none
Output to multiple audio devices simultaneously?

Question

• Greetings,

A client has recently come to me with Win7 and asked if it's possible to output to multiple audio devices simultaneously. ie; They wish to have one program output through speakers and the other through a headset.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure it out and google hasn't been of any help.

It was possible with Vista by simply starting one program, changing the audio device, then starting the other program. They would both play simultaneously through their own respective devices. With the new stream switching in Win7 this doesn't seem to be possible.

Could anyone shed some light on this subject?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Thor20,

Based on my test, this can be achieved. Some applications such as Windows Media Player has the setting to choose the output audio device. For more information, please refer to this thread: Assigning an application to different sound outputs.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Thor20 Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:51 AM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Fantastic. It works.

Thank you, Linda!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:54 AM
  • My pleasure. :-)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:59 AM
  • What about me, who is trying to get multiple outputs on win7 to work simultaneously?

I have one win7 computer, and multiple amplifiers I wish to work simultaneously from seperate outputs.

I just can't justify why I can't set multiple outputs active simultaneously...

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:53 PM
  • What about me, who is trying to get multiple outputs on win7 to work simultaneously?

I have one win7 computer, and multiple amplifiers I wish to work simultaneously from seperate outputs.

I just can't justify why I can't set multiple outputs active simultaneously...

Do you not have any creativity?  Why post a hanger on a thread that is almos 2-1/2 years old?

Start a new thread with you own information!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:41 PM
  • My work around for simultaneous playback on multiple playback devices on Windows 7 is as follows:

In: the 'recording' tab,

then the 'What U Hear' properties of the device which I have already set to be my default playback device,

then the 'Listen' tab,

Check the 'Listen to this device' checkbox,

then select a second playback device under 'Playback through this device:'

The only issue is that this second device has a slight delay to it though not enough of a delay that say, lipsyncing looks out on either device but it can definitely be heard as an echo if both devices are heard at the same time. For me one is a usb headphone output and the other is through speakers via a soundcard so the workaround is ok but I recognize that this may not be ideal and that Microsoft should definitely add more functionality.

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 12:03 PM
  • I agree this is how I run to my inside speakers as well as my waterproof outside set up around the pool because people are always in an out during parties.

Previously VAC (not full version) was used as a repeater and also had delay but was a PITA to set up every time I wanted to have music both places.

I have two issues. One I want to be able to assign IE to one output and Chrome to another so I can play different music inside and out. 

Two I want this capability to be easy.

So, Microsoft stop being dumb about this and allow functionality. I know that it can be an issue with some sound cards but give a pop up saying that if it doesnt work its because your stuff isnt compatible dont just deny all users the ability. That's so apple-esk it pisses me off. I stay PC because I like customizing, if I wanted the computer to do every little thing for me I'd own mac, life would often be easier. MS will continue to lose ppl to mac until it sets up a way to enable dev options from the increasingly vanilla Windows that is being designed to show options so people like myself can still tinker while having a Windows version for people who arent competent enough to handle options. Staying like this will have people like me getting back into linux and everyone else on OSx.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 5:02 PM
  • a usb/fireware audio interface could allow you to do this

Online Mastering | Free Binaural Beats

Monday, September 03, 2012 4:10 AM