none
RAID not recognized by Win 7 Professional

Question

• I am having a frustrating time trying to do a clean installation of Win7 64 bit.  I have a hardward RAID array and the RAID appears in Device Manager, but not in My Computer, so I cannot use the array.  Everything else in the installation is working fine.  My systems is

• Asus P6T WS Revolution -  BIOS is most current ASUS
    • X58 Chipset
    • Intel ICH10R Controller
    • RAID consists of four Seagate 1.5 TB drives in a RAID 10
    • Boot drive is a Vertex SSD, this is recognized and the system will boot either off the SSD or the optical drive

I am not quite sure what the problem is.  I have tried reinstalling WIN7 several times.  I should say that the RAID is set up in the BIOS before installing WIN7.  The first time I attempted the installation I just let WIN7 use its own drivers.  No joy, the RAID showed in Device Manager but not in My Computer.  I have tried three subsequent clean installs, each time installing a different RAID driver in F8 mode.  One driver was the most current for the ICH10R from the Intel site, the next was the second most current from the Intel site, and the last was a driver date Sept. 09 from the Asus site.  I have also tried loading Intel's Control Panel and Rapid Storage Technology.  This gives me a nice screen that also "sees" the RAID and tells me that it is healthy.  There is an option for "Initializing" the RAID on this screen and I have tried this, it takes several hours, so I assume it is formatting the array.  However, nothing I have found on the Intel panel will cause the RAID to be recognized.

In the F8 screen, at the point where third party drivers can be installed, the WIN7 install screen shows the Vertex as Drive 0 Partition 1.  It shows the RAID as Drive 0 with the space "Unallocated".  I have tried creating a single partition, and WIN7 will apparently not allow a partition bigger than about 2 TB.  I have nevertheless attempted to create a 2TB partition and format it, and WIN7 declines to format.  When I attempt to exit out of the F8 screen and proceed with the install, I get an error message saying the partition on the RAID cannot be recognized.

The reading  I have done on this suggests that the problem is to find a driver that will cause the RAID array to be recognized, but it is a somewhat frustrating process having to try driver after driver, having to do a clean install of WIN7 each time to see what the result is.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:27 PM

Answers

• I think I solved it.  In Intel Rapid Storage I was able to Initialize the drive (takes several hours).  Then in Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management I found instructions for managing the disk through a DOS program called DISKPART.  I used that to create a simple volume.  The syntax was to first pick the drive, once DISKPART was addressing the drive I used [create simple volume disk=0].  That created a simple volume over the entire approx. 3 TB.  Then in Disk Management I was able to format the array, and then was able to assign a letter and path.  Haven't used the array much yet, we will see how well this works, but it is now showing up in My Computer so the computer can address/write to it.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:24 AM

All replies

• You really need to contact ASUS Technical Support or go to the ASUS Support Forums.  Windows 7 does install on a RAID when the hardware is configured correctly and the installer supplies the correct software RAID driver.

You apparently are not doing something correctly and this is not a Windows 7 problem, so that's why you need to either contact ASUS Technical Support or go to the ASUS Support Forums for help getting your hardware configured correctly and ensuring you are using the correct RAID drivers!

Once you have everything straight, you will not have aproblem installing windows 7!  Presently this is not a Windows 7 propblem!  It is a hardware configuration and RAID driver problem best addressed by ASUS!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Well thanks, but I have seen others with the same problem, RAID array will not recognize, and they have other motherboards.  Do not mean to be filip or disrepectful, but how much do you want to bet that ASUS will say it is a Microsoft problem.  Then everyone will point at Intel. 

Must be a solution somewhere. 

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:25 PM
  • DadofSpot,

Are you trying to install Windows 7 on the RAID volume? Well you cannot do that on a BIOS based system as the RAID volume is bigger than 2 TB. EFI will take care of that in the future. All you can do now is use the RAID configuration to present a volume smaller than 2 TB. Then you can install Windows 7 on it.

More information about the 2 TB limit can be found in this thread.

Ray - Author of Windows 7 for XP Professionals
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:41 PM
  • Thanks, no, the array is not the boot drive, that is the Vertex.  The array is a storage drive.  Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management allows creating a GPT disk that is a spanned volume.  It is not bootable (fine with me), and is not subject to the 2 TB limit.  In addition, I have tried, in F6 Advanced Install, to partition the array so there is a 2 TB and a smaller volume, the partition appeared to work, but the installation then reported an error when it tried to proceed.

The basic problem is that the array does not get recognized in My Computer, or in the upper panel of Disk Management where I could assign a drive letter and path.  Right now, I have Intel Rapid Storage running and it is "initializing" the disk.  It is a long process.  I have tried this before and it did not solve anything, the array is still not recognized. 

I am pretty sure this is a driver issue, but have tried several drivers to no avail, including the current Intel driver for the ICH10R, but none of them change anything.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Well thanks, but I have seen others with the same problem, RAID array will not recognize, and they have other motherboards.  Do not mean to be filip or disrepectful, but how much do you want to bet that ASUS will say it is a Microsoft problem.  Then everyone will point at Intel. 

Must be a solution somewhere. 

Well, if it's a Windows problem why am I able to have RAID on ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, and Gigabyte motherboards?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Not sure if this will help.  Google brought this up:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=Striker+II+Extreme&id=20091024033559796&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

wes james
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:03 PM
  • I think I solved it.  In Intel Rapid Storage I was able to Initialize the drive (takes several hours).  Then in Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management I found instructions for managing the disk through a DOS program called DISKPART.  I used that to create a simple volume.  The syntax was to first pick the drive, once DISKPART was addressing the drive I used [create simple volume disk=0].  That created a simple volume over the entire approx. 3 TB.  Then in Disk Management I was able to format the array, and then was able to assign a letter and path.  Haven't used the array much yet, we will see how well this works, but it is now showing up in My Computer so the computer can address/write to it.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 1:24 AM
  • I am also having the exact same problem.  Have a ASUS P6X58D and the OS (Win 7 Pro 64 ) is on a Crucial SSD using SATA 6.0, thats been working fine.  I went into BIOS yesterday and set RAID on for the SATA 3 ports and rebooted.  Once starting to boot I,  Control-I and RAID manager in BIOS let me set the 4 HD up (WD VelociRaptor 150 Gb), rebooted into Win7 and and plugged in HD's and the RAID shows in the Intel's Control Panel and Rapid Storage Technology.  The RAID does not show up in My Computer, but will show up also in the Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management on the bottom half as unallocated, but no options to partition/format. Checked the drivers and all is up to date.  Am having the same results as DadofSpot and am pulling what liltte hair I have left out.  Havent found many mentions of this type of problem searching the internet.
    Monday, February 07, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Problem solved .......I Dual boot with XP Pro sp3 so my setup is XP on one drive, 3 x sata 500 drives, via XP i set up drive 0 as a 100gig and 400 gig partitions. Ok having just went through a fresh clean install of win 7 premium 64 bit installed to the 100mb partition on sata drive 0 and installing the ich10 drivers during setup I too could only see my xp drive and my win 7 partition and my 400gb storage partition, I know the raid is set up but how come win 7 doesnt see it?

Well you have to goto  Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management

it showed the raid setup with 1 tara = 2 x 500gb discs in raid 0 stripe mode but as unallocated.... so i right clicked the raid drives using disc management and it popped up discs have to be initialised before windows will recognise them so i initialised the discs took about 10 seconds as they were empty then right clicked them formatted them to a ntfs simple drive, assigned a drive letter and hey presto I now have an R drive (R for Raid) hope this helps you all

certainly easier than faffing about with DOS utilities

regards

Terry

• Proposed as answer by Mad ScotsBloke Friday, February 18, 2011 9:52 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 9:52 PM
  • I have much the same problem as you've described, but with one little difference.

First, I have the Intel RAID controller on an MSI mobo. I have too installed the Intel RAID Rapid Storge Technology and Intel's Control Panel, which like your original problem, DOES SEE the RAID array. I have the Win7-64bit installed on another drive. The array in question is not the OS volume. I can see the RAID array during boot within the RAID configuration, and I also see it in the Intel Control Panel.

So here's my difference... This array has a great deal of data on it. It was working just fine until I flashed my BIOS to a new version. I'm really hoping NOT to have to format the whole thing to gain access to my data again.

If you have any insight that you think might help, I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thansk.

Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:54 AM
  • This is precisely the info that I needed. For the past day and a half, I have been struggling with the exact same problem. I did not need to use DISKPART (at least, not in the foreground...) and was able to simply right-click the unassigned drive, select the 'create xxx' option that suited my need and follow the on screen prompts. Thank you for allowing me to learn from your experiences!

-Cheers!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:00 AM