates to make it more secure, but in all honesty, the Windows 7 that exists now is basically the same to the end-user as it was upon release.  The biggest update Windows ever gets is a service pack, but even those add on only tiny things.  I MUCH prefer Apple's update process, where updates will actually add FEATURES instead of JUST bug squashing.  One day I would like to turn on my PC to see that I have an update that will allow me better customization of the Start Screen, or more control over how I use metro (I mean Windows Style) apps when on a desktop, etc.

But I'm afraid that just doesn't happen.  Maybe Win8 will be different, but if Win8 updates are anything like Microsoft OS updates for the past 20 years, it'll mostly be Patch Tuesday bugfixes.  I want the OS to evolve over time, so that instead of huge increment updates, there are rolling updates that bring good change over time instead of all at once four years later, when it's much overdo.

EDIT: just checked.  I have build 9200.
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Hi,

I will collect your concern and feedback.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 14, 2012 6:27 AM
  • Believe me they have lost all sense and understanding of what usability means. You will find countless such issues. Everything has gone wrong in Windows 8 from Windows 7. For scrolling, I found the mouse scroll wheel the best but that doesn't reliably work in all apps either.

You could use Skip Metro Suite to initialize the desktop as early as possible and to disable the horrid drag from top to close gesture and other parts of EdgeUI. Or if you want to disable only the EdgeUI on the desktop but keep it active inside Metro environment, use Classic Shell. Classic Shell's Start Menu search will also give you unified Programs+Settings results (although not files).

The scroll bar away from the edges of the screen is also happening for me in desktop apps but I can't repro it reliably either. It's all going downhill fast. Msft is doomed because UX is run by clueless people.

• Edited by xpclient Friday, September 14, 2012 8:15 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 8:09 AM