none
Downgrade from Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to Windows 8 Pro?

Question

• OK I've gotten myself into a bit of  trouble.

I did my second Win 8 upgrade tonight, paying $40 for a 2nd upgrade key.  Everything went great and then I remembered I could install Windows Media Center for free until January. I already had a key from my first upgrade and stupid me, figured "since they give these things away maybe I can just reuse this key."

So I entered the key and Windows accepted it and did the upgrade, but of course when the system rebooted I had an activation error since the key was being used elsewhere (my other machine). OK, so I grabbed the key from my Win 8 upgrade receipt but that's no longer valid because it's a Win 8 Pro key and I now have Win 8 Pro With Media Center which is a different edition.

So now I have a machine that isn't activated. I can't figure out how to "roll back" to Windows 8 Pro so that I can use the key from my order receipt. 

I tried requesting another free Media Center Key but no joy there, maybe because I used the same email address for both upgrades? 

I can't find a place to buy a Media Center Key since MS is giving them away. And obviously I don't want to spend $40 for another upgrade fee.

Is there any way out of this mess? I can live without Media Center...I mostly was installing it because it was free. I'm just not sure how to uninstall it in such a way that it changes the edition of my OS to Windows 8 Pro again.

TIA for advice...my first post here and you folks seem like you know what you're talking about.

• Edited by pasmith000 Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:56 AM
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 7:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Contact Microsoft Support and try activate by phone :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

• Marked as answer by pasmith000 Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:52 PM
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:31 AM
  • you can use a different email address and should for a different machine. people
    have been reporting 2-3 days to get the key from MS.

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 07:55:33 +0000, pasmith000 wrote:

> maybe because I used the same email address for both upgrades? 

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Saturday, November 03, 2012 11:15 AM
  • The phone activation seems to have worked (and in the meantime I've requested another media center key from a different email just in case). Thank you both!
    Saturday, November 03, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hey. I have the exact same issue. I tried phone activation again just like you did but I get a response saying "Sorry, there seems to be a technical issue. Please call back again later.". I have requested for a media center key with different email address. I have still not received. Did you receive the Media Center key again?
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 8:05 AM
  • I did the same as well. seems using a new cdkey from another email resolved it for now.
    Friday, December 21, 2012 6:29 PM