none
DCOM Errors on Home PC - Help

Question

• I'm not quite sure as to where I should post this, but I'm in dire need of help. DCOM is freezing my PC practically entirely, with these error messages in my Event Viewer. 

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service McAfee SiteAdvisor Service with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{5A90F5EE-16B8-4C2A-81B3-FD5329BA477C}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service COMSysApp with arguments "" in order to run the server:

{182C40F0-32E4-11D0-818B-00A0C9231C29}

These are the typical ones that come up, anyway. Now here's where it bugs me. This is a simple home computer, not connected (or supposed to be) to any other computer. I don't even know why it's running at this point. I never had any problems with it, nor did I even know it was on my computer until recently. My sister came home from college a couple of days ago, and I shared with her a file from my computer. The Homegroup service was used to upload the file to her computer. Problems arose afterwards.

After the upload, I closed the lid on my laptop, and when I opened it the next day, my PC was hanging, processes were freezing abnormally, and it was unbearably slow. To the point where it's brought me down to using Safe Mode, which I am communicating with you all at this moment. I had errors concerning the Computer Browser, Server, Workstation and Homegroup services before I disabled those. I had problems with WSearch, McAfee Site Advisor, Event System, COMSysApp and the ShellHWDetection as well, which are also the only persistent ones now.

I went to look on my DCOM Configuration settings, and found that DCOM isn't even enabled. I'm convinced that it is, but it's not checked off. It might be a virus, but it seems legitimate enough that I wouldn't think that it was. I ran some scans anyway, with no results. 

Next on my list of things to do was to do a clean boot. Went on to the msconfig and I did so. However, the problem still persisted, and my computer still freezes. Which in turn lets me know that it's one of the Microsoft services. It's a good start I suppose, but I don't want to be stopping all of the services. I haven't tried, and I haven't the foggiest idea which service it could be, as there is no DCOM Service, and I don't believe that it would be the COM+ service. Unless of course it is, but I'm not sure I want to try it.

I've had this error for two days now, and I need further help from some more experienced members of the community. 

I just read up on COM+, and found that it's for developers. I do make programs from time to time with Visual Basic for fun, but I'm not a serious developer, and I'm fairly sure that I don't really need it. Would it be safe to disable it for the time being? 

Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it, as this is my only computer.

EDIT: I realized that my system specifications might aid the process. 

Acer Aspire 5742-6458

Intel (R) Core i3-370M CPU with Integrated Graphics

15.6 HD LED LCD

6GB DDR3 RAM

640GB Toshiba MK6465GSX HDD 5400RPM 8MB Cache

Hope that's enough.

• Edited by SirProblem Friday, October 14, 2011 1:18 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:57 AM

Answers

• Temporarily uninstall McAfee and check the result. If the issue persists, I suggest you run In-place Upgrade to repair the system.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:14 AM

All replies

• Bump.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Bump. Can anyone help me? 
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:14 AM
  • Boot the systems into Clean Boot Mode to troubleshoot.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, October 17, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I am in Clean Boot Mode right now. However, the issues are still persistent.

• Edited by SirProblem Monday, October 17, 2011 8:12 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Temporarily uninstall McAfee and check the result. If the issue persists, I suggest you run In-place Upgrade to repair the system.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:14 AM