none
SYSPREP fails

Answers

• Check the log in the sysprep folder. I had the same error message recently. The log indicated failure when sysprep encountered drmv2clt.dll This is a Digital Rights Management dll. Look for a Windows Media Player process and kill this before trying sysprep. In my case it was wmpnetwk.exe that was running.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:18 AM

All replies

• It still will not work
    Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:48 PM
  •  

Since your question or comment has gone unanswered for so long, you can send a report on your experience  to the development team in this thread. 

Have Comments about Windows 7 Beta

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Check the log in the sysprep folder. I had the same error message recently. The log indicated failure when sysprep encountered drmv2clt.dll This is a Digital Rights Management dll. Look for a Windows Media Player process and kill this before trying sysprep. In my case it was wmpnetwk.exe that was running.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Are you using the built-in SYSPREP or one that you are used to using with XP/2003?  Navigate to c:\windows\system32\sysprep on the Windows 7 machine and run that one.  If you have already done that, please accept my apologies and disregard.

From my present location, I cannot see your image due to firewall restrictions.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:16 PM
  • I am having the same issue when trying to sysprep a machine using Windows 7 beta. TS99's suggestion was spot on. I had to kill the wmpnetwk.exe process, after that the sysprep completed successfully.
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I am having the same issue when trying to sysprep a machine using Windows 7 beta. TS99's suggestion was spot on. I had to kill the wmpnetwk.exe process, after that the sysprep completed successfully.
    • Proposed as answer by Eworthington Monday, July 23, 2012 8:03 AM
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Same issue here, in the 7100 build. TS99's suggestion was the workaround. (Hopefully this is going to be fixed in the release?)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:39 PM
  • I had tried this and it did not work... then noticed that the process starts itself again very quickly. Just wanted to post in case anyone else runs into that.
    Friday, May 01, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Same issue here, in the 7100 build. TS99's suggestion was the workaround. Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Have seen issue again on 7100, I'm told this will be taken care of in the next MDT 2010 Beta release.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Yes. We have seen this issue in b7100.
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 4:09 AM
  • I agree, I am running the RC and had the same issue which was resolved by ts99's entry.  I had to stop the service and then the process in order to proceed.

Monday, May 11, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Running RC1 fully updated as of today.. ts99's suggestion worked.

Monday, May 11, 2009 6:55 PM
  • Win07 didn't specify what the error was. Another error that can potentially come up is: Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred
     while executing 'C:\
    Windows
    \System32\slc.dll,SLReArmWindows', returned error code -2147023834

I thought it might have to do with not having activated the license. But I'm still get the error after activation. I read also that uninstalling the sound driver could fix this. It didn't. Any input?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:25 PM
  • Okay, I did ts99's fix but it seems to have opened a new issue.

If I reboot a recently sysprep windows 7 image after that fix, it tends to go to a black screen after the post with only mouse movement.  It never gets to windows.  Any ideas on that?  Video driver or part of a sysprep problem? 
    • Proposed as answer by butterfly819 Saturday, February 23, 2013 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:31 PM
  • I had to open the sysprep folder and get ready to run sysprep.
    I had to kill the wmpnetwk.exe and immediately start the sysprep process.

One time i didn't get it quick enough and it failed because the wmpnetwk.exe process started.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 1:43 PM
  • I can also confirm this issue still exists in the RC (build 7100). 

If Windows Media Player Networking Sharing isn't important to you, instead of racing to start sysprep before wmpnetwk restarts, you can stop and disable the service [named: Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service].
    • Proposed as answer by Scoopeloo Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:56 PM
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Don't forget to mention that this service will be disabled in the sysprepped image. I don't know if that's the idea, but it should be easy enough to put a batch file in your image to re-enable the service after sysprepping. Shouldn't that be a fix that MS could implement just as easy? Sounds as easy as:

function pre_sysprep() {
      if (service_running)
      {
        stop_service();
        create_batch_for_after_sysprep();
      }
    }

Etc ;-)
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I tried this with MS Vista and Windows 7 and sysprep was then able to work without error in both instances.  Thanks again!
    Monday, July 20, 2009 2:16 PM
  • For some reason, even disabling the windows media player network sharing service in msconfig still isnt working for me. I have double checked the services or processes running at the time of the sysprep attempt, and nothing from windows media player seemed to be running. The same fatal error just keeps coming up. I checked the error log in the sysprep folder, and it seemed to focus on the .dll issue that was discussed earlier. Also noteworthy, I have Windows 7 Pro. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:54 PM
  • You have Windows Pro but is it the RTM version.  Our problem also went away once we went from RC1 to RTM.   hope that helps you.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:39 PM
  • LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'drmv2clt.dll,Sysprep', returned error code -2147024864[gle=0x00000020]

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service is not running.
    Sunday, December 06, 2009 8:21 PM
  • All of your suggestions didnt work in my case. I happened to look in the event viewer and saw that the MSDTC failed to start. I ran the following from the cmd prompt running it as administrator:

net stop msdtc

result of that was that it was not running.

net start msdtc

result of this was failure to start. (the following was what the event viewer showed: some of the files may be missing, or corrupt. running msdtc -uninstall, then msdtc -install will fix the problem.) I did just what the event viewer said to do.

From the command prompt:
    msdtc -uninstall
    msdtc -install

net start msdtc

result started successfully.

From the path:  c:\windows\system32\sysprep\ sysprep /generalize

sysprep started working and successfully syspreped my machine.

I wanted to add my discovery in case others never found a solution where the "wmpnetwk.exe " running was not the issue for them.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I would like to add that I have started experiencing the same issues with Build 7600 too,

Exact same symptoms.

just FYI.

Thanks
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:12 PM
  • Hi guys

I just want to add that I have tried the commands above, but I'm still having the same problems.
    I'm still getting the error message:

"System Preparation Tool 3.14

A fatal error occurred while tryin to sysprep the machine."

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

• Proposed as answer by noodles164 Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:48 AM
    Friday, February 26, 2010 11:19 PM
  • I had the same issue performing the sysprep and didn't have the processes running in the task manager. After reviewing and following up with the forum I decided to stop the services for the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

Go to Start and type services.msc find the service mention above double click or right click and select stop.

The sysprep ran without any issues.

Thanks for everyone's contribution that let me to this resolution. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Stopping the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service worked for me!!
    sanjay
    • Proposed as answer by Yajnas Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:40 AM
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:40 AM
  • I can't beleive we are all experiencing these issues?

I have mixed success. Each time Sysprep fails, I have to investigate the cause andf then try again. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Is this what we have come to after all these years from Win3.1 to Windows 7?

Come on Microsoft, this really is rediculous................I thought these systems were supposed to be improvements. I have lost count of the hours I have lost trying to troubleshoot these various issues. Each time it goes wrong, I start again.

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Thanks Trev,

I killed the wmpnetwk.exe process and sysprep is running like a charm.

grtz Mark

Thursday, July 01, 2010 9:30 AM
  • You're welcome Mark!
    Trev Scott - Technical Design Lead, Ramesys. http://desktoptech.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 10:15 AM
  • We had a bunch of Dell Optima GX270's that work fairly well with Windows 7 32 Bit.  We were unable to get sysprep to work on this hardware, even if we only loaded the OS and no other software (we made sure the Windows Media Player Network Service was stopped).  We kept getting "A fatal error occurred....." message.  So in addition to some software causing Sysprep failures, there are some hardware configs that won't work either.

We finally gave up trying to Sysprep the hardware directly.  We instead built an image from a Hyper-V virtual machine.  We then added the Dell drivers to our Windows Deployment Service server and pushed it to our Dell PCs.  So far, we have no problems.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Agreed! We spent over 60 manhours on the weekend trying to make sysprep, unattend.xml (another huge pain) and imagex work. Still no success or very spotty success. No problem, we just had to delay our rollout. This is ridiculous.

BTW, media player is not an issue, I tried the MSDTC thing, we have the latest patched version of Win 7 Enterprise on brand new business-grade hardware.

Sysprep was running but failed after a few minutes and now fails immediately with the Rearm problem. It seems there is a problem with internal providers and external providers, whatever they might be. Here's the log:

2010-11-15 11:10:56, Error      [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'C:\Windows\System32\slc.dll,SLReArmWindows', returned error code -1073425657
    2010-11-15 11:10:56, Error      [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = -1073425657
    2010-11-15 11:10:56, Error      [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep generalize internal providers; hr = 0xc004d307
    2010-11-15 11:11:21, Error      [0x0f0073] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:Not running DLLs; either the machine is in an invalid state or we couldn't update the recorded state, dwRet = 31
    2010-11-15 11:11:21, Error      [0x0f00ae] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep cleanup external providers; hr = 0x8007001f

Any ideas gratefully received. Even more grateful if MS would fix this.

Alan MacKenzie asmac@hotmail.com
    Monday, November 15, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Our sysprep worked months ago and quit working we have been using

http://blog.brianleejackson.com/sysprep-a-windows-7-machine-%E2%80%93-start-to-finish-v2

and did not have any problems till now.

We run win7 enterprise (32bit and 64bit)  (currently working with 32bit for this writing) with Symantec Enpoint Protection on Dell optiplex PC's (520,620,745,755,780,960,980, etc..)  Using Symantec Ghost to deploy...

Tried from scratch, clean load, everything would fail after syspreping (Installed all updates and some basic programs)

"Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer."

Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981542/en-us  resolved the issue, had to find the 32bit version at alternate site since MS doesn't post 32bit version there...  http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?showtopic=14375 - Used for testing only... (Waiting for MS to respond to get patch from them)

Must be a update/patch causing this problem... I did install Windows live when it was failing.... Have windows live now and it works with patch. No issues with wmpnetwk.exe or antivirus. No Daemon tools installed.

Prompts for computer name during sysprep, joins domain, fully patched, ready to roll... Just need to work on deploying drivers depending on the model

BACK IN BUSINESS FINALLY!

Monday, November 15, 2010 8:48 PM

Worked like a charm for me.  THanks
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 2:01 PM
  • I couldn't access the log - though I didn't try too hard. But killing wmpnetwk.exe allowed sysprep to complete successfully.

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Another item to consider is how many times sysprep has been run on the same image using the /generalize flag.  If it has been run more than three times you will need to rebuild your image from installation media per this kb.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929828

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:18 PM
  • I am having the same quick failure.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:23 PM
  • This problem still appears on new Windows 7 PCs with SP1 integrated.

I closed all the processes to do with Windows Media Player and Sysprep worked flawlessly

Thom McKiernan (UK) @thommck | thommck.wordpress.com | MCSA | MCTS
    • Proposed as answer by Netauto Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Hi

This isue is in the UIU (Universal Imaging Utility) 4.6.2 in the last sec when the UIU have runned, the error SYSPREP 7 Error U050001 / 3.14

And then i have to from the top...

But the trick to kill the prosess mwpnetwk.exe does the trick..

Thanks....

Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:36 PM
  • Try terminate process from wmpnetwk.exe and try again.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 3:38 AM
  • Hi guys,

I have also a huge problem running sysprep. I get the Fatal error 3.14.

Think it has to do with the fact that one can only run three times sysprep on a machine.
    There is no mediaplayer process running, tried te mstdc -uninstall and install routine, everything without success so far.

Is there anyone who got passed the max number of running sysprep??
    Or is the only option left to rebuild the installation? And if so, how do I prevent this from happening again? In other words, how to reset the counter for sysprep runs?

Really hope that someone has an answer for this rediculous MS thing.

Cheers, Hans

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Is there anyone who got passed the max number of running sysprep??
    Or is the only option left to rebuild the installation? And if so, how do I prevent this from happening again? In other words, how to reset the counter for sysprep runs?

Using the sysprep /generalize command will reset Windows to the original licensing state.  This can be done only three times per Microsoft Licensing rules.  In our environment, we make a copy of the image before we generalize it for deployment in order to add new programs or patches and not hit the limits.  Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929828 and the links within for more information.
    • Proposed as answer by Marthe Monday, May 07, 2012 8:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marthe Monday, May 07, 2012 8:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Stopping the Windows Player Media Sharing Service worked for me!

Thanks for help!

Thursday, February 09, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Après 3 sysprep, regedit, trouver la clé SKIPREARM, remettre à 1 a chaque nouveau sysprep !

Marthe

• Edited by Marthe Monday, May 07, 2012 8:07 PM
    Monday, May 07, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Soltion for the above issue is,

GO to  Sysprerp folder i.e.  c:\windows\system32\sysprep\Partner  7 clean partner folder... Check below guide ..

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/solution-windows-8-and-windows-81-fatal.html

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/guide-fatal-error-occurred-while-trying_23.html

www.mytricks.in

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:25 AM
  • ran into the same issue with systemprep error and had to locate the wmpnetwk.exe file to kill it before proceeding. If you need to find the file you would click task manager and then go to processes and you should beable to kill the program like that once you kill it, it will sign you out and restart the computer and finish the installation process after that. Good luck
    Friday, September 07, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Bump for the sole fact we bought an Acer refurbished computer (Win 7 Home premium, Acer AMD quad-core AM3407G UW10p) and out of the box it gave me the error message "A fatal error occured while trying to sysprep the machine."

Really? Out of the box?

The computer would not perform it's first initialization/startup. It connected to the network/Internet, but none of the programs fully worked.

Thankfully I found this post and pulled up task manager and killed Windows Media Player (wmpnetwk.exe).

Computer completed its initial setup and seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the fix!

For search engine/tagging purposes:

Acer refurbished "A fatal error occured while trying to sysprep the machine."

Acer

Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:08 AM
  • Open command prompt

type or copy and paste this: net stop wmpnetworksvc & sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown

This stops the Windows media player network service (the service causing this error) right before running sysprep. Note: you can also restart the machine and run sysprep immediately since it takes a few minutes usually for the WMP network service to start up.

if you have unattend.xml file as well then assuming it is in C:\files:

net stop wmpnetworksvc & sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:c:\files\unattend.xml

• Edited by Nuclear Onion Monday, December 31, 2012 2:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by bobodread Monday, February 04, 2013 9:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by bobodread Monday, February 04, 2013 9:31 AM
    • Proposed as answer by neoTech123 Sunday, July 07, 2013 2:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by neoTech123 Sunday, July 07, 2013 2:34 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Ok I had this problem with a Dell OptiPlex 9010 that I am currently rolling out.  I tried all the solutions above (and a few more I'd happened upon during my travels trying to resolve this issue).

Ultimately the cause was the BIOS being set to UEFI.  I expect this will cause a number of problems with new equipment deployments.  At any rate the system WOULD NOT Sysprep without changing the BIOS boot sequence from UEFI to Legacy.

Hope this helps others in a similar situation.

• Edited by bobodread Monday, February 04, 2013 9:36 AM
    Monday, February 04, 2013 9:33 AM
  • This is what happens when you receive ""A fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine." :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929828

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Stop the service "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" solve the pbs for me.
    Monday, April 14, 2014 12:16 PM