none
Windows 7 (64 bit) installation stuck

Question

• I recently tried installing Windows 7 (64 bit) within from Windows 7 (32 bit) but the installation stuck somewhere and now I am not able to reinstall Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit). Laptop restarts or screen weired after loading setup files (on “Starting Windows”). And I tried to installing Windows XP professional to check the installation but it also restarts about 34 minutes to finish installation.

Following are my Laptop’s configurations:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 / 2.0 GHz ( Dual-Core )

RAM installed: 4.0 GB

Hard Drive: 320.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm

Display Type: 15.4 in TFT active matrix

Max Resolution: 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )

Graphics Processor Intel: GMA X3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0

Optical Drive: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM – Integrated

Please help..

Sunday, October 20, 2013 4:27 PM

Answers

• 1st:  What is the exact make, model, and series of your laptop?  The specs you provide do not identify the make, model, and series.

2nd:  You cannot run the 64-bit install from with an existing Win 7 32-bit environment.  You must boot from the 64-bit install media and do a completely clean install of the 64-bit Win 7.  You may have to obtain a third party utility to completely wipe your hard drive clean and start all over as you seem to have corrupted data on your hard drive at this time.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:53 PM

All replies

• 1st:  What is the exact make, model, and series of your laptop?  The specs you provide do not identify the make, model, and series.

2nd:  You cannot run the 64-bit install from with an existing Win 7 32-bit environment.  You must boot from the 64-bit install media and do a completely clean install of the 64-bit Win 7.  You may have to obtain a third party utility to completely wipe your hard drive clean and start all over as you seem to have corrupted data on your hard drive at this time.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, October 20, 2013 6:53 PM
  • Sorry to mention make & model. It is Toshiba Satellite A305 S-6858. Should I wipe whole hard drive or only drive 'C' where I have to install Windows 7. Can you suggest any free bootable utility to wipe my hard drive.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 4:49 AM
  • I suggest you go to the manufacturer website of the HDD and download a utility from them.  The utility will wipe the entire disk clean removing all information currently stored on it.

If you don't want to wipe the entire HDD clean, then try using your system recovery feature.  You will have to refer to your user manual for this as I do not know Toshiba's procedure for the recovery feature.  From the User Manual "...contact Toshiba Customer Support to obtain the Recovery media for your system."

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Thanks Rick Dee

I shall make a try for that and come back...

Monday, October 21, 2013 2:20 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I tried to wipe my disk with DBAN, but it shows that "DBAN finished with non-fatal errors. This is usually caused by discs with bad sectors". I could wipe my C drive with another program "Mini Windows XP" through Hiren's Boot CD. When I restarted laptop it says "Error loading operating system". After that I tried to install Windows from original recovery CD that came with my laptop. But unfortunately, I could not.. The problem is that during each installation “Windows is loading files” and “Starting windows” sessions are working perfectly. But, laptop restarts or screen flickers just about to start next screen “Language and Other Preferences”.

• Edited by Bijoos Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Since DBAN thinks the hard drive has bad sectors your hard drive may not be usable and that may be why you keep having troubles trying to get Windows working.  I suggest you try another hard disk utility.  There are some listed @ http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

If another utilities tells you there are bad sectors or other problems you will have to replace your hard drive.

• Edited by Rick Dee Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:16 PM
  • I used SeaTools for DOS to check my hard drive and it passed all tests without any problem.
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Now use the Full Erase option to completely clean your HDD and see if you can install Windows afterwards.  It will probably take a couple of hours to complete.

Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Can you suggest any bootable  HDD erase / wipe tool?
    Monday, October 28, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Read the User Guide for Sea Tools, it has an Erase option in it.

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:14 PM
  • I could manage to recover my laptop to factroy default (Vista Home Premium 64 bit). But finally when I restarted my laptop to finish recovery process it hangs, as before, on starting windows screen (after animating the loading bar). Please help.
    Tuesday, November 05, 2013 4:24 AM
  • Take your laptop to a professional computer repair shop.

Apparently your system has problems which are beyond the ability to diagnose in an internet forum.

Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:23 AM